PDA

View Full Version : Theatripaikhnidophobia - was ludosgerophobia

silas the monk
2008-12-06, 06:49 AM
Does anyone know of or could invent a latin/greek origin word for the hatred of roleplayers? "ludosgerophobia" is the best I can come up, but it is just based upon a few minutes of searching on the web.

update
Best version so far is "Theatripaikhnidophobia".

Castaras
2008-12-06, 07:12 AM
Does anyone know of or could invent a latin origin word for the hatred of roleplayers? "ludosgerophobia" is the best I can come up, but it is just based upon a few minutes of searching on the web.

Phobia is fear, not hatred. So you'd probably need something else, unless you're going for Fear.

llamamushroom
2008-12-06, 07:18 AM
Technically, you should be looking for Greek words, as -phobia comes from phobos, which is Greek for fear (hence why it's the name of one of the sons of Ares, god of war).

silas the monk
2008-12-06, 07:30 AM
Technically, you should be looking for Greek words, as -phobia comes from phobos, which is Greek for fear (hence why it's the name of one of the sons of Ares, god of war).

Yes silly me. According to the web (http://frengly.com/translations/_yourtranslations/list.jsp) fear of games becomes:

φόβο των παιχνιδιών

So may be "paichoidophobia"? Sorry my greek alphabet is awful.

Theodoric
2008-12-06, 07:42 AM
So may be "paichoidophobia"? Sorry my greek alphabet is awful.
Paikhnidophiobia would be a more accurate transcription. The 'v' is an 'n'.
Don't know wether it's the correct word, though: I can't seem to find my Ancient Greek Dictionary.

silas the monk
2008-12-06, 07:51 AM
I also tried translating "fear of theatrical games" getting

φόβο των θεατρικών παιχνιδιών

so maybe

Theatripaikhnidophobia

mikeejimbo
2008-12-06, 12:46 PM
Alternatively, if you're looking for a word meaning "hatred of roleplayers" then you might try "being a DM".

Fax Celestis
2008-12-06, 01:34 PM
Alternatively, if you're looking for a word meaning "hatred of roleplayers" then you might try "being a DM".

Mike wins the thread. Everybody go home.

mikeejimbo
2008-12-06, 02:04 PM
Mike wins the thread. Everybody go home.

Whee! I don't think I've ever won a thread before.

Fostire
2008-12-06, 02:36 PM
Phobia is fear, not hatred. So you'd probably need something else, unless you're going for Fear.

Yes, but it is also used for any sort of aversion (for example hydrophobia used to describe a chemical's repulsion of water or homophobia used to describe hatred of homosexuals).

Comet
2008-12-06, 04:38 PM
hydrophobia used to describe a chemical's repulsion of water
This made me think of Discworld, for some reason. :smalltongue:

silas the monk
2008-12-06, 05:00 PM
In discworld there is a form of levitation powered by hydrophobia.

mikeejimbo
2008-12-06, 06:04 PM
Yeah, the hydrophobe wizards. They also have a lot of power over other water things, like storm systems. Through sheer terror of water, they can drive away storm clouds, for example. And they often end up dying through disgust at the water present in their own bodies.

Hydrophobia is also an old term for rabies.

Asbestos
2008-12-06, 06:47 PM
Yes, but it is also used for any sort of aversion (for example hydrophobia used to describe a chemical's repulsion of water or homophobia used to describe hatred of homosexuals).

A buddy of mine and myself didn't like 'phobia' being used to describe anything other than a fear of something, so we thought maybe some form of miseo would be best for hating. It gets wonky though because generally its used as a prefix (as in misanthrope or misogynist) rather than a suffix.

So.. maybe a misathetripaikhnidoist would be someone that hates RPers?

Fostire
2008-12-06, 09:56 PM
A buddy of mine and myself didn't like 'phobia' being used to describe anything other than a fear of something, so we thought maybe some form of miseo would be best for hating. It gets wonky though because generally its used as a prefix (as in misanthrope or misogynist) rather than a suffix.

So.. maybe a misathetripaikhnidoist would be someone that hates RPers?

I never liked using it that way either, but it's how people use it.

BobVosh
2008-12-06, 10:21 PM
Yeah, the hydrophobe wizards. They also have a lot of power over other water things, like storm systems. Through sheer terror of water, they can drive away storm clouds, for example. And they often end up dying through disgust at the water present in their own bodies.

Man, Prachett is awesome.

herrhauptmann
2008-12-07, 02:24 AM
His trolls are also rather like high-performance computers crafted in the late 80s early 90s.
Sucky and slow in the heat, but once the temperature drops they become frighteningly intelligent. Reason is that trolls are made of rock, (metamorphic rock: They look like rock deposits from the region where they're born. And exact composition also helps determine position within troll society) and have brains and nerves of impure silicon and quartz. So thought, which is the firing of synapses, generates heat within their brains that is not easily dissipated, slowing the thought process down. (This is what happens when an electrical operator becomes a writer)

It would be a dumb joke if done only once, but he's maintained that through over 10 years of novels. I only wish I had access to the book where he first really explains it, because he does it so much better than I ever could.

TheStagesmith
2008-12-07, 02:37 AM

Er, I have issues with that, since it's actually a symptom of the disease, not a name for the disease itself, IIRC.

Back on topic:

A) Mike is win :smallbiggrin:

B) On a similar note, the word "jock" comes to mind.

C) also a paintballer at a LARP event

silas the monk
2008-12-07, 05:33 AM
"being a DM". did make me laugh, but cannot really win as it does not fit with "arachnophobia", "xenophobia", "homophobia", "agrophobia", "technophobia" etc.