PDA

View Full Version : From the World of Valdemar: Need, Geas-Blade

Who_Da_Halfling
2008-12-06, 08:12 AM
Ok, so I've been running a one-shot campaign that expanded into a full-blown campaign, and I've been toying around with the idea of giving the PCs an artifact that could guide their adventures. My girlfriend suggested that Need from Mercedes Lackey's Oathbound series could be a very interesting artifact/plot device. I was curious as to what people thought of this idea and what it should look like (in terms of D&D stats and such, not so much physical appearance).

I have some ideas but was just looking for other input. My girlfriend is pretty much an expert on Lackey and Valdemar, so I think I've got a good base.

Basically, Need must:

- Encourage her wielder to aid women and provide some way of knowing when such a need exists
- Provide sword-skills to mages and magical protection to warriors
- Be magically bonded to its wielder in some way
- Only function for women

Those are the most important tenets. I will post exactly what I have for those later, but I wanted to toss the net out now and see what people thought.

Is this item as interesting as I thought? Is it even a good idea to put something like this in the hands of the PCs (the only two female PCs are a Cleric and a Wizard, and the party is not at all into optimizing)?

Any input is appreciated (or ignored if its unhelpful, so post whatever!)

Edit: Almost forgot, the game is a mix of 3.0/3.5 (the PHBs the players have are all 3.0, but all my DM source stuff is 3.5, so we're kinda winging it), so the item should conform to that. I don't have much in the way of splatbooks either (PHBII, Complete Arcane/Warrior, plus some 3.0 ones like Song and Silence).

-JM