PDA

View Full Version : Mirror's Edge

SilverSheriff
2008-12-06, 08:37 AM
I've just finished it and I have to say that I am not impressed at all.

I came across a box that I needed to get on top of to get to the next location, I kept jumping and jumping to try and get on that damn box, so I got impatient and just ran at the box and jumped.

the ending is also very anti-climatic, although I choose not to disclose it for the sake of people who haven't themselves reached this point.

I found the game to be boring and very linear without any re-play value other than doing the whole thing again but without guns and trust me; I'd rather go out into the back shed and eat the contents of my father's toolbox.

If you have to play it: Rent it.

Sewer_Bandito
2009-01-14, 10:05 PM
Really? I just got done with my first playthrough and thought it was fantastic. Somewhat infuriating during a few of the puzzles, yes, but all around great. I'm playing it through the second time doing the time trials and am having a blast with it. Already somewhat knowing how to quickly solve the puzzles and being really familiar with the controls now, it's exhilerating. Sprinting through the level non-stop, flying across rooftops and finding the quickest way from point a to b is very satisfying. Also knowing you can be a level in 6 minutes that formerly took you 30 minutes gives a feeling of accomplishment.

My one complaint was that the story was somewhat weak. Other than that, everything was spot on and should be even better the second playthrough.

Rogue 7
2009-01-15, 12:37 AM
Mirror's Edge was on my high list of games to play over break, but I ended up just getting sucked into Tales of Vesperia instead. (Son of a Kroot, I desperately want to play that game so damn badly, and I've only been away from it for a few days now. I've got months to go. Months!) It's definitely going to be a rental for me over the summer when I've got some more free time (in between my second playthrough of Vesperia, of course.)

JerryMcJerrison
2009-01-18, 02:43 AM
Probably won't ever get around to buying it due to it costing money, but I played the demo and its was awesome. I saw a preview of the expansion pack and those extra levels look really fun as well. I can tell just by looking at it that if I were to play on those, I would spend like 4 hours running around like an ADD kid in a playground made of sugar.

Arang
2009-01-21, 10:37 AM
I liked it. I can see how the combat would be frustrating without guns, though. I'm also unconvinced that it was too short, even though it was a three-day affair. The only thing I missed most fundamentally was a quick save. Why wouldn't a state-of-the-art game with years of work behind it have this rudimentary function? It makes no sense and every developer who omits the quick save is a bad person.

Also, I think the runner vision would've been better if the objects you were supposed to look for were just red all the time instead of fading in and out. Another thing that bothered me was that the levels sometimes felt more like obstacle courses than whatever locale you were in. Not big issues, but annoying nonetheless.

Arang
2009-01-25, 10:03 AM
Having replayed it, combat without guns is actually fluid, natural and just better than with. A lot of the times you only have to take out some of the soldiers rather than all of them. If there were achievements on the PC, I'd go back and get them. The only problem is the outrageously small disarm window on the assault rifle guys, who usually come in pairs to boot.

Also, the story was less than excellent and lacked closure. Specifically, what happened to the SWAT team on the roof? Did they just call it a day when Jackknife died and the helicopter crashed? Did they suddenly contract a terrible disease, about which the story of the second game will revolve? Did they have to try and disarm themselves and quit the game in frustration? We may never know.

Ethrael
2009-01-25, 10:12 AM
Surprisingly, this is one of my favourite games of all-time. I loved the idea for it, the controls were a far-improved version of Assassin's Creed's free running controls.

However, there are a few comments which I've read or heard about which I accept as true as something which I found annoying too. These include the length of the game which is very short. Even though it takes a while to get into to it, it still takes only about 5-6 hours to explore the whole thing. There's also the storyline, which is pretty obvious and cliché, but I never considered that to be the centre of the game. And lastly there is the fact that sometimes its unbelievably difficult to get something right, and if you die and start from checkpoint, that checkpoint can be up to a whole two-three minutes back of playing.

Overall, however, I loved it. It was truly original and with the rumour that EA is adding extra material at the beginning of this year, I can't wait for more. :smallbiggrin:

Zeful
2009-01-25, 11:40 AM
Why wouldn't a state-of-the-art game with years of work behind it have this rudimentary function?Because the designer hates save-scumming? Quick save doesn't add much to the game play and can actually remove or invalidate some thematic elements.