PDA

View Full Version : [Portrait] Twilight (Done)

Sucros
2005-12-02, 05:28 AM
The wizened form that stands before you flies in the face of everything you've heard about elves aging gracefully. The woman's auburn and grey hair is falling out in patches, and her dark, wasted flesh lies loosely on her bones. Only her piercing yellow eyes betray the life that stubbornly clings to this world

Twilight doesn't get around much. Nowadays she's mostly a ward of the tiny hamlet of Pommet where she resides. She spends most of her days tending to her garden or reading any books that have come her way, and her evenings are spent regaling the townsfolk with the tales of her long life.
Twilight has a massive, firsthand knowledge of history and other ancient knowlege, and many are the travellers who travel far to partake of her wisdom.
But her knowledge goes back well farther than the lifetime of even an elf, for Twilight is not truly an elf. Twilight is a powerful coatl, and ancient spirit for good in the world, who has walked the lands since perhaps even its creation.
Twilight was granted a task by an elder coatl, to protect a small tribe of humans from the influences of the cults of Orcus. Twilight observed the small tribe from a distance, until a human came to impress them with his vile magic and convert them. Twilight panicked and presented herself, slaying the foul cultist. The superstitious tribesmen then offered their worship to the powerful coatl. Baffled, Twilight decided it was better that they worship a coatl than a demon prince, and focused her energies on protecting the tribesmen from cultists who wished to wipe them out with skeleton armies. The humans saw their "godess" protect them, and took it upon themselves to hunt for proper nutrition for their protector, so that she may better protect them.
Eventually, the humans and Twilight drove away the cultists, and Twilight's task was complete. But Twilight had grown to love her tribe, and decided to stay with them.
Twilight grew vain with the praise of the tribesmen, and grew complacent with their gifts. One day, a missionary of Pelor came to convert the tribesmen to the light. Unwilling to lose her worship, Twilight slew the holy man.
Now, coatls aren't like you or I. They are beings of pure good. When their souls turn to evil, it eats away at their being. Twilight's glorious emerald scales turned to brown flakes; her feathers dried, turned a brown-red, and started to fall out.
Twilight took refuge in a mortal form to slow her eventual destruction, and to hide from her peers who heard tales of her sin. To an immortal spirit, especially an evil one, death is not a thought to be fathomed. Twilight soon became obsessed with transcending her condition and returning to immortality. She believes that, were she able to reform herself as a fiend of pure evil, her decay will end. And so she sends any others she can in search of any information pertaining to fiends, by any means possible.

Twilight's description as a coatl:
Rough, brown-black scales border a wasted serpentine form. Wings of dried, blood-red feathers adorn the sides of this vile creature. The sight of the creature brings to mind a tree in autumn; on the verge of becoming a lifeless skeleton.

Twilight's Current actions:

Twilight will use any means necessary to get information pertaining to the planes. Many are the adventurers who seek her out for her knowledge of archeological matters, and often they make a deal to exchange knowledge, and they have pleasant dealings.
But often, Twilight is more pragmatic than that. She will lure in adventurers she hears of with dreams, and is not above sending a phantasmal killer to one party member in her employ to send a message to the others.
Twilight will go so far as to use planar binding to stage a planar invasion, and will send brave adventurers off to tombs in search of the "cause" to bring back to her, so that she may "fix" the problem.
Twilight rarely battles, usually playing the part of the old crone and getting the town's woodcutter (whom she keeps dominated at all times) to protect her. If truly displeased, Twilight will use her plane shift to send her enemies to the abyss or the nine hells, and then goes there to negotiate the terms of a return trip.

Twilight the Elf Crone (CR 13)
Coatl
CE Humanoid(elf)
Init +7
Senses Darkvision 60ft, Listen +16, Spot +16
Aura none*
Languages Celestial, Common, Draconic, and infernal; Telepathy 90ft.
---
Armor Class: 11 (+1 Dex), touch 11, flat-footed 10
hp 63 hp (12 HD)
Saves: Fort +8, Ref +9, Will +12
---
Attack: Unarmed strike +13 (1d3+1 subdual)
Full Attack: Unarmed strike +13 (1d3+1 subdual)
Base Atk +12; Grp +13
Spells: Twilight casts spells as a 12th-level sorcerer. Spells Known (6/7/7/7/7/5/3; save DC 14 + spell level):
0 - acid splash, cure minor wounds, daze, inflict light wounds, light, obscuring mist, ray of frost, read magic, resistance;
1st - endure elements, mage armor, magic missile, true strike, wind wall;
2nd - acid arrow, undetectable alignment, eagle’s splendor, scorching ray, silence;
3rd - dispell magic, fireball, suggestion, sepia snake sigil;
4th - contagion, ice storm, phantasmal killer;
5th - dominate person, dream;
6th - planar binding.
Psi-Like abilities: Effective caster level 12th. The save DCs are Charisma-based. At will—detect chaos, detect evil, detect good, detect law, detect thoughts (DC 16), invisibility, plane shift (DC 23), polymorph (self only).
---
Abilities: Str 13, Dex 13, Con 10, Int 17, Wis 19, Cha 18
Special Qualities:Ethereal Jaunt (Su): This ability works like the ethereal jaunt spell (caster level 16th).
Skills: Concentration +14, Diplomacy +17, Jump +0, Knowledge (history) +18, Knowledge (arcana) +18, Knowledge (religion) +12, Knoweldge (the planes) +13, Search +15, Sense Motive +16, Spellcraft +15 (+17 scrolls), Survival +4 (+6 following tracks), Tumble +15, Use Magic Device +15 (+17 scrolls)
*Twilight would normally radiate an aura of overwhelming evil and overwhelming chaos, but has undetectable alignment cast on herself at all times.

Twilight, Fiend-aspirant (CR 13)
Coatl
CE Large Outsider (native)
Init +7
Senses Darkvision 60ft, Listen +16, Spot +16
Aura none*
Languages Celestial, Common, Draconic, and infernal; Telepathy 90ft.
---
AC 21 (–1 size, +3 Dex, +9 natural), touch 12, flat-footed 18
hp 87 hp (12 HD)
Saves: Fort +10, Ref +11, Will +12
---
Attack: Bite +15 melee (1d3+6 plus poison)
Full Attack: Bite +15 melee (1d3+6 plus poison)
Space: 10 ft
Base Atk +12; Grp +20
Special Actions: Constrict (Ex): Twilight deals 2d8+6 points of damage with a successful grapple check.
Improved Grab (Ex): To use this ability, Twilight must hit a creature of up to two size categories larger with its bite attack. It can then attempt to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity. If it wins the grapple check, it establishes a hold and can constrict.
Spells: Twilight casts spells as a 12th-level sorcerer. Spells Known (6/7/7/7/7/5/3; save DC 14 + spell level):
0 - acid splash, cure minor wounds, daze, inflict light wounds, light, obscuring mist, ray of frost, read magic, resistance;
1st - endure elements, mage armor, magic missile, true strike, wind wall;
2nd - acid arrow, undetectable alignment, eagle’s splendor, scorching ray, silence;
3rd - dispell magic, fireball, suggestion, sepia snake sigil;
4th - contagion, ice storm, phantasmal killer;
5th - dominate person, dream;
6th - planar binding.
Psi-Like abilities: Effective caster level 12th. The save DCs are Charisma-based. At will—detect chaos, detect evil, detect good, detect law, detect thoughts (DC 16), invisibility, plane shift (DC 23), polymorph (self only).
---
Abilities: Str 18, Dex 16, Con 14, Int 17, Wis 19, Cha 18
Special Qualities:Ethereal Jaunt (Su): This ability works like the ethereal jaunt spell (caster level 16th).
Skills: Concentration +14, Diplomacy +17, Jump +0, Knowledge (history) +18, Knowledge (arcana) +18, Knowledge (religion) +12, Knoweldge (the planes) +13, Search +15, Sense Motive +16, Spellcraft +15 (+17 scrolls), Survival +4 (+6 following tracks), Tumble +15, Use Magic Device +15 (+17 scrolls)
*Twilight would normally radiate an aura of overwhelming evil and overwhelming chaos, but has undetectable alignment cast on herself at all times.

Sucros
2005-12-02, 05:29 AM
Mostly an extra post, incase I decide to add stuff. Art aside, I think I've got everything, so feel free to comment away.

Sucros
2005-12-06, 07:16 PM
Oh man, I finally built up the courage to post my "art". Here goes, try not to laugh too hard

http://img524.imageshack.us/img524/6529/isuckatart5nv.th.jpg (http://img524.imageshack.us/my.php?image=isuckatart5nv.jpg)

DarkMonkey
2005-12-07, 12:07 AM
A collage. interesting, very interesting. One question though: how is this wintery or autumny? I like twilight, but you might have some problems with the theme.

Sucros
2005-12-07, 03:24 PM
Twilight is in a state of prolonged decay, a slow death. Her hair/feathers have even turned red and are falling out. That's what I thought of when I thought of fall.

heretic
2005-12-07, 07:58 PM
You should perhaps make that more clear in the original post. I missed that as well and you don't want the voters to misenterpret you.

fireinthedust
2006-01-21, 10:03 PM
I think it reminds me of autumn... and the thrust of the human spirit in struggle against the oppression of a cruel world, like a leaf grasping onto the edge of a twig during a thunderstorm!!!!!

and mittens. my sisters. she lost them, did YOU find them? no?