PDA

View Full Version : Prestige Classes [PrC, Peach]

insecure
2008-12-06, 08:25 PM
So, I like to homebrew and especially to make classes. Prestige classes, namely. I don't know why, though... Anyway, I think I could need some more experience, and it's always good to do some exercises. So, I hereby declare this thread to be where I just can spit out PrCs, improve my 'brewing skills, and hopefully get constructive critique.

---

PrCs so far:
True Hunter (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5427834&posted=1#post5427834)

insecure
2008-12-06, 08:28 PM
Let's get this started, shall we?

Here goes...

---

Derain said silently on the crag overlooking the Tenyahl forest. Calmly waiting for his target, he flexed his muscles, ready to fire as soon as he saw the mark walk past on the road below. The cold breeze cleared his thoughts and no animals disturbed him, making him able to focus entirely on his surroundings.

Oarsen, accompanied by his loyal pet, the white-feathered hawk Bearden, walked through the forest following the road towards Denrust Keep. Enjoying the woods, his pet hawk chirped joyously, and Oarsen hummed along. Feeling the renewing breeze in their backs, they found delight in this trip.

"Chock!"

An arrow flew past Oarsen's arm, hitting the tree to the left of him. Twitching, Oarsen stepped aside behind a large oak, surveying the landscape for any marksmen.

Derain cursed his impatience. If he had waited half a minute more, he would have sent the arrow to where it rightfully belonged - in the eye of the orc. There was no way Oarsen would come out now.

Oarsen drew his sword. Someone was after him, and deeming on the angle the arrow came from, his enemy was on the top of the crag.

Derain's mind quickly ran through the actions he could take now. In the end, he chose to draw his sword and hunt this orc in his favored way.

Oarsen spent a moment thinking over the possibilities which presented themselves. In the end, he chose to assume his fighting stance and battle this person, his favored solution to such problems.

Sliding down the crag in the fastest possible way, Derain was a grace to behold. The elf's steps were perfectly timed and he didn't slip just once. With a stern look, he was ready.

Oarsen was an experienced warrior. Having lived a life as a sell-sword for most of his life, he anticipated the elf approaching him. With a sharp sword, he was ready.

"Clang!"

Their swords clashed. With a single word, Oarsen sent the hawk away while parrying Derain's blow. Snarling, Derain swiftly kicked the orc, sending him prone to the ground.

A smile appeared on Derain's face as he readied himself for another attack, hoping to send this filthy orc to the deathbed of Grumsh. Leaping forward, sword high above his head, Derain's sword met Oarsen's quick blade on its way down. Losing balance for a few seconds, Oarsen seized the opportunity to get back upon his feet.

Circling, they eyed each other. No one other than the two combatants sat food on the damp moss. Here, on the road towards Rustden Keep, one of them would make the grass turn red.

Oarsen was the first to launch an assault. His blows landed like anvils, hammering through the elf's defenses, cutting a hole in Derain's chainmail after a few successful blows.

But Oarsen was losing himself to his sudden rage. Derain concentrated his thoughts, and with a thrust of his sword, he connected, causing a wound to form in Oarsen's unprotected chest. Blood spilling forth, the orc assumed a confused look for a moment too long, letting Derain finish his job.

Swiftly, Derain had succeeded on this day's task.

True Hunter

http://fc35.deviantart.com/fs16/f/2007/121/9/9/Elf_by_NathanRosario.jpg

"The twisted deserves no mercy." -
Denrain, marksman and lone adventurer, roaming the lands around the Tenyahl forest, searching for orcs and seeking to kill them.

The truly vile creatures must be dealt with in some way. These abominations have to be vanquished from our lands at one point, lest they will gain foothold and corrupt our culture.
The True Hunters are trained to deal with specifically one type of monsters, excluding all others only in search of those he have deemed his target for his wrath, relentlessly chasing those creatures. Many prefer a life alone, but some work in groups, stalking the monsters which they see as the ultimate aberration, sharing the same beliefs.
Believing in many of the same things as the ranger, True Hunters are almost only rangers, although a few rogues and fighters have also found interest in this path too.

Requirements
BaB: +5
Feats: Track, Endurance, Self-sufficient
Class Abilities: Favored enemy

Class skills (4 + int modifier): Balance, Climb, Concentration, Escape Artist, Gather Information, Hide, Intimidate, Jump, Listen, Move Silently, Ride, Search, Sense Motive, Spot, Survival, Swim, Tumble

Hit Dice: d10

{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+1|
+2|
+2|
+0|Deep hatred, Hunter's insight (Language)

2nd|
+2|
+3|
+3|
+0|Deathmark, Hunter's insight (Creature lore)

3rd|
+3|
+3|
+3|
+1|The endless hunt, Hunter's insight (Weak spot)

4th|
+4|
+4|
+4|
+1|Chaser's sense, Hunter's insight (Dodge)

5th|
+5|
+4|
+4|
+1|Vengeful blow, Hunter's insight (Stalking)[/table]

Class features:

Weapon Proficiencies: A True Hunter gains no proficiencies in weapons nor armor.

Deep hatred (Ex): All True Hunters share one thing: an extreme grudge against a specific creature. As you enter the class, choose one of your favored enemies. The bonuses against that type of opponents now increases by +2. This particular favored enemy is henceforth called "Hated Enemy".

Hunter's insight (Ex): As you advance along the path of the True Hunter, you pick up the occasional trick, supporting your abilities as a hunter. At each level of the class, you learn a new thing:

Language: You've learned the language of your favored enemy after all the time you've spent to seek them out and eradicate them. Add the language of your hated enemy to your languages known

Creature lore: You have studied the cause of your gripe in this world, giving you a +4 bonus to all knowledge checks related to you hated enemy.

Weak spot: You know the anatomy of your hated enemy thoroughly. When battling your hated enemy, your critical hits against those now deals +1d4/class level precision damage.

Dodge: Your training in combating the forces you despite so much has added some tricks to your sleeve. You may add a +2 dodge bonus to your AC against attacks launched by your hated enemy.

Stalking: You know every little quirk about your hated enemy, allowing you to add the bonus granted by you Favored enemy and Deep hatred abilities to Hide and Move silently checks.

Deathmark (Ex): Focusing your efforts on one person entirely, you gather all of you hatred and turn it towards this enemy, ready to kill it anytime. At second level, you gain the ability to, once per day as a swift action, target one creature. Against this creature, you know gain a +4 insight bonus to all of your attack rolls, damage rolls, and your AC. This stance lasts for one round per class level.

The endless hunt (Ex): When you reach third level, your endurance gets knocked up another notch. Whenever you choose a target for your Deathmark ability, you gain a +10 ft. bonus to your movement speed when trying to outrun it. In addition, you also gets a +5 bonus to your Survival check when tracking this particular creature, and a +4 bonus on any con checks made to avoid fatigue. These bonuses lasts until you have killed the marked creature or 24 hours have passed, whichever comes first.

Chaser's sense (Ex): Your senses have developed into some above the normal, granting you a new ability at level four. You gain scent as an extraordinary ability. Also, you gain low-light vision out to 30 ft. If you already have low-light vision, add 30 ft. to the range of it.

Vengeful blow (Ex): By gathering all of your hatred, spite, and grudges, you combine them into forming a powerful attack at level 5. Once per day as a swift action, you may declare your next attack to be a Vengeful blow. For all purposes, this attack counts as a critical hit and all threat confirmations will automatically succeed. This doesn't activate weapon enhancements, such as vorpal weapons.

SurlySeraph
2008-12-06, 09:17 PM
I like it a lot. It's highly specialized, but in a campaign where you face the same enemy a lot would be very useful. It seems about as balanced as something so specialized can be.
However, the capstone is a bit underpowered. Depending on your weapon, that could be no more than an extra 1d4 damage once per day. I'd let you use it at least 3/day.

Ascension
2008-12-06, 10:09 PM
Two comments.

First, what if you already know your Hated Enemy's language? Can you take another language?

Second, the Deathmark stance lasts five rounds maximum? I think I'd add your Wisdom bonus to duration. Sure, it's a really nice ability, but if you can only use it once a day against one particular enemy, five rounds is a bit... short.

insecure
2008-12-07, 07:06 AM
Two comments.

First, what if you already know your Hated Enemy's language? Can you take another language?

Second, the Deathmark stance lasts five rounds maximum? I think I'd add your Wisdom bonus to duration. Sure, it's a really nice ability, but if you can only use it once a day against one particular enemy, five rounds is a bit... short.

For the language thing, I don't really know what to add instead. A bonus to disguise when you are in a disguise of you hated enemy, maybe?

On the Deathmark note: Instead of making it last longer, I'd rather give you more uses of it per day. It's supposed to help you take an enemy down as fast as possible.
On the other hand, this PrC if I make it to good, there would be no reason for a ranger to not enter this class, short of a lack of spell-casting and fewer skills.
On the third hand (:smalltongue:), the ranger, as far as I know, is considered slightly underpowered.

I like it a lot. It's highly specialized, but in a campaign where you face the same enemy a lot would be very useful. It seems about as balanced as something so specialized can be.
However, the capstone is a bit underpowered. Depending on your weapon, that could be no more than an extra 1d4 damage once per day. I'd let you use it at least 3/day.

I don't really know about the 3/day thing. It's supposed to be an attack that you save for the nastiest monsters, the BBEG, and so on, but I agree that it could use some upgrading. What about making the weapon damage rolls automatically turn up as max in addition?

Greg
2008-12-07, 07:15 AM
On the Deathmark note: Instead of making it last longer, I'd rather give you more uses of it per day. It's supposed to help you take an enemy down as fast as possible.
How about WIS bouns times/day.

insecure
2008-12-09, 05:54 PM
How about WIS bouns times/day.

Yeah, maybe I should use WIS more. So, what about this?

Deathmark can be used a number of times per day equal to your WIS modifier.

Vengeful blow makes the attack auto-hit and crit no matter what, and also deals precision damage equal to your WIS score.

Is that balanced?