PDA

View Full Version : Which Wondrous Item sounds coolest? [Items Posted! Thanks!]

Kellus
2008-12-06, 10:50 PM
So I'm doing paizo's RPG superstar thing, and am trying to decide which of the wondrous items I've made to submit. I don't want to put in the full write-ups for obvious reasons, but I'm going to give a brief description of them in the hopes that you forum-people can tell me which sounds coolest. Once I've picked which one I'm putting in,I'll stick the rest up here for you guys to see. :smallsmile:

(Please don't steal anything! :smallwink:)

Boots of Subjective Gravity: Treat any surface as a floor, fall towards distant objects, or change other people's relative gravity by kicking them!

Caltrop Cap: A jester's hat that you can pluck caltrops off of, with various special properties such as jumping, invisible, or poisoned.

Clerical Error: A false religious symbol that transforms Turn Undead attempts into something akin to a rod of wonder.

Coins of Infiltration: A pair of coins; if you're holding one, you can see and hear as if you were at the same location as the other. You can also teleport between the two of them.

Mirrored Lenses: Turn gaze attacks back on the gazer.

starwoof
2008-12-06, 10:54 PM
Clerical Error is definitely the funniest.

Shadow_Elf
2008-12-06, 10:56 PM
Boots of Subjective Gravity.
I want a pair of those sooooooo badly :smallbiggrin:.

Icewalker
2008-12-06, 11:05 PM
Coins of Infiltration. They allow for a lot of interesting actions, but at the same time they are limited enough that they aren't game breaking. The first one, while awesome, sounds like the kind of thing PCs will use in some crazy setup to get an insane result, generally along the lines of overthrowing a government.

Of course, if you do use the Coins of Infiltration, you must provide a number of opportunities for them to be used, be it a PC sneaking in somewhere, or giving the coin to someone so you know it will find it's way into the enemy base, whatever.

Galileo
2008-12-06, 11:21 PM
Clerical Error. Everybody loves puns!

Zeta Kai
2008-12-06, 11:23 PM
I second the Coins of Infiltration. They have the most practical utility. Throw one coin out through the bars of a jail cell, activate the other, & you're out of prison.

The Clerical Error one is quite humorous, though.

EDIT: BTW, does this count as a VUA-Magic-Item? :smallwink:

Szilard
2008-12-06, 11:28 PM
Coins of infiltration can be used to rob a bank with ease...:smallamused:

Kellus
2008-12-06, 11:31 PM
BTW, does this count as a VUA-Magic-Item? :smallwink:

Um. I guess? I really was just looking for advice. I won't neccessarily go with the favourite from here, but I wanted some feedback to find out if other people liked the idea of some of these as much as I did.

That being said, there are a few things about some of them I don't like as written right now. Boots of Subjective Gravity are very, very awkwardly written to fit in under 200 words with three distinct effects, and mirrored lenses aren't nearly as interesting as when I thought of them.

mikeejimbo
2008-12-06, 11:44 PM
Aww, I'm the only one that likes the Caltrop Cap. Admittedly though, I would vote for ANY magic item that looked like a jester cap.

... *remembers his avatar*

That probably doesn't surprise you. :smalltongue:

Kellus
2008-12-06, 11:46 PM
Remember, if it loses, I'll be putting up the stats for it anyway. :smalltongue:

Copacetic
2008-12-06, 11:53 PM
The Subjective Gravity Shoes.

"Gravity Schmauvity. My people practically invented gravity. As a matter of fact, they did."

-Dr.Who

Animefunkmaster
2008-12-06, 11:58 PM
Coins of Infiltration, even without the teleportation, solid item, and good name (beware there are rings that do this already in magic item compendium)

Hawriel
2008-12-07, 12:09 AM
Caltrop Cap: A jester's hat that you can pluck caltrops off of, with various special properties such as jumping, invisible, or poisoned..

This is a pritty nice item. I could see this in the DMG if it was thought of. Maybe make it like a bag of tricks whare the color of the hat determines what three properties and how many usess each one has.

Clerical Error: A false religious symbol that transforms Turn Undead attempts into something akin to a rod of wonder.

That would be awsome. Just think of what a Rogue or Bard would do with a item of Clerical Error in a bureaucracy heavy society.

Judge Hangem :"Hmm it appears that there was a problem in the clerks office. Swift finger Fynn is free to go. Next time Sheriff you should be more diligent in filing your court documentations."

Fynn walking out of the court house kisses his quill of clerical error.

Then I read the what you ment by clerical error. That would be funny.

Coins of Infiltration: A pair of coins; if you're holding one, you can see and hear as if you were at the same location as the other. You can also teleport between the two of them.

This looks cool. At first I thought it would be to powerful. But the you could set the sight and sound limit into a radius or as a normal human/elf/dwarf. Teleport could be one way.

Mirrored Lenses: Turn gaze attacks back on the gazer.

I would think that most gaze monsters would be immune to their own gaze attacks. But then Clash of the Titans does set that presidence. Its works. Not alot of critters have thoughs kind of attacks.

These are cool ideas. Yes I will be stealing them for my campaine. Reading peaples Ideas can be interesting some time I like them some times I dont. here are four cool ones.

adanedhel9
2008-12-07, 12:30 AM
Notes from a participant in last year's competition:

The boots of subjective gravity, coins of infiltration, and mirrored lenses all jump out at me as items (or at least effects) I've seen before. I don't know that I can name specific items or even the books I've seen them in, but they don't strike me as wonderfully original. And I'm not nearly as well-read as the judges, who will be looking for original ideas in the first round.

The clerical error sounds like a fun item, but I hope that the random effects are not too wild (as the rod of wonder's tend to be), or most players will see it more as a curse than as a useful item. I could also see problems with getting this under the 200-word limit, though it sounds as though you've got that figured out already.

I find the caltrop cap the most solid item you've got. It's fun and unique, has a strong visual appeal (which will sell me on most any item), and is quite useful.

Regardless of which item you choose, be sure to polish it till it shines. And good luck:smallsmile:

Kellus
2008-12-07, 12:37 AM
Notes from a participant in last year's competition:

The boots of subjective gravity, coins of infiltration, and mirrored lenses all jump out at me as items (or at least effects) I've seen before. I don't know that I can name specific items or even the books I've seen them in, but they don't strike me as wonderfully original. And I'm not nearly as well-read as the judges, who will be looking for original ideas in the first round.

The clerical error sounds like a fun item, but I hope that the random effects are not too wild (as the rod of wonder's tend to be), or most players will see it more as a curse than as a useful item. I could also see problems with getting this under the 200-word limit, though it sounds as though you've got that figured out already.

I find the caltrop cap the most solid item you've got. It's fun and unique, has a strong visual appeal (which will sell me on most any item), and is quite useful.

Regardless of which item you choose, be sure to polish it till it shines. And good luck:smallsmile:

Interesting. Thanks for the tips! I've never seen any magic items or effects other than reverse gravity or some planar traits that play around with gravity in D&D, so I think the boots are okay. I may be wrong, though. There are indeed a couple items or spells that are similar to the coins, but mine have a few neat perks I haven't mentioned.

I'm leaning towards either the coins or the clerical error right now; I have indeed found a way to get around the word limit for the error, although it wasn't easy. It's basically a variety of possible magical effects that hit everybody in a small area around the caster. The save DC and range are identical for all of them, so I only had to describe them once. :smalltongue:

But yeah. Whatever I pick, I'm gonna be rewriting it several times to make sure that I'm making the most of every word. Pricing is going to be annoying, too.

Mewtarthio
2008-12-07, 01:05 AM
I'd vote either the coins of infiltration or the caltrop cap.

KKL
2008-12-07, 01:05 AM
Coin of Infiltration is top tier awesome.

Limos
2008-12-07, 01:45 AM
I like the boots of subjective gravity. I would want that one the most.

Fizban
2008-12-07, 04:34 AM
The boots have been done in Planar Handbook, the coins are a combination of listneing coin and gemjump, but could be made unique enough.

The two most unique I think are the Caltrop Cap and the Clerical Error. I don't usually like random effects, but I'd have to see the table to decide. There are other caltrop producing items, I've seen jumpers, acid dissolving, and poisoned before, but I've never seen them hanging off a cap all in one place. Therefore I vote (non-vote? nod in the general direction of?)

Caltrop Cap

Mercenary Pen
2008-12-07, 04:41 AM
Clerical Error

white text will rule the universe.

Debihuman
2008-12-07, 09:39 PM
Definitely Clerical Error.

Kellus
2008-12-07, 09:51 PM
Thanks for the advice, everybody! I ended up deciding to go with none of the ones I proposed, but your comments really helped me figure out what aspects of an item were good or not. That is, what makes a good Wondrous Item. I'm not submitting it yet, since I still need to super-polish it, but I think it's really neat.

Anyway, I promised I'd put some up, so here you go. They're made for Pathfinder, but are pretty much interchangeable with normal 3.5. :smalltongue:

Boots of Subjective Gravity

Aura moderate transumutation
CL 13th
Slot feet
Price 45,000
Weight 2 lb

DESCRIPTION

These boots have 4 charges, which are restored every day at dawn.

Anyone wearing the boots may treat any surface they’re touching as if it were the ground. They don’t gain a climb speed, although they may treat any surface as if it was the floor for the purposes of any kind of movement. This is a constant effect.

By expending one charge, the wearer may designate any surface within 230 ft. as the ground. They immediately begin to fall towards it, and are subject to the normal rules and penalties for falling. Activating this ability is a swift action.

By expending two charges, the wearer may attempt to target another being. This requires a touch attack as the wearer kicks the target with the boots. If successful, the target must succeed on a DC 20 Reflex save or the wearer may select any surface within 230ft. as the target’s new ground. This effect otherwise works exactly like the other active use of the boots, except that it has a duration of 13 rounds.

CONSTRUCTION

Requirements Craft Wondrous Item, reverse gravity; Cost 22,500 gp

Clerical Error

Aura faint universal
CL 5th
Slot –
Price 7,600 gp
Weight 1 lb

DESCRIPTION

A clerical error looks exactly like a holy symbol of a deity, but all the symbols engraved on it are slightly wrong. Anyone examining a clerical error can recognize it as an error with a DC 15 Knowledge (religion) check. Although unpredictable, these talismans are prized for their versatility.

To activate the error, the bearer must expend one use of thier Channel Energy ability into it. Instead of the normal effect, all beings (including the bearer) in a 30ft. burst around the talisman are subjected to a different effect, determined randomly on the following chart.

{table=head]d8 Roll|Effect on Targets
1|Deafened (Fortitude negates)
2|Confused (Will negates)
3|Entangled (Reflex negates)
4|Become incorporeal (Fortitude negates, harmless)
5|Dazzled (Will negates)
6|Petrified (Fortitude negates)
7|Become invisible, as invisibility (Will negates, harmless)
8|Roll twice, ignoring further results of 8[/table]

These effects have a DC of 14, and last for 5 rounds unless cured by another means.

CONSTRUCTION

Requirements Craft Wondrous Item, bestow curse, creator must be able to Channel Energy; Cost 3,800 gp

Coins of Infiltration

Aura moderate conjuration
CL 7th
Slot –
Price 32,000 gp, 4 cp
Weight –

DESCRIPTION

These innocuous coins always come in sets of two, and look like normal copper pieces. They provide a range of abilities to aid in any larceny.

A being holding one of the coins may focus as a full-round action to activate a clauraudience/clairvoyance effect, with the other coin as the sensor. This function can be used once per day per coin and has a range of up to 680ft.

Once per day per coin, a being holding one of the coins may activate a dimension door effect with a range of up to 680ft. to teleport into the space occupied by the other coin.

Finally, divination effects used on someone holding one of the coins reveals only information appropriate to the person holding the other coin, as per the misdirection spell. A spellcaster may ignore this effect with a DC 14 Will save. This ability works for up to 10 rounds per day. The bearer of either coin may activate or end it as a swift action.

CONSTRUCTION

Requirements Craft Wondrous Item, clauraudience/claurvoyance, dimension door, misdirection; Cost 16,000 gp, 2 cp

I'm not really happy with how the other two turned out, so I'm not putting them up yet. Maybe later. Also, bear in mind that the wording may not be perfect on all of these, since I haven't polished them that much.

Magnor Criol
2008-12-08, 03:28 PM
Wow, quite spiffy stuff. I especially like the Coins of Infiltration; that's a really innovative idea that has a ton of flavor to it. Very fun.

Of course, the Clerical Error has the benefit of a built-in pun...so that's always nice. It'd be interesting if there was a way that a cleric could, actually, make an error whilst attempting to craft some sort of holy symbol and create one of these completely by chance.