PDA

View Full Version : critisism is needed please help.

juggalotis
2008-12-07, 10:06 AM
running my 4players into level 30-32 encounter. they are all level 30 final campaign fight. trying to come up with the fight. im attempting to avoid gargantuan/collosal monsters. i went with 2 balors(level 27 elite brute), a sorrowsworn deathlord (level 28 lurker)and a 30th level archmage wizard pc as their opponants. doesnt seem right though. any advise?

Mando Knight
2008-12-07, 10:22 AM
The final fight of a campaign is usually something that's supposed to be memorable: Lich overlord, Ancient dragon, Orcus, Tiamat...

Unfortunately, unless you have already come up with a BBEG for them to trounce, you'll need to go at least Huge (Tiamat), and probably Gargantuan. (Orcus, Ancient dragons, Tarrasque)

Also, you should never use PC rules to create an NPC opponent, especially in Epic levels. The wizard has far more powers than the other opponents, and PC powers tend to deal a lot of damage (in order to take down the masses of hitpoints that are the Solo monsters), while their HP is far lower than the monsters they fight beside. Use the DMG's creation rules, and add on the Wizard template instead. Possibly Lich, too.

juggalotis
2008-12-07, 10:33 AM
basically the entire campaign is all drow. The end battle is verses menzoberranzen's Archmage. and the magority of his powers are chosen to augment the battlefield or hinder the enemies rather then just blasting them to dust. for example necrotic web and force cage

Tsotha-lanti
2008-12-07, 11:37 AM
You still shouldn't make him a PC, because he's going to have crap for HP and way too many dailies and encounter powers. PCs do not make any kind of balanced enemies. Make him an Elite Controller (probably with the Wizard template), at a level just barely above the PCs'.

juggalotis
2008-12-07, 01:50 PM
i am aware of that im just trying to have it in a way that it will work. hence the lower leveled monsters. also i have him equiped so that the players will have to kill him 4 times to finish him off for good. the way my campaign goes i want him to have the same powers as the other pc's (purely for storyline reasons.) what im stuck is if the monsters i picked are appropriot for this level of battle.

Immutep
2008-12-07, 03:17 PM
Speaking strictly from a fluff point of veiw, why are the balors there? being Tanari'ri Demons (unlike the other things you mentioned) and they tend towards being overlords in their own right. I think the reason you're having trouble with this encounter is more to do with the reason behind their prescence than the actual encounter level. Although it is possible for one Balor to summon another it always struck me as odd since they are supposed to be generals and would probably dislike asking another Balor for aid as it might be taken as a sign of weakness by a rival.

As for using a PC for the main villain, not so much a problem IMHO. just remember that he will unbalance the encounter level more than a challenge rating/direct class level exchange would suggest and balance accordingly.

If this is the penultimate battle of a campaign then where's the reoccuring villain? Surely this fight should be against him and his best bodyguards (i speculate here as i don't know the full details of the campaign but if there's no grand schemist that the party have set out to destroy or simply need to remove to ensure their own future survival then how can you say this is the final fight with any certainty?)

juggalotis
2008-12-07, 03:22 PM
ok the wizard pc is the reocuring villain. he is the archmage of menzoberranzen (think gromph baenre from the r.a. salvatoore novels but different name to not get sued lol) the balors are summoned by him as well is the sorrowsworn deathlord. which is why they are there.