PDA

View Full Version : Hello. I'm new at D&D and I wanted to ask a question or two

Zer Kaizer
2008-12-07, 10:54 AM
I never played a tabletop game, and my only experience with the game is the pc game Neverwinter Nights.

I don't have anybody to play with around here and I heard that games took place on this forum.

Is there a tutorial on this forum I can use to learn how to play D&D?

kamikasei
2008-12-07, 11:03 AM
Not really. You see, the thing is that important parts of the game are not publicly available - they cannot legally be published in a venue like these forums, you have to read the books to get them.

What can be done is to contact someone willing to teach you who can then provide the needed information and other guidance via PM, and/or join a beginners' game in th PbP section. However, my advice would be to find a venue near you where you can play in person - it goes much more easily that way, if you can sit down with someone and have things explained to you in real time. I suggest looking for a gaming store in your area, and seeing if either they host games, advertise for them (via billboard, etc.) or can point you towards a suitable group.

There are some threads buried in the archives where people were looking for help putting together tutorials. None are finished, though, as far as I know.

You should also be aware that there are multiple versions of the game. Neverwinter Nights was based on the 3rd edition rules, and 3.5 edition, which was an evolution/refinement of those, is probably the most widespread on the boards. 4th edition was recently released and is what the publisher is now supporting, so you may have an easier time getting materials / a group for it. It's also supposed to be more accessible for new players. So, you'll need to decide which you want to learn. I will say that 3.5 has more online resources that can be used as a reference while you're learning, though.

Keld Denar
2008-12-07, 11:07 AM
Check over on the play-by-post forum on here. There are some guides on recruitment and general ettiquette.

If you've never played a flesh n blood D&D game, I'd suggest starting out as a player. This gives you a chance to see the mechanics in action (which differ slightly from NWN) and observe another player DMing before you attempt to take on that role yourself.

A lot of players who play online perfer using a virtual tabletop and a VoIP program like Skype or Ventrilo. This gives a more "in person" experience than a play-by-post game, where a single encouter could take days or weeks to resolve. www.openrpg.com is one such virtual tabletop program, although there are a few others, IIRC.

A lot of players who post on here have had sucess "converting" friends to try the game, or family members. Maybe you'll have some luck with that.

Bonecrusher Doc
2008-12-07, 11:45 AM
A couple links you might skim over.
But most of all, if you want to play Play-by-Post DnD on this site, I recommend going to eBay or Amazon and getting yourself a v3.5 Player's Handbook (from what I have heard, 4th edition is more combat heavy which is more of a pain on play-by-post. Play-by-post games tend to do better if they are role-playing heavy.)

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46074
www.d20srd.org (all the tables and rules from the player's handbook, but without the explanations)

lisiecki
2008-12-07, 11:53 AM
I never played a tabletop game, and my only experience with the game is the pc game Neverwinter Nights.

I don't have anybody to play with around here and I heard that games took place on this forum.

I. Believe that there was one on how to play it at Wizards.com
Honestly neverwinter MIGHT be a good way to learn it rules wise it depends on the version your using.

If the cover of the book is brown and has a gold seal on it, there the same rules in 90% of the cases.

However if it has a cover with a dragonman and a human wizard, not so much.

Flickerdart
2008-12-07, 11:59 AM
Temple of Elemental Evil is a lot stricter about 3.5 rules than Neverwinter Nights, but it's pretty hard even for someone that knows them, and only goes up to level 10.

lisiecki
2008-12-07, 12:26 PM
Temple of Elemental Evil is a lot stricter about 3.5 rules than Neverwinter Nights, but it's pretty hard even for someone that knows them, and only goes up to level 10.

Oh im not saying your WRONG, but the OP said that he/she/it has only played NN. IIRC then the differences between the game and 3.5 (brown cover with the gold seal) are pointed out in instruction manual. Thats not a bad place to start,

Flickerdart
2008-12-07, 12:31 PM
Oh im not saying your WRONG, but the OP said that he/she/it has only played NN. IIRC then the differences between the game and 3.5 (brown cover with the gold seal) are pointed out in instruction manual. Thats not a bad place to start,
Oh, yes, I had missed that little bit.

Depends which NWN, again. NWN1 was 3.0-based, which could serve to some confusion over minor things.

Stupendous_Man
2008-12-07, 12:38 PM
Here you go:

Well folks. After collaborating with a friend of mine IRL, I believe I have your answer.

The Introduction to DnD
I will explain with a song!

“Let's start at the very beginning
A very good place to start
When you read you begin with A-B-C
When you play you begin with P-H-B
P-H-B, P-H-B
The first three letters just happen to be
P-H-B, P-H-B

Now people, PHB, MM, and DMG
are only the tools we use to play DnD.
Once you have these rules in your head,
you can play a million different campaigns by mixing them up.

When you know the rules to play
You can play most any way!

Together now!

When you know the rules to play
You can play most any way!

P . . . HB
D . . . MG
T . . . oB
S . . . RD
L . . . oM
X . . . PH
P . . . lH CAr
SaS ECS -- Du, UA, SpC!”
-Solo

Now that I’ve got that out of my system, I think we should begin discussing what DnD is about at the most fundamental level. Dungeons and Dragons is a co-operative game between a storyteller – the Dungeon Master – and the characters in his story – the Players. The goal is, obviously, to have fun by doing things impossible in real life, be they seducing bar wenches, slaying dragons, or raiding the gates of Hell.

Of course, having fun is subjective; you will find people who prefer to think of DnD as a wargame, or see it as a way to act out their characters through social encounters. All ways of playing are equally valid (within the bounds of the rules and common decency, of course); it’s just a matter of finding what you like and getting into a group that suits yourself.

People who prefer to use DnD as an acting tool are known as role-players (no, not that kind). These are the people who engage in conversations with NPCs instead of Fireballing them, act according to what their character would do instead of what the player would, and immerse themselves in the DM’s world. Fun times.

Power gamers seek to make the most mechanically efficient character possible within the limits allowed in the game. These are the people who can reliably save the party’s collective behinds when the Unexpected Surprise shows up.

Power gaming need not be at conflict with roleplaying and/or good behavior at the gaming table, as is often though to be the case. These are not mutually exclusive behaviors. Power gaming merely seeks to create a sound character; how this character acts is in the realm of roleplaying, while not outshining the rest of the adventuring party and etc is under the jurisdiction of good gaming manners.

There is a word for people who break the rules in order to come up with unnecessarily powerful characters: Munchkins. Don’t be a munchkin. The DM can beat your character in game and, thanks to the wonders of aluminum and fiberglass baseball bats, out of game as well.

Anyhow, the ideal player will have a workable, fun to play, productive, character, who gets along well with the rest of the party, the gaming group, and is conductive to fun for the whole party.

The most basic DnD game needs three elements; the Player’s Hand Book, the Dungeon Master’s Guide, and the Monster Manual. These make up the “core” game.

To quote Kamikasei’s post on the subject, without permission, http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3068866&postcount=4

This lets you know the basic idea of how the game* works

Now, I shall talk about the eleven classes outlined in the Player’s Hand Book by linking to a post by Dausuul, again without permission.
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3179625&postcount=44

There is also Falrin’s guide on your “first steps” in DnD, which I have deemed worthy of being linked to.
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52924

In addition to the general advice, there are specific guides and handbooks to playing these classes. The best seem to exist on the Wizards of the Coast Character Optimization Board, but our own Giant in the Playground Boards do have a few gems.

The most famous is this Guide to Wizards by The Logic Ninja, http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18500

Solo’s Sorcerer Guide takes the “Batman” concept, applies it to Sorcerers, and runs with it. Hilarity ensues. http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74801

AKA_Bait's recent guide to DMing would fall under this category.: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76474

Non-indigenous guides:

WotC Campaign Smashers: http://boards1.wizards.com/showthread.php?t=587555
Just so you know.

The 3.5 ed Weapons Special Abilities thread: http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=642656

DnD Archive Handy DM Links thread (Lots of handy links. For DMs!): http://www.dndarchive.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=124

The Dungeonomicon (Frank/K article):
http://bb.bbboy.net/thegamingden-vie...m=1&thread=698

For more, one can go to One Winged Angel’s regularly updated Handy Thread Compendium (Note: has not been has not been regularly updated) http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63565

*You have just lost the Game.

lisiecki
2008-12-07, 02:18 PM
Also there's a pretty good booklet on the subject by a Wizards employe called "tales of a part time sorcer"
Theres also a "dummies" book on the subject

Zer Kaizer
2008-12-07, 02:30 PM
Thanks all of you for the info. I'll have to look up these books that you all mentioned.

lisiecki
2008-12-07, 02:32 PM
Thanks all of you for the info. I'll have to look up these books that you all mentioned.

Do you happen to know what rule book your going to be using?
The most popular versions of the rules come in a book that has either
A) A brown cover with a gold seal on it
or
B) A book with a dragonman warrior with a sword and a human with fire in her hand.
IF you could let us know what set your using, we could most likely give you more specific answers

Inyssius Tor
2008-12-07, 02:35 PM
Here you go:
*You have just lost the Game. Son of a bitch!
Other than that--wow, great guide you've got there.

Zer Kaizer
2008-12-07, 02:41 PM
Do you happen to know what rule book your going to be using?
The most popular versions of the rules come in a book that has either
A) A brown cover with a gold seal on it
or
B) A book with a dragonman warrior with a sword and a human with fire in her hand.
IF you could let us know what set your using, we could most likely give you more specific answers

I have no idea where to get the rule books outside of the internet. I'd like to try out the 3.5 rules because I heard that's the rules that NWN 2 was set on.

And I really don't know the difference between the two rule books that you mentioned, could you tell me?

Flickerdart
2008-12-07, 02:47 PM
I have no idea where to get the rule books outside of the internet. I'd like to try out the 3.5 rules because I heard that's the rules that NWN 2 was set on.

And I really don't know the difference between the two rule books that you mentioned, could you tell me?
The brown with gold is 3.5, and the white with dragonman and human is 4th. These are two different and incompatible editions.

Keld Denar
2008-12-07, 02:54 PM
It would also help us if you told us what country you live in. This is the interwebz, which, like Sigil, the City of Doors, attracts people from all over the place.

If you live in the US or Canadia (eh?), you could go to a large bookseller like Barns & Nobles, Boarders, B. Dalton, or Waldenbooks. These places typically carry a fair stock of D&D books, and can order more for you if you so desire. They also have the advantage that you can typically hang out in the store and read the whole book cover to cover without anyone really harrassing you, and many even have a coffee shop for your personal refreshment. You can also look for a local comic, gaming or hobby store. A quick google search of your city + comic, game, or hobby store will typically turn up a couple hits. If not, try a larger adjacent city if available.

If you aren't in the US, you might have to resort to purchasing books online. Amazon being the largest, but I'm sure you could shop around for price, especially if you get them used or slightly well loved.

The difference that lisiecki mentioned is the difference between the 2 currrent editions. The brown one with the golden lock on it is the Players Handbook for the 3.5 edition, the same one used by NWN2. The one with the dragonman and gal with fire is the 4e Players Handbook, which I don't believe there are any current video games out for yet. 4e itself plays a lot like a video game though, more so than 3.5. Refer to any of the elevendy billion 3.5 vs 4e threads for more details.

So, in closing, MOAR INFO PLZ!!!!

Zer Kaizer
2008-12-07, 03:09 PM
It would also help us if you told us what country you live in. This is the interwebz, which, like Sigil, the City of Doors, attracts people from all over the place.

If you live in the US or Canadia (eh?), you could go to a large bookseller like Barns & Nobles, Boarders, B. Dalton, or Waldenbooks. These places typically carry a fair stock of D&D books, and can order more for you if you so desire. They also have the advantage that you can typically hang out in the store and read the whole book cover to cover without anyone really harrassing you, and many even have a coffee shop for your personal refreshment. You can also look for a local comic, gaming or hobby store. A quick google search of your city + comic, game, or hobby store will typically turn up a couple hits. If not, try a larger adjacent city if available.

If you aren't in the US, you might have to resort to purchasing books online. Amazon being the largest, but I'm sure you could shop around for price, especially if you get them used or slightly well loved.

The difference that lisiecki mentioned is the difference between the 2 currrent editions. The brown one with the golden lock on it is the Players Handbook for the 3.5 edition, the same one used by NWN2. The one with the dragonman and gal with fire is the 4e Players Handbook, which I don't believe there are any current video games out for yet. 4e itself plays a lot like a video game though, more so than 3.5. Refer to any of the elevendy billion 3.5 vs 4e threads for more details.

So, in closing, MOAR INFO PLZ!!!!

I'm in the U.S. I'll try to hit up a bookstore. Didn't think I'd find the rulebooks there.

Keld Denar
2008-12-07, 03:15 PM
I'm in the U.S. I'll try to hit up a bookstore. Didn't think I'd find the rulebooks there.

Well, that helps. Also follow my advice about googling around for a local gaming store. They usually have buletin boards where you can post "looking for group" ads, or find other players LFG ads. Networking is a huge tool for gamers, and there are probably more of you in your neighborhood than you know, once you know where to look.

Who said D&D doesn't teach you RL skills? Networking is HUGELY valuable in real life. I actually got a job interview from a player I used ot play D&D with. :)

Zer Kaizer
2008-12-08, 04:46 AM
I also wanted to ask. Is there anyone here that is in Baton Rouge that plays?

Artanis
2008-12-08, 01:08 PM
I think LSU is in Baton Rouge. If so, it's a pretty big university, so there's bound to be a decent number of DnD players there if you can figure out how to get to them.

Addendum: you know you spend too much time on RPG boards when you have to go back and retype Baton Rouge because you initially spelled it R-O-G-U-E :smalltongue:

Starbuck_II
2008-12-08, 01:43 PM

You could use the SRD
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=d20/article/srd35

Hypertext SRD:
http://www.d20srd.org/

Or Crystal keep:
http://www.crystalkeep.com/d20/

AslanCross
2008-12-08, 04:06 PM
I started with Baldur's Gate II and NWN2 myself, so I think it's a pretty good introduction into pen-and-paper (or play-by-post) D&D.

I'm pretty sure the most complex part of D&D for beginners is character creation. NWN automates this to an extent for you, so this might be where you would struggle.

Keld Denar
2008-12-08, 04:53 PM
A quick google search for baton rouge game stores yeilds that there is a Barns and Nobles (http://storelocator.barnesandnoble.com/storedetail.do?store=2837) in Baton Rouge. This would be a decent place to go to brouse books at your leisure.

Address
CitiPlace
2590 CitiPlace Court
Baton Rouge, LA 70808
225-926-2600

Store Hours
Sun 10-10,
Mon-Sat 9-11

The search also yeilds a goldmine. Check out Little Wars (http://www.littlewars.com/). Its an actual gaming store, and sells rule books, minis, dice, and other such gaming paraphanalia. They also sell board games like Settlers of Cataan and Carcasone, which are both fun :smallcool:, but thats another matter. I can't imagine that they wouldn't know of any local gaming groups, as these groups are some of their main clients. Check if they have a LFG bulleten board where you could leave a flyer or find other gamers contact info. Looking at their calender, I see Open Gaming all day on Sunday, Monday, and Saturday. I'd guess that some gaming groups meet up there on those days to play, which would be a good place to find people and possibly join game.

The most important things to remember when joining gaming groups are to be courteous and be enthusiastic. Courtesy is a big one, because no one likes a player who joins up only to make a bunch of demands or acts childish. Find out what play styles they use, and try to emulate it. If they are serious roleplayers, try not to break character. If they are very casual gamers and like to crack jokes all the time, don't try to be a brooding anti-hero with social issues. If their style doesn't match yours, keep looking. Enthusiasm is another big one. Try to learn the rules. Make an effort. Between games, read a section of the PHB or so, or read the whole thing. Write down some questions you have and ask them here, or bring them to your game and ask them there. Don't argue rules at the table, but if you don't understand something, write it down and research it after the game. This will broaden your knowledge of the game and soon things will come more and more from memory. I've been playing this game for over a dozen years, and I still look things up after games, but now I almost always know where to look. Also be enthusiastic about your scheduled game days. If you are a chronic absentee, its difficult for a DM to run a game. I don't know what your home/work/life situation is, but if you are younger and rely on your parents for transport/living space, talk to them about it. Do your chores/schoolwork ahead of time so that you'll be more likely to be able to go. Adults respect the ability to govern oneself, and if you show them that you can manage your own time, they'll be more likely to let you participate. If you have your own place and family/kids, schedule the time out ahead of time. Everyone needs their break time away from loved ones. If you work, try to get a somewhat regular schedule so that you can always make the games.

If you are courteous and enthusiastic, that counts for a lot more than sheer rules knowledge. Most groups that aren't too large would love to have a new player join, and we were all level 1 noobs at some point. (gasp!)

Hope this helps!

EDIT:
The Little Wars store also has an online message board found here (http://littlewars.yuku.com/blittlewars). There is a LFG forum there, but there doesn't appear to be much activity. Regardless, posting there couldn't hurt. Remember to leave an email address or other form of contact info!

Stupendous_Man
2008-12-08, 04:55 PM
The most important things to remember when joining gaming groups are to be courteous and be enthusiastic.

Bring drinks, buy pizza.

Keld Denar
2008-12-08, 05:04 PM
Bring drinks, buy pizza.

Also never hurts :P

I have yet to meet a gamer who will turn down free food.

only1doug
2008-12-08, 06:03 PM
Also never hurts :P

I have yet to meet a gamer who will turn down free food.

I've met one.

He is a beer based lifeform and doesn't eat. ever.

Samurai Jill
2008-12-08, 06:14 PM

You can pick up a good 90% of what you need to know as a player from the Online SRD (http://www.d20srd.org).

Here is most of the remaining 10%.

Method 1 for character creation: Distribute 25 points between your 6 attributes, each of which starts at 8. Stats about 14 cost 2 points per stat point, above 16, 3 points per stat point. Otherwise, it's 1-to-1. No starting stat may exceed 18 except as a result of racial modifiers. Some DMs may allot more or fewer starting buy-points for this purpose.

Method 2 for character creation: Roll 4 6-sided dice and keep the best 3 results: this may be assigned to any stat of your choice. Repeat 7 times, discard the worst result, and assign remainder to your 6 stats as desired.

It typically costs your level x1000 XP to advance to the next level.

-There. Consult with your GM for the rest.

Tacoma
2008-12-08, 07:24 PM
The main differences between NWN and tabletop gameplay are that you're responsible for rolling the dice and adding up numbers and comparing those numbers to your Difficulty Class. I assume you know what these things are because you played NWN. If not, let us know.

You're also responsible for saying what your character wants to say to the other characters. In NWN you didn't really have to think, because the dialogue always gave a "friendly" option, a "make you angry" option, and a "leave conversation" option. If you had nigh stats and the NPC was important there might be one or more "give me more information" options.

Your DM has to create a game setting, the people to populate it, the locations, the adventures, and the plots.

The difference in playing is mainly that you aren't led along by the nose. You have to figure out what's going on yourself without just exploring everything. Because ... there is way too much to explore that has nothing to do with any kind of adventure. But you can approach an obstacle any way you want rather than the 1-4 ways the NWN programmer gave you.

Some of the rules are different. Some feats and spells work differently. Illusions are much more creative and fun. And suddenly since you're interpreting the rules yourself you have the chance to argue with other people about them. So just relax and have fun, and don't worry about exactly what the rules say to the exclusion of your fun.

Optimystik
2008-12-08, 07:39 PM
Son of a bitch!
Other than that--wow, great guide you've got there.

I see what you did there - too bad I already won (http://xkcd.com/391/) :smallbiggrin:

Zer Kaizer
2008-12-09, 01:47 AM
Excellent. I'm heading to little wars as soon as I have the chance. you all been a great help. I gotta put this thread on my bookmarks now.

Knaight
2008-12-09, 08:21 AM
Its also worth mentioning that there are other tabletop games like D&D, which you may or may not have known, and some of them are a lot better for beginners(and as far as I'm concerned in general, but lets not go there). Fudge has decent mechanics, Ars Magica very good setting description, put them together and you have a game like D&D but with simpler rules(which in my opinion again is a good thing, for everybody, but some people like lots of rules, some few.)