PDA

View Full Version : Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon

Comet
2008-12-07, 10:59 AM
Has anyone got this one for the DS? I got it a while back and am now on mission 7 or so.

Good, basic Fire Emblem fun. Refreshingly dark toned as opposed to the gameboy advance Fire Emblem(s?) and getting to play as Marth is a nice bonus too.
The difficulty feels just about right. I'm restarting the missions a lot of times, but it doesn't feel frustrating. And the savepoints are something that Fire Emblem really couldn't do without in the future!

Good characters, functional story, strategic gameplay. I'm enjoying it.

Oregano
2008-12-07, 11:19 AM
I might get it when I have some more money, it's a remake of the original I've heard.

Is it out in Britain though?:smallconfused: I may need to import it.

Mc. Lovin'
2008-12-07, 11:26 AM
Has anyone got this one for the DS? I got it a while back and am now on mission 7 or so.

Good, basic Fire Emblem fun. Refreshingly dark toned as opposed to the gameboy advance Fire Emblem(s?) and getting to play as Marth is a nice bonus too.
The difficulty feels just about right. I'm restarting the missions a lot of times, but it doesn't feel frustrating. And the savepoints are something that Fire Emblem really couldn't do without in the future!

Good characters, functional story, strategic gameplay. I'm enjoying it.

Is this more like the classic GBA versions, or the Gamecube version? Because I only liked the GBA versions.

Comet
2008-12-07, 11:49 AM
Haven't played the GC ones, but this definetly has the same feel as the gameboy advance Fire Emblem.
I loved the GBA game to bits, and this is basically more of the same.

Mando Knight
2008-12-07, 11:54 AM
Yah know what? I hate you. :smalltongue:

Shadow Dragon doesn't come out in America until who-knows-when, apparently the first half of '09. :smallannoyed:

Oregano
2008-12-07, 11:56 AM
Yah know what? I hate you. :smalltongue:

Shadow Dragon doesn't come out in America until who-knows-when, apparently the first half of '09. :smallannoyed:

Then is it only out in Japan then?:smallconfused:

Hermit
2008-12-07, 12:01 PM
Release dates:
JP August 7, 2008[1]
EU December 5, 2008[2]
NA TBA 2009[3]
-Wikipedia

Its one of those games Nintendo gives Europe early in the hope that we won't whine when 90% of their stuff is delayed by four months over here.

Eventually someone at the company is going to point out that their release schedule is a mess.

Oregano
2008-12-07, 12:03 PM
You mean finall a game we didn't get very last, this totally makes up for Fable 2. Nintendo should do this more often, to prove they really do love us.:smalltongue:

Eventually someone at the company is going to point out that their release schedule is a mess.

Why, because god forbid Europe gets a game earlier than America?:smallannoyed:

@V: It'd make sense, there's no reason Europe gets shafted all the time. Of course worldwide simultaneous releases are ideal.

Hermit
2008-12-07, 12:07 PM
You mean finall a game we didn't get very last, this totally makes up for Fable 2. Nintendo should do this more often, to prove they really do love us.:smalltongue:

Why, because god forbid Europe gets a game earlier than America?:smallannoyed:

I'm in Europe, I'd rather we got all their games at the same time as America :p

Inhuman Bot
2008-12-07, 02:48 PM
I liked the orignal fire emblem, so this remake should be good.

but why are they releasing it around a year later in NA then europe? It can't take that long to transport it, though localizing might..

Oregano
2008-12-07, 02:49 PM
I liked the orignal fire emblem, so this remake should be good.

but why are they releasing it around a year later in NA then europe? It can't take that long to transport it, though localizing might..

Maybe Nintendo likes Europe and hate America now, it used to be the other away around. It's just some arbitary choice someone made, somewhere.

Sequinox
2008-12-07, 09:19 PM
Maybe Nintendo likes Europe and hate America now, it used to be the other away around. It's just some arbitary choice someone made, somewhere.

I seriously hope that they hurry up and release it here in America. I wouldn't mind waiting a week after Europe gets it, or more, but at least in the same year. Or month. Or week. Or day. (You know, I said this back in the Fable 2 thread. I guess I tend to repeat myself.)

Icewalker
2008-12-07, 09:25 PM
The GBA Fire Emblem games are some of my favorite games ever, but I was hugely let down by the Gamecube ones. I'm definitely looking into this...

EDIT: Ok, I just looked at some screenshots. How is it that this has worse combat graphics than the GBA ones? I mean, these are a little more realistic looking, but instead of distinct figures they are just really blurry...

Ok, maybe they aren't worse, but I liked the GBA graphics a little more. I'll still probably try to get the game.

Geno9999
2008-12-07, 11:27 PM
The GBA Fire Emblem games are some of my favorite games ever, but I was hugely let down by the Gamecube ones. I'm definitely looking into this...

EDIT: Ok, I just looked at some screenshots. How is it that this has worse combat graphics than the GBA ones? I mean, these are a little more realistic looking, but instead of distinct figures they are just really blurry...

Ok, maybe they aren't worse, but I liked the GBA graphics a little more. I'll still probably try to get the game.

Call me a freak, but I like the one for the Wii better than the one for the GBA. if you hate it because of difficulty, you can turn around and go back to your easier games. If you hate it because lack of a Jeigan early on... then I don't blame you.
Gameplay wise, I find the hit-and-run tactics an interesting ability for mounted units. Laguz in FE10 don't really bother me. In fact, my opinion on the whole "OMG! PEOPLE THAT CAN TRANSFORM INTO ANIMALS???FE SUCKS NOW!!!" thing is that it's a propaganda made by Daein country and Beginon senators.
WARNING! IF YOU HATE PEOPLE TRANSFORMING INTO THINGS, STEP AWAY FROM THE MAMKUTES!

Nevitan
2008-12-07, 11:37 PM

NOOOOOOOO!

Mando Knight
2008-12-07, 11:53 PM
WARNING! IF YOU HATE PEOPLE TRANSFORMING INTO THINGS, STEP AWAY FROM THE MAMKUTES!

<.< >.>
...They're called Manaketes, now... :smalltongue:

Icewalker
2008-12-08, 12:05 AM
I didn't have any problem with the transforming, and liked some of the characters. They established the setting a little better too. The difficulty and new style of fighting (hit and run rather than tactical slaughter) I felt was less preferable, but I didn't think it hurt the game terribly.

The thing which I was disappointed about in the Gamecube games is how terribly terribly not awesome they were.

In the GBA games for example, a sage attacks by taking two steps back, marking out an elaborate runic symbol in the air, then forcefully thrusting his hand forwards as a sudden wind blows his cape back epically, followed by the spell animation.

Gamecube games? Sages...lift their hand into the air, followed by the spell animation. They just didn't take advantage of the better graphics at all, and changed combat animations from kickass to pretty boring.

It seems like a very minor flaw, and it isn't the kind of thing that seems like it would turn me off of a game, but I loved the GBA ones, and when I played these...they just weren't very fun. In the GBA games I'd look forwards to statting up certain characters so they would be epic badasses, whereas in Path of Radiance they just...aren't cool. In the least. Even critical animations.

kpenguin
2008-12-08, 12:23 AM
I don't know...

Granted, I've only played Radiant Dawn, but in that game the attack animations were pretty cool (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geZ11REU9VQ).

Icewalker
2008-12-08, 12:41 AM
Yeah, those look pretty epic, but they are only the epic magic tomes. That means that only the casters get stuff that impressive, and only on the last level. And the GBA versions had epic final spells as well, which were just on slightly worse graphics. The character actions before the spell animations are still skewed to hugely unimpressive.

I'm not sure how it ruined the game for me. It just wasn't very fun without awesome every fight.

Oregano
2008-12-08, 03:18 AM
Why don't yous import it like most European gamers import games from America or wherever else?