PDA

View Full Version : [Portrait] Dawn Van'Wynteer

PandaGaki
2005-12-28, 10:52 AM
1st post of me ass well, immediately in a contest ;D

Dawn Van'Wynteer
Snow Fury

Erzal was returning to the campsite, he was guiding a small band of adventurers through the snow covered forest on the mountain. A dangerous job, but worth a lot of money. He knew the tales, but waved it away as kids tales, but nevertheless he decided not too just carelessly throw it aside. He allways kept the fires low and told the adventurers to leave the creatures alone. There had to be some truth too it afterall, and he allways felt watched in here. This time was no different. Still 5 gold was a lot of money for a two day trip.

As he returned to the camp site he heared laughter and songs. It wasn't the first time a group of adventurers he guided did this, but he allways tried to stop them from doing it for alcohol and joy might run out of hand. As he closed in he couldn't believe his eyes.

One of the adventurers, a muscular man was skinning what once was a beautifull white tiger. It's last moment still in it's eyes burnt Ezral's eyes widened. Another stockier, taller man walked towards him, the man was wearing a robe of arcane red symbols. As he came to Ezral he laughlingly said "Ezral, we have vanquished this great danger of the forest you warned us for. Ungar has slain the great white beast. Those eyes you saw lurking us, gone. Thrink Ezral and join the fest." Ezral was still in shock, then he regained his composure. "Fools," he yelt, "Fools, we must hurry, flee from this place. You have slain one of it's creatures." He quickly covered the fire place with snow and started grabbing his things. "Ungar the barbarian took him by the shoulders then and threw him in the snow. "Stop it small one, if this danger you say, comes towards us, fear not for I shall slay it in front of you. Ungar does not fear these demons"

The last word did not leave his lips fully as an arrow portruted from his chest, his chest turned blue and blood did not flow out. The barbarian fell down, and a mist fell about the place. Ezral heared a roar first, some shouting thenfollowed by a crackling sound, Ezral didn't wait to find out what it was. He just fled the scene.

After 15 minutes of running he stomped, breathing heavily. He saw something from the forest then, a woman, one of the most beautifull he saw between the bushes, looking towards him. Her face and skin was white. He saw her, light blue armor, wielding a bow, arming a bow, aiming a bow, firing a bow. He felt a thud then and looked down, an arrow stook out of his chest and he suddenly felt sleepy, his eyes closed and he remembered no more.

He awoke the next day in his village, they said they found him at the edge of the forest, no trace of the others. They didn't believe him about the woman, said that the protector of the woods apparently spared his life. Ezral kept the arrow, remembering him how lucky he was. It was also the end of his guiding days.

Dawn Van'Wynteer is unknowingly part of a design by an order of dragons, she was created during a period of strife and war between dragons and fiends. A never used experiment of creating warriors from the minor races able to use some of the powers of dragons. As one of these experiments they have combined half elves with some of the different species of dragons. Dawn was part of the first ones created, in her case they have chosen the mix of a half elf with a white dragon. White dragons being one of the least powerfull of dragonkind which would translate easier to control. The experiment ended before they utilized Dawn, after which they left her in care of a small elven community. Dawn left this community a few 100 years ago and made her own in a terrain more suited to the dragonside of her existence. She guards the woods where she lives now feral. She does not kill for fun, but will end the lives of anyone who harms her forest or creatures showing no mercy. She can be encountered and asked for aid, if it is for the better of her woods she will give it asking nothing in return. She has a natural distaste for fire and any characters using or showing signs, patterns of fire start out on her bad side. Evocation mages start out hostile with her and better pay close attention on how they act around her. She can and will turn around and quickly kill anyone burning anything in her forest.

Dawn's looks are a flesh colour with a white hue over it. She looks quite like any normal half elf, a slightly more angular face than normal for her kind. Her face is white coloured, lips bluelike as her eyes are. Her hair is white with a light yellow shine. She wares light blue coloured leather armor with patches of fur everywhere. What reminds the most of her crossbreed stature are the clawlike hands she has. On her back is her greatsword that she uses only if the enemy can reach her. She prefers to fight with her bow.

{table]Dawn Va'Wynteer (CR 12, HD 5d8+3d8+2d12+20)
Half-Dragon, White Half-Elf Rgr5/Drd3/Bbn2
N Medium Dragon (Elf)
Init +3 Spd 40
Senses Low-light Vision (Ex), Darkvision (Ex): 60 ft. Listen +15, Spot +10

AC 22 (FF 22, Touch 17)
hp 82 (Disabled -2/Dying -15/Injury 15)
Saves: Fort +12, Ref +8, Will +7
Immunity: Sleep Effects (Ex); +2 Saves vs. Spells and Spell-like Effects; Immunity: Paralysis (Ex); Immunity: Cold (Ex);

Atk +14/+9 base melee, +12/+7 base ranged; Grapple +14;
+15/+10 Melee (+1 Mithral Greatsword 2d6+8/crit 19-20/x2, bane outsiders, fire (17/12 4d6+8/crit 19-20/x2)
+14/+9 Ranged (+1 Darkwood Longbow, composite, Icy Burst ( +4 Str Bonus) 1d8+5+1d6/crit 20/x3)
+14 Melee (2 Claw 1d4+5/crit 20/x2) and +9 Melee (Bite 1d6+2/crit 20/x2) and +9 Melee (Breath Weapon 6d8/crit 20/x2)
SA: Breath Weapon DC: 10 + 1/2 Racial HD + CON Mod (total = 18 ) , Breath Weapon Type: 30 ft. Cone of Cold
Ranger Features: Track, Wild Empathy (8+Cha.Mod), Endurance, Spells, Animal Companion, Ranger Combat Style: Archery, Favored Enemy: Outsider (Fire) (+2), Favored Enemy: Elemental (+2);
Druid Features: Secret Language: Druidic, Animal Companion, Wild Empathy (8+Cha.Mod), Spells, Nature Sense, Woodland Stride, Trackless Step;
Barbarian Features: Rage (1x/day), Fast Movement, Uncanny Dodge;
Race Features: Elven Blood

Abilities: STR 20, DEX 16, CON 15, INT 10, WIS 16, CHA 12
Feats: Armor Proficiency: light, Armor Proficiency: medium, Blind-Fight, Endurance, Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot, Rapid Shot, Shield Proficiency, Simple Weapon Proficiency, Track, Weapon Focus: Longbow.
Skills: Balance +2, Climb +7, Concentration +7, Craft (Trapmaking) +3, Diplomacy +3, Escape Artist +2, Gather Information +3, Handle Animal +5, Heal +5, Hide +5, Intimidate +4, Jump +8, Listen +15, Move Silently +2, Profession (Hunter) +6, Ride +5, Search +3, Spellcraft +6, Spot +10, Survival +18, Swim +4.

Ranger Spells Prepared (--/1): 1-Calm Animals.

Druid Spells Prepared (4/3/2): 0- Cure Minor Wounds, Detect Magic, Know Direction, Resistance ; 1-Camouflage, Entangle, Obscuring Mist ; 2-Cat`s Grace, Summon Nature`s Ally II.

Weapons:; Arrow, Sleep; Fey Arrow; Summoning Arrow.
Goods: Coin: gp (325).
[/table]

Tactics

Dawn prefers to fight at night, using her keen darkvision. She starts off her surprise round using an arrow of sleep to take out the biggest threat, the fighter since she prefers long range fighting. Being a druid she then uses her obscuring mist to make it hard to find her. She keeps moving around in the mist after every shot to make it hard to pinpoint her position.

Round 1, take out fighter with sleep arrow
Round 2, use obscuring mist to get concealmant.
Round 3, use her breath weapon.
Round 4, use a summoning arrow on the wizard.

When reduced to 1/3 of her hitpoints she prefers to flee from the scene till healed up.

For those that do not use the Arms & Equipment Guide, simply exchange the Fey & Summoning Arrow with sleep arrows

PandaGaki
2005-12-29, 06:15 AM
Insert the picture, made during work ;D

It's the best I can do in time for the contest, maybe i'll finish her up completely one day. But probably won't be before the 4th. Since it's made using office equipment I didn't have time to correct minor mistakes

I present to you, Dawn Van'Wynteer. Sketched in pencil, inked in your ordinary black pallpoint pen and scanned with a Xerox Copy machine. All at work. Yes, I have that much free time in between work. ;)

http://users.pandora.be/jderuysscher/contest.png

thubby
2005-12-30, 08:38 PM
that is the COOLEST character i have EVER seen!!! best art, right here!!!

Vaynor
2005-12-31, 02:40 AM
that is the COOLEST character i have EVER seen!!! best art, right here!!!

I have to agree, nice art!

Everyman
2006-01-02, 12:57 AM
You know, I thought I had a monopoly on the "Realistic/Comic-style art" section, but now you have to come along and give me competition. Bah! You and your well-drawn art! ;)

Seriously, nice art and a very interesting character. I have to ask...what's a summoning arrow? You list it in your tactics, but I can't seem to find a reference for it.

PandaGaki
2006-01-02, 07:59 AM
Summoning Arrow is an Arms & Equipment Guide book addition, so sadly not OPGL as I now recall. A small detail I forgot when creating the character. I got so used to them, my (gaming) ranger uses them to disrupt spellcasters, wel at least try and disrupt them ;)

Basically something you could create combining arrows and summon spells.

Skyserpent
2006-01-02, 11:41 PM
Wow... I... You... wow... that is a very impressive piece of artwork... dag...

though Mim the clanless is also quite impressive...

overall though ...http://boards1.wizards.com/images/smilies/dropjaw.gif