PDA

View Full Version : Non D&D Fans

Sgeo
2008-12-07, 03:58 PM
How many Order of the Stick fans don't play D&D? I don't (although I do play NetHack sometimes, and am thoroughly spoiled, and since NetHack has D&D as one source of inspiration, it's not like I'm completely unaware of D&D mechanics and stuff.) Anyone who was completely unaware of D&D mechanics before OotS?

Assassin89
2008-12-07, 04:02 PM
I was when first reading it, but I did read some databases and I have played three sessions in college.
once in 1st edition: Played as wizard got screwed attacked and cursed by ghosts
two times in 3.5 play a chaotic good human cleric. Ongoing campaign involves paying off a debt of one million gp to an eccentric wizard.

Kaytara
2008-12-07, 04:37 PM
I haven't played a DnD session in my life. I'm roughly familiar with the rules and therefore still get the jokes due to some DnD-based RPGs I like to play (the Neverwinter Nights series, Baldur's Gate, etc.), but that's it.

Trazoi
2008-12-07, 04:39 PM
I've never played D&D for real. I am a big fan of a few computer games based on D&D though (Baldur's Gate, Neverwinter Nights, etc.), so I knew the basics of the rules.

SteveMB
2008-12-07, 04:40 PM
It's been long enough that what I know probably isn't that much more than the average fan picks up by cultural osmosis.

Optimystik
2008-12-07, 04:42 PM
Same as Kaytara and Traz. CRPGs bring the world to life for me in a way that tabletop just isn't able to, and the added challenge of translating paper concepts (like jumping, diplomacy and tracking) to a digital format continues to enthrall me. :smallsmile:

TheSummoner
2008-12-07, 04:44 PM
Never played a game of D&D in my life, though if I knew a place around where I live, I would definatly give it a try.

I'm a huge fan of fantasy in general though and thats what brought me here in the first place.

factotum
2008-12-07, 04:55 PM
Last time I played D&D properly was...let's see...1990? Don't think the group I was playing with had even moved on to 2nd edition by then, and the mechanics were VASTLY different to 3rd edition, which OotS is based on. (I'll admit to buying a couple of D&D-based RPGs for my PC after discovering OotS just to see what the background was, but I've not played 3rd edition D&D apart from that).

Limos
2008-12-07, 04:56 PM
I've played a few campaigns, but was never able to get a group that really stayed together for more than a few sessions before the whole thing started to break down.

Sadly the last group I was in consisted of..

An DM who never had anything prepared.
A Rules Lawyer/MinMaxer (NE Eladrin Rogue)
An Idiot (CN Dragonborn Fighter)
A Girl who had never played before so decided to be the Cleric (NG Elven Cleric)
Me (NE Tiefling Warlock)

((I assigned Alignments based on how they played, not what they chose.))

At least I managed to get a working four-man-band out of it. I think we managed to get three encounters before it broke down. Kobolds, more Kobolds, and I think an Ogre or something.

theinsulabot
2008-12-07, 05:04 PM
never played once, but i know way to much about the game from you fine folks at the forums here

Optimystik
2008-12-07, 05:20 PM
Last time I played D&D properly was...let's see...1990? Don't think the group I was playing with had even moved on to 2nd edition by then, and the mechanics were VASTLY different to 3rd edition, which OotS is based on. (I'll admit to buying a couple of D&D-based RPGs for my PC after discovering OotS just to see what the background was, but I've not played 3rd edition D&D apart from that).

/nitpick

OotS is based on 3.5, as stated in the very first strip :smallsmile:

T-O-E
2008-12-07, 05:26 PM
Never played a session and probably never will. Would love to, though.

My knowledge comes from web-comics, this forum, d20.srd and the BG series.

Mauve Shirt
2008-12-07, 05:30 PM
I've never played, and I think if I ever started I'd never hear the end of it from my sister. I avoided playing all throughout high school because it's what she was doing. :smalltongue: All of my knowledge comes from these boards, the comic and little pieces from my sister.

DBear
2008-12-07, 05:30 PM
I haven't played D&D since 2E; tried Neverwinter Nights but didn't care for the game.

Shadic
2008-12-07, 05:36 PM
I haven't played D&D until about a month and a half ago, I'm still nerdy enough to understand all of the terms however, and because increasingly familiar with them the more that I read the strip.

Also, being obsessed with the strip makes it a lot easier to jump into D&D, because you're familiar with all of the terms.

Playing 3.5, for what it's worth. Only done about seven sessions, two of which I was DMing in a mini-campaign that I designed.

[TS] Shadow
2008-12-07, 07:16 PM
I don't play D&D. I know the rules, but it's too complicated for it's own good.

Prothero
2008-12-07, 07:28 PM
I do not play it and have no interest in trying.

One doesn't need to be a big fantasy game/fiction type person to enjoy OotS, though I'm sure y'all already knew that.

Jayngfet
2008-12-07, 07:29 PM
I didn't start til long after I found out about the comic.

Sgeo
2008-12-07, 07:51 PM
Shadow;5433898']I don't play D&D. I know the rules, but it's too complicated for it's own good.

I'm a fan of Paranoia, although I haven't played much of it, and haven't touched it for a while. Did GM a game though..

Querzis
2008-12-07, 08:12 PM
I started playing D&D after reading the comic for the first time (about two or three years ago) and I actually started playing D&D because of OOTS. That being said, right now, I play 3 different campaign at the same time so I probably got way too much into it.

Lissou
2008-12-07, 08:17 PM
I had heard of DnD when I started reading OOTS, but didn't really know what it was about or how it worked or anything. I thought it was some kind of board game.

I started playing DnD after strip 450 or something. Already knew lots from the strips. I don't think there is any joke I didn't get and realised I was missing.

Like some others, I'm very much into it now. And even more, I'm into taletop RPGs in general, not only DnD, not even only D20 ones.

ZtM
2008-12-07, 08:19 PM
I don't play D&D, although I play/have played several roguelikes (such as NetHack and Crawl) which tend to be derived from D&D. I also got a copy of the Hackmaster Player's Guide (Which is a revised form of the first and second editions of AD&D) a few years ago at Origins, so I've read parts of that. I kind of wish that Hackmaster was still in print so that I could get the DM guide and monster encyclopedia, as I now know people who would be willing to play with me and having a complete set of roleplaying rules in 3 volumes would be pretty great.

Cleverdan22
2008-12-07, 09:51 PM
I don't play DnD, and Order of the Stick is my favorite webcomic. I really would like to learn and play DnD, but I don't know anybody really up for it.

Linkavitch
2008-12-07, 10:06 PM
Never played Dnd. Never thought about it before, and my circle of friends probably wouldn't want to play.

Rinzy
2008-12-07, 10:16 PM
I found this strip and began to read it before I knew anything about D&D. My interest in the strip is what prompted me to join a gaming group that a friend of mine is a part of. I have OOTS to thank for introducing me to one of my favorite hobbies :smallbiggrin:

Tafkan
2008-12-08, 01:28 AM
Well, I didn't even know what D&D was before OOTS. But since I didn't get some jokes, I decided to read up on it a bit and soon made a group with my friends. Had a chaotic evil halfling rogue (NOT a ranger :smallyuk:) as my first character too.

TFT
2008-12-08, 01:36 AM
Never played and probably never will(Since I said that I will probably be playing it sometime... but since I just mentioned that... etc. etc.)

But really, I never have played, but probably the main reason is because there is no one I know that would and as playing it. Seems like its a fun game, and anything that helped make OotS what it is gets my approval(Even if it doesn't help jokewise sometimes).

Wikimaster
2008-12-08, 06:53 AM
I've never played D&D. Sigh...

someonenonotyou
2008-12-08, 09:16 AM
What little i know of D&D it just what i learned form OOTS

SoD
2008-12-08, 09:24 AM
When I started reading OOTS, I'd never played DnD. A bunch of my friends did, but I always thought 'pff, DnD, nerds game'. After enjoying OOTS so much, I joined my friends at DnD nights, and am now well on my way to being a fully-fledged nerd myself. :biggrin:

Dziadek
2008-12-08, 10:25 AM
When i started reading OOTS I already have been playing D&D for a while. Now, after playing in two campaigns, I took the role of the DM.

Fitzclowningham
2008-12-08, 10:50 AM
I played the boxed edition D&D and Expert D&D for a year or so, then graduated to AD&D, which lasted for another few years. It was hard getting groups together to play, but I loved the material and bought everything I could afford. I still have shelves full of RPGs that I never played. I sort of fell away from it for years with the exception of BG/NWN/etc. I started learning 3.5 so I could figure out what was going on in OoTS. :smallbiggrin:

p.s. - imo 4.0 is absolute rubbish.

FrankNorman
2008-12-08, 12:05 PM
Don't play, never played, no plans to ever do so. Not the sort of thing I'm interested in.
But I know enough about it to find most of the game-related jokes in the comic pretty funny.

Lowkey
2008-12-08, 12:11 PM
never touched it

Who_Da_Halfling
2008-12-08, 01:58 PM
well i certainly don't qualify anymore, but when I started reading I hadn't played more than a session or two. I knew the rules well enough to enjoy the jokes, and it did prompt me to start trying to play. I recently learned that several of my friends had a regular session which I joined and i'm now DMing.

-JM

Morty
2008-12-08, 02:04 PM
Well, I don't know if I qualify, since when I started reading, I knew D&D from computer games and one session I once played. It was OoTS that drawn me back to D&D, and now I know D&D rather well.

Deepkicker
2008-12-08, 10:57 PM
Nope, never played it in my life and I don't really intend to. Knowledge from videogames gave me enough to get the gist of the D&D jokes when I first started reading OoTS, but now after a couple of years of I feel pretty surefooted, even if I don't actually have any experience playing the game.

RebelRogue
2008-12-08, 11:09 PM
I'm a longtime D&D player, but I think it is quite beautiful that OotS has gotten so many people to actually start playing the game. Rich should be proud!

OOTS_Echoes
2008-12-08, 11:34 PM
I don't play DnD, but read the d20 website a lot. Plus with the forums I learned quite a bit.

I'd play but... the only place that has campaigns within like a 45 minute drive have them on Fridays...

Lamezors

Lunaya
2008-12-08, 11:45 PM
I may as well be honest. My RPG experience is limited to World of Warcraft.

*ducks*

Fortunately, my lack of DnD experience doesn't keep me from getting most of the jokes.

dps
2008-12-09, 12:07 AM
Haven't actually played in more than 25 years, and even then it was only a few sessions. I think we were still using first edition rules.

Zeful
2008-12-09, 02:36 AM
I may as well be honest. My RPG experience is limited to World of Warcraft.

*ducks*

Fortunately, my lack of DnD experience doesn't keep me from getting most of the jokes.

WoW is based off D&D, so you are playing like the great-grandson of a one-night stand game.

factotum
2008-12-09, 03:28 AM
WoW is based off D&D, so you are playing like the great-grandson of a one-night stand game.

Er, what? The mechanics in WoW (or its predecessors, the Warcraft series) bear no relation to D&D that I can see. In fact, if there's anything that was inspiration for the Warcraft strategy games, it's Warhammer, not D&D. I suppose if you go back far enough in history you'd find Warhammer and D&D both have a common ancestor (given that the guys who invented D&D were wargaming nuts), but that's stretching things to breaking point, IMHO.

Wikimaster
2008-12-09, 06:41 AM
Wikipedia says that D&D had green skinned orcs in the seventies, just before Warhammer Fantasy exsisted. Also, the 'Shamanism' Warcraft Orcs use is actually similar to that used in both the Real World and in D&D. For another point of comparison, get a picture of a Night Elf and a picture of a Drow, and compare them*.

*Footnote: If the Night Elf picture is Tyrande Whisperwind and the Drow picture is Drizzt Do' Urden, you'll find that Tyrande has the better cat, the better clothes, and the better hairdo. Just saying!

Querzis
2008-12-09, 07:21 AM
Wikipedia says that D&D had green skinned orcs in the seventies, just before Warhammer Fantasy exsisted. Also, the 'Shamanism' Warcraft Orcs use is actually similar to that used in both the Real World and in D&D. For another point of comparison, get a picture of a Night Elf and a picture of a Drow, and compare them*.

*Footnote: If the Night Elf picture is Tyrande Whisperwind and the Drow picture is Drizzt Do' Urden, you'll find that Tyrande has the better cat, the better clothes, and the better hairdo. Just saying!

Hum, Night elf are purple, drow are black. Night elf have green, purple or silver hairs, drow got white hairs. Drow are more muscular then night elf but night elf are taller. And of course we could start talking about their personnality and society which got nothing to do with each other. And here I'm not denying that the Warcraft universe got some stuff from D&D but drow and night elf? Thats really a stretch man. Wood elves are much more likely to have been an influence for night elves then drow. Same thing for the orcs, yes D&D used orcs before Warcraft...and lotr used it before D&D so I dont see your point.

No if you wanna see D&D influence in the warcraft universe, look at the items name, especially the items in Warcraft 3. Anyone who play D&D will recognize those. There is also many abilities and games mechanic which were obviously took from D&D. But as far as fantasy creatures like elves or orcs are concerned, the warcraft universe managed to be very different from D&D. Try to find elves who got a backstory and a society like the Blood elves or the night elves.

Optimystik
2008-12-09, 07:22 AM

Not to mention epic-level gear and magical ability. I don't think you'll find the ability to nuke an army with falling stars before 9th level.

She's also NOT emo, which means she wins.

Nimrod's Son
2008-12-09, 07:47 AM
Don't play, never played, no plans to ever do so. Not the sort of thing I'm interested in.
But I know enough about it to find most of the game-related jokes in the comic pretty funny.
Ditto. I forget how I stumbled onto this site in the first place, but I liked the artwork and was into LotR so I read a few strips and it just kept getting better and better. By the point that Belkar kissed Vaarsuvius, it had become one of my very favourite things on the internet.

WarriorTribble
2008-12-09, 09:00 AM
I have a rough idea of the rules thanks to video game RPGs, and http://www.dandwiki.com/, but I've never played a game, and I'm not sure I want to. I've a hard time immersing myself into things.

FreakOfNature
2008-12-09, 10:28 AM
I played BG, and came acoss this site in a BG forum, and I would probably like to try d&d, but I can't even find any d&d where I live:smallfrown:

Bedinsis
2008-12-09, 11:02 AM
Never played DnD, or any other tabletop roleplaying game. Still loving Order of the Stick.

..well, apart from one a friend and I made, but that one didn't count.

Wikimaster
2008-12-10, 06:30 AM
Hum, Night elf are purple, drow are black. Night elf have green, purple or silver hairs, drow got white hairs. Drow are more muscular then night elf but night elf are taller. And of course we could start talking about their personnality and society which got nothing to do with each other. And here I'm not denying that the Warcraft universe got some stuff from D&D but drow and night elf? Thats really a stretch man. Wood elves are much more likely to have been an influence for night elves then drow. Same thing for the orcs, yes D&D used orcs before Warcraft...and lotr used it before D&D so I dont see your point.

No if you wanna see D&D influence in the warcraft universe, look at the items name, especially the items in Warcraft 3. Anyone who play D&D will recognize those. There is also many abilities and games mechanic which were obviously took from D&D. But as far as fantasy creatures like elves or orcs are concerned, the warcraft universe managed to be very different from D&D. Try to find elves who got a backstory and a society like the Blood elves or the night elves.

You're right. I acted too quickly. The Night Elves, Blood Elves, and High Elves <i>did</i> have unique histories. I was just trying to keep this thread from being turned into a Warcaft versus Warhammer Fantasy discussion. Sorry!