PDA

View Full Version : Is Dinotopia geared towards kids?

purple gelatinous cube o' Doom
2008-12-07, 04:10 PM
The night, I saw some of the Dinotopia miniseries on the Sci Fi channel. It kind of intrigued me, so I went to find some more about it, and learned it was based on a novel series. I went and looked into the novel series as the plot/idea intrigued me somewhat. But, it seems like the books are geared more towards kids than adults, and I'd just like to ask the Playground and see who's read it, and confirm whether or not my suspicions about the series are correct.

Dr. Bath
2008-12-07, 04:15 PM
Well... the first books are illustrated (beautifully, I might add) but they aren't precisely aimed at Children (one is, called First Flight), a child can understand and appreciate most of the books, but the concept is still cool for older readers, and the paintings are still fantastic.

I'd say that whilst the series is in general aimed at a younger audience, that's not to say someone older can't enjoy it. (like Pixar films. Don't look at me like that... >.>)

Also, the novel (no paintings) that I have read was fairly poor. Not terrible, but not really good either.

Gavin Sage
2008-12-07, 04:20 PM
I think its fair to say that the original stuff is moderately kid oriented. That said the level of detailed thought and the art quality of the original in particular isn't something kids will apreciate. Really its one of those rare completely all ages things.

That said there's a lot of side material from the main coffe table size books that I can't comment on.

Lemur
2008-12-07, 04:28 PM
From what I remember, the spinoff novels are more or less written for kids/young adults. But the original illustrated books by James Gurney are what I'd call all-ages fiction- if a person can't appreciate them, it's probably because they either hate dinosaurs or hate fantasy stories rather than the books being somehow juvenile. Don't know anything about the miniseries, though.

TRM
2008-12-07, 04:29 PM
I'm pretty sure (it's been years since I've read Dinotopia, so the internet helped me some) that there are two different Dinotopia series. One, consisting of 4 illustrated books written and illustrated by James Gurney, that is quite good; there is also a line of young adult novels written by people other than James Gurney, which are firmly aimed at younger readers (I don't remember liking these at all).

And, according to wikipedia, there are two adult-aimed novels as well.

Storm Bringer
2008-12-07, 04:35 PM
I remember reading one of the books, years ag., I was.....oh, mid-secondry school when i read it, but I'd recommend it, just for the staggeringly good pictures.

You could dismiss the plot as 'childish', but only in the same way you would dismiss that biting social satire, Gullivers Travels (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gullivers_Travels), as a childrens tale just because it was fantastical.

The_Snark
2008-12-07, 04:35 PM
The original Dinotopia books are large, painstakingly illustrated books by James Gurney (both writer and painter)—I believe there are three of those. They're worth looking into; they certainly won't take you long to read, because the pictures take up the majority of the book's length, but they are beautifully detailed pictures (sampling here (http://www.dinotopia.com/land-art.html)), and what there is in the way of story is interesting. They can certainly be read by kids, but they're equally applicable to adults.

Dinotopia books by other authors are spin-offs, generally aimed at younger audiences.

warty goblin
2008-12-07, 04:46 PM
The original Dinotopia books are large, painstakingly illustrated books by James Gurney (both writer and painter)—I believe there are three of those. They're worth looking into; they certainly won't take you long to read, because the pictures take up the majority of the book's length, but they are beautifully detailed pictures (sampling here (http://www.dinotopia.com/land-art.html)), and what there is in the way of story is interesting. They can certainly be read by kids, but they're equally applicable to adults.

Dinotopia books by other authors are spin-offs, generally aimed at younger audiences.

Indeed, the three large books are marvelous, I think even my dad enjoyed them, and very few people dislike fantasy as categorically as he does. I never liked the spinoffs very much though.

Rogue 7
2008-12-07, 04:47 PM
I feel no need to echo what everyone else said about the books (the originals are amazingly well-illustrated, though I much prefer the first to the second one and haven't read any of the further ones.) The novels were great when I was a kid and still obsessed with dinosaurs. The miniseries, however, is supposed to be horrible, and from what I remember (assuming I'm thinking of the same one), it was.

Gavin Sage
2008-12-07, 05:42 PM
As far as I know anything aside from the illustrated main books by Gurney are all pretty awful.

(Course the main books also can be more optimistic then old school Star Trek, but that's a different issue entirely....)

Serpentine
2008-12-08, 09:07 AM
The night, I saw some of the Dinotopia miniseries on the Sci Fi channel. It kind of intrigued me, so I went to find some more about it, and learned it was based on a novel series. I went and looked into the novel series as the plot/idea intrigued me somewhat. But, it seems like the books are geared more towards kids than adults, and I'd just like to ask the Playground and see who's read it, and confirm whether or not my suspicions about the series are correct.I have a couple of the big books and one or two of the novels, I think. Actually, I'm gonna go check... Yep, found 'em. Dinotopia and The World Beneath by James Gurney and Windchaser by Scott Ciencin. I haven't read any of them for a long time, but they really are beautiful. Flicking through one I just found a page where three people came upon a strange stone formation. The scientist saw an interesting stone formation, the cynical, pessimistic old crank sees a terrifying skull, and the bright, hopeful woman sees a woman with her children. The drawing show what each person saw.
I'd say... They're probably written at a level suitable for children, but that doesn't reflect poorly on them in the least. It's like saying Animalia isn't beautiful art because it's a children's ABC...

Irenaeus
2008-12-08, 09:21 AM
I remember reading one of the books, years ag., I was.....oh, mid-secondry school when i read it, but I'd recommend it, just for the staggeringly good pictures.

You could dismiss the plot as 'childish', but only in the same way you would dismiss that biting social satire, Gullivers Travels (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gullivers_Travels), as a childrens tale just because it was fantastical.The hughe difference is that Dinotopia does not contain anything close to that level of satire. They are clearly children's books, not just because they are fantastical, but because they do not deal with any adult themes in any way but the most naivistic and utopic way possible.*

*Small disclaimer: I haven't read them in 18 years or so, but I browsed through them when I cleared the attic a few years ago, so I feel fairly confident in my statements.