PDA

View Full Version : Your favorite Outsiders!

goken04
2008-12-07, 04:16 PM
What are your favorite outsiders from 3.5! I'm trying to brainstorm for an upcoming campaign and want to know which outsiders you love. Please include the source book and why you love them!

Siegel
2008-12-07, 04:17 PM
Roleplayers, the Players Handbook

Keld Denar
2008-12-07, 04:18 PM
Lantern Archons!

OMG, LITTLE GLOWING BALL WITH LAZERS PEW PEW!

Sorry, couldn't resist...

brant167
2008-12-07, 04:39 PM
Slaadi, they are so much fun to dm and can be added in anywhere, at anytime, doing anything....and this scenario would still make as much sense as any other. It could be as simple as trying to force puppies and kittens to mate in order to create a "master race" to as complex as researching a spell to turn every 18th building in Sigil orange except for Mobbies Baked goods which will be transformed into a extra planar moon house where unanimated corpses will fight to the life; all proceeds go to charity of course.

AslanCross
2008-12-07, 04:47 PM
Devils
I prefer devils in general over demons. I like their purposeful attacks and scheming. Specifically:

-Chain Devil (Core): The chain is IMO the best symbol of tyrannical oppression. Chain devils are covered with them and use them as weapons. They make good "elite" grunts.

-Bearded Devil (Core): Berserker fiend with killer facial hair. Awesome.

-Malebranche (MM2, updated in Fiendish Codex 2): Enormous black-skinned bruiser with wickedly-curved horns. What's not to love?

-Horned Devil (Core): They just look darn cool. They wield chains too.

Demons
I do however like a few types of demons.

-Babau (Core): The demons have something that the devils don't have in core: An assassin type. The devils do have the assassin devil in Fiendish Codex 2, though.

-Vrock (Core): Three words: Dance of Ruin.

Archons:
-Hound Archon (Core): The idea of a 6-foot tall, greatsword-wielding anthro German Shepherd or Bullmastiff is somehow appealing to me.

-Warden Archon (Book of Exalted Deeds): Celestial polar bear in FULL PLATE.

Yugoloths
Often passed up in favor of their less subtle fiendkin, I realized that the idea of mercenary outsiders is pretty sound.

-Nycaloth (MM3) Four arms + greataxe + wings.

-Ultroloth (MM3) The art for this guy reminds me of the Dark Templar from Starcraft for some reason. Also, the Eberron Explorer's Handbook has "The Captain," an enigmatic neutral Ultroloth who pilots a ghost ship that you can ride to any destination of your choice as long as you fight a single battle for the Captain. Pretty cool stuff.

herrhauptmann
2008-12-07, 05:20 PM
Lantern Archons!

OMG, LITTLE GLOWING BALL WITH LAZERS PEW PEW!

Sorry, couldn't resist...

There's another, think it's on the Astral plane. Little red ball of light that lasers you with positive energy 5d6. And a blue one that lasers you with negative energy 5d6. If these two creatures should meet, they immediately rush one another and collide, dealing 10d6 damage to all within a certain range. This also destroys the red and blue light balls.
Someone at Wizards must've been working on high school chem when they came up with that one.

trehek
2008-12-07, 06:30 PM
There's another, think it's on the Astral plane. Little red ball of light that lasers you with positive energy 5d6. And a blue one that lasers you with negative energy 5d6. If these two creatures should meet, they immediately rush one another and collide, dealing 10d6 damage to all within a certain range. This also destroys the red and blue light balls.
Someone at Wizards must've been working on high school chem when they came up with that one.

Those are positive energy plane beings, called the Xag-ya and Xeg-yi.

Also, don't forget the Ghaele Eladrin, which can turn into a ball of light. Heh.

Optimystik
2008-12-07, 06:39 PM
Epic monk! :smallamused: I kid, I kid.

My favorites would have to be Rakshasa for coolness factor, but Genies are a close second. I don't like many outsiders though, I prefer undead.

Curmudgeon
2008-12-07, 06:45 PM
Aasimars (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/planetouched.htm) improve the viability of the Favored Soul class.

Xefas
2008-12-07, 06:48 PM
Dispater and Harvester Devils. Dispater personifies the "Turtle" RTS strategy. "If they can't defeat me, then it's only a matter of time until I win." Also, his Book of Vile Darkness picture approaches infinity on the badass axis.

Harvester Devils are just...They're some adventurers' worst nightmare. They're a problem that can't be stabbed to death and doesn't mean you any direct harm. They're the Evil that's there to help your Paladin in any way they can and there's nothing you can do about it.

Deth Muncher
2008-12-07, 06:51 PM
Epic monk! :smallamused: I kid, I kid.

Bawww, I was going to say that. Now I don't get to be funny...

RS14
2008-12-07, 07:34 PM
Ravids. They're unlike everything else, but in a good way.

Unfortunately, I don't think the Designers considered the implications of its Animate Objects ability. If used as written, it can gather up to 20 CR7 gargantuan animated objects. At the least, it can have 20 CR 1/2 tiny animated objects. No matter what it animates, they'll exceed the CR of the Ravid itself, and it creates a new one each round.

goken04
2008-12-07, 07:37 PM
Harvester Devils are just...They're some adventurers' worst nightmare. They're a problem that can't be stabbed to death and doesn't mean you any direct harm. They're the Evil that's there to help your Paladin in any way they can and there's nothing you can do about it.

Oooo! Where does that come from?

Jack_Simth
2008-12-07, 08:40 PM
Oooo! Where does that come from?
Fiendish Codex II.

It can be stabbed to death, though - it just takes a DC 22 Will save, first. Likewise, it's only really protected by a Sanctuary effect, which doesn't apply against area effect spells. Stinking Cloud, Solid Fog, Glitterdust, Fireball... they're definitely a problem that can be solved by brute force. As they're a base CR 7, those effects are quite appropriate to have in the party, too.

Edit:
Of course, the real trick to proper use of outsiders is to not have a favorite. You use several different outsiders for different roles, and play them all to their strengths.

Flickerdart
2008-12-07, 08:45 PM
I can't believe nobody made a The Outsiders joke yet. Soda Pop and the rest of them. No? Damn.

Pronounceable
2008-12-07, 08:46 PM
I love mariliths. Six arms FTW. Just think of the possibilities with that many arms...

Succubi are a bit dated, but their basis is solid. A little inversion and we get incubi. Who are awesome.

On the lawful side, I like cournugons. Nothing particular about THEM, but their name is great.

Among the bestest of the bunch is the great Primus (aka entire modron race).

And last but not least (who may or may not be an outsider), is her Ladyship. Don't mess with her. She will cut you. Off.

Kaiser Omnik
2008-12-07, 09:01 PM
Slaadi. All of them. No explanation needed. :smallbiggrin:

wadledo
2008-12-07, 09:22 PM
Slaadi, especialy the mini-Slaadi from Manual of the Planes.

Also, Epic Incarnates.:smallbiggrin:

Other cool ones?
Those mirror guys from MM(3?:smallconfused:),

And that really creepy guy from the WotC site, with the 6-legged hairless dogs and the undetectability.
No clue where the link is, but awesome none-the-less.

Edit:
Void Walker (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mm/20031219a).

afroakuma
2008-12-07, 09:23 PM
Slaadi. All of them. No explanation needed. :smallbiggrin:

All of them? (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92837)

Baron Malkar
2008-12-07, 09:45 PM
Musteval Guardinals from exalted cheese with levels as force missle mage from dragon compendium and a ring of invisibility. They make epic casters cry.

woodenbandman
2008-12-07, 11:06 PM
Slaadi and neraphs, Hound archons, Leonal Guardinals, Aasimars, and epic Incarnates.

goram.browncoat
2008-12-08, 09:25 AM
Sword archons (BoED): flaming sword hands are neat.

Pleasure devils (FCII): their beguile ability is a hoot. take control of a player character on your own turn. you get to do cool unexpected things without robbing your players of a turn in which they can do stuff.

Barghest (Core): Their alternate shape and feed ability can make for an interesting encounter.

Asmodeus(BovD, FCII): Not so much as an opponent directly but as an orchestrator behind the scenes he can be fun to use. If you read his fluff in FCII he just seems like a wicked cool guy :)

Marilith(Core): Dunno why, just always liked them. I think they might make a fun tactical encounter if theyre in their own controlled environment (say a marilith in its own dungeon/lair/home with lots of narrow spaces for blade barrier use while teleporting around). I havent had the chance to try this yet though, as the players in my campaign arent of this level yet. They seem weak in a standup fight but maybe im judging that wrong.

Eldan
2008-12-08, 10:10 AM
If specific individuals count:
A'kin, Shemeshka, Mephisto, Orcus. The Slaadi guide from Guide to the Inner Planes whose name I forgot. (Shame on me!).
If not, I always liked the idea of the Eladrin. The whole "can visit the mortal planes, but only veiled, and if they show themselves, get banished for so and so many years" can make some nice tragedies.

Oh, and the Osyluth. The Secret Police of Baator.

Greymane
2008-12-08, 10:21 AM
Succubi/Incubi: They can turn into anything with their abilities. Their amazing charisma of 26 allows them to act the way you want, and the impressive Intelligence of 16 makes certain they do it cunningly. You can do lots of things with this demon alone. Give it a way to avoid True Seeing/Detect Evil, and you've got a nightmare for your players.

Stupendous_Man
2008-12-08, 12:09 PM
Succubi/Incubi: They can turn into anything with their abilities. Their amazing charisma of 26 allows them to act the way you want, and the impressive Intelligence of 16 makes certain they do it cunningly. You can do lots of things with this demon alone.

In bed. :smalltongue:

Pronounceable
2008-12-08, 02:07 PM
In bed. :smalltongue:

Bed? Doubtful. Elevator, kitchen, jacuzi, shopping mall, car, busstop...? Much more likely with a personification of perverse lusts.

Tacoma
2008-12-08, 02:12 PM
My favorite was from 1E but apparently it makes an appearance in MM2.

The Fire Bat.

You kill it and it just goes back to the Elemental Plane of Fire. Where it continues to breed until it finds some squirrely way out and dies, and gets sent back.

So it never dies.

In the monster description it pretty much admits that this is sort of an environmental issue in the Elemental Plane of Fire. I love it :P

potatocubed
2008-12-08, 06:28 PM
Rilmani!

As espousers of true neutrality, they're pretty much guaranteed to interact with an adventuring party (for, against, or both) and they're weird enough that most people won't have clue one what they're dealing with.

I also had a soft spot for 2e eladrin, but that was more to do with the artwork for the firre than anything else. :smallredface:

Kaiyanwang
2008-12-09, 03:49 AM
Baatezu. Baatezu forever. Scheming, cunning, a multi-planar mafia.

As a DM, I love to play their lawful aspects more than their evil ones.

Tengu_temp
2008-12-09, 05:15 AM
Buer
http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m126/stoopidtallkid/RPG%20motivational/Enemies/96075.jpg

Because every time Buer gets mentioned, someone says "what were the creators of DND smoking when they made that thing?". And then I can explain to them that it's a real world demon and mock their lack of education.

Tempest Fennac
2008-12-09, 05:23 AM
I like Mustevals as well due to how cute they are. Lupinals and Moon Dogs are great as well.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-12-09, 01:47 PM
Buer
http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m126/stoopidtallkid/RPG%20motivational/Enemies/96075.jpgWhat were the creators of D&D smoking when they included that thing?

Tacoma
2008-12-09, 01:56 PM
This (http://www.headinjurytheater.com/article73.htm) is an amusing article. At the end it describes a historical fantasy monster from the year 77: the Bonnacon. It's "a bull that fires explosive, burning poop from its rear end". There is an illutration. Note the expressions of the Bonnacon and its victim.

EDIT: Code had a ] that should have been an =

Draz74
2008-12-09, 02:19 PM
I love the Couatl. Already did, but my love grew through a number of ingenious Gestalt Couatl builds in the Gestalt Challenge series.

Sorcerer casting (cleric spells allowed), combat-worthy flying snake form, Good but with flexible personalities, poisonous fangs, jungle habitat ... what's not to love?