PDA

View Full Version : what possibilities could you create with a "Chaos Engine"

maniakmastah
2008-12-07, 06:23 PM
Hey ya'll, new DM here just pitching an idea for my PCs when my first game comes to a close. After putting them through a horror game and messing with their heads, I've decided to give them something different and throw them something that they may either get laughs out of or curse me for ages to come with a humor based adventure involving the PCs trying to return an artifact that has, for ages, left chaos, disorder, anarchy and madness. Even the demons of the Abyss and the creatures of the Far Realms shutter at the sheer havoc this 'Chaos Engine' can create, and it's power is only limited by it's own twisted imagination. No one is safe from the Chaos Engine, even deities tremble at the sheer insanity and the unbridled chaos of the Chaos Engine. And what is this 'Chaos Engine' you ask, what is this artifact that brings with such disarray. Here *points down*

http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/3346/tetchi2006020511390661511135kctq5.jpg

The question is, what are some possibilities I can think about that will both make the PCs laugh (and possibly wet themselves), at times help the PCs, others drive them nuts. No idea is too outrageous. Send your craziness with gusto. Bonus points go to whoever can make the craziest ideas

Oslecamo
2008-12-07, 06:35 PM
A-The chaos engines gets her mind erased and awakens to think she's a normal person. She falls in love with a prince. The prince is kidnaped. She asks the party to help her save the prince. Whenever she gets angry her powers are unleashed, so the party must do it's best to help her, or suffer sheer chaos.

B-The chaos engine decides to become the ultimate maid. Of the party. Insanity ensues as she either saves the party of harsh situations or makes their situations a thousand times worst.

C-The gods task the party with entertaining the inocent Chaos Engine for a year in order to stop her from destroying reality out of boredom. By any means necessary.

D-The chaos engine hires the PCs herself. She demands them all kind of bizzarre wishes. Failure means the party suffers her chaos wrath. And either way they'll end up ressurected and forced to serve her again, untill 9 tasks in a row are fulffiled.

Jack_Simth
2008-12-07, 06:37 PM
Perhaps one thing it does is grant wishes - but there's a catch:
The wish doesn't apply to the wisher; it applies to the next person who gets a wish. Additionally, the Wish of the previous wisher can only affect the next wisher directly. That is, is the prior person wished for an item, the next person turns into said item (or is wearing said item), as it can't actually create items whole-cloth.

newbDM
2008-12-07, 10:03 PM
So, my DM/player who has been secretly spying on my threads finally shows himself.

Anyway, he forgot to mention that all the effects (usually) last for only one day. He said he wanted a table of around 100 results.

Here is a collection of the ideas I have thrown at him so far:

1. Your character switches places randomly with another of your PCs.
2. You're a Trap!!! (Switch genders for the day).
3. You become the Powerpuff Girls, and the Material Plane becomes Townsville for the day.
4. "Green acres is the place for me.
Farm livin' is the life for me."
Become lv.1 commoners for the day, and you all own/share a small farm which is ready for harvesting.
Later that day goblins come to raid and steal your crops.
5. Roll on the reincarnation table!
6. You appear at the feet of your deity. Today your deity has decided to spend the whole day on you one-on-one. You lucky boy! (Reroll if no patron deity)
7. You appear at the feet of your deity's most hated enemy. (Reroll if no patron deity)
8. You're dead for the day!!! (Roll randomly to see what type of undead/deathless you become for the day)
9. Treky for the day! (You appear aboard a Federation star ship, and everyone believes you are a crew member of this extremely unusual vessel. You are currently wearing a red uniform.)
10. Appear on a random plane (Roll on the table in the Manual of the Planes, or the DMG. You remain wherever you end up at the end of the day for this result)
11. Loli like pizza? (Become 11-12 years old [or the equivalent for your race] females of your race. 5% chance each hour of attracting a pervert/pedo. 20% chance each hour of attracting P-Bear.)
12. Go Go PC Rangers! (Become Super Sentai/Power Rangers for the day. Rita Repulsa [you can use my thread on her if you like] send a monster and some putties to invade your kingdom/city/town.)
13. Evil Twin cliche. (Your evil doubles, all sporting cool goatees [even elves], immerse from eith the Plane of Shadow or the Plane of Mirrors to stop you from completing your quest, kill you, and take your places.)
14. PCs must fight eachother in an areana like tournament with the chaos engine (Desu!) at the royal both dressed like a roman queen/emperous/goddess. She taunts you (like her in the series) through the whole thing. The winner gets a single Wish (as in the Wish spell) granted. (They get to keep this one, since Wish spells tend to screw over the PCs anyway. You usually need lawyer level wording, which they won't have due to only having like a few minutes until the day is over to make their wish.)
15. You a ho! (Appear as scantly dressed females in what seems to be a brothel run by a halfling "pimp" named Weasley)
16. You all get free helemts (Each players has a helmet of Opposite Alignment on their heads. They get to play evil/whatever alignments for the day!)

17. You are a depraved furry. (Switch races for the day. Roll a d50 and consult the following table)

Furry Table:
1. A Catfolk/Catboy/Catgirl (see Races of the Wild).
2. Goatfolk (Ibixian).
3. Hadozee (Gorilla humanoids)(see Stormwrack),

(Note: #4-#49 are from the Savage Species Antrophomorphic template.)
4. Ape Med
5. Baboon Med
6. Badger Small
7. Bat Small
8. Bear, black Med
9. Bear, brown Med
10. Bear, polar Med
11. Bison Med 2d8
12. Boar Med 2d8
13. Camel, bactrian Med
14. Camel, dromedary Med
15. Cat Small
16. Cheetah Med
17. Crocodile Med
18. Crocodile, giant Large
19. Dog Med
20. Dog, riding
21. Donkey Med
22. Eagle Med
23. Elephant, African Large
24. Elephant, Indian Large
25. Hawk Small
26. Horse, heavy Med
27. Horse, heavy war Med
28. Horse, light Med
29. Horse, light war Med
30. Leopard Med
31. Lion Med
32. Lizard Small
33. Lizard, giant Med
34. Monkey Small
35. Mule Med
36. Octopus 2 Med
37. Octopus, giant 2 Med
38. Owl Small
39. Pony Med
40. Pony, war Med
41. Porpoise 3 Med
42. Rat Small
43. Raven Small
44. Rhinoceros Med
45. Shark, Med.
46. Shark, Large 4 Med
47. Shark, Huge 4 Large
48. Snake, constrictor 5 Med
49. Snake, giant const.

50. Gnoll (a hyena basically)(see MM1)

18. The Street Fighter. (Get teleported into the Street Fighter Material Plane, and take part in the Street Fighter 2 torunament. The DM would need to get some stats for the characters, but the http://www.dmtools.org could make it a lot eaiser).

19. The photoshoot. (Players get teleported to the photoshoot of the latest Playdwarf issue. They seem to be the photogrpahers.)

20. It's Yo Baby! (A random PC turns out to be the father of an NPCs baby. This result remains after the day is done. Roll a d10 and consult the following table to see who the mother is:

Knocked up Table:
1. A random commoner.
2. The local constable 's (or similar position) wife.
3. A main female villain.
4. A friendly female NPC from past sessions.
5. An enemy NPC from past sessions.
6. An NPC from past sessions which everyone believed was a man, but was actually a guy (anime style).
7. Scott's PC's mother.
8. The PC's first cousin.
9. The king/queen of the nearest kingdom/empire/city state/drow city/etc's underage (teen) daughter.
10. DM's choice.

Note:
Or, you can swap out #10 for the Chaos Engine!

Notes:
Scott is one of the players.
Weaseley is another player's former PC, who was a halfling trying to become a "pimp" with a brothel.

newbDM
2008-12-07, 10:10 PM
A-The chaos engines gets her mind erased and awakens to think she's a normal person. She falls in love with a prince. The prince is kidnaped. She asks the party to help her save the prince. Whenever she gets angry her powers are unleashed, so the party must do it's best to help her, or suffer sheer chaos.

B-The chaos engine decides to become the ultimate maid. Of the party. Insanity ensues as she either saves the party of harsh situations or makes their situations a thousand times worst.

C-The gods task the party with entertaining the inocent Chaos Engine for a year in order to stop her from destroying reality out of boredom. By any means necessary.

D-The chaos engine hires the PCs herself. She demands them all kind of bizzarre wishes. Failure means the party suffers her chaos wrath. And either way they'll end up ressurected and forced to serve her again, untill 9 tasks in a row are fulffiled.

You sir are brilliant. I can not decide which plot idea I like more.

maniakmastah
2008-12-07, 11:37 PM
So, my DM/player who has been secretly spying on my threads finally shows himself.

Anyway, he forgot to mention that all the effects (usually) last for only one day. He said he wanted a table of around 100 results.

Here is a collection of the ideas I have thrown at him so far:

1. Your character switches places randomly with another of your PCs.
2. You're a Trap!!! (Switch genders for the day).
3. You become the Powerpuff Girls, and the Material Plane becomes Townsville for the day.
4. "Green acres is the place for me.
Farm livin' is the life for me."
Become lv.1 commoners for the day, and you all own/share a small farm which is ready for harvesting.
Later that day goblins come to raid and steal your crops.
5. Roll on the reincarnation table!
6. You appear at the feet of your deity. Today your deity has decided to spend the whole day on you one-on-one. You lucky boy! (Reroll if no patron deity)
7. You appear at the feet of your deity's most hated enemy. (Reroll if no patron deity)
8. You're dead for the day!!! (Roll randomly to see what type of undead/deathless you become for the day)
9. Treky for the day! (You appear aboard a Federation star ship, and everyone believes you are a crew member of this extremely unusual vessel. You are currently wearing a red uniform.)
10. Appear on a random plane (Roll on the table in the Manual of the Planes, or the DMG. You remain wherever you end up at the end of the day for this result)
11. Loli like pizza? (Become 11-12 years old [or the equivalent for your race] females of your race. 5% chance each hour of attracting a pervert/pedo. 20% chance each hour of attracting P-Bear.)
12. Go Go PC Rangers! (Become Super Sentai/Power Rangers for the day. Rita Repulsa [you can use my thread on her if you like] send a monster and some putties to invade your kingdom/city/town.)
13. Evil Twin cliche. (Your evil doubles, all sporting cool goatees [even elves], immerse from eith the Plane of Shadow or the Plane of Mirrors to stop you from completing your quest, kill you, and take your places.)
14. PCs must fight eachother in an areana like tournament with the chaos engine (Desu!) at the royal both dressed like a roman queen/emperous/goddess. She taunts you (like her in the series) through the whole thing. The winner gets a single Wish (as in the Wish spell) granted. (They get to keep this one, since Wish spells tend to screw over the PCs anyway. You usually need lawyer level wording, which they won't have due to only having like a few minutes until the day is over to make their wish.)
15. You a ho! (Appear as scantly dressed females in what seems to be a brothel run by a halfling "pimp" named Weasley)
16. You all get free helemts (Each players has a helmet of Opposite Alignment on their heads. They get to play evil/whatever alignments for the day!)

17. You are a depraved furry. (Switch races for the day. Roll a d50 and consult the following table)

Furry Table:
1. A Catfolk/Catboy/Catgirl (see Races of the Wild).
2. Goatfolk (Ibixian).
3. Hadozee (Gorilla humanoids)(see Stormwrack),

(Note: #4-#49 are from the Savage Species Antrophomorphic template.)
4. Ape Med
5. Baboon Med
6. Badger Small
7. Bat Small
8. Bear, black Med
9. Bear, brown Med
10. Bear, polar Med
11. Bison Med 2d8
12. Boar Med 2d8
13. Camel, bactrian Med
14. Camel, dromedary Med
15. Cat Small
16. Cheetah Med
17. Crocodile Med
18. Crocodile, giant Large
19. Dog Med
20. Dog, riding
21. Donkey Med
22. Eagle Med
23. Elephant, African Large
24. Elephant, Indian Large
25. Hawk Small
26. Horse, heavy Med
27. Horse, heavy war Med
28. Horse, light Med
29. Horse, light war Med
30. Leopard Med
31. Lion Med
32. Lizard Small
33. Lizard, giant Med
34. Monkey Small
35. Mule Med
36. Octopus 2 Med
37. Octopus, giant 2 Med
38. Owl Small
39. Pony Med
40. Pony, war Med
41. Porpoise 3 Med
42. Rat Small
43. Raven Small
44. Rhinoceros Med
45. Shark, Med.
46. Shark, Large 4 Med
47. Shark, Huge 4 Large
48. Snake, constrictor 5 Med
49. Snake, giant const.

50. Gnoll (a hyena basically)(see MM1)

18. The Street Fighter. (Get teleported into the Street Fighter Material Plane, and take part in the Street Fighter 2 torunament. The DM would need to get some stats for the characters, but the http://www.dmtools.org could make it a lot eaiser).

19. The photoshoot. (Players get teleported to the photoshoot of the latest Playdwarf issue. They seem to be the photogrpahers.)

20. It's Yo Baby! (A random PC turns out to be the father of an NPCs baby. This result remains after the day is done. Roll a d10 and consult the following table to see who the mother is:

Knocked up Table:
1. A random commoner.
2. The local constable 's (or similar position) wife.
3. A main female villain.
4. A friendly female NPC from past sessions.
5. An enemy NPC from past sessions.
6. An NPC from past sessions which everyone believed was a man, but was actually a guy (anime style).
7. Scott's PC's mother.
8. The PC's first cousin.
9. The king/queen of the nearest kingdom/empire/city state/drow city/etc's underage (teen) daughter.
10. DM's choice.

Note:
Or, you can swap out #10 for the Chaos Engine!

Notes:
Scott is one of the players.
Weaseley is another player's former PC, who was a halfling trying to become a "pimp" with a brothel.

One of the benefits of reading one too many mystery books is that you can help you put two and two together when trying to figure people out, but any way, these abilities (unless noted otherwise) last for about 24 hours and there are 100 possible things that can happen, though more can certainly happen as well. Here's some of my ideas.

1. Sailor Scouts unite!!! (switch genders for the day and each of you gain an alignment with 1 of 5 planetary bodies (roll 1d6 for each PC, , 1=Mercury 2=Mars 3=Jupiter 4=Venus 5=Moon 6=DM's choice, your armour turns into the traditional Sailor Senshi outfits and each PC gains a spell like ability useable every 1d6 rounds pertaining to the planet they are paired with.)

2. Everything you know is a LIE!!!! (you automatically planeshift for a day to a Material World where there is no magic and strange metal 'boxes' going really fast constantly move on rocky roads, and many people play this strange game called Dungeons and Dragons, and the PCs materialize in front of the players playing that group, this sudden realization that everything you ever thought true is really fictional causes insanity and possible tears in the space time continuum, roll for results)

3.Become a Giant (for the next 24 hours you grow to Huge size (gaining all the benefits and drawbacks of becoming larger).

4.I'm Batman ( your armour suddenly gets a cowl and bat pointed ears on your helmet, and a face mask obscures half of your face. You gain a +10 on Intimidate, Move Silently, Hide and Bluff checks, gain Improved Unarmed Combat, and increase your Strength, Dexterity, Charisma, and Constitution scores by 4. However, you attract some of the most demented and outrageous villains out to kill you. Another PC in the group has a 50% chance of becoming Robin, roll for each until one fails.)

5.We are Legion (the next town the PCs enter into is suddenly populated by male humanoids in black suits and identical faces. They continuously harass and drive the PCs insane for totally varying reasons that make no sense)

6.Freaky Friday (the PCs switch bodies with each other)

7.How did you get here (you suddenly gain an ally to aid them for the next month, this can be anyone (hero or villain) they have interacted with before, regardless if they are dead or alive. Nothing can stop this affect. Keep in mind the ally only aids you in certain things, and since the ally isn't a true follower, will not listen to any order it wouldn't normally do unless given a good reason. Allies role play themselves accordingly by the DM)

8.Robots in Disguise (you suddenly turn into a Huge sized construct capable of turning into a large boxe shaped vehicle on 18 wheels hauling a large compartment attached to it. You gain all the benefits of being Huge size and gain the following:+15 natural armour, can turn your right hand into an energy axe and can fire lasers out of your eyes. However, before the day is over, you face 'Megatron'.

9.I HAVE THE POWER!!!! (for the next 24 hours, you become a Greater Deity)

10. I just gotta dance!! (the PC plays as normal, but as soon as music begins to play (at the DM's choosing), the PC suddenly begins to start dancing (no saving throw to resist). Each person around must pass a DC 24 Will save to resist the urge to start dancing)

11.'Two Orcs walk into a bar..' (the PC suddenly teleports onto an ampitheatre just as the curtain rises and he stands in front of a large crowd of people waiting for him to start telling jokes. For each joke the PC makes, he must make a Perform check against the crowd. Passing gets the crowd laughing and praising, possibly earning a reward (DM rolls percentage for this to happen). Failure makes the crowd angry, and should the PC fail three times, the crowd starts to make ranged attacks against the PC with rotten fruit and vegetables, (roll a percentage to see if people in the crowd try to run up on stage to attack the PC)

maniakmastah
2008-12-07, 11:50 PM

Most impressive, this will give me quite a few options to consider. Thanks

Flickerdart
2008-12-07, 11:55 PM
Note that repeated misfortune is going to be considered par for the course, but fortune is Deus Ex Machina. The only things this person can cause are either hilarious (so she's worth keeping) or deadly.

Iuliano05
2008-12-08, 01:31 AM
honestly the best thing i could tell you is get gary's mod from steam and play around with that. It literally is the chaos engine, you can do some very silly things with that, and it can be applied to your PC's/world. Also its a ton of fun to boot!

Knaight
2008-12-08, 12:46 PM
Best advice I can give is for you to go read Storm Thief, which centers around characters trying to destroy something called the Chaos Engine, and it has tons, tons of effects that it causes with its storms. Just off the top of my head it mirror imaged a whole city, turned one of the main characters left handed, removed the ability to breath naturally of another main character, turned everyone under a certain age in a certain area to glass, and created some nasty creatures called Revenants.