2008-12-07, 06:59 PM
Clearly, 4E is too much like WoW.

Mushroom Ninja
2008-12-07, 07:02 PM
Has anyone else had a problem with the ink smudging in the PHB? :smallcool:

No, not yet at least...

NPCMook
2008-12-07, 07:03 PM
A little bit, I received my PHB slightly damaged, but it hasn't been to bad, just don't grip the books to hard around ink

Alteran
2008-12-07, 07:04 PM
Clearly, 4E is too much like WoW.

Absolutely! Once I got water on my computer when I was playing WoW, and it, like, smudged. I guess. The screen went all weird, so that counts, right?

Actually yes, I did smudge some of the ink in the Paladin section of my PHB. I had gotten a bit of wet-erase marker on it, and I (foolishly) tried to use a damp paper towel to get it off. I learned my lesson.

KKL
2008-12-07, 07:07 PM
Hm, my PHB hasn't had a problem with smudging.

Skjaldbakka
2008-12-07, 07:24 PM
I'm leaving fingerprint smudges on the pages. Not to the point of being illegible, but still annoying. Maybe I just got a bad printing?

Ralfarius
2008-12-07, 07:26 PM
Everything seems to be okay here. And I'm just about as greasy as the next geek.

KIDS
2008-12-07, 07:27 PM
I've noticed this effect, even though it hasn't been significant enough to be annoying. I believe that it comes from the partially "shiny" paper (you know, that kind which causes a horrible sound and sensation when you drag your fingers over it. I prefer plain old recycled paper...)

Alteran
2008-12-07, 07:40 PM
I just rememberd, but my friend got a really strange printing. There are lines down some pages where the ink skips, it seems like the paper was folded when it was printed. The printing itself hasn't seemed to smudge at all.

RTGoodman
2008-12-07, 08:48 PM
Apparently quite a few people have had the ink-smudge problem. I know I did, and there was some talk (http://www.myth-weavers.com/showthread.php?p=1363652) about it on Myth-Weavers a while back, but I don't think there was anything official ever said. Like I said their, mine smudges, but as long as you're not rubbing your hands on every page all the time it should be fine (for me, at least).

DSCrankshaw
2008-12-07, 08:58 PM
No worse than my 3.5 books, but then those seemed pretty smudge-able too.

Hzurr
2008-12-08, 02:44 AM
Mine seem pretty good so far, but my PHB is the French version, so it might have been printed differently than the standard US/English version.

But I doubt it.

Kurald Galain
2008-12-08, 04:15 AM
They'll probably start selling an extra large variety of those sleeves you put on Magic cards...

Rockphed
2008-12-08, 04:23 AM
If you hold your finger on a piece of text for more than a couple seconds, the ink spreads around. Otherwise, I don't have any smudges on my pages.:smallbiggrin:

Behold_the_Void
2008-12-08, 04:24 AM
I think I've got a bit of that on my Monster Manual, but otherwise I'm OK.

Asbestos
2008-12-08, 04:28 AM
Nope, no smudging for me. My fingers are dry as anything though. Wonder what it is doing this to people's PHBs? My bet is the ink, rather than people being all oily and gross. That shiny paper probably confounds it.

RPGuru1331
2008-12-08, 06:36 AM
No smudging, but I haven't had a deadtree for long, so that could mean anything.

TwystidMynd
2008-12-08, 02:07 PM
I've read another thread filled with people complaining about the 4e books smudge-factor. It was eventually attributed to a botched first printing (this was near the release of 4e), but that's just here-say. Supposedly the later printings are less smudge-able... but I don't really have the money to go buying newer printings of books I already have.

FoE
2008-12-08, 02:20 PM
I had a little bit of smudging in the Monster Manual. No biggie.

Tacoma
2008-12-08, 02:36 PM
You'd think they could get it right after more than five centuries of machine printing (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johann_Gutenberg) and more than five millenia of ink on paper (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paper).

EDIT: My copy of Chainmail is holding up quite well actually.

Tadanori Oyama
2008-12-08, 02:44 PM
Keep on the Shadowfell stained my fingers brown because I carried it all over.

My experience has been that if yuo get a page from the Core Books even slightly wet it'll smudge like I can't believe and that includes finger sweat. My kruthik page of the MM is pretty messed up in the corner from my holding the page during combat.

My core books are first release and none of the suppliments have smudged on me so I guess the story about the first round being "defective" has some truth.

Jimp
2008-12-08, 02:48 PM
I'm leaving fingerprint smudges on the pages. Not to the point of being illegible, but still annoying. Maybe I just got a bad printing?

The same has happened to me in some parts of the PHB, but not in others.