PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Campaign (A DM's Request)

Jansviper
2008-12-07, 07:30 PM
With finals on our doorstep and the end of the year approaching, my face-to-face play group finds itself in a conundrum. Most of the group wants to play a game this coming Thursday, but the main campaign is out of the question because at least two members will still be sitting finals while the rest of us sit around.

This will be the first time they've been able to attend a session for longer than an hour or two in almost four months, and I want to oblige that desire to play. The problem is that I have finals to study for as well, and no time to put something together. o_o

So.

I'm looking for a campaign. Something that can be run by 4-5 fairly competent 7th level PCs in 8 hours or less. Something that I can just grab off the internet (without having to acquire it illegally) and slap out after a read-over.

Open Source: The obvious choice. Is there a campaign out there you're familiar with that would work here? Toss me a link, it'll be greatly appreciated.

Closed Source: I really, really, really don't want any closed source material. I'm not going to go out and buy it in the next four days, and I won't be downloading it either. This may not even be the right term, but you know what I'm talking about.

Homebrew: Got a campaign lying around that you'd like to see run? I'd be happy to put my group through it. I'll even take notes on who ran it, how they ran it and send you feedback on how they felt about it.

EDIT: 3.5 or 3.0 please. And I'm perfectly willing to download things, just not illegally.

-=-=-

Long story short, I'm a bit in need. Anyone out there willing to lend a hand?

kamikasei
2008-12-07, 07:37 PM
Open Source: The obvious choice. Is there a campaign out there you're familiar with that would work here? Toss me a link, it'll be greatly appreciated.

Closed Source: I really, really, really don't want any closed source material. I'm not going to go out and buy it in the next four days, and I won't be downloading it either. This may not even be the right term, but you know what I'm talking about.

Can you clarify here? I assume you mean you want something is available free for legal download from the web, such as something self-published or posted here (http://wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/oa/20030530b)? I assume also that when you're talking about "closed source" you don't want something that's only been published in paper form, such that to get it for free you'd have to find an illegal torrent? If you actually don't want to download anything, that kind of limits what we can do to help.

Also, what edition are you looking for?

Jansviper
2008-12-07, 07:44 PM
This be closed source.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=products/dndacc/953857400'

It be costing money, playing it without paying it would be bad.

And not what I'd like.

3.5 or 3.0 please. And I'm perfectly willing to download things, just not illegally.

^_^ *Squirrels away the page you linked for examination later.*

Prometheus
2008-12-07, 07:56 PM
If you want hooks and pitches for campaign themes and settings, they are a dime a dozen (for example here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84492), here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76866), and here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/search.php?searchid=557334)). If you are looking for ones that are more involved, having monsters stated out and maps drawn, than you that is a little less common but probably still available. I'm going through finals myself or I'd be glad to help you (I've also lost track of my previous game material).

What I suggest (if this thread turns up no results) is to find an active PbP game on these boards that you admire how it was run, and whatever isn't in either the game thread or the discussion thread you should be able to get by PMing the DM.

Jansviper
2008-12-07, 08:10 PM
Yeah, I know how you feel. @_@ I'd run one of my old campaigns, but all those papers have a tendency to get lost...

I'll happily squirrel those hooks of yours away for later (they're rather well done) and I'll buzz you a PM if I'm looking to use one, but for this I'm looking for matters a bit more substantial. The only DM work I'm going to have time for pre-game is a read over and maybe a bit of editing to fit the party.

EDIT: Hell, I'm wasting valuable studying time here, now, with this already. ><

Kyace
2008-12-07, 11:47 PM
Here (http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product_info.php?products_id=28876&it=1&filters=0_0_1100&free=1) is a four pack of free adventures, in theory suitable for levels 3, 5, 7 and 14, respectively. Hall of Anarchy is the 7th level adventure. Apparently, these adventures was created over at enworld to be released for free. The site, drivethrustuff, generally has a wide selection of free third party splatbooks, so in my opinion worth the bother of creating a login for. (I've only briefly looked over the adventure, your mileage may very.)

Good luck with finals.

Edit: Ok, downloaded and just read threw the Hall of Anarchy Adventure. Quick review spoiled below
Seemed a pretty solid adventure that needed a balanced 4 party group. If you are lacking a rogue or cleric, you will hurt. Summery of the adventure is a group is entering a thieves' guild hidden in the sewers of a city to return a kidnapped girl from a halfling vampire (shivers at the presumed why). The identity of the girl depends on which plot hook you used. Be sure to slip in the name of "The Silver Coin Guild" as it comes into play in a few times.
Something I'm not fond about the adventure is how the secret door to enter the thieves' guild works. The DM needs to very careful in reading it or it could be a very frustrating/almost unsolveable puzzle. There are two fights that could turn ugly if the players get unlucky, but they should have plenty of warning for either (Come on, frightened statues are Adventuring 101. :P) I was mildly humored at the hostage's stat block.