PDA

View Full Version : Spell Recommendations for Sorcerer/Mystic Theurge

Tequila Sunrise
2008-12-07, 10:41 PM
I'm prepping a spellscale sorcerer for a 10th level evil campaign that a friend will be running. She was cool enough to let me have access to the cleric spell list; hence the MT mention. So if you were in my position, what spells would you pick?

TS

Stupendous_Man
2008-12-07, 10:48 PM
Wait, so this is a sorcerer/cleric, or just a sorcerer who has divine spells added to her spell list?

If so, you should totally go all out on wands!

Er, and for spells... let's see...

*reserved for when I have time to think*

AmberVael
2008-12-07, 10:52 PM

*nose wrinkle*
I hate the style of wands. I can never think of them as being cool and I really dislike that they run out.
*is fond of eternal wands instead*
/opinionated random comment

Anywho.
What spells you pick is based entirely on what you want to accomplish- from any aspect you look at it. So what is your goal? Do you want to be the most mechanically amazing character ever? Do you want to be PyroMaster, wielder of fire? Buffman, the buffer of amazing buffing?
Is there a cleric/druid/other such healer in the party? Are you expected to fill some role?

Personally, I had this opportunity myself, and I went with a strange caster based entirely on colors and lights. Fun stuff- very unique, and the combination of Divine and Arcane spells makes it work much nicer than either of them would be alone.

Tequila Sunrise
2008-12-07, 11:05 PM
Wait, so this is a sorcerer/cleric, or just a sorcerer who has divine spells added to her spell list?

I'll be a straight sorcerer with access to cleric spells. I'm sure I'll be using wands, but I don't want them to be my character's focus. Like Vael, I have issues with them both from an imagery PoV and mechanically.

And oh yeah, I have access to just about every WotC book in 3e. The only magic-centered ones that I can't access that I can think of are the second set of Completes.

What spells you pick is based entirely on what you want to accomplish- from any aspect you look at it. So what is your goal? Do you want to be the most mechanically amazing character ever? Do you want to be PyroMaster, wielder of fire? Buffman, the buffer of amazing buffing?
Is there a cleric/druid/other such healer in the party? Are you expected to fill some role?
No idea yet what the rest of the party will look like. I want to be able to do a bit of everything; buffing, healing, SoDs, utility. I'm going to steer clear of blasting because that's my usual shtick. (Okay I might take Disintegrate later but that's because it's an awesome spell especially coupled with True Strike!)

I don't want to break the game, especially not using cleric spells. I don't want my friend to get the idea that she was too generous. I definitely want to be effective in combat, but I don't need to dominate. I figure one SoD spell per save type will fix me in that area, especially with Heighten Spell.

TS

Stupendous_Man
2008-12-07, 11:06 PM
2 SoD spells per save actually.

One single target and one AoE. This will better enable you to tell enemies to SoD off.

Flickerdart
2008-12-07, 11:14 PM
If you want to do some of everything, Sorcerer is not your best bet. Sorcerers are better (a lot better, actually) for focused roles. A Wizard, on the other hand, can learn all the spells he wants from scrolls, giving you enormous versatility. Getting the Cleric spell list added doesn't change much, since the Sorcerer is still running behind and the Wizard can enjoy scribing Divine scrolls.

However, if you're set on Sorcery, there are some spells you can never go wrong with, like Disintegrate, Evard's Black Tentacles or Charm Person. The entire school of Illusion is a blessing for someone who wants to be versatile, as the Shadow Conjurations/Evocations are many spells for the price of one, and the (Major) Images have so many uses. Try to shy away from spells like Spider Climb or Knock: they can be replicated with skill checks, and a Sorcerer's spell list should be full of indispensable spells.

However, as a spontaneous caster, if you can afford to learn spells that you won't get to use all the time, do. Something like Restoration isn't going to come up every hour of your adventuring lifestyle, but you'll feel better about having learned it. Ditto spells geared against other mages: Spell Mantle is not the best use for a spell slot if you don't meet any enemy wizards that day.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-12-07, 11:19 PM
Eternal Wands are your friends. Stuff like Knock is a perfect example. Toss in Heighten Spell and the Rapid Metamagic variant are great for boosting versatility.

Tequila Sunrise
2008-12-08, 11:12 AM
Thanks everyone! Oh, and I never play a sorcerer without rapid metamagic. :smallwink:

TS

ShneekeyTheLost
2008-12-08, 11:43 AM
Your title is a bit misleading, as you are not subjecting yourself to the MT trap, however this option is really quite broken, I'm surprised your GM let you get away with it. It's effectively the capstone ability for Rainbow Servant for free.

Will your party NEED that extra healing? If so, I suggest picking up Cure Light Wounds eventually. As you have more spells per day, you're able to contribute significantly to healing with just that one spell.

Other useful spells to get:

Divine Power and Righteous Might. Hell, why not? They're more useful to you than to a Cleric. It's like Tenser's Transformation, without the suck.

If you want to be a 'buff-bot', may I suggest grabbing Greater Magic Weapon from the Wiz/Sorc list (3rd, as opposed to 4th), then grab Magic Vestments? That combination, particularly with Chain/Reach combo, is extremely useful.

Freedom of Movement might be a good choice to snap up as well.

If we're going 100% cheez-o-matic, then go Incantatrix. That way you can Persist them all without needing turn attempts.

ken-do-nim
2008-12-08, 11:48 AM
Divine Power and Righteous Might. Hell, why not? They're more useful to you than to a Cleric. It's like Tenser's Transformation, without the suck.

There you go. Buff with quickened divine favor, divine power, righteous might, enlarge person if the DM lets it stack with righteous might, haste, mirror image, and stoneskin and last of all Tenser's Transformation and then show the fighters how it's really done :smallbiggrin:

jcsw
2008-12-08, 01:04 PM
If your DM is kind enough to give you such a nice feature, try taking advantage of his kindness by asking to play a beguiler instead of sorc. See if he figures it out in time to stop you.

Tequila Sunrise
2008-12-08, 02:15 PM
Greater Magic Weapon and Vestments are good ideas; I'm not so sure about Divine Power & Company though. All those buffs do add up, but on the other hand I won't have many hp. And besides I don't want my DM to get the idea that she made a bad choice due to me abusing cleric spells.

I will be picking either cure light wounds or lesser vigor.

If your DM is kind enough to give you such a nice feature, try taking advantage of his kindness by asking to play a beguiler instead of sorc. See if he figures it out in time to stop you.
...Okay help me out here, I'm not a big optimizer. What's so great about a beguiler with cleric spells?

TS

Starbuck_II
2008-12-08, 03:12 PM
10th level:
Knowns
9 0th, 5 1st, 4 2nd, 3 3rd, 2 4th, 1 5th
Ideas I have, listen will you I hope-
You can figure out zero level your spell (if possible Divine spell Guidance should be picked up)
1st:
1) Ray of Enfeeblement: useful alot. (disqualifies feat trees if lower Str enough)
2) Ray of Clumsiness: just as useful (disqualifies feat trees if lower dex enough)
3) Grease: When is it not useful, trips stuff (close enough), helps eascape grapples, etc.
4) Magic Missile: force damage is useful sometimes
5) Sonic Blast: Will partial, deafens those who fail save, deals 1d4 sonic per 2 caster (dso 5d4 now).
2nd:
1) Ray of Stupidity: kills animals/dumb people (well comtoses them but same difference)
2) Shadow Spray: Sr damage and dazes so can't move so gets hit again.
3) Sting Ray: Subjects can only do move/standard action, not both (so no full attacks).

And you can figure out the rest.

AmberVael
2008-12-08, 03:16 PM
...Okay help me out here, I'm not a big optimizer. What's so great about a beguiler with cleric spells?

TS

Beguilers can cast any spell on their list without preparation. Typically, this is limited in power because of the smaller size of their list, and redundancy of it. However, if they gained access to the cleric spell list as well...