PDA

View Full Version : [4e] magic items & "Transfer Enchantment" ritual

Crazy Scot
2008-12-08, 03:54 AM
Okay, I was reading through the Adventurer's Vault the other day and came across this handy ritual, but had a few questions about it. "Transfer Enchantment" (page 199) seems to be set up so if you find a cool magic item, but for some reason can't use it, you can tranfer the abilities to a similar item of yours so you can gain the benefits of the item.

Now the rules say that you can't transfer an enchantment from a lower "level" item onto a higher "level" item ("level" being the level required to make it). Additionally, if you transfer a higher "level" enchantment onto a lower "level" item, you lose the lower "level" enchantment. This is all well and good, but it leaves a bit of a loop-hole. What if you find two items that are the same "level"? Can you tranfer one to the other and not lose either? If I were to read the RAI, it would seem that the answer would be you lose one of them (probably the "old" one), but by the RAW, it would seem that they would stack.

Am I reading this correct? What do you think about this? And yes, if you want to preface your responses as RAI vs. RAW, please feel free. Thanks in advance.

Tengu_temp
2008-12-08, 04:00 AM
I don't know the exact wording (away from book at the moment), but: If a player tried to pull on me something that's RAW, but very clearly not RAI, he'd get the corresponding book to the face. Here we have one of such cases. This is only a step less absurd than dead people taking actions.

EDIT: I'm pretty sure that by RAW one item can have only one magical property.

Kurald Galain
2008-12-08, 04:40 AM
RAW says, "you can transfer an enchantment to an item that already contains a lower-level enchantment".

So no.

BardicDuelist
2008-12-08, 06:35 AM
Okay, I was reading through the Adventurer's Vault the other day and came across this handy ritual, but had a few questions about it. "Transfer Enchantment" (page 199) seems to be set up so if you find a cool magic item, but for some reason can't use it, you can tranfer the abilities to a similar item of yours so you can gain the benefits of the item.

Now the rules say that you can't transfer an enchantment from a lower "level" item onto a higher "level" item ("level" being the level required to make it). Additionally, if you transfer a higher "level" enchantment onto a lower "level" item, you lose the lower "level" enchantment. This is all well and good, but it leaves a bit of a loop-hole. What if you find two items that are the same "level"? Can you tranfer one to the other and not lose either? If I were to read the RAI, it would seem that the answer would be you lose one of them (probably the "old" one), but by the RAW, it would seem that they would stack.

Am I reading this correct? What do you think about this? And yes, if you want to preface your responses as RAI vs. RAW, please feel free. Thanks in advance.

I think you A) have it backwards and B) are misinterpreting the intent of the ritual.

A) It says that you can transfer to an item that already contains a lower level enchantment. High to low, not the other way around.

B) The intent is, if I am correct, to allow you to keep your weapon (for story, weapon/armor preference, etc.) without losing the benefit of getting treasure (and the mechanical bonus/cool power).