PDA

View Full Version : Solo Rogue campaign. (3.5)

Tempest Fennac
2008-12-08, 06:39 AM
I'm running a solo campaign for a new D&D player who's using a Rogue, but I'm not sure where to go from here. They just reached level 2 after completing a Thief's Guild initiation mission, and I can't think of any adventures which aren't concerned with just stealing things. They suggested some plots to do with rival guilds, and they want me to keep DMing for them due to them feeling as though I'm doing a good job. Does anyone have any plot ideas which won't rely on them gaining an NPC friend? (I don't really like using them unless it's for a specific small part of the overall story.)

SoD
2008-12-08, 06:44 AM
One idea; rescue mission. I assume they're sticking with the theives guild. A rogue has been kidnapped/caught, they need to rescue. Another; Someone's been stealing from the guild itself. Another; there's a freelance theif, take him down. Another; a rival guild has opened up, either destroy it, or convince it to join with the current one (that is, be assimilated). Another; diplomacy mission with another cities theives guild, to allow theives to steal from each others cities, albeit with a tax.

How's that? Some'll be better when he's a higher level though.

Tempest Fennac
2008-12-08, 06:46 AM
Thanks for those. :smallsmile: I'm reluctant to let them enter combat (they insisted on picking 2-Weapon Fighting rather then Weapon Finesse at level 1 so that they could use 2 Punching Daggers).

SoD
2008-12-08, 06:49 AM
Well, in their favour, TWF is legal for a first level rogue, weapon finesse isn't (it requires BAB +1. Stupid, eh? Given that nearly everyone who typically would use it [rogues, monks and bards in core] have 3/4 BAB).

Tempest Fennac
2008-12-08, 06:51 AM
I know what you mean. (I ignore that prequisite. I'll have to remember to add that to the house rules which I typed up for a separate PBP game which I'm running: http://mydndgame.com/?action=campaign-view&campaign=203 ). I'm using those rules in my solo Chat games as well.

Satyr
2008-12-08, 08:36 AM
Just a few brainstorm results:

- Negotiations with the captain of a smuggler ship about the import of drugs, slaves, or other illegal but highly valuable goods

- Collecting protection money from local merchants

- Maskerading as a servant and infiltrating a noble's husehold for a later burglar mission

- Sending a warning to a Gang that doesn't pay the necessary respect to the guild's head

- Sending a 'respected citizen' to the fishes after he has severely beat up a prostitutew under the guild's protection

- getting involved in an intrigue between to local clergymen, both willing to use illegal means to compromise the other (bonus points for compromising both in the end)

- freeing a colleague from prison

- bribing the local commander of the townsguard to investigate a rival organisation

- eliminating a traitor

- close a deal with a powerful alchemist who wants some exotic ingreedients and offer potions to the guild

- the same as above, but replace 'alchemist' through 'black wizard', 'exotic ingredients' through 'sentient sacrifices' and 'potions' through 'powerful magical items'.

-getting arested and try to break out from arrest

- investigate the disappearance of a handful of guild members

- cleanse a nest of kobolds/wererats/otyughs who settle to close to the stereotypic secret sewer hideout.

- meet a conspiracy of one of the guild's capos to replace the head of the guild - join them or warn the boss of the mutiny.

-Hire a bunch of mercenaries and assail caravans who come in or leave the city

Tempest Fennac
2008-12-08, 08:52 AM
Coincidentally, the hideout is in the sewers.:smalltongue: Also, I did a plot involving another solo player protecting a caravan from bandits (the idea being that the bandits had been hired by a local merchant who had a monopoly to put the Phanaton Rogue who set up the new trading company out of buisness).

kme
2008-12-08, 09:27 AM
If you are lazy to create your own story you can check this (http://dnd.columbusgaming.com/books/Adventure/DnD%203E_Thief%20Among%20Us.pdf) free module. It is very detailed with a focus on roleplaying and it is intended for a rogue of 1-2 level. I think that even the background is something like a first task after initiation in the thief's guild, but sadly the mission is to steal something so it may not be what you want.

Tempest Fennac
2008-12-08, 09:39 AM
Thanks for that link. It's more to do with a lack of imagination rather then lazyness to be honest.:smallfrown:

Satyr
2008-12-08, 09:42 AM
Addendum: If you have Neverwinter Nights 1 with both expansions, look for a fan-made module called "Dance with Rogues". It is well-made and includes many different missions of a rogue in a thieve's guild, but it is clearly for an older and more mature audience (who can stand gratious amounts of sex and violence).

Tempest Fennac
2008-12-08, 09:45 AM
Another reason why I wanted to transfer the campaign to someone else is that my friend wanted a dark setting. (They would probably be okay with that adventure, but I'd hate it.)