PDA

View Full Version : I Haz teh trojanz

Elm11
2008-12-08, 06:53 AM
uhh, i hope someone out there is smarter than i am at cpus, because i've picked up a trojan from a disk a friend assured me was clean:smallannoyed:. It's called *trojan-downloader.win32.agent.variant*. Also, while my firewall and security systems appear unable to pick it up, my World of Warcraft browser can :smallconfused:.

I use trend micro internet security (up to date).

The comsequences so far that i have encountered are:

1. Blue screen of death when starting up (fixed by cold reboot)

2. Web searches with google getting redirected to random other sites
(works second time)

I have all my security measures on max, and currently have to manually autherize all web passage.

Can i get some recommendatons on any software/other that i could get?

Silence
2008-12-08, 08:55 AM
Try Avast! It worked for me.

Krytha
2008-12-08, 09:08 AM
I use ESET Nod 32. I have no complaints thus far.

SilverSheriff
2008-12-08, 09:18 AM
Try downloading the Free Trials of AVG Anti-Virus and AVG Anti-Spyware, I used to use it before I had the money to buy my own Anti-Virus Software, just let it scan and delete all the problems before the Trial's Time Period ends.

ghost_warlock
2008-12-08, 09:20 AM
I use AVG for anti-virus and Spybot for spyware. They've never let me down.

Bouregard
2008-12-08, 09:49 AM
Norton Internet Protection from Symantec for me. Or Kaspersky. I'm very happy with both.

Narmoth
2008-12-08, 10:27 AM
please share?

Bor the Barbarian Monk
2008-12-08, 10:38 AM
Try going here (http://hoaxbusters.org/). This (http://hoaxbusters.org/anti.html) is the page with all the programs you can download. The basic programs are free, and your computer will be well-protected by them.

Milanius
2008-12-08, 02:08 PM
Avast! Home edition + Super Anti-Spyware [freeware, both of'em]. Avast, to destroy opposition by napalming it, SAS to take care of remaining trojan strongholds afterward and neuter neutralize them.

Good Luck & Good Hunting.

Elm11
2008-12-08, 03:30 PM
Great, thanks for all the recommendations.

As yet, i haven't got it, but my father is working on something.

Turns out, after some weeding in program files, i found several copies of the ISO that was used to install the game-the place where i think it may have been stored. Problem is, even though i've deleted them, i'm still having all the problems described in the OP.

Again, thanks :smallsmile:

snoopy13a
2008-12-08, 03:37 PM
Am I the only who thought the title was referring to a certain rubber product? :smalltongue:

Milanius
2008-12-08, 03:41 PM
Am I the only who thought the title was referring to a certain rubber product? :smalltongue:
:smallconfused:
*quick Google session ensues*
:smallannoyed:
He needs to keep his other hardware clean and protected...

Collin152
2008-12-08, 05:34 PM

*raises hand*
Guilty.

UserClone
2008-12-08, 06:04 PM
I also thought he was whining about having to use condoms.:smallbiggrin:

Mando Knight
2008-12-08, 06:07 PM
...They still spread malware through disks? :smallconfused:

I thought that went the way of the 3.5 floppy...

Backup all of your important files (ones you know haven't been infected...) on an external hard drive or CD/DVD, then reformat your hard drive. Obliterating everything on the hard drive usually works.

OverdrivePrime
2008-12-08, 06:36 PM
I just got hit by that gorram Perfect Defender scam this weekend. Luckily, Malware Bytes (http://www.malwarebytes.org/) was able to get rid of the frellin' thing for me so that I didn't have to suffer the shame of bringing my work laptop in to I.S.

Elm11
2008-12-09, 12:07 AM
*googles*

:smalleek: that is just a little disdurbing. I assure you that i have as of yet no interest in certain instruments.

EDIT: W00T H4X!!!1!one! School be over :biggrin:

llamamushroom
2008-12-09, 05:43 AM
EDIT: W00T H4X!!!1!one! School be over
Same here! On the same day too...
Greetings, acolyte!
Anyway, a friend of mine recently had a very similar problem, and used AVG. He said it worked like a dream.How goes your search for Glod?

Thanatos 51-50
2008-12-09, 09:16 AM

I was like "On the playground? No way!"
Clicking ensued.

DanielX
2008-12-10, 01:12 AM
There's now 110%-safe means of protecting against viruses and Trojans. I myself had a pretty nasty battle with the WinDefender/Vundo virus a couple of years back.

For this one, the others above have recommended the likely solutions. I'd first try to use antivirus / anti-malware programs to kill the thing. If nothing else works, back up data files (and only data files you can verify as having no 'extra hangers-on' - really smart people make backups regularly anyway), reformat, and reinstall all programs.

Some various methods which can guarantee safe(r) browsing:
1. If possible, don't use Windows for your web browsing. A 90% market share plus a good number of security holes... something like 99% of all viruses in the wild infect primarily Win32 systems. This means Mac, Linux, or another UNIX-based system. Software may be an issue - though WoW does run on Mac and Linux, and you can always dual-boot two or more OSes (Windows/Linux and Windows/Mac are both common - I use Windows/Ubuntu).

2. Try not to surf with Administrator privileges. This isn't a big problem with Linux or most other UNIX systems, as you usually either have to login to root to use them or use sudo. But in Windows, you should use a limited account (which very few do) if you surf on suspect sites. I don't know how this works with Macs. (Sadly, I don't follow this advice. But nowadays I only rarely use Windows anyway, and do most browsing in Linux; another issue is that many games don't work well without admin privileges in Windows, at least in older versions).

3. Keep up-to-date on software updates. Okay, wait a week before installing a new Microsoft Service Pack, but otherwise, whenever MS or Apple or Ubuntu or whoever releases a security update, its usually a good idea to install it.

4. Avoid Internet Explorer. Install the latest version of Firefox (which has vulnerabilities and viruses, but fewer of them) and two critical add-ons: NoScript and Adblock Plus. NoScript is a pain, but a good pain - it prevents JavaScript and Java scripts from running without your permission (so you can still use them on sites you know are safe, like giantitp.com). Adblock Plus does as it says. I've been using both for the past few months. Malicious scripts and pop-ups are two very common ways that bad guys can screw computers up.

5. Take any security precautions you can. Run an antivirus program regularly (Avast and AVG are free ones for Windows). Run malware-removal programs like Spybot, Ad-aware, or Microsoft's own anti-spyware program if you're in Windows. (hell, looking over this, I decided to install ClamAV on my Linux partition - there is some Linux malware after all, and Linux boxes may be carriers for viruses that can't infect them - I don't want to find my Windows partition suddenly acting up because I downloaded a virus that doesn't affect Linux). If nothing else, use Windows' own built-in firewall and anti-malware programs (which aren't very good but they're a lot better than nothing).

6. Keep in mind the most critical security flaw in many systems is located between keyboard and chair. There's a reason spammers and phishers manage to make a living, after all.