PDA

View Full Version : As a new DM... any suggestions?

rubycona
2008-12-08, 09:04 AM
Hello, everyone.

I only just became DM of our regular game a few days ago, because our old DM felt like playing instead. I've been playing D&D for about a year, and am pretty familiar with the rules... I've a good mind for that sort of thing, and was basically the walking encyclopedia of our regular game anyway. I've read the PHB cover to cover (probably 5 times now, considering how many characters I've helped build XD), and the DMG once over.

So, aside from being familiar with the DMG, the rules and with play in general, any tips / ideas for how to be not just A DM, but a really good one? Our old DM had practices I really didn't like, so I don't know how much I want to mimic him. He has offered to help out, so no problem there.

I guess it's silly, but I'm nervous about messing up the game for everyone else. Which is why I'm asking.

Thanks for your ideas ^-^

kamikasei
2008-12-08, 09:11 AM
Cast your gaze at the stickies at the top of the forum and find a guide (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76474) to just what concerns you.

And good luck!

rubycona
2008-12-08, 09:12 AM
Ack!

I completely missed that...

Bah.

Thanks XD

BRC
2008-12-08, 10:03 AM
Make NPC's memorable, even if you don't intend to use them again.

Don't struggle with the players, but work with them, if they have more fun, chances are you are having more fun. Example, at one point I had my PC's hunting down a criminal, they had a list of his associates, one of which was an orcish mercenary named Krak, who I played as the "Big Dumb Orc" and never intended to use in the first place. However, my players fell in love with him and wanted to hire him, so between sessions I statted him out as a 4th level orcish barbarian and added a sequence where they needed to rescue him from a local theives guild (at the end of which, he delt a rediculous amount of damage with no equipment except a lead pipe he had ripped off the wall (Greatclub), which caused me to adopt our regular DM's houserule of using the 3.0 power attack).

Don't be afraid to improvise, set things up, but let the PC's find their own way. Generally, PC's are pretty good about grabbing your plot hooks, so you don't need to railroad them, once you start railroading heavily they will look for ways to resist. Don't be afraid to update your plan, if they go the wrong way, make it the right way, If they think the evil cult is meeting under the library instead of in the old mine, stick a secret door in the library leading to the cult's meeting spot.

Jinura
2008-12-08, 10:10 AM
Be ready to improvise, even though i have just DM'ed once, i learned that. The party was going to this old fort becuse they heard there was shinies to be found. So well they got attacked by some kobolds on the way, they quickly mutiliated them, and then the ranger began looking for tracks. I said he found some small kobold like steps leading into the forest... Well lets just say they forgot about the fort with gold, and headed into the forest, eventually finding a kobold fort( which they burned to the ground with every piece of gold they found inside. So much for forgetting)

kamikasei
2008-12-08, 10:23 AM
Make NPC's memorable, even if you don't intend to use them again.

Actually, this reminds me to recommend you read the Giant's articles on gaming, over on the left of the page. Useful ones include the villain workshop, and the article on "texture". The lesson in a nutshell: have enough preparation done, and build up enough skill in improvising descriptions, that the players feel like they're in a cohesive environment and can't just go "well, there's only one thing being given any description so it must be the plot device". Helps move towards immersion and away from metagaming.

valadil
2008-12-08, 10:27 AM
The whole point is for you and the players to have fun. Keep that in mind and you should be fine.

I find GMing is as much a performance as it is gaming. Even if the session I planned is crappy, if I approach it with energy and enthusiasm the players will get into it. When they get enthused the energy between players and GM will feed off itself and make for a good game. On the flip side, a well thought out session can be ruined by a bored or miserable GM.

Narmoth
2008-12-08, 10:36 AM
Read this: dm of the rings. (http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?cat=14) Don't do any of the described mistakes. :smallbiggrin:

Good luck

lisiecki
2008-12-08, 10:43 AM
Remember, You are there to punish them.
Who are these "players" and how dare they think they can handle your game?

Oh and don't forget, spheres of annihilation in 10x10 rooms with walls and self locking doors made out of adamantium.

rubycona
2008-12-08, 11:40 AM
Hehehe, good tips ^-^

I appreciate it. I suppose the thing I gained most from the DM guide thread was the "You will make mistakes, get over it" part. I'm taking over the game from my husband so he can play, and while I think I'll love DMing, I'm nervous about making a fool of myself.

One thing I learned NOT to do from him, though, was this:

DM: There's 2 drow in the hallway
Me: Is there anything distinguishing the drow?
DM: .... one's male, and one's female?
Me: No, I mean, anything that relates to combat that I should know by looking at them.
DM: No, not really.
Me: Ok *charges one randomly*
DM: As you get within 10 ft, he attacks you with his spiked chain
Me: Wait a sec, could I have seen that while running in?
DM: Well, look at the miniatures. One's got a chain, and the other one has a wand.
Me: ...

Who_Da_Halfling
2008-12-08, 12:02 PM
Remember, You are there to punish them.
Who are these "players" and how dare they think they can handle your game?

Oh and don't forget, spheres of annihilation in 10x10 rooms with walls and self locking doors made out of adamantium.

[/end sarcasm]

Fixed it for you.

In my experience, a little preparation can go a long way. My players were pleasantly surprised when I started describing the city they had just reached in detail and even more so when i pulled out the fairly detailed hand-drawn map. They even had a short discussion of whether or not they should try to buy horses from the Military Stables (I subtly pointed out that if you wanted a Jeep, you wouldn't first go to the military depot, would you?).

At the same time, don't feel the need to over-prep or over-utilize what you have prepared. If you're at all like me, I like to have at least guidelines for whatever path the PCs might take; however, don't feel the need to use all of it. If you put together 3 plot hooks that each lead the PCs on a slightly different path to get to where the action is, don't force them to experience all of them once they've gone along with the flow.

That said, there's nothing really wrong IMO with giving the players a little nudge if they're getting stuck. For instance, if the players made an explicit effort to search the WALLS but not the FLOOR where a hidden door is and they're about to leave without exploring the rest of the dungeon, you can helpfully have them trip over the door (which was sort of meant to be discovered). I had a DM once who wanted us to chase after a thief who stole the wizard's spellbook, but we lost him and the DM had no other plans for getting us to battle the anti-caster guild, so we had no session. A little railroading is sometimes preferable to no session at all.

-JM

lisiecki
2008-12-10, 04:47 PM
Fixed it for you.

No, not really

With to apologies Jolie Holland

Gimme that old fashion dungeon crawl
It's good enough for me

What was good enough for my uncle
It was good enough for my uncle
It was good enough for my uncle
It's good enough for me

Sister don't get worried
Sister don't get worried
Sister don't get worried
Because the world is almost done

It's good enough for me

It was good enough for gary gygax
It's good enough for me

Sister don't get worried
Sister don't get worried
Sister don't get worried

It's good enough for me

It was good enough for Margaret Weis
It's good enough for me

Sister don't get worried
Sister don't get worried
Sister don't get worried

Raum
2008-12-10, 06:35 PM
I appreciate it. I suppose the thing I gained most from the DM guide thread was the "You will make mistakes, get over it" part. I'm taking over the game from my husband so he can play, and while I think I'll love DMing, I'm nervous about making a fool of myself.Yep, you will make mistakes. Trick is to realize that and learn from them. :) Don't get nervous over it, you're there to have fun as much as the other players are - you just take a different role as a GM.

One thing I learned NOT to do from him, though, was this: <snip>Hehe, you've learned one lesson already then - the GM is the players' window into the world. Be as transparent as possible. They only see the NPCs, objects, locations, etc through your words.

Other general advice:
- Remember you're all there to have fun gaming and role playing. Don't set that aside for purposes of a "story" unless you all decide you're there to have fun telling & acting stories instead. (Short version - avoid railroads unless the players buy into it.)
- Remember GM attention is a reward. Spread it around between players as much as possible.
- Don't make specific plans too far ahead. Yet you do need to make some general plans, they'll help you deal with unexpected PC actions far easier. One of the easier methods of accomplishing this is planning NPC & antagonist goals instead of specific actions, locations, or events. With a bit of practice it's easy to have an NPC choose different actions to fit changing circumstance when you already have a goal in mind.

One last thing - there's is lots of advice available. Read it, try it, and find out what works for you. Groups are as different as the people creating them.