PDA

View Full Version : 4e DR?

Glooble Glistencrist
2008-12-08, 12:07 PM
I'm new to 4e homebrewing. I was working on my glooples, and I noticed nothing in the 4e monster manual has Damage Reduction? Has that mechanic been eliminated, or just absorbed into resistances?

Mercenary Pen
2008-12-08, 12:16 PM
Just absorbed into resistances I would say...

Rather than stating that a monster has (for example) DR10/Psychic, they prefer these days to give it Vulnerable 10 Psychic, for a similar result, without shutting half the party down.

Pirate_King
2008-12-08, 12:37 PM
If you're thinking what I'm thinking you're thinking, you're going to have to basically bit your lip on grinders and just give them a high resistance(say, 15) to all types of damage except for acid, and recognize that the little guy was probably a pretty low level with a mundane weapon.

DracoDei
2008-12-08, 12:40 PM
Or go ahead and reintroduce DR into the equation... being limited by what already exists is NOT the mark of a anything but the most mediocre of homebrewers...

Mando Knight
2008-12-08, 12:50 PM
But there is already a mechanic for reducing damage in 4E. Adding in 3.X's DR system would only increase the confusion.

For DR 5/-, use Resist All 5. For DR 5/cold, use Resist All 5, Vulnerable Cold 5 (in effect, remove 5 damage, then add 5 damage back on, for a minimum of 5 damage...), or just Vulnerable Cold 5 (cold deals extra damage, everything else is normal...). Red Dragons, for example, have lost their Vulnerability to cold, their DR, and their immunity to fire in exchange for a large resistance to fire... enough so that only a Ranger/Rogue with a flaming weapon and combat advantage could normally break it without the Epic feat Irresistible Flame.

DracoDei
2008-12-08, 12:55 PM
Sorry, if "Resist All" exists in 4E, then that works just fine.

My only excuse is that I loathe:smallyuk: 4E both legally and mechanically, and so am very unfamiliar with it.:smallamused:

RPGuru1331
2008-12-08, 12:55 PM
Or go ahead and reintroduce DR into the equation... being limited by what already exists is NOT the mark of a anything but the most mediocre of homebrewers...

Wouldn't introducing a redundant mechanic effectively be a waste of one's time though?

If you want to bring back specific vulnerabilities to an otherwise all encompassing defense, why not just take Mando Knight's suggestion?

Closet_Skeleton
2008-12-08, 12:57 PM

Wouldn't introducing a redundant mechanic effectively be a waste of one's time though?

I would say that creating over complicated house rules for things that don't need them is the hallmark of an inexperianced homebrewer.

Glooble Glistencrist
2008-12-08, 01:00 PM
I think I'll use Mando's suggestion. It seems the most effective.

DracoDei
2008-12-08, 01:01 PM
It appears I ninja-ed several people with my retraction?

Edit: To try to be clearer, simple DR is more concise to read an explanation of (if not by literal world count than by clarity) than:
Resistance Bludgeoning 15, Resistance Cold 15, Resistance Electricity 15, Resistance Fire 15, Resistance Necrotic 15, Resistance Radiant 15,...
Or whatever it would have to be to list everything OTHER than Acid individually...
"Resist All 15, Vulnerability to Acid 15" is much more concise, and in context superior in every way to both.

Inyssius Tor
2008-12-08, 05:13 PM
Regeneration X (does not function during any round where the Y has taken Z [type] damage) is another method they use.