PDA

View Full Version : Simple Q&A (by RAW) VIII [All Games]

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

powerdemon
2009-02-08, 04:57 PM
Q 322.5
Arg, that's what I meant :smallwink:

Is there a known way to get around that short of a homebrew rule/feat? My intent is a character using a shield in each hand. I'm guessing no, but it never hurts to ask.

RTGoodman
2009-02-08, 05:28 PM
A 322.5

Not that I know of. However, only the shield bonuses (and enhancement bonuses to that) DON'T stack. As far as I know, you could wield a +5 heavy fortification heavy shield in one hand for +7 to AC and the ability to ignore crits and sneak attack 100%, and then a +1 arrow-catching blinding ghost-touch spell-resistance (19) light shield in the other, gaining all of those abilities, too.

powerdemon
2009-02-08, 05:53 PM
A 322.5

Not that I know of. However, only the shield bonuses (and enhancement bonuses to that) DON'T stack. As far as I know, you could wield a +5 heavy fortification heavy shield in one hand for +7 to AC and the ability to ignore crits and sneak attack 100%, and then a +1 arrow-catching blinding ghost-touch spell-resistance (19) light shield in the other, gaining all of those abilities, too.

Thanks rtg, I had forgotten about that fact. I appreciate the input. :smallbiggrin:

Thurbane
2009-02-08, 08:47 PM
Q 314 Does anyone know a class that provides bonuses to both Cha and Wis? Also, does anyone know a class that has bonuses only for Cha?
A 314

The Human Paragon and Half-Elf Paragon classes (UA) both give +2 to ANY ability, and a half-elf can qualify for both classes. The Warchief (MH) gives bonuses to CHA. There are probably others that I've forgotten.

Curmudgeon
2009-02-08, 11:32 PM
A 320 Both.

Eloel
2009-02-09, 02:55 PM
Q323
What are the ways to boost initiative, using
MIC, XPH, CompPsi & Core ?
MIC can only be used for weap enchantments.

I already have
Improved Init
Nimble Psicrystal
A (relatively) high dex
Warning enchantment
Eager enchantment

I'm mostly looking for items & powers, but feats can also help (I have limited wealth, so don't go crazy, 9th ECL...)

RTGoodman
2009-02-09, 05:17 PM
A 323

Taking a look at this Initiative Optimization (http://forums.gleemax.com/wotc_archive/index.php/t-454091) thread, the only other things I can find are listed below. The items are probably too expensive, hut I don't know ECL 9 WBL off-hand.

-Good hope spell (PHB): +2 morale bonus to ability checks
-Rod of Alertness (DMG): +1 insight bonus to initiative
-Pale Green Ioun Stone (DMG): +1 competence bonus to ability checks
-Stone of Good Luck (DMG): +1 luck bonus to ability checks
-Duelist PrC (DMG): +2 (at 2nd level) and +4 (at 8th level) unnamed bonus to initiative

Those might not work for you, but it's all I could find online in the allowed sources.

However, note that Initiative is specifically a kind of Ability Check, so anything that gives a bonus to Dexterity checks and ability checks in general will increase Initiative, too.

Sbodd
2009-02-09, 11:51 PM
Q324:

Can a Wildshaped Druid (without Improved Trip) that's become a Huge creature (either by being level 15, or by becoming Large and then casting Animal Growth) make a trip attack at reach (with the reach of 10' from becoming Huge)? If so, does the opponent get an AoO, and is the Wildshaped Druid suceptible to being counter-tripped if the attempt fails?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2009-02-10, 01:32 AM
A. 324

First of all, let me note that many large creatures have a reach of ten, you do not absolutely need to be huge, but it helps of course.

You may make trip attempts at your reach.

Strictly speaking you cannot make an AoO against an opponent you do not threaten so if you are trying to trip a non-reach opponent you can avoid the AoO. (Some house rule that you may make an AoO if the reach attempt is made with unarmed attacks or natural weapons, but that is another matter)

There is no such protection against the counter-trip, so that you may suffer regardless of reach.

RTGoodman
2009-02-10, 01:50 AM
A 324 (Aside)

I just wanted to point out that, as per the current rules on Wild Shape (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/classes/druid.htm), you retain your original type (since WS is based on Alternate Form (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#alternateForm)), meaning you're not a legal target for the animal growth spell.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2009-02-10, 03:24 AM
A 324 (Aside)

I just wanted to point out that, as per the current rules on Wild Shape (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/classes/druid.htm), you retain your original type (since WS is based on Alternate Form (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#alternateForm)), meaning you're not a legal target for the animal growth spell.

Unless you were an animal in the first place.:smallamused:

It is an important point. :smallsmile:

Eloel
2009-02-10, 06:13 AM
Q325
Does MoMF improve Druid wildshape limit? e.g, can a Druid 5/MoMF 5 wildshape into something with 10 HD, or is he limited to 5 HD stuff?

Adumbration
2009-02-10, 06:35 AM
Q. 326

Is a Shadow Dragon using the Shadow Blend ability - effectively giving it Total Concealment in any illumination other than full daylight - required to do Hide checks to avoid notice? What about Move Silently checks?

monty
2009-02-10, 12:47 PM
A 326

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/hide.htm

Total cover or total concealment usually (but not always; see Special, below) obviates the need for a Hide check, since nothing can see you anyway.
The "Special" section refers to being invisible, which isn't relevant here, so no Hide check is necessary. Move Silently still applies, though.

lsfreak
2009-02-10, 05:10 PM
Q327
Are there any spells that could permanently change someone's hair color/length, eye color, and/or possibly skin color, or failing that spells of 24hr+ duration?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2009-02-10, 05:44 PM
A. 325

Yes, it was added in the errata that the MoMF levels stack with levels that grant wild shape for the purpose of determining maximum HD. Duration is not mentioned, but the Sage indicated that it was supposed to increase as well, however that does not make it RAW.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2009-02-10, 05:46 PM
A. 327 Partial

Polymorph any Object, Limited Wish, Wish and Miracle.

powerdemon
2009-02-10, 08:02 PM
Q 328

How do undead handle spot and listen checks? Namely zombies and skeletons.

I read in Libris Mortis that undead sense life energy if they don't have eyes so that leads me to believe that hiding in the traditional sense would not do anything.

Q 329

What armor are human warrior skeletons proficient with?

Curmudgeon
2009-02-11, 01:42 AM
A 328

Undead use the same skill check mechanisms as any other creatures unless their writeups say otherwise. Spot and Listen are based on Wisdom, and undead have average values for that attribute. There's nothing in the skill descriptions that require a creature to use (or even have) eyes for Spot, or ears for Listen.

A 329

Monsters are proficient with the standard equipment listed in their writeups. That's no armor for human Warrior skeletons (though heavy shields are included). However, as skeleton is an acquired template, they retain all the base creature's statistics and special abilities except as noted; for a human Warrior, that includes proficiency with all armor. There is no note for the skeleton template removing this proficiency.

powerdemon
2009-02-11, 08:37 AM
A 328

Undead use the same skill check mechanisms as any other creatures unless their writeups say otherwise. Spot and Listen are based on Wisdom, and undead have average values for that attribute. There's nothing in the skill descriptions that require a creature to use (or even have) eyes for Spot, or ears for Listen.

A 329

Monsters are proficient with the standard equipment listed in their writeups. That's no armor for human Warrior skeletons (though heavy shields are included). However, as skeleton is an acquired template, they retain all the base creature's statistics and special abilities except as noted; for a human Warrior, that includes proficiency with all armor. There is no note for the skeleton template removing this proficiency.

Thanks a bunch :smallbiggrin:

Shhalahr Windrider
2009-02-11, 10:27 AM
Q 330
D&D 3.5

Will a Blast glyph of warding placed on a chest damage the chest's contents when triggered?

Curmudgeon
2009-02-11, 03:14 PM
A 330 No.
This powerful inscription harms those who enter, pass, or open the warded area or object.
A blast glyph deals 1d8 points of damage per two caster levels (maximum 5d8) to the intruder and to all within 5 feet of him or her.
The damage from Glyph of Warding is exclusively dealt to creatures. The warded object and its contents are unaffected.

Morbius
2009-02-11, 04:49 PM
Q331

The magic domain grants a cleric the power to use magic items as a wizard, my question is, the ability used on these items will be inteligence or wisdow? (ie: a 10 int cleric can use level 1 arcane scrolls normally?) And if yes is there RAW for that?

Curmudgeon
2009-02-11, 05:21 PM
A 331

Any requisite ability score can be used for scrolls, either arcane or divine. Once a scroll is scribed, the information about what type of caster created it is gone. So an arcane scroll of Fireball could use either INT (Wizard) or CHA (Sorcerer), and a divine scroll of Invisibility Purge could use either WIS (Cleric) or CHA (Favored Soul). I know of no arcane casting class that uses WIS as their requisite ability for spells, meaning WIS can't be a valid answer for a Cleric using the Magic domain granted power.

EDIT: This goes for other classes casting spells from scrolls, too. A Wizard, who uses INT for their own spells, can treat CHA as their requisite ability score when casting from an arcane scroll (even one they scribed); this could come in handy if the Wizard gets hit with Ray of Stupidity, for example.

Douglas
2009-02-11, 05:22 PM
A331

If a cleric is using the magic domain power to use a magic item, he is using the magic item as a wizard. Wizards use intelligence, therefore so does this cleric. In order to use a scroll of a level 1 wizard spell, the cleric would need at least 11 intelligence.

Edit: Yes, the class of the scroll's creator is "lost" information. This does not mean that the user of the scroll can pick whichever ability score he wants as the "requisite" score. Instead, the relevant ability score is determined by the user's class. A wizard using a scroll of Fireball must have at least 13 intelligence, while a sorcerer using the same scroll must have at least 13 charisma.

Someone using UMD gets to pick a class to attempt to emulate and that choice determines which ability score the character needs. Thus, UMD allows choosing any ability score from those used by valid classes for the scroll.

Curmudgeon
2009-02-11, 05:45 PM
In order to use a scroll of a level 1 wizard spell, the cleric would need at least 11 intelligence. There is no such thing as "a scroll of a level 1 Wizard spell"; there is only a scroll of a level 1 arcane spell which could have been scribed by a Wizard, a Sorcerer, or possibly some other arcane spellcaster. Scrolls are either arcane or divine, and not further tied to the class of the spellcaster who scribed them.
To have any chance of activating a scroll spell, the scroll user must meet the following requirements.
The spell must be of the correct type (arcane or divine). Arcane spellcasters (wizards, sorcerers, and bards) can only use scrolls containing arcane spells, and divine spellcasters (clerics, druids, paladins, and rangers) can only use scrolls containing divine spells. (The type of scroll a character creates is also determined by his or her class.)
The user must have the spell on his or her class list.
The user must have the requisite ability score. The "requisite ability score" isn't fully specified by the type of scroll, and is independent of whether the user has the spell on their class list. A Wizard can choose either INT or CHA as the requisite ability when using any arcane scroll that could have been scribed by either a Wizard or Sorcerer, and a Cleric with the Magic domain can do the same.

Douglas
2009-02-11, 06:34 PM
The user must have the requisite ability score.

"The", not "a". Which ability score is relevant is not fully specified by the scroll, but it is fully specified by the class of the user.

kyoten
2009-02-11, 07:09 PM
Q. 332 How exactly does the XP cost work for spells and item creation? I'm assuming that you can cast any spell / create any item if you enough XP. However, i'm uncertain as to if you are permitted to cast the spell / create the item if doing so would drop your XP enough to cause you to lose a level?

powerdemon
2009-02-11, 07:24 PM
Q. 332 How exactly does the XP cost work for spells and item creation? I'm assuming that you can cast any spell / create any item if you enough XP. However, i'm uncertain as to if you are permitted to cast the spell / create the item if doing so would drop your XP enough to cause you to lose a level?

You can't cast/create it if it would make you lose a level.

Douglas
2009-02-11, 07:26 PM
A332

You cannot spend so much XP that you lose a level, so you cannot cast the spell unless you have enough XP to spare. However, you may, on gaining enough XP to attain a new level, use those XP for casting a spell rather than keeping them and advancing a level. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicOverview/spellDescriptions.htm#xPCostXP)

A character cannot spend so much XP on an item that he or she loses a level. However, upon gaining enough XP to attain a new level, he or she can immediately expend XP on creating an item rather than keeping the XP to advance a level. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/feats.htm#xPCost)

Curmudgeon
2009-02-11, 07:31 PM
"The", not "a". Which ability score is relevant is not fully specified by the scroll, but it is fully specified by the class of the user. The requisite ability isn't the same as their requisite abilty for spellcasting. The scroll user isn't constrained by the rules to use their requisite ability, merely the requisite ability they've chosen from among those suitable for that particular scroll.

You'll need to point to the rules that forbid a Wizard from using CHA as the requisite ability to use a scroll scribed by a Sorcerer, because I can't find them.

Douglas
2009-02-11, 07:55 PM
I can just as easily demand that you point out where it says that a Wizard can use an ability score other than the one requisite for his own casting, because I can't find it.

If you maintain that the wording as written does not restrict the choice of ability score to the one for the user's casting, then please explain how the same wording does restrict the choice to the possibilities for the crafter's casting. The two possible restrictions are given equal mention, so your logic could just as easily lead to concluding that strength can be used for casting from scrolls. The use of the article "the" strongly implies that exactly one ability score is relevant in any given application of the rule, not a choice between two or more, and the user's casting ability is the obvious candidate.

Additionally, it seems nonsensical to me that the introduction of a new class in a splatbook would automatically give a core class an extra option - the simple fact that Favored Souls and Archivists exist has no bearing whatsoever on how clerics use their scrolls.

Thurbane
2009-02-11, 08:30 PM
Q 333

Does Precocious Apprentice really qualify you for PrCs earlier than otherwise possible, or is it just a common misreading of the feat? :smallconfused:

Curmudgeon
2009-02-11, 09:10 PM
please explain how the same wording does restrict the choice to the possibilities for the crafter's casting. It's not restricted for scribing, either, beyond the spell being one the crafter can cast.

The two possible restrictions are given equal mention, so your logic could just as easily lead to concluding that strength can be used for casting from scrolls. Huh? You'd have to point out a spell that has STR as its requisite ability somewhere.

Additionally, it seems nonsensical to me that the introduction of a new class in a splatbook would automatically give a core class an extra option Nonsensical? Happens all the time in D&D. The introduction of the Church Inquisitor class in Complete Divine automatically gave Clerics the option of the Inquisition domain.

What seems nonsensical to me is that an arcane scroll, crafted by a Sorcerer using CHA as the requisite ability for the spell it contains, can't then be used with CHA as the requisite ability by a Wizard.

Our difference is that you're treating "The user must have the requisite ability score" as "The user must have the requisite ability score to cast that spell without the scroll", and I'm treating it as "The user must have the requisite ability score for that spell".

A Sorcerer can't use an arcane scroll containing Rary's Mnemonic Enhancer because that isn't on their spell list. A Wizard using a scroll of Rary's Mnemonic Enhancer is restricted to using INT as their requisite ability, as is a Cleric with the Magic domain, because that's the only requisite ability for the arcane version of RME. (Of course, a Cleric with the Spell domain can also use a divine scroll of Rary's Mnemonic Enhancer -- but would be forced to use WIS as the requisite ability because that's the only option for the divine version of RME.) Similarly, Bard-only and Druid-only spells have just one requisite ability. But most scrolls have a couple of options.

Douglas
2009-02-11, 09:40 PM
It's not restricted for scribing, either, beyond the spell being one the crafter can cast.
Then where does the specification of which ability score to use come from at all?

Huh? You'd have to point out a spell that has STR as its requisite ability somewhere.
Such a request is meaningless - spells do not have requisite ability scores on their own.

Nonsensical? Happens all the time in D&D. The introduction of the Church Inquisitor class in Complete Divine automatically gave Clerics the option of the Inquisition domain.
No, the introduction of the Inquisition domain did that by explicitly adding to the list of domains available for clerics to choose from (provided their deity has it). The Church Inquisitor class has nothing to do with it.

Additional options for clerics are explicitly noted as such or as part of a category that is available to clerics. The Inquisition domain is explicitly part of the category of domains, which is a set of options for clerics. Thus, it became an additional option for clerics to select. The existence of a PrC associated with the domain is irrelevant.

What seems nonsensical to me is that an arcane scroll, crafted by a Sorcerer using CHA as the requisite ability for the spell it contains, can't then be used with CHA as the requisite ability by a Wizard.
So it makes perfect sense to you that a wizard, who has spent his entire life studying how to use magic with careful intellectual practice, can suddenly cast something from a scroll using his force of personality just because people exist who can do so?

Our difference is that you're treating "The user must have the requisite ability score" as "The user must have the requisite ability score to cast that spell without the scroll", and I'm treating it as "The user must have the requisite ability score for that spell".
"The requisite ability score for that spell" does not exist. Spells do not have defined requisite ability scores. Requisite ability score is defined for a spell only in conjunction with a class. The only available source to specify which class to use is the class of the user.

Also, you have not addressed my point that the use of "the" rather than "a" strongly implies that there is no choice involved.

Curmudgeon
2009-02-11, 10:05 PM
A 333

The answer is yes for single-casting entry requirements (such as the Black Flame Zealot), and (almost always) no for Mystic Theurge.
You gain an extra 2nd-level spell slot that must be used initially to cast only the chosen spell.

When you become able to cast 2nd-level spells, you lose the benefit described above but retain the extra 2nd-level spell slot, which you can use to prepare or spontaneously cast a spell of 2nd level or lower as you normally would. Precocious Apprentice gives you one 2nd-level spell, either arcane or divine. When you become able to cast 2nd-level spells in the other class, you lose the benefit of PA. Instead you get a 2nd-level spell slot -- but as you normally would not be able to cast 2nd-level spells, you can no longer cast 2nd-level spells in that first class at all. Examples of how you normally would prepare or spontaneously cast spells:
Like other spellcasters, a cleric can cast only a certain number of spells of each spell level per day. His base daily spell allotment is given on Table: The Cleric.

Like other spellcasters, a sorcerer can cast only a certain number of spells of each spell level per day. His base daily spell allotment is given on Table: The Sorcerer.

Like other spellcasters, a wizard can cast only a certain number of spells of each spell level per day. Her base daily spell allotment is given on Table: The Wizard. The only exception might come in cases where you are normally permitted 0 (rather than "-") spells per day, but do not have a high enough score in that class's casting attribute to get any bonus spells.
When Table: The Ranger indicates that the ranger gets 0 spells per day of a given spell level, he gains only the bonus spells he would be entitled to based on his Wisdom score for that spell level. In this case it's hard to argue that the bonus 2nd-level spell slot provided by Precocious Apprentice wouldn't work. But that's definitely not the case for most spellcasting classes, as "Abilities and Spellcasters" explains:
For instance, the wizard Mialee has an Intelligence score of 15, so she's smart enough to get one bonus 1st-level spell and one bonus 2nd-level spell. (She will not actually get the bonus 2nd-level spell until she is a 3rd-level wizard, since that's the minimum level a wizard must be to cast 2nd-level spells.)

RTGoodman
2009-02-11, 10:07 PM
Guys discussing scrolls and requisite ability scores and such - I think the discussion at hand has gone on long enough to probably warrant just opening a full thread on the topic.

A 333

There are divergent opinions on what the RAW is on Precocious Apprentice and its interaction with PrC prerequisites and stuff. Some say that, since you can only cast ONE of the higher-level spells, that doesn't let you qualify for things that require you to cast "X level spells" (that is, more than one). Others think that's a senseless distinction and that it SHOULD let you qualify. Some are on the fence.

It's a question, I think, best left up to individual DMs to decide.

Fjolnir
2009-02-12, 03:04 AM
Q334 Pardon me if this was already asked but if you are a rogue with the skill mastery special rogue ability are you able to take 10 on bluff check to feint in combat? D&D 3.5

Curmudgeon
2009-02-12, 03:14 AM
A 334 Yes.

Skill Mastery lets a Rogue "take 10" on any skill, in any situation, excepting Use Magic Device (which specifically disallows this). All the other restrictions (trained only; only with other abilities such as the Track feat) still apply for skill use. The Savvy Rogue feat (Complete Scoundrel) will let the Rogue with Skill Mastery instead "take 12" on all their mastered skills.

TempusCCK
2009-02-13, 01:59 PM
Q. 335

Is the Heavy Poleaxe from the Complete Warrior a Martial or Exotic Weapon?

RTGoodman
2009-02-13, 02:11 PM
A 335

The Heavy Poleaxe is an Exotic weapon.

TempusCCK
2009-02-13, 03:11 PM
Q. 336

I'm looking for an enhancement that will turn a weapon from a one handed to a reach, maybe something like "Extending." Does something like this exist?

RTGoodman
2009-02-13, 03:31 PM
A 336

I don't believe one that just gives you reach, but there are a couple of weapon properties in the Magic Item Compendium that could work.

The changeling property (+2000 gp) can be applied to any spear, longspear, or shortspear, and once per round with a command word you can change it between any of the three (so you could change it to a longspear for reach, or a shortspear to lose reach, or whatever you wanted).

The morphing property (+1 bonus) lets you change a melee weapon into any other weapon of the same size (light, one-handed, or two-handed) as a standard action. You could turn your +1 morphing greatsword, for instance, into a +1 morphing guisarme to gain reach.

powerdemon
2009-02-13, 07:26 PM
Q 337

How does a wizard/what is required to make an undead into a spellstiched (Complete Arcane)?

Q 338

Does the extra 2000 GP costs of cold iron weapon enchantments count against every enchantment added, or just once.

q 339

Can you craft a specific weapon/armor. If so what is the price?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2009-02-14, 06:19 AM
A. 337

The ritual is not outlined in detail, but the requirements in gold and xp are listed in the introduction on page 161.

A. 338

As written it is for every enhancement.

A. 339

The listed examples of specific items in the DMG also comes with a price tag and lists any other requirements.

MichielHagen
2009-02-14, 08:27 AM
Q 340
Does Displacer Form (Spell Compendium) and/or Baleful Polymorph (PHB) count as a "Polymorph" spell for Minor Shapeshift (Complete Mage, p45)?

powerdemon
2009-02-14, 11:08 AM
A. 337
A. 339

The listed examples of specific items in the DMG also comes with a price tag and lists any other requirements.

Wow I totally missed that. Thanks Lorac

Douglas
2009-02-14, 11:09 AM
A388 clarification

The extra is assessed every time the item is created or modified. If you make a +3 cold iron weapon, it costs 2000 gp extra. If you make a +1 cold iron weapon, upgrade it to +2, and then upgrade again to +3, it costs 6000 gp extra even though the final result is exactly the same. Market value is calculated assuming the best case scenario of the item being created from scratch all in one go, so purchase and sale prices only include the markup once regardless.

This is not completely clear from just the DMG (which goes a little more in depth than the SRD on this), but is clarified in the FAQ.

Thurbane
2009-02-14, 06:51 PM
Q 340
Does Displacer Form (Spell Compendium) and/or Baleful Polymorph (PHB) count as a "Polymorph" spell for Minor Shapeshift (Complete Mage, p45)?
A 340
Yes, in both cases.

MichielHagen
2009-02-15, 05:32 AM
Q 341

I am a bit confused about the Spellpool of a Mage of the Arcane Order, found on page 49 in Complete Arcana.

As i choose my spells for the day i need to leave spell slots open.

If i decide to leave a 3rd level spell slot open can i also cast 2nd or 1st level spells with that slot??

Can i leave a Specialist Wizard slot open? or would that result in only being able to take Spellpool spells of that school?

Would i be able to cast any Metamagic Spells from the Spellpool?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2009-02-15, 07:26 AM
A. 341

Q 341

As i choose my spells for the day i need to leave spell slots open.

If i decide to leave a 3rd level spell slot open can i also cast 2nd or 1st level spells with that slot??

Yes, a 3rd level slot is an appropriate level for any 1st or 2nd level spells.

Can i leave a Specialist Wizard slot open? or would that result in only being able to take Spellpool spells of that school?

You would need to meet the normal requirements for using such a slot, so yes, it needs to be of that particular school.

Would i be able to cast any Metamagic Spells from the Spellpool?

There is no mentioning of metamagic spells and calling a spell results in it appearing in your mind, which strictly speaking prevents you from altering it.
However, house ruling that you can apply any metamagic feat you have to the called spell does not seem inappropriate IMHO.

Demons_eye
2009-02-15, 10:56 AM
Q 342
(3.5) What book is beads of karma found and what are they listed under karma, beads or beads, karma?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2009-02-15, 11:07 AM
A. 342

It is actually a bead, one type found on a whole strand of beads.

Strand of Prayer Beads in the DMG under wondrous items. (Notice that the pricing is erroneous)

BizzaroStormy
2009-02-15, 03:42 PM
Q 343

When creating a wondrous item, how does the body slot affect the price? In short, would there be any change in price to make a necklace that gives an enhancement bonus to INT rather than the headband?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2009-02-15, 03:54 PM
A. 343

Inappropriate body slots adds a 50 & markup to the cost of the wondrous item.

However in accordance with the MIC you can add common item effects such as enhancement bonuses to existing wondrous items at the normal cost assuming you use the correct body slot. (See MIC page 233-234 for more information)

Elhann
2009-02-15, 04:08 PM
Q344

Gaze attacks (3.5) : Is looking directly at the monster required to suffer the effects of the gaze attack?

The situation is this, to explain:
A ranger is fighting one of the grimlock minions of a medusa. The medusa then comes from hiding, placing herself at 30 feet of the ranger, which passes his save. On his next round, the ranger is fighting the grimlock, but still within 30 feet of the medusa, and with line of effect. He doesn't declare he is averting his eyes from the medusa.

:smallwink:.....................:smalleek:
.....................:smallfurious:

What happens then?
a) The player must take a fortitude save, or turn into stone.
b) The player needs no fortitude save, as he is not looking at the medusa, but the grimlock.
I'm aware of a compromise solution, and consider that the player counts as averting his eyes, but the ranger player refused to consider anything but option b. I just want to know, between options a and b, which one should be used.

:smallwink: medusa
:smalleek: ranger
:smallfurious: grimlock

Thanks.

BizzaroStormy
2009-02-15, 04:12 PM
Discuss 343
First, I lack the MIC.

Second, I'm basically looking for a way to have a _______ of INT +4 that grants the skill points when I level.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2009-02-15, 04:21 PM
A. 344

If the player is not averting his eyes (granting the Medusa concealment) the first thing the Ranger needs to do on his initiative is a to roll a save against the gaze effect.

powerdemon
2009-02-15, 04:23 PM
Discuss 343
First, I lack the MIC.

Second, I'm basically looking for a way to have a _______ of INT +4 that grants the skill points when I level.

Only permanently boosted intelligence grants skill points. Items that grant INT NEVER grant extra skill points.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2009-02-15, 04:24 PM
Discuss 343
First, I lack the MIC.

A. 343 Continued

First of all several enhancement bonuses to the same ability do not stack. Only the greater applies. You need different kind of bonuses to have them stack.

Secondly, non-permanent bonuses to intelligence do not grant additional skill points when gaining a new level.

Weezer
2009-02-15, 07:46 PM
Q 345

If someone without Improved Unarmed Attack initiates a maneuver that deals additional damage as part of an unarmed attack, is the damage from the maneuver lethal or non-lethal?

monty
2009-02-15, 11:50 PM
A 343 note

Although most bonuses do not grant extra skill points, the inherent bonus from a Tome of Clear Thought will give more points, assuming it increases your Int modifier. However, virtually all other types of bonuses will not count.

BRC
2009-02-16, 12:00 AM
Q 346 Can Ghost's wear armor, by which I mean does that armor do anything, or do they only get their deflection modifier to AC?

KillianHawkeye
2009-02-16, 12:05 AM
A 346

If the ghost's armor is entirely ethereal, then it doesn't help them against attacks from a corporeal source. It would, however, help them against foes on the ethereal plane.

That being said, a ghost will probably only be wearing armor if the creature died wearing the armor (and the armor is still with the ghost's remains), or if it happens to find some armor on the ethereal plane and puts it on. In either of these cases, the armor is entirely ethereal when the ghost manifests. The ghost could also put on a suit of ghost touch armor, which would operate normally against attacks from both the material and ethereal planes.

It wouldn't affect the ghost's deflection bonus to AC either way.

kyoten
2009-02-16, 12:05 AM
Q. 347 How exactly do Far Shot and the Distance enhancement stack?

KillianHawkeye
2009-02-16, 12:17 AM
A 347

A weapon of distance has double the range increment of other weapons of its kind.

When you use a projectile weapon, such as a bow, its range increment increases by one-half (multiply by 1½). When you use a thrown weapon, its range increment is doubled.

So, a Longbow of Distance has twice the range increment of other longbows. When somebody with the Far Shot feat uses it, he increases the (already doubled) range increment by 50%, resulting in a range increment 3x as long as a typical longbow (or double what someone with Far Shot can do with a typical longbow).

monty
2009-02-16, 12:24 AM
A 347

In general, abstract numbers, like damage, use the D&D multiplier rules (two doublings are a tripling, and so on), while real numbers, like distance, use normal math. So in this case, 2x1.5=3 times the base amount.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2009-02-16, 12:48 AM
A. 345

Untyped additional damage is usually of the same type as that of the original attack, so in most cases it would be non-lethal.

Magnor Criol
2009-02-16, 04:09 PM
Q 348

Are there rules on restrictions for flight (what sort of armor you can wear, the load you can carry, etc.)? If so, where can I find them?

I seem to remember seeing some rules at some point in time, but after some scouring I can't seem to pick them out.

RTGoodman
2009-02-16, 04:19 PM
A 348

The general rules for flying can be found HERE (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#fly) in the SRD, and the only restriction is that you can be carrying no more than a light load.

However, some other SPECIFIC instances of flying abilities (I believe some examples would be from the Dragon Wings feat in Draconomicon and probably the Raptoran race in Races of the Wild) impose their own restrictions on flight. In general, you should check your specific source to be sure.

josh13905
2009-02-17, 08:16 AM

Earlier i asked if you can have you could have frost fire and shocking on one weapon i would like to be more specific:

I understand you can add them to a weapon but can you use them all at once and give fire shock and frost damage with a weapon in one blow with them?

Also in 3.5 Tome of Battle can one use a manuever or stance while in a rage?

Curmudgeon
2009-02-17, 08:30 AM
A 349

The answer is yes to both your (unrelated) questions. In the future it would make answering easier if you gave separate numbers to such queries.

monty
2009-02-17, 10:10 AM
A 349b continued

There are some maneuvers that require Concentration checks. Since you cannot use the Concentration skill while raging, you would be unable to benefit from these maneuvers.

Adumbration
2009-02-19, 04:40 AM
Q. 350

This question concerns the spell Giant's Wrath from Spell Compedium, page 105-106. The spell imbues three pebbles with magic, allowing you to throw one as an attack action. Can you hurl several, if your base attack bonus is great enough?

Curmudgeon
2009-02-19, 06:46 AM
A 350 No.

While the term "attack action" isn't actually defined in the D&D game, it can only be one of the following:
standard action attack
full attack
attack of opportunity
bonus attack (such as provided by Improved Trip)
What "attack action" isn't is an "attack", which is a defined term, and what you seem to be thinking of.
attack

Any of numerous actions intended to harm, disable, or neutralize an opponent. The outcome of an attack is determined by an attack roll. As an "attack action" is specifically called for in Giant's Wrath, you must use one of the four possibilities I've listed to hurl one pebble. And because Giant's Wrath doesn't grant a bonus attack, and you can't threaten with it because it isn't a touch attack spell, that leaves only a standard action attack and a full attack as your options. An "attack" could allow multiple pebbles to be thrown as part of a full attack action. An "attack action" that specifically limits you to hurling one pebble cannot.

TempusCCK
2009-02-19, 07:53 PM
Q 351 What is the price on the cloak from the Magic Item Compendium that holds a single weapon extradimensionally.

Q 352What would be the price for a Morphing Greatsword, from the same book?

JeminiZero
2009-02-20, 06:44 AM
Q. 353

Bardic Inspire Courage states that it applies to weapon damage rolls. Does it then apply to spell-like weapons such as Eldritch Blast?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2009-02-20, 06:59 AM
A. 353

No, despite the similarities weapon-like spells are not weapons for this purpose.

MichielHagen
2009-02-20, 07:27 AM
Q353

Would the effect of "Luminous Armor" (BoED) continue to be effective when i polymorph into something that doesn't generally wear armor? Like say....a Lammasu? And how about Mage Armor?

MeklorIlavator
2009-02-20, 07:33 AM
A353
Yes, it would, as the duration of the spell has not expired nor is there any mention of having to normally wear armor for the spell to function in the spell description.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2009-02-20, 07:35 AM
A. 354

Yes, spells remain effective even after you polymorph.
Generally there is nothing preventing spellcasters in a shape that cannot wear armor from casting mage armor.

powerdemon
2009-02-20, 07:39 AM
Q 355

What are the stacking rules for armor bonus?

Do bracers of armor stack with physical armor?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2009-02-20, 07:47 AM
A. 355

No, except for a few exceptions bonuses with the same name do not stack.

Both armor and bracers of armor provide an armor bonus, so they overlap.

Eloel
2009-02-20, 09:35 AM
A. 355

No, except for a few exceptions bonuses with the same name do not stack.

Both armor and bracers of armor provide an armor bonus, so they overlap.

Q355 continued.
Would a +4 Chainmail, used along with +8 Bracers of Armor give +12 Armor, since the +4 is an enchantment bonus, and +8 is an armor bonus?

Douglas
2009-02-20, 09:43 AM
Q355 continued.
Would a +4 Chainmail, used along with +8 Bracers of Armor give +12 Armor, since the +4 is an enchantment bonus, and +8 is an armor bonus?
No. The +4 is an enhancement bonus to the chainmail's armor bonus specifically. The result is a +9 armor bonus from the chainmail and +8 armor bonus from the bracers, for a non stacking total of +9.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2009-02-20, 09:44 AM
A. 355

Q355 continued.

The enhancement bonus applies to the armor and not to you, just as an enhancement bonus on your sword does not make you better at attacking with your fists.

Myrmex
2009-02-20, 01:44 PM
Q.336
Does Shadow Phase (SpC) only affect spells, Sp, and Su that require an attack roll to hit the creature under its effect?

Ie, a scorching ray has a 20% chance of missing, while a dragon's breath has no chance of "missing".

sonofzeal
2009-02-20, 02:04 PM
Q337
Is there any RAW way to temporarily reduce the size of a construct, short of a custom psi item of Compression?

Alleine
2009-02-20, 02:10 PM
A 336

No, all attacks made against an incorporeal creature suffer a miss chance unless they explicitly state otherwise. This includes AoE magical attacks as well.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2009-02-20, 02:11 PM
A. 356

Q.336
Does Shadow Phase (SpC) only affect spells, Sp, and Su that require an attack roll to hit the creature under its effect?

Ie, a scorching ray has a 20% chance of missing, while a dragon's breath has no chance of "missing".

A Dragon's breath is also a kind of attack and thus also suffers the miss chance.

Myrmex
2009-02-20, 03:01 PM
A. 356

A Dragon's breath is also a kind of attack and thus also suffers the miss chance.

I thought an attack involved an attack roll.
What about feeblemind, auras, dispel magic or a hexblade's curse?
What, exactly, defines an "attack" in this case?

Is there just a universal 20% failure chance vs. everything?

sonofzeal
2009-02-20, 03:10 PM

If it's incorporeality....

100% miss chance for nonmagical weapons, or spells that require a corporeal target (implosion) or create a corporeal effect (web)
50% miss chance for magical weapons or damaging spells (fireball)
0% miss chance for nondamaging spells

Trouvere
2009-02-20, 03:13 PM
Q. 357
What are the limits of disguise self, obtained with a Hat of Disguise, if it makes a difference?
Specifically, what restrictions are imposed by "You cannot change your body type"? Can you appear to be of the opposite sex, superficially? While unclothed ("add or obscure a minor feature" - ahem)? Can you appear to be of a different largely similar race, within the 1 foot height change limit (I assume adding raptoran wings is a step too far), e.g. 4'4 tallfellow halfling to 5'3 human?
Since "clothing, armor, weapons, and equipment" look different, could you - bearing in mind potential giveaways of incorrect hand placement - make your longspear look like a spear without reach, or your pair of daggers look like you're holding a spiked chain, and so on?

sonofzeal
2009-02-20, 03:25 PM
Q. 357
What are the limits of disguise self, obtained with a Hat of Disguise, if it makes a difference?
Specifically, what restrictions are imposed by "You cannot change your body type"? Can you appear to be of the opposite sex, superficially? While unclothed ("add or obscure a minor feature" - ahem)? Can you appear to be of a different largely similar race, within the 1 foot height change limit (I assume adding raptoran wings is a step too far), e.g. 4'4 tallfellow halfling to 5'3 human?
Since "clothing, armor, weapons, and equipment" look different, could you - bearing in mind potential giveaways of incorrect hand placement - make your longspear look like a spear without reach, or your pair of daggers look like you're holding a spiked chain, and so on?
A 357
WYSIWYG. There's no clarifying text anywhere that I know of, although it may have been addressed in some FAQ somewhere. The way my groups have played, you can change your gender, race, and basic appearance within those, but only to things that are generally similar. A human female could disguise as an elven male (assuming heights line up closely enough), but couldn't disguise as a Troglodyte (because of the tail and scales) even though their type lines up. Basically, the PHB races are close enough to disguise (though a Dwarf would make for a really short Orc), but anything at all exotic is out. A Troglodyte could disguise as a Lizardfolk though.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2009-02-20, 03:32 PM
A. 356 Continued

Any spell or effect that targets the creature qualifies as an attack, even if the spell or effect deals no damage.

Thurbane
2009-02-20, 06:18 PM
Q 358

Would a Bard 1/Wizard 4/Urban Savant 4, with the Battle Caster and Armor Proficiency (Medium) feats, be able to cast both Bard and Wizard spells in medium armor (say, mithril full plate) with no Arcane Spell Failure chance? The relevant query here is: would the Urban Savant (Ci) class ability to cast in light armor with no ASF "stack" with the Battle Caster (CAr) feat, and if so, would it apply to both Bard and Wizard arcane spells...

lsfreak
2009-02-20, 10:22 PM
Q359
A diagonal 5-foot step ("7.5 feet") is still considered a 5-foot step provided you're not trying to go around a corner, right?

JeenLeen
2009-02-20, 10:39 PM
Q360
For 3.5. I am having my players design a team of level 9 characters. I have the wealth by level table from the DMG. My question is: is this the amount of gold they have to spend, or is this the selling value of their items? For example, if it says (to make up a number) lv. 9 have 10000 gp in wealth, is that 10000 of stuff or 20000 of stuff (selling for 10000 and thus 10000 wealth)?

powerdemon
2009-02-20, 10:57 PM
Q359
A diagonal 5-foot step ("7.5 feet") is still considered a 5-foot step provided you're not trying to go around a corner, right?

Yes it is ok.

powerdemon
2009-02-20, 10:58 PM
Q360
For 3.5. I am having my players design a team of level 9 characters. I have the wealth by level table from the DMG. My question is: is this the amount of gold they have to spend, or is this the selling value of their items? For example, if it says (to make up a number) lv. 9 have 10000 gp in wealth, is that 10000 of stuff or 20000 of stuff (selling for 10000 and thus 10000 wealth)?

Buying gold. How much they have to spend.

sonofzeal
2009-02-21, 03:09 AM
Q359
Yes. In general, the first diagonal movement of a turn counts at 5 feet even though you're moving 7.5; the second and all other even diagonal movements each count at 10 feet.

Q337 Repost
Is there any RAW way to temporarily reduce the size of a construct (Iron Defender), short of a custom psi item of Compression?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2009-02-21, 05:11 AM
Q337 Repost
Is there any RAW way to temporarily reduce the size of a construct (Iron Defender), short of a custom psi item of Compression?

Not that I can think of assuming it should remain as a construct and not be polymorphed into something different.

Ossian
2009-02-21, 06:18 AM
Q. 361

What is that feat that allows you to consider a Cross Class skill always as a Class Skill? I must have read it in one of the slpatbooks but now I just can't find it.

I also don't recall if it was limited to a skill, a category of skills or simply to whichever skill you fancied.

Cheers.

O.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2009-02-21, 06:43 AM
A. 361 perhaps

Able Learner from Races of Destiny lets you buy skill ranks in cross class skills for 1 skill point, but the limitation on maximum ranks still apply. Only available to humans and dopplegangers.

Doug Lampert
2009-02-21, 11:30 AM
Buying gold. How much they have to spend.

A.360 (continued) Note that by the rules for starting at higher level the characters CAN spend some of their starting XP on magic item creation if they have the right feats and thus get the amount of gear up.

Myou
2009-02-21, 05:02 PM
Q. 362 Can you sneak attack while raging?

Q. 363 Which of the columns in which of the tables in the DMG give the total wealth by level? I'm finding it very confusing since none seem to have that label.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2009-02-21, 05:11 PM
A. 362

Yes.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2009-02-21, 05:14 PM
A. 363

Table 5-1, page 135 IIRC.

powerdemon
2009-02-21, 05:28 PM
A. 363

Table 5-1, page 135 IIRC.

Confirmed correct.

Myou
2009-02-21, 05:31 PM
Ahhh, many thanks!

And why on Earth is it there?! I'd never have found it on page 135, everything else about treasure and wealth is almost 100 pages away! ><

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2009-02-21, 05:33 PM
Ahhh, many thanks!

And why on Earth is it there?! I'd never have found it on page 135, everything else about treasure and wealth is almost 100 pages away! ><

You should read it cover to cover.:smallamused:

monty
2009-02-21, 05:49 PM

Wait, you mean there are people who haven't memorized it?

Myou
2009-02-21, 06:01 PM

I have, but I'm still working on that photographic memory. xD

Wckd
2009-02-21, 07:10 PM
Q 364
[3.5] Is it possible without using the gestalt option from UA to get into the Arcane Trickster PrC at lvl 6?

Douglas
2009-02-21, 07:16 PM
Ahhh, many thanks!

I'm not sure why they thought "Campaign Issues" was the best place to put it, but there is a perfectly logical chain of references that lead to it. Go to the table of contents and look through the chapter titles for "Characters". Look through the section headings and notice "Creating PCs above 1st Level". Go there and notice step 5, "Equip the character", and read it. Notice the reference to "Table 5-1: Character Wealth By Level (page 135)". Voila.

Alternatively, check the index for "character wealth" or look through the list of numbered tables in the back.

powerdemon
2009-02-21, 07:21 PM
Q 364
[3.5] Is it possible without using the gestalt option from UA to get into the Arcane Trickster PrC at lvl 6?

Only if you have the ability to cast an arcane spell of 3rd level from somewhere besides class levels.

DrakebloodIV
2009-02-22, 02:08 AM
Q 365 - How does vision work on a perfectly flat plane? (That is to say, what is maximum vision in D&D?)

MeklorIlavator
2009-02-22, 02:12 AM
Q 364
Yes, assuming that your Dm allows you to use dual progression classes like the Mystic Theruge or Arcane Trickster.

Frosty
2009-02-22, 03:25 AM
Q 366

Does the Bard countersong ability require any sort of action to maintain after you've started it with a standard action?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2009-02-22, 03:34 AM
A. 364

The earliest access to 3rd level spells is gained at 5th level, so it is not possible to gain access to a prestige class with this requirement before 6th level.

You cannot meet the prerequisite by gaining access to spells through spell-like abilities or using invocations. (Only specific spell requirements can be met in this fashion)

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2009-02-22, 03:36 AM
A. 365

The skill description gives modifiers for distance, so technically there is no maximum.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2009-02-22, 03:46 AM
A. 366

The text is not as clear as it could be. here is the relevant rules:

Starting a bardic music effect is a standard action. Some bardic music abilities require concentration, which means the bard must take a standard action each round to maintain the ability. Even while using bardic music that doesn’t require concentration, a bard cannot cast spells, activate magic items by spell completion (such as scrolls), or activate magic items by magic word (such as wands). Just as for casting a spell with a verbal component, a deaf bard has a 20% chance to fail when attempting to use bardic music. If he fails, the attempt still counts against his daily limit.

Countersong (Su): A bard with 3 or more ranks in a Perform skill can use his music or poetics to counter magical effects that depend on sound (but not spells that simply have verbal components). Each round of the countersong, he makes a Perform check.

Countersong does not specifically call for concentration, but you must continue to make perform checks and you cannot cannot cast spells, activate magic items by spell completion, or activate magic items by magic word.

Eloel
2009-02-22, 04:59 AM
A. 364

The earliest access to 3rd level spells is gained at 5th level, so it is not possible to gain access to a prestige class with this requirement before 6th level.

You cannot meet the prerequisite by gaining access to spells through spell-like abilities or using invocations. (Only specific spell requirements can be met in this fashion)

And Arcane Trickster's spell is pretty 'specific'. Mage Hand and one other Arcane spell of 3rd level.
ONE other...

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2009-02-22, 05:41 AM
And Arcane Trickster's spell is pretty 'specific'. Mage Hand and one other Arcane spell of 3rd level.
ONE other...

Mage hand is, the 3rd level arcane spell is not. One non-specific spell is all it takes to break the camel's back....

Mind you, this is Sparta RAW, not necessarily the most reasonable approach.

Bulwer
2009-02-22, 08:35 AM
Q 367

Are there any [Draconic] feats not in RoD, Dragon Magic, or Complete Arcane?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2009-02-22, 08:41 AM
A. 367

I do not think so.

Douglas
2009-02-22, 11:11 AM
A364

Some combination of Precocious Apprentice and Sanctum Spell or Earth Spell might allow you to technically satisfy the "one 3rd level spell" prerequisite with only one level of Wizard or Sorcerer. Add three levels of Rogue for Sneak Attack and skills, and you could actually satisfy the prerequisites with a 4th level character, allowing you to enter the class at level 5.

Eloel
2009-02-22, 12:08 PM
Q 367

Are there any [Draconic] feats not in RoD, Dragon Magic, or Complete Arcane?

I'm not sure but check Draconomicon.

powerdemon
2009-02-22, 01:03 PM
Q 368

What companions (familiars, animal companions, mounts, etc), if any, get skill points and feats when they gain HD?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2009-02-22, 01:12 PM
A. 368

All of them. :smallamused:

However, familiars do not gain HD through the master's advancement.

Mounts from class abilities and animal companions typically get bonus HD that usually provide feats and skill points.

powerdemon
2009-02-22, 01:27 PM
A. 368

All of them. :smallamused:

However, familiars do not gain HD through the master's advancement.

Mounts from class abilities and animal companions typically get bonus HD that usually provide feats and skill points.

Thanks. I could have sworn someone told me that companions don't get feats. :smallwink:

powerdemon
2009-02-22, 01:58 PM
Q 369

The MM is confusing me. How do you calculate HP for a Lycanthrope?

Q 370

How do lycanthropes handle armor? Does the armor break when they shapechange or does it just disappear? I notice the MM entries don't show armor on the hybrid or animal forms so I assume armor doesn't work for them.

And would the Wild armor enchantment allow their armor to be used in hybrid and/or animal form.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2009-02-22, 03:02 PM
Q 369

The MM is confusing me. How do you calculate HP for a Lycanthrope?

It is not that bad really

Hit Dice and Hit Points: Same as the base creature plus those of the base animal. To calculate total hit points, apply Constitution modifiers according to the score the lycanthrope has in each form.

Q 370

How do lycanthropes handle armor? Does the armor break when they shapechange or does it just disappear? I notice the MM entries don't show armor on the hybrid or animal forms so I assume armor doesn't work for them.

And would the Wild armor enchantment allow their armor to be used in hybrid and/or animal form.

It does not break, it simply falls to the ground if the new shape cannot wear it.

Any gear worn or carried by the creature that can’t be worn or carried in its new form instead falls to the ground in its space.

Technically Wild armor only helps in Wildshape.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2009-02-22, 03:18 PM
I know that's what the MM says, but I don't understand it. I've read it over a couple times and it just isn't clicking...

Level 2 fighter (base 14 con) wereboar (+6 con, 20 con total in animal form).

2d10 + (2x2=4) from the fighter part.
3d8 + (3x5=15) from the boar part.

I hope that helps.

powerdemon
2009-02-22, 03:22 PM
It does, thank you.

Thurbane
2009-02-23, 01:29 AM
Q 371

I need this one answered quickly (for tonight's session) if possible please - can Baleful Polymorph be undone with a simple Dispel Magic, or does it require Break enchantment? (I will need sources, thanks).

Q 371B & C

Not urgent, just curious: could a Druid affected by a Baleful Polymorph wild shape back to his natural form? Also, if here were polymorphed into a toad (against his will), could he cast spells if he had the Natural Spell feat?

Alleine
2009-02-23, 01:40 AM
A 371

Dispel Magic can dispel anything that isn't instantaneous, and baleful polymorph has nothing specific against dispel magic. It also references the possibility of the creature being returned to its original form.

Note: The effect of a spell with an instantaneous duration can’t be dispelled, because the magical effect is already over before the dispel magic can take effect.

Break Enchantment can as well...

This spell frees victims from enchantments, transmutations, and curses

A 371 B&C

No on both accounts. Creatures affected by baleful polymorph lose all special abilities of its normal form, including class features unless they are of the shapechanger subtype.

RTGoodman
2009-02-23, 01:43 AM
A 371

The duration of baleful polymorph is "Permanent." According to the SRD, permanent-duration spells are "vulnerable to dispel magic (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicOverview/spellDescriptions.htm#duration)."

A 371 B

No. Baleful polymorph says "The target loses all the special abilities it has in its normal form, including its class features." So, no Wild Shape for baleful polymorphed Druids.

A 371 C

No. Natural Spell specifies that you can "complete the verbal and somatic components of spells while in a wild shape."

Thurbane
2009-02-23, 01:56 AM
Thanks very much guys. Looks like we'll be using up some Dispel Magic's to get our Beguiler back to his Goblin (formerly Elf, before the Reincarnation) self tonight. :smallsmile:

Gorbash
2009-02-23, 08:36 AM
Q 372

When a creature acquires a templae, does it lose the benefits of the previous race? Say, a Human gains a Half-Celestial template, does he lose bonus feat and skill points?

Q 373

Continued. Half-Celestial says that base creature gains bonus skill points for its racial HD, but it is never stated if it has any. Does it mean that Half-Celestial gains bonus skill points only if the base creature had racial HD or what?

ericgrau
2009-02-23, 08:54 AM
Q 372

When a creature acquires a templae, does it lose the benefits of the previous race? Say, a Human gains a Half-Celestial template, does he lose bonus feat and skill points?

Q 373

Continued. Half-Celestial says that base creature gains bonus skill points for its racial HD, but it is never stated if it has any. Does it mean that Half-Celestial gains bonus skill points only if the base creature had racial HD or what?

A 372 & 373
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/improvingMonsters.htm#templates

A 372
No, all templates add their abilities onto the base creature's unless it says that an ability is replaced. But half-celestial is an inherited template so usually he should have had the template before gaining any levels anyway. Unless your DM made up some special case.

A 373
The half-celestial template may be applied to creatures with racial hit dice. Those hit dice get converted to outsider (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/typesSubtypes.htm#outsiderType) hit dice, so the creature's racial skill points, BAB, HP and saves change accordingly. Like the template says, this has no effect on class levels, so all this is irrelevant to a race with no racial HD, like a human.

powerdemon
2009-02-23, 03:57 PM
Q 374

I'm looking at the MMII and it mentions Superior Two-weapon fighting, and Superior Multiweapon Fighting. Where can these feats be found?

RTGoodman
2009-02-23, 05:17 PM
A 374

IIRC, those feats were part of the original two-weapon fighting feats in the 3rd Edition rules, under which MMII was written. For more info on them, you'd have to check out the 3rd Edition (NOT 3.5 Edition) Player's Handbook and/or Monster Manual.

In the update to 3.5, though, the two-weapon fighting feat chain was simplified and thus many TWF feats disappeared. You can find the updated feats of monsters with those you mentioned in the Monster Manual 2 Update Booklet, which should be easily found via Google.

powerdemon
2009-02-23, 05:26 PM
Thanks

Q 375

Is there a list somewhere of how to make a Thri-kreen player character. The MMII just says it starts with 2d8 HD but then right after that says the LA of +3 makes a Fighter 1 a ECL 4.

Ug. Mah head....

EDIT/UPDATE: I just found it in the Expanded Psionic Handbook. :smallbiggrin:

powerdemon
2009-02-23, 09:59 PM
q 376

When a wizard takes levels in a prestige class, and that prestige class has spell progression such as "+1 level of existing spell casting class", do they still get two more spells known on level up?

Curmudgeon
2009-02-24, 02:33 AM
A 376

Not unless the prestige class description specifically states so. The "+1 level of existing spell casting class" is AFAIK always under "Spells per Day" in the class table, so there is no Spells per Level benefit.

Divinech
2009-02-24, 04:27 AM
D&D 3.5

Q377
Does the feat "Intuitive Attack" (BoED 44) apply to melee touch attacks, for example in conjunction with an Inflict Moderate Wounds spell?

Q378
Can the feat "Augment Healing" (CD 79) be applied to a scroll, which is scribed by my character?
I think not, because it isn't a metamagic feat.

squishycube
2009-02-24, 06:51 AM
A377
No, the first sentence of the feat description says it applies only to simple and natural weapons, ie. daggers, crossbows, claws and things like that.

A378
Page 88 of the PHB explicitly says it is possible to create magic items imbued with metamagicked versions of spells. Extrapolating from there I'd say other feats should state this too and Augment Healing doesn't. So no. On the other hand I would say it is not unreasonable, balance wise.

Wckd
2009-02-24, 07:05 AM
Thanks for all the answers and helpful comments for question 364!
I am however looking at the task from a mage perspective instead of a rogue perspective. (I am not fond of loosing caster lvls) so as of now I have these options:

1) Ask my DM to change the sneak attack requirement of the Arcane Trickster PrC to 1d6 and go Wizard 4, Spellthief(or rogue) 1.

2) Find a way to get an extra 1d6 sneak attack without losing a spellcasting lvl.

3) Lose 2 spellcasting levels and a feat by choosing:
Wizard 3, Spellthief 1, Rogue 1 + Sanctum Spell feat.

4) Drop the idea of getting Arcane Trickster at lvl 6 without losing 2-3 lvls of spellcasting.

So, as a follow up question to Q 364:

Q 379:
Is it possible to achieve 2d6 sneak attack at lvl 5 with only one class level that provides sneak attack?

Curmudgeon
2009-02-24, 10:06 AM
A 379 Yes.

You can attain 2d6 sneak attack with zero class levels via the Tome of Battle feats Martial Study (Cloak of Deception or other 1st level Shadow Hand maneuver) and Martial Stance (Assassin's Stance). Stances remain in effect indefinitely and are not expended, so once you initiate the stance you'll satisfy the sneak attack requirement of the PrC. So take one level of Rogue to meet your requirement and get most of the skill ranks required by Arcane Trickster, then these two feats; you'll have 3d6 sneak attack.

JeminiZero
2009-02-24, 10:45 AM
A 379 clarification

Assassin stance is a 3rd level stance, so you need initiator level 5 to get it. Without any levels in Martial adept classes, the earliest you can qualify for it is level 10 (as non martial-adept levels still count as half towards initiator levels). Or you could pick it up with a single swordsage splash on level 9 (Initiator level = 8 other classes/2 + 1 swordsage = 5).

So it will work as described, with zero class levels, just not by level 5.

Douglas
2009-02-24, 11:37 AM
A 379 clarification

Assassin stance is a 3rd level stance, so you need initiator level 5 to get it. Without any levels in Martial adept classes, the earliest you can qualify for it is level 10 (as non martial-adept levels still count as half towards initiator levels). Or you could pick it up with a single swordsage splash on level 9 (Initiator level = 8 other classes/2 + 1 swordsage = 5).

So it will work as described, with zero class levels, just not by level 5.
Not quite. The first stance a Swordsage (or Warblade, or Crusader) gets is always 1st level regardless of initiator level. You would need a 2 level dip in Swordsage to get Assassin's Stance without spending a feat.

kyoten
2009-02-24, 03:36 PM
Q. 380

I've been wondering can a familiar/companion/awakened animal speak common?

Wckd
2009-02-24, 04:56 PM
A. 380
For most of them the answer is no, but there are exceptions such as a Raven Familiar. A raven familiar can speak one language(of the player's choice) as a supernatural ability. If it has any interresting or intelligent things to say is another matter!

powerdemon
2009-02-24, 04:58 PM
A. 380

The raven familiar can speak one language of your choice, but the others can't speak common. Once you reach appropriate level, they can speak with their master but no one can understand without magical assistance.

Animal companions can't speak since they are just animals unless the normal animal can speak.

And from the SRD:

An awakened tree or animal can speak one language that you know, plus one additional language that you know per point of Intelligence bonus (if any).

Nazde Bahatur
2009-02-24, 05:25 PM
Q. 381
I am not sure how Warblade's "Weapon Aptitude" (ToB) works.
Says there you can 1 hour in weapon practice to change the designated weapon for any feat you have that applies only to a specific weapon.
Do you have to spend 1 hour for every individual feat, or 1 hour for any number of feats?

Douglas
2009-02-24, 05:50 PM
A381

You can change any number of feats with a single hour of practice total.

Nazde Bahatur
2009-02-24, 06:34 PM
Thanks, mate!

Nazde Bahatur
2009-02-24, 07:30 PM
Thanks, mate!

BizzaroStormy
2009-02-24, 08:34 PM
Q382

Is there a way to increase the DC for an assassin's death attack other than increasing you INT modifier or class level?

Douglas
2009-02-24, 08:50 PM
A382

Ability Focus (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsterFeats.htm#abilityFocus). There might be an item or feat or two somewhere that increase it specifically too, but I don't know of any offhand.

RTGoodman
2009-02-24, 11:53 PM
A 382 Continued

The assassin's dagger (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicWeapons.htm#assassinsDagger) (DMG/SRD) gives you a +1 bonus to your death attack DC.

Rubicon
2009-02-25, 05:46 AM
Q 383

D&D 3.5

How does the Elemental Specialty ability of the Elemental Savant interact with the Mastery of Elements ability of the Archmage?

Assuming a character build of Sorcerer 6/ Elemental Savant (Cold) 10/ Archmage 4.

A: Could the character use Mastery of Elements to modify a fireball back to fire damage from the character's default energy type (cold)?

B: Would an orb of sound continue to do sonic damage? I ask as neither the Elemental Specialty ability or the Energy Substitution feat permit a spell to be converted to the sonic type, yet modify any spell that deals energy damage.

When the savant casts a spell that normally deals energy damage, its energy descriptor changes to the savant's chosen energy type.

C: Prior to gaining the Elemental Specialty extraordinary ability, the Sorcerer needs to take (at least) a full round action to cast spells altered with the Energy Substitution metamagic feat. Does the Elemental Specialty ability negate the requirement of extra casting time for spells modified in this way?

Gorbash
2009-02-25, 06:37 AM
Q 384

Why do Monkey Grip and Powerful Build don't stack?

Q 385

What exactly is the problem of Monkey Grip? Everyone is saying that it's not working as most people think, yet I fail to see how...

RTGoodman
2009-02-25, 09:08 AM
A 384

Both specifically say, IIRC, that you can use a weapon one size larger than YOU ACTUALLY ARE. Thus, you have the ability (if you're Medium) to wield a Large weapon with no penalty (via Powerful Build), as well the ability to wield a Large weapon with a -2 penalty (via Monkey Grip).

A 385

Not technically a RAW question, but I'll give a brief answer. First, it never changes the "handedness" of a weapon. There's a LOT of confusion out there about weapon size rules because of the 3.0/3.5 switch, and a lot of people think it'll let you change stuff like that. In 3.0, it might have, but now it definitely doesn't.

Also, it's pretty suboptimal. Without going into the math, you get a higher amount of damage by just taking Power Attack and subtracting 2 from your attack roll than you would from just using Monkey Grip and being forced to take the attack penalty. With PA, you'd get +2 to +4 (or more) extra damage for that -2, and you could change how much of your attack bonus to sacrifice; with MG, though, you're stuck at the -2 attack, and you're usually only getting a point or two of extra damage. If you're already Large or Huge, Monkey Grip is considerably better, but if not, PA is (mathematically speaking) usually better. Just Google "Monkey Grip + Power Attack + site:giantitp.com" for probably a bajillion results.

Bierhoff
2009-02-25, 01:20 PM
q 386

are there any feats that allow rogue levels to stack with ranger or bard levels (like the ascetic series feats for monks)?

KillianHawkeye
2009-02-25, 03:13 PM
A 386 No.

The only sources for those types of feats are Complete Adventurer and Complete Scoundrel (unless there were some in Dragon Magazine). The available combinations are:

C.Ad
Monk + Ranger
Monk + Paladin
Monk + Sorcerer
Monk + Rogue
Paladin + Rogue
Paladin + Bard
Paladin + Ranger

C.Sc
Monk + Ninja
Swashbuckler + Rogue
Swashbuckler + Fighter
Fighter + Ninja
Scout + Rogue
Scout + Ranger

powerdemon
2009-02-25, 04:42 PM
Q 387

Are there any other playable races besides Thri-Kreen that have 4 or more arms?

Alleine
2009-02-25, 06:57 PM
A 387

There is the Diopsid from dragon compendium. And the chitine from Underdark.

Thurbane
2009-02-25, 07:53 PM
Q 389

Are there any magic items that provide a continual boost to Caster Level, in particular, for arcane spells? I know there are plenty of feats, class abilities and racial abilities that do this, but I'm specifically looking for a magic item.

RTGoodman
2009-02-25, 09:25 PM
A 389

The orange prism ioun stone (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#iounStones) gives you a flat +1 CL for 30,000 gp. That's the most common one, but there're probably more in Magic Item Compendium.

TempusCCK
2009-02-25, 09:28 PM
Q 390 Is a person struck by Enervation lose hit die along with all the other effects of negative levels?

monty
2009-02-25, 09:30 PM
A 390

The effects of negative levels are summarized here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/conditionSummary.htm#energyDrained). Enervation has no other effects.

lsfreak
2009-02-25, 10:02 PM
A389 Continued
From Magic Item Compendium (many of these have other effects as well):
- Arcanist's Gloves (charge grants +2 to 1st-level only, but only 500gp)
- Boots of Big Stepping (+2 to teleportation only, 6000gp)
- Ring of Arcane Might (+1 to all spells, 20000gp)
- Ring of Mystic Fire/Healing/Lighting (+1 for any spell with the descriptor matching ring, 7500gp)
- Robe of Arcane Might (+1 to any spell in the school the robe is attuned to, 21000gp)
- Tome of the Stilled Tongue (+1 to all spells 1/day for 24 hours, but is a relic and so requires feats and such if you're not a cleric of Vecna and costs you a HP drain while in effect).

BoVD has a few ways of temporarily increasing CL as well:
- Terran Brandy, a drug, that you can use to give a temporary (1d20+20 minute) +2CL at the cost of some Con
- Agony, an optional component, gives +2CL for a single spell
- Humanoid hearts as optional components have a 25% to give +2CL for a single spell

And while not exactly an item, the Create Magical Tattoo spell in the Spell Compendium gives +1CL as well (24hrs, use a rod to to boost it to 48 hours).

kjones
2009-02-25, 10:18 PM
Q 391

If you are being grappled, and you have sneak attack damage, do your attacks (made with a light weapon, natural weapon, or unarmed attack) deal sneak attack damage? Your opponent is, after all, denied his Dex bonus to AC.

RTGoodman
2009-02-25, 10:23 PM
A 391

Grappling opponents only lose their Dexterity bonus to AC against foes they ARE NOT grappling with. So if your Rogue is grappling with a Fighter, he still gets his Dex bonus to AC against you, but not against your Wizard buddy. [Source (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/specialAttacks.htm#grapple)]

If your grappling opponent is otherwise denied his Dexterity bonus to AC, then yes, you may apply your Sneak Attack damage.

Glimbur
2009-02-25, 11:07 PM
Q 392

Say I'm a Druid, or some other Wildshaper in D&D 3.5. Say further I read a Tome of Str +4. Does the Inherent bonus carry over to forms I Wildshape in to?

Curmudgeon
2009-02-26, 08:37 AM
A 392 No.
The creature gains the physical ability scores (Str, Dex, Con) of its new form. It retains the mental ability scores (Int, Wis, Cha) of its original form. As you gain the physical ability scores of the new form, the physical ability scores of the old form (regardless of whether they have any bonuses or not) are irrelevant.

Douglas
2009-02-26, 08:55 AM
A392 dissent

Yes. The animal's scores replace your base scores, not your bonuses. Most bonuses from equipment are normally lost when you Wildshape, but that is because the equipment is rendered nonfunctional by the change, not the bonus. Any bonuses from spells or permanent magical effects such as a Manual of Gainful Exercise remain. If you had a belt of giant strength with a Wilding Clasp (Magic Item Compendium), the bonus from that would also stay because the clasp keeps the item functional despite Wildshape.

Graymayre
2009-02-26, 03:18 PM
Q 393 (3.5):
Lets say a ranger gains a favored enemy of a shapeshifter (any kind, dragons would be one). A creature of the same type has changed its shape to something else and confronted that player. Since the ranger doesn't know that it is, in fact, his favored enemy; does he still gain his bonus to damage, bluff, etc?

monty
2009-02-26, 03:26 PM
A 393

From a fluff perspective, favored enemy bonuses are the result of training against the creature's specific fighting style, etc. It doesn't matter if you know what they are.

To more directly answer, yes.

Skjaldbakka
2009-02-26, 03:27 PM
Q 394

If I add the half dragon template to say, an ogre, do I recalculate the base saves for its racial HD?

monty
2009-02-26, 03:32 PM
A 394

Under Size and Type in the Half-Dragon description:

...Do not recalculate base attack bonus or saves.

So, no.

powerdemon
2009-02-26, 06:57 PM
Q 395

On crafting Stone golems, my MM says a greater stone golem requires CL 16, but the SRD says CL 14. Which is it?

The only difference I see in crafting requirements between the Greater and regular versions appears to be price (and possibly CL), is there anything else I'm missing :)?

Curmudgeon
2009-02-26, 07:45 PM
A 395

I'm not sure where you got your Monster Manual, but mine says "CL 14th". The Errata for the book do not change the CL, but add Slow to the spell requirements to match the DMG entry for the Stone Golem Manual, which also requires CL 14th.

powerdemon
2009-02-26, 08:22 PM
A 395

I'm not sure where you got your Monster Manual, but mine says "CL 14th". The Errata for the book do not change the CL, but add Slow to the spell requirements to match the DMG entry for the Stone Golem Manual, which also requires CL 14th.

So the stone golem and the greater stone golem are both CL 14?

Q 396

Looking through MM4, the Clockwork mender, how many would a character have to make to constitute a swarm? The entry only gives construction for one.

EDIT: Found this on SRD:

A swarm of Tiny creatures consists of 300 nonflying creatures or 1,000 flying creatures. A swarm of Diminutive creatures consists of 1,500 nonflying creatures or 5,000 flying creatures. A swarm of Fine creatures consists of 10,000 creatures, whether they are flying or not.

That's.... a lot of crafting... 1,250,000G and 68,000 XP... ouch...

Atelm
2009-02-27, 10:48 AM
Q 397 Do the bonuses to unarmed damage from the Monk's Belt wondrous item and Superiour Unarmed Strike feat (Dungeon Master's Guide I & Tome of Battle respectively) stack with each other for a monk character? (D&D 3.5 edition)

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2009-02-27, 11:12 AM
A. 397

Q 397 Do the bonuses to unarmed damage from the Monk's Belt wondrous item and Superiour Unarmed Strike feat (Dungeon Master's Guide I & Tome of Battle respectively) stack with each other for a monk character? (D&D 3.5 edition)

Yes, they are not bonuses. One treats you as a monk 5 levels higher and the other changes your damage to that of a monk 4 levels higher.

Douglas
2009-02-27, 11:21 AM
A397

This is a subject of considerable debate. I maintain that they do, as both fail to specify what your Monk level is treated higher relative to and the default should be "relative to without this item/feat", but this is far from a universally accepted interpretation.

powerdemon
2009-02-27, 11:36 AM
Q 398

Is there any 3.5 rule for bulk crafting to get discounts or anything? :smallbiggrin: say if I were to craft 1000 items :smallamused:

Douglas
2009-02-27, 12:01 PM
A398

Not that I am aware of, and I've read most 3.5 WotC splatbooks and have a pretty good memory. There might be something in Dragon Magazine somewhere, but I doubt it.

There are a few feats in the Eberron Campaign Setting and/or Player's Guide to Faerun (I think) that give 25% discounts on crafting for either one part of the cost (gold, xp, or time) or for one type of item, but the number of items you craft is irrelevant for those.

MeklorIlavator
2009-02-27, 12:51 PM
Q 399
Where does it state how much damage the different elements deal to objects?

JeenLeen
2009-02-27, 03:18 PM
Q 400

When using Search checks for traps, is it always possible to find traps, such as location trigger or touch trigger, without having to be in the area that sets it off or touching it? Does "searching" mean feeling around, and thus being in the area or touching the object, or looking at it closely?

Douglas
2009-02-27, 03:45 PM
A399

Here. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/exploration.htm#energyAttacks)

A400

You generally must be within 10 feet of the object or surface to be searched.

No further restriction is specified, and no consequences are given for failure. Specific traps might provide such, but I don't think* any WotC published traps do. In general, searching for traps is perfectly safe and costs no more than a little time. It's only when you start trying to disable the trap, or do other things that might trigger it independent of the search check, that there is a chance of setting it off.

* Disclaimer: Traps are mostly outside my area of expertise. My claim about official published traps could easily be wrong.

Ponce
2009-02-27, 04:11 PM
Q401

What benefits does one receive if you PAO into a planetar?

The slam attack, STR, DEX, CON, INT, size, and natural armour are obvious.

You also get the angel subtype. Does that mean you get the benefits of the angel traits? Or maybe the non-Supernatural ones? (Immunity to cold, electricty, petrification, etc)

Do you gain the damage reduction?

Finally, I'd like to re-pose Q302 as it was swallowed up: How long does such a PAO casting last if the caster's int is less than the Planetar's and his size is also less than that of the Planetar? One week?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2009-02-27, 04:46 PM
A397

This is a subject of considerable debate. I maintain that they do, as both fail to specify what your Monk level is treated higher relative to and the default should be "relative to without this item/feat", but this is far from a universally accepted interpretation.

Indeed it has been.

In my opinion the key difference is that the item treats you as a higher level monk while the feats changes how your damage is determined.
If both said treated as a higher level monk I would agree with you.

powerdemon
2009-02-27, 06:07 PM
Q 402

Is there any discount for crafting a golem/construct yourself? The entries say you can do i tor have someone else do it, but doesn't specifically say prices in one or the other case. (Unless I'm missing something).

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2009-02-27, 06:24 PM
Q 402

Is there any discount for crafting a golem/construct yourself? The entries say you can do i tor have someone else do it, but doesn't specifically say prices in one or the other case. (Unless I'm missing something).

You could very well have trouble making the necessary craft checks and have to pay someone to do the work for you. So the discount you get is the expenses you would have had to pay the craftsmen...

powerdemon
2009-02-27, 06:29 PM
You could very well have trouble making the necessary craft checks and have to pay someone to do the work for you. So the discount you get is the expenses you would have had to pay the craftsmen...

That is unfortunate. But, thank you nonetheless.

Q 403

Are they any magic items that grant Improved Natural Attack?

Q 404

Are there any perks/drawbacks to using a double weapon over using two weapons?

Alleine
2009-02-28, 01:50 AM
Q 405

What exactly does the Fiendish Familiar from the Fiend Folio do for a sorcerer or bard? It refers you to the DMG, but not a specific page so I'm having trouble understanding.

Curmudgeon
2009-02-28, 02:38 AM
A 397

The FAQ has an answer for this question:
Does a monk with a monk’s belt and the Superior Unarmed Strike feat benefit from both, or does just the highest benefit apply?
In this case, the better benefit will prevail. These effects technically do not have a bonus, so they would not use the stacking rules. One effect will end up overshadowing the other.

Curmudgeon
2009-02-28, 02:43 AM
A 403 Yes.

A Fanged Ring (Dragon Magic) grants the following feats:
Improved Unarmed Strike
Improved Natural Attack (unarmed strike)
Remember, Improved Natural Attack must be taken for a specific natural attack form.

Curmudgeon
2009-02-28, 02:58 AM
A 404

Plus:
A double weapon is held in both hands and thus gives you bonuses versus disarm and sunder.
The off-hand end of a double weapon counts as a light weapon, and so is applicable for Weapon Finesse (regardless of what's on that off-hand end); and it has light weapon two-weapon fighting penalties.
You can free up one hand without dropping any weapon.
Minus:
If a double weapon is sundered you lose both ends.
The available choices in double weapons are much fewer than for single weapons.
Freeing one hand from a double weapon means you can only use one end, not both.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2009-02-28, 05:21 AM
A. 405

Familiars are listed on page 200 in the DMG.

The improved familiars have no entry for special bonuses like the ordinary familiars, i.e. toad + 3 hp.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2009-02-28, 05:28 AM
A. 404 Corrections

A 404

A double weapon is held in both hands and thus gives you penalties versus disarm and sunder.

You meant bonuses.:smallsmile:

Freeing one hand from a double weapon means you no longer threaten.

It is possible to use a double weapon one handed, but you may only attack with one end.

A creature wielding a double weapon in one hand can’t use it as a double weapon—only one end of the weapon can be used in any given round.

Bulwer
2009-02-28, 06:43 AM
Q 406

Sorry if this has been asked, search is down.

If a rogue uses Rapid Shot to fire 2 shots into an unsuspecting target, do both of them get SA or only the first? What if the first one misses?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2009-02-28, 06:55 AM
A. 406

There are very few truly new questions so do not worry.:smallsmile:

On volley type attacks that delivers several attacks with the same standard action such as manyshot or scorching ray you only have the potential for dealing SA damage on the first attack.

But extra attacks such as from rapid shot still allows you to qualify for SA damage on all attacks.

powerdemon
2009-02-28, 10:03 AM
A 403 Yes.

A Fanged Ring (Dragon Magic) grants the following feats:
Improved Unarmed Strike
Improved Natural Attack (unarmed strike)
Remember, Improved Natural Attack must be taken for a specific natural attack form.

Would that count for a claw attack If I were to put it on a skeleton I make?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2009-02-28, 10:05 AM
Would that count for a claw attack If I were to put it on a skeleton I make?

No, it would provide exactly what it says.

powerdemon
2009-02-28, 10:14 AM
No, it would provide exactly what it says.
It says unarmed attack.

Which is why I ask, because a skeletons claw attack is made without a weapon IE unarmed. So I was asking for clarification, pointing me to the description from which my question comes doesn't help :smallwink:

Douglas
2009-02-28, 10:39 AM
A claw attack is made with a natural weapon, which in D&D rules is quite distinct from an unarmed strike. An attack qualifies as an unarmed strike only if it is made with neither a weapon nor a natural weapon (disregarding certain class features and such that make unarmed strike itself be considered a natural weapon). Just about any label for an attack other than "unarmed strike" disqualifies it.

Alleine
2009-02-28, 12:39 PM
Q 405 cont.

My bad I asked the wrong question, I meant what does its arcane education ability do for sorcerers? It says for wizards it gives them an extra spell known per level, but for sorcerers and bards it says look at at the DMG.

Curmudgeon
2009-02-28, 02:12 PM
A. 404 Corrections

You meant bonuses.:smallsmile:

It is possible to use a double weapon one handed, but you may only attack with one end. Right you are, Silvanos. I should know better than to post past bedtime. :smallsigh: I've corrected my goofs; thanks!.

Curmudgeon
2009-02-28, 02:29 PM
Would that count for a claw attack If I were to put it on a skeleton I make? No, the skeleton would be armed with claws rather than unarmed.
Unarmed Attacks

Striking for damage with punches, kicks, and head butts is much like attacking with a melee weapon, except for the following:
Remember, Improved Natural Attack must be taken for a specific natural attack form. A Fanged Ring grants Improved Natural Attack (unarmed strike). You need Improved Natural Attack (claw).

crazedloon
2009-02-28, 05:17 PM
Q 407

If Otiluke's Suppressing Field (Complete Mage, set to abjuration) interacts with an antimagic field which effect is suppressed?

Q 408
Can Shrink Item be used on a statue made from the use of flesh to stone?

powerdemon
2009-02-28, 05:20 PM
Q 409

The Multidexterity feat says: "You ignore all penalties for using your off hands".

Does this mean that you get full strength bonus to damage with those arms?

If not then:

Q 410

Is there a feat that allows full strength bonus to damage from offhands.

(PS, thanks for the answer on the last on curmudgeon)

Douglas
2009-02-28, 09:43 PM
A407

If the AMF succeeds on the caster level check, it clearly wins and the Otiluke's Suppressing Field is suppressed. If the AMF fails, it's a bit murkier. If one of the spells is already in effect in the area when the other is cast, I think the first one cast would take precedence. If they are both already cast and are then brought into each other's area, I don't think there is a RAW answer if the AMF loses the caster level check.

A408

Yes.

Multidexterity is from the Monster Manual 2, a 3.0 source. It is the more-than-two-handed equivalent of Ambidexterity, which was removed and incorporated into Two-Weapon Fighting in 3.5. Accordingly, Multidexterity does not exist in 3.5. In 3.0, as the "Normal" section makes abundantly clear, it is specifically referring to the penalties on attack rolls, skill checks, and ability checks. Damage is unaffected.

I do not know of any feat that does that. A one level dip in Bloodclaw Master from Tome of Battle works, though it is restricted to a fairly short list of weapons.

Zipikatwa
2009-03-01, 12:45 AM
Q 411

If a character acquires a template that gives level adjustment, what happens? For example, a 10th lvl character gains some +1 LA template and now his ECL is 11. Does he now need 66 000 XP in total for next lvl (12th) or 55 000 (11th, but he is treated as lvl 11 so he gains XP at a slower rate)?

rubycona
2009-03-01, 06:18 AM
Q 412

D&D 3.5: What knowledges apply to what types? And/or where in what book should I look? IE, page 60 of CC Knowledge Devotion suggests that Knowledge Arcana is used for the black dragon and vampire, and knowledge dungeoneering is used for the beholder. Where would I find a comprehensive list? Thank you.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2009-03-01, 06:25 AM
A. 412

There is a list in the skill description in the PHB.

Below are listed typical fields of study.

* Arcana (ancient mysteries, magic traditions, arcane symbols, cryptic phrases, constructs, dragons, magical beasts)
* Architecture and engineering (buildings, aqueducts, bridges, fortifications)
* Dungeoneering (aberrations, caverns, oozes, spelunking)
* Geography (lands, terrain, climate, people)
* History (royalty, wars, colonies, migrations, founding of cities)
* Local (legends, personalities, inhabitants, laws, customs, traditions, humanoids)
* Nature (animals, fey, giants, monstrous humanoids, plants, seasons and cycles, weather, vermin)
* Nobility and royalty (lineages, heraldry, family trees, mottoes, personalities)
* Religion (gods and goddesses, mythic history, ecclesiastic tradition, holy symbols, undead)
* The planes (the Inner Planes, the Outer Planes, the Astral Plane, the Ethereal Plane, outsiders, elementals, magic related to the planes)

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2009-03-01, 06:29 AM
A. 411

Q 411

If a character acquires a template that gives level adjustment, what happens? For example, a 10th lvl character gains some +1 LA template and now his ECL is 11. Does he now need 66 000 XP in total for next lvl (12th) or 55 000 (11th, but he is treated as lvl 11 so he gains XP at a slower rate)?

He is now effectively level 11 and needs to reach level 12 and the xp required for that level.

MichielHagen
2009-03-01, 01:25 PM
Q413
Feats: Metapower, Linked Power

If i pick Claws of the Beast as my Metapower, would i essentially be able to cast a Claws of the Beast (1 PP) and Link it to say...a Vigor of (11 pp) and then reduce the cost by 2 (Linked Power) totalling 10 PP

Can i cast that as a lvl 10 PW?

Effectively i can then cast any spell (targeting myself) as a swift action, delayed by 1 round, at a -1 reduced cost........

monty
2009-03-01, 01:32 PM
Q 414

When Girallon Arms are bound to the totem chakra, it says you can make three secondary claw attacks in conjuction with a primary claw attack or a weapon, unless you have a shield in your off-hand. If I attack with a two-handed weapon, can I still make secondary claw attacks? I can't see anything preventing that, but it doesn't seem right.

powerdemon
2009-03-01, 02:05 PM
Q 415

I'm trying to increase the Max Dex of armor. Besides making it out of mithral (+2 max dex), the Nimblness Enchantment (+1 max dex), and armor focus (+1 max dex) are there any other ways?

MichielHagen
2009-03-01, 02:12 PM
A 415

Maybe not a direct answer to your question, but take a look at the Celestial Armor in the DMG, +8 AC and +8 Max.Dex.

powerdemon
2009-03-01, 02:54 PM
A 415

Maybe not a direct answer to your question, but take a look at the Celestial Armor in the DMG, +8 AC and +8 Max.Dex.

Very nice!

Q416
Would that count as a +3 armor to start from for enchanting? (Says +3 Chainmail)

elonin
2009-03-01, 03:05 PM
q417

Isn't nimbleness a pointless enchantment? It costs a +1 increase and only gives +1 max dex which is good for high dex char but that char could benefit the same from a +1 general bonus to armor which helps his flat footed ac.

powerdemon
2009-03-01, 03:08 PM
q417

Isn't nimbleness a pointless enchantment? It costs a +1 increase and only gives +1 max dex which is good for high dex char but that char could benefit the same from a +1 general bonus to armor which helps his flat footed ac.

It also gives 2 less ACP. And you could use it once you get the enhancement bonus up to +5

powerdemon
2009-03-01, 03:24 PM
Q 418

How much gold would a Thri-Kreen Racial class (Complete Psionic 149) start with?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2009-03-01, 03:32 PM
A. 418

There is no RAW answer for this.

You could use the starting gold of the first standard class the creature plans on taking or use whatever class best compares to the bug...

powerdemon
2009-03-01, 03:37 PM
A. 418

There is no RAW answer for this.

You could use the starting gold of the first standard class the creature plans on taking or use whatever class best compares to the bug...

I am not a bug! :smallbiggrin: Thanks, I'll do the first class you plan to take route. That is a good idea.

powerdemon
2009-03-01, 05:09 PM
Q416
Does a specific armor (in this case Celestial Armor DMG) listed as "+3 Chainmail" count as a +3 armor for enhancements?

Q 419

Can you attack with multiple weapons on a charge if you are dual wielding (or... quad-wielding in my case)? And if not, is there a known feat that accomplishes this?

lsfreak
2009-03-01, 05:24 PM
A416
Yes, it has a +3 enhancement bonus.

A419
No, a charge is a single attack. Two-Weapon Pounce feat from PHB2 lets you attack with two weapons. Pouncing Charge in Tome of Battle (5th level maneuver) lets you make a full attack.

EDIT: My redundancy was redundant.

Mr.Bookworm
2009-03-01, 06:29 PM
Q. 420

Do increased Con modifiers retroactively give HP? And how does this work with equipment?

powerdemon
2009-03-01, 06:35 PM
A. 420

Yes you do gain hitponts retroactively.

As far as equipment goes, you get the extra HP until the equipment is removed.

Defiant
2009-03-01, 08:04 PM
Q. 421

Step 2

Opponent Avoids? The defender has the option to simply avoid you. If he avoids you, he doesn’t suffer any ill effect and you may keep moving (You can always move through a square occupied by someone who lets you by.) The overrun attempt doesn’t count against your actions this round (except for any movement required to enter the opponent’s square). If your opponent doesn’t avoid you, move to Step 3.

So does this mean that if you use an overrun as a standard action, and the opponent avoids you, then you don't end up using a standard action?

Myou
2009-03-01, 08:25 PM
Q. 422

If you're exposed to the same poison from the same creature by more than one attack does the ability damage all add up?

If no, would it add up from seperate members of the same species?

If no, what about if the poison was more virulient in some members of the species than in others?

Alleine
2009-03-01, 08:52 PM
A 421

Yes, you still have a standard action to use. Your move action is used up though.

A 422

Yes, ability damage from poison from the same creature stacks.

MichielHagen
2009-03-02, 02:04 AM
Q413
Feats: Metapower, Linked Power

If i pick Claws of the Beast as my Metapower, would i essentially be able to cast a Claws of the Beast (1 PP) and Link it to say...a Vigor of (11 pp) and then reduce the cost by 2 (Linked Power) totalling 10 PP

Can i cast that as a lvl 10 PW?

Effectively i can then cast any spell (targeting myself) as a swift action, delayed by 1 round, at a -1 reduced cost........

This Q seems forgotten :smallwink:

jcsw
2009-03-02, 05:39 AM
A413

Technically yes. Note that your DM will likely rule otherwise.

---

Q423

Are there any classes or prestige classes that grant (as opposed to progressing) spellcasting which can cast any spell on the list spontaneously? (Like beguiler's, but divine)

MichielHagen
2009-03-02, 06:23 AM
Q424

When you make a full-attack, can you still take a Swift Action?

potatocubed
2009-03-02, 06:39 AM
Q425

All quotes are from d20srd.org.

Daylight (level 3 spell)
"Daylight brought into an area of magical darkness (or vice versa) is temporarily negated, so that the otherwise prevailing light conditions exist in the overlapping areas of effect."

Darkness (level 2 spell)
"Normal lights (torches, candles, lanterns, and so forth) are incapable of brightening the area, as are light spells of lower level. Higher level light spells are not affected by darkness."

Is it me, or are these contradictory? How is daylight versus darkness supposed to work out, RAW?

jcsw
2009-03-02, 06:51 AM
A424:
Yes.

A425:
It's not you, the wording on the spells is very bad.
By RAW:
Darkness is negated in an area of Daylight.
1. Higher Level Light Spells in darkness' description is more specific than Magical Darkness in daylight's description
2. Can't over Can; Darkness does not affect Daylight vs Daylight is negated by Darkness.
By RAI: Due to the way higher level light/dark spells counter lower level spells of the opposite type, Darkness is negated by Daylight.

MichielHagen
2009-03-02, 12:37 PM
Q426

Would i be possible to replace a Move or Standard action for a Swift action?

I cannot find it in the rules, but i believe it would be illogical if it wasn't possible.

Douglas
2009-03-02, 12:49 PM
A426

By RAW, no it is not. Additionally, allowing it by house rule would introduce some significant balance problems due to the number of things throughout 3.5 rules that just assume you get only 1 swift action per round. For example, such a house rule would allow wizards to cast two Quickened spells per round for no cost beyond the spell slots other than not moving more than a 5' step.

monty
2009-03-02, 01:00 PM
Q 414

When Girallon Arms are bound to the totem chakra, it says you can make three secondary claw attacks in conjuction with a primary claw attack or a weapon, unless you have a shield in your off-hand. If I attack with a two-handed weapon, can I still make secondary claw attacks? I can't see anything preventing that, but it doesn't seem right.

Reposted from last page.

Eloel
2009-03-02, 01:43 PM
You may cast only one quickened spell per round.
There's a built-in restriction for having more than one swift action, but not being able to cast quickened spell again.

monty
2009-03-02, 02:03 PM
There's a built-in restriction for having more than one swift action, but not being able to cast quickened spell again.

That's a holdover from when quickened spells were a free action, before the swift action mechanic existed. Anyway, there are other things that use swift actions that assume you can only have one per round (for example, any spell with a casting time of 1 swift action).

powerdemon
2009-03-02, 03:58 PM
Q 427

What's the difference between a swift and a free action?

RTGoodman
2009-03-02, 04:00 PM
A 427

From the SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/actionsincombat.htm):

Free Action
Free actions consume a very small amount of time and effort. You can perform one or more free actions while taking another action normally. However, there are reasonable limits on what you can really do for free.

Swift Action
A swift action consumes a very small amount of time, but represents a larger expenditure of effort and energy than a free action. You can perform only a single swift action per turn.