PDA

View Full Version : Simple Q&A (by RAW) VIII [All Games]

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

Roland St. Jude
2008-12-08, 12:48 PM
(This is a fairly high procedure thread; please read the entire instructions carefully before posting. Thanks.)

Ever have a simple, straight-forward rules question that you can’t figure out the answer to? Ask it here. No question is too simple. No more worrying about whether your question is “worth” starting a thread. Ask here and receive an answer. You are, of course, welcome to start a thread for your question, and if you think your question is subject to many interpretations or will start a debate, you are encouraged to start a new thread for it.

This thread will serve as a catch-all for simple, discreet questions that can be answered quickly according to the RAW (Rules As Written).

If your question is about D&D 4e, check here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83321). 4e questions can be asked here or there.
If your question is about real world weapons and armor ask it here (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=gaming;action=display;num=1149238581 ;start=0#0).
If your question is about homebrew rulings start a thread here (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=homebrew).
If you are looking for the meaning of an acronym or abbreviation look here (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=gaming;action=display;num=1121064702 ;start=0#0).
You may want to skim the last Q&A thread to see if your question has already been asked and answered here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66326).

The Procedure:

Do:
Label your questions with bold Q#s.
Note what game/edition you are asking about
Label your answers with the bold Q# that you are responding to and/or quote the question.
Be sure that your answer is correct before you post it; if you are the least bit uncertain, just let it pass and get the next one.
Try to give your answers in as clear and straightforward terms as possible.
Feel free to quote or link to relevant rules in the SRD, Errata, or FAQ that supports your answer. (You may want to give your answer and then modify it to add support – otherwise someone else may answer while you’re assembling yours.)
Specify if your question is for a system other than D&D (the default for this thread).

Don’t:
Ask Homebrew rules questions here.
Ask trick questions or attempt to “stump the panel,” so to speak.
Answer a question that’s already been answered.
Offer contradictions, clarifications, exceptions, or extensions of prior answers unless, in your opinion, the answer give is plainly and completely wrong.
Post to debate the answers given.
Post to carry on other conversations whether tangentially related or wholly unrelated.

Dispute Resolution Procedure:
If you dispute someone’s answer – meaning that they got it wrong in a critical fashion – post your answer and suggest that the original questioner start a thread to discuss it further if they want it hashed out.
If someone disputes your answer, don’t respond. Just wait to see if the original questioner starts a new thread to discuss it.
If your question leads to a disputed answer, start a new thread if you’d like it discussed further.

Here are some sample questions. “Bad” questions just mean they should be asked in their own thread where you can get many answers and opinions. “Good” questions just mean that these are the types of questions that are amenable to a quick straightforward answer (probably).

Sample “Bad” Questions:
How do I play D&D? (Great question, but not for this thread.)
What is a good 10 level TWF build? (Far too broad and requires much opinion)
What +2 LA race should I take for my sorcerer build? (Again, an opinion question)
Which is better GURPS or D&D?

Sample “Good” Questions:
Q.1. Are there any Large +0 LA races?
Q.2.As a sorcerer/rogue, do I get to add sneak attack damage to my attack spells?
Q.3. What effect would Dispel Magic have on a golem or similar construct?
Q.4. Is there a feat that allows me to get a familiar?
Q.5. Where can I find this “Initiate of the Sevenfold Veil” everyone is talking about?
Q.6. What is GURPS?

{The first several versions of this thread seemed to run pretty efficiently, but if you have any comments about how this thread could be improved please PM me.}

Please start over with the numbering. Thanks.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-12-08, 12:55 PM
Q. 001

Should this thread be stickied? :smallamused:

Defiant
2008-12-08, 12:59 PM
Q. 002

Are there any Large +0 LA races?

Brett Wong
2008-12-08, 01:00 PM
Q. 002 Edit1: Q. 003 (ninja's!!!) Edit2: D&D 3.5

3-4: Lay on hands. Once per day, the blackguard can use this supernatural ability to cure himself or his fiendish servant of damage equal to his Charisma bonus x his level.

Does -his level- mean character level, or blackguard level?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-12-08, 01:03 PM
A. 002

I am afraid not.

Defiant
2008-12-08, 01:04 PM
Curses! It always bothered me that a question such as that was right there, but with no answer. I was afraid to ask it :smalltongue:

A. 001

Yes.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-12-08, 01:05 PM
A. 003

It refers to the Blackguard level.

Jasdoif
2008-12-08, 01:07 PM
A003

His blackguard level. In a class description, an unqualified reference to "level" means levels in that particular class; an explicit reference to character level would have to be made if character level is what was meant.

EDIT: Ninja'd by the Popcorn Tyrant!

Tygell
2008-12-08, 01:24 PM
Q 4

Copied from Q 673 in old thread

As an incantatrix, could I use Instant Metamagic and Cooperative metamagic to persist an ally Cleric's spell without the normal Persist penalty to spell level?

More or less, I want to know what the best way is to persist a cleric's buffs, without the spellcraft check skyrocketing out of my reach. Thanks!

Douglas
2008-12-08, 01:51 PM
A004
I can't check my books for the exact wording at the moment, but I don't think so.

In any case, Instant Metamagic has been errataed to not be able to increase your metamagic cap - if you want to use it to apply a +4 metamagic on a 3rd level spell you must be able to cast 7th level spells, for example.

If you haven't already done so, you may want to look into what spells can increase your bonus. Greater Heroism gives +4 morale to all skills, and a minor ring of spell storing would let your cleric friend transfer a Divine Insight to you for another +8 insight on one check. I'm sure there are others, and if you have a Bard in the party he could Inspire Competence to help.

enderrocksonall
2008-12-08, 02:08 PM
Q 5

Can an Incantrix use Metamagic Effect to apply the Persistant Spell metamagic feat to a spell that could not normally be persisted due to high spell level or target.

For example, could an Incantrix use Metamagic Effect to retroactively persist a Bite of the Were-Bear spell that had been cast the previous round?

EDIT: Or the other side of the example: Could they do it to a Bull's Strength cast the previous round?

Douglas
2008-12-08, 03:08 PM
A005
Metamagic Effect can apply metamagics that would normally require a spell slot above your highest level slot, but the spell must still satisfy any requirements for the feat. It can Persist Bite of the Werebear, provided you can make the spellcraft check. Whether it can Persist Bull's Strength depends on whether your DM considers Touch range to be "fixed" or not - this is a matter of some debate. It cannot Persist Haste, as Haste's range is not fixed and Haste therefore does not qualify for Persistent Spell.

enderrocksonall
2008-12-08, 03:56 PM
Q 6

Posted this question in the last forum, but when I checked the errata I found that there wasn't anything on polymorph, so I'll re-ask it again in this thread.

If a lich uses polymorph to turn into a non-undead creature, does it lose all the undead traits that it had?

Also, since polymorph changes type and subtype, does the creature using it gain traits of the type they are changing into?

For example, would a human wizard who cast the spell and turned into a black pudding gain blindsight, and immunity to critical hits, poison, sleep effects, paralysis, and stunning, despite the fact that polymorph states that you do not gain qualities like blindsight?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-12-08, 04:06 PM
A. 006

Yes, you get the traits of the new form except for extraordinary qualities noted in those traits.

The RotG series article on polymorphing part 3 (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rg/20040525a) deals specifically with the Polymorph spell.

KevLar
2008-12-08, 05:29 PM
Q. 007

Can you enhance Bracers of Armor with magic armor properties, e.g. Acid Resistance? (Assume that enhancing/improving magic items is allowed in general, the problem is if a magic property intended for armor applies to the Bracers.)

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-12-08, 05:30 PM
A. 007

No, by RAW you can only get an armor bonus from the bracers.

EDIT: Ha! But at least you made that little joke. :smalltongue:
It would not be very secret if I told you now would it...ooops.....

Jasdoif
2008-12-08, 05:32 PM
A007

No, Mr. Bond.

Bracers of Armor are not armor, despite the name, they are wondrous items.

(EDIT: Once again, I have been ninja'd by the Popcorn Tyrant. Does this make him a secret agent ninja? :smalleek: )

AslanCross
2008-12-08, 06:08 PM
Q 008

When do armor spikes deal extra damage when grappling? Only during the initial grapple attempt (as the RAW says "successful grapple attack") or with each successful grapple check made to deal damage? (Including Constrict from say, the Crushing Weight of the Mountain stance)

Tygell
2008-12-08, 06:42 PM
Q 09

A. Does the Spontaneous Divination alternate class feature for Wizards only let me spontaneously cast divination spells i have previously learned and added to my spellbook?

B. Or does it let me cast ANY arcane divination spell?

C. Or even better, does it let me cast ANY divination spell, regardless of origin? Including classes that get div spells earlier than others, i.e. Legend Lore from a bard spell list.

Spontaneous Divination is from Complete Champion I think, to save people time looking it up.

Douglas
2008-12-08, 06:46 PM
A009
As per errata, only divination spells you know.

Defiant
2008-12-08, 06:53 PM
Q. 010

Although no such things are listed in the wondrous items category, is it acceptable to be able to purchase ability-boosting magic items of odd numbers? For example, +1STR gauntlets, for the average/usual price of 1000gp.

Curmudgeon
2008-12-08, 06:59 PM
A 007 correction

Yes, you can add armor special properties to Bracers of Armor. This is detailed on page 130 of Arms and Equipment Guide: "Bracers of Armor and Armor Special Properties". AaEG is a 3.0 book, but still RAW according to page 4 of the 3.5 Dungeon Master's Guide:
This is an upgrade of the d20 System, not a new edition of the game. This revision is compatible with all existing products, and those products can be used with the revision with only minor adjustments No retraction has been made for this AaEG rule regarding Bracers of Armor, and the base rules for the item have not changed from version 3.0 to 3.5.

Curmudgeon
2008-12-08, 07:07 PM
A 008

The term "a successful grapple attack" in the description for armor spikes refers to:
Step 3 ("Hold") in the initial attack
"Attack Your Opponent" option if you're grappling
"Damage Your Opponent" option if you're grappling
Basically wherever an unarmed attack is permitted in a grapple, you can instead attack with your armor spikes.

monty
2008-12-08, 07:14 PM
A 010

That would probably be covered under the custom item pricings.

Curmudgeon
2008-12-08, 07:16 PM
A 010 No.

The even-number limitations are in place to keep players from getting discounts on stat-boosting items where they have odd-numbered ability scores.
Magic Item Compendium presents official rules for adding common item effects to existing magic items. Table 6-11: Adding/Improving Common Item Effects provides a comprehensive list of ability boost options, and these are restricted to even numbers. Odd number boosts are not part of these "official rules".

Defiant
2008-12-08, 07:21 PM
You were referring to this (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/creatingMagicItems.htm), but I wanted to see by RAW. Well, shucks...

Q. 011

Other than being able to cast spells and feat prerequisites, how are odd numbers beneficial over even numbers regarding ability scores? (i.e. how is 15 better than 14)

monty
2008-12-08, 07:25 PM
A 011

An odd strength score still gives you a higher carrying capacity, but besides that, I don't think there's any benefit other than the fact that it's easier to get it up with a Manual/Tome or level boosts.

Glimbur
2008-12-08, 07:48 PM
Q 12 D&D 3.5

Say I'm a kobold with three natural attacks: two claws and a bite.

Say further that my buddy casts a Haste spell on me. Do I get an extra hasted attack? If so, with which attack(which is academic as they do the same damage for me)?

monty
2008-12-08, 08:10 PM
A 12

One of them will be your "primary" attack. You get one more with that one.

On an unrelated note, shouldn't the old thread be de-stickied?

Thurbane
2008-12-08, 09:25 PM
Q. 002

Are there any Large +0 LA races?
A 002 suggestion

If you can afford it, you could take a standard LA +0 race and get a Permanent Enlarge Person cast on you. You ruin the risk of having it Dispelled, however.

jcsw
2008-12-08, 11:52 PM
Q13 (3.5)

The spell compendium features the spell joyful noise, a spell which can be cast only by bards.
The spell features no verbal components, in keeping with its main feature of being able to negate a silence spell.

However, does this override a bard's requirement to always use verbal components in their spells?

Subquestion: Where exactly does it say bards must always use verbal components in their spells? I can't find the location of that rule anymore.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-12-09, 12:02 AM
A 13

This appears to be a case of "Specific Trumps General". As it's a Bard-only spell specifically with no verbal components, my interpretation is that it doesn't require them even for bards.

For your subquestion, I found:
A bard casts arcane spells, which are drawn from the bard spell list. He can cast any spell he knows without preparing it ahead of time. Every bard spell has a verbal component (singing, reciting, or music). To learn or cast a spell, a bard must have a Charisma score equal to at least 10 + the spell level. The Difficulty Class for a saving throw against a bard’s spell is 10 + the spell level + the bard’s Charisma modifier. That was under the bard's entry on casting, and it has a mention under Silent Spell as well.

Demons_eye
2008-12-09, 07:18 AM
A:2
I am away from my books but I think there is a la 0 race in SS its anfomrophic(sp?) snake I think. Its the Snake, Huge viper but its got 3d8 hd.

kjones
2008-12-09, 01:26 PM
Q14 (D&D 3.5)

Are there rules for putting together a wizard's spellbook when starting a wizard above 1st level?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-12-09, 01:45 PM
A. 014

At character generation you may add as many free spells as you would if you had leveled normally.

Additional spells can be added at the usual cost for adding spells to your spell book and paid for with your starting gold, which is determined from the Wealth by Level tables.

Kurald Galain
2008-12-09, 05:48 PM
Q 15

D&D 4th edition. Suppose I wear a helmet that grants Foo Resistance 5, and also wield a shield that grants Foo Resistance 5. I'm assuming these two won't stack - however, I am unable to find a rule to that effect in the player's handbook.

Can someone tell me where to find this rule? (I'm asking for a reference to the rulebooks, not simply the answer that "no they don't stack). Thanks.

Laharal
2008-12-10, 01:18 AM
Q 16

D&D 3.5

Throw Anything
[General, Fighter] (CWar p105)
Dexterity 15
Base Attack Bonus +2
You may throw a melee weapon with which you are proficient as if it were a ranged weapon with a range
increment of 10’ with no penalty on the attack roll.

Does the passage in bold means that I can add my dex bonus instead of str on attack rolls? Ex: Trowing a dagger and adding + 4 dex bonus?

monty
2008-12-10, 01:25 AM
A 16

All ranged attacks use Dex for the attack roll unless specifically stated otherwise, even if you don't have Throw Anything. All that means is you don't take the -4 for what would otherwise essentially be an improvised weapon.

RTGoodman
2008-12-10, 01:27 AM
A 16

Yes, the feat lets you throw a melee weapon as if it were a ranged weapon. Since you use your Dexterity modifier instead of your Strength modifier on ranged attacks, you use your Dex when using the Throw Anything feat.

Note, of course, that daggers, as per this chart (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/weapons.htm#tableWeapons), already have a range increment (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/weapons.htm#rangeIncrement) of 10 ft., so they can be thrown WITHOUT needing that particular feat.

mikej
2008-12-10, 11:19 AM
Q-17

I know its been asked earlier, but my current DM likes to find wording errors to screw over stuff. Does the incantatrix's metamagic effect & cooperative metamagic bypass the cost of losing higher level spells to use, like any other metamagic feat. Example if I use coop meta to maximize [ +3 ] on my allies fireball, do I still sacriface a 6th level spell ?. Or is the insanely high spellcraft DC the cost of using these abilities with metamagic feats.

jcsw
2008-12-10, 01:25 PM
Q 18 [3.5]

Is there any way to give a creature the Human Subtype for the purposes of qualifying for feats?
Specifically, is there any way for a gnome to do this.

Eloel
2008-12-10, 01:28 PM
A0000000018
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/shapechange.htm
might work. Don't take my word as very firm though

Douglas
2008-12-10, 01:31 PM
A17
Yes, those abilities bypass the normal spell slot cost of metamagic. That's the whole point of those abilities; they would be almost useless without it. The high DC spellcraft check and the uses per day are the limiting factors.

A18
The Human Heritage feat from Races of Destiny does the trick, provided you are already at least part human. Races described as being descended from humans, such as Aasimar (I think), do qualify. It can only be taken at first level, though.

Edit: Whoops, just saw the gnome part of it. I don't think so.

jcsw
2008-12-10, 01:35 PM
A0000000018

For feats, dude. While technically you could Polymorph any Object into a human for qualifying for feats, no DM will let you do this.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-12-10, 01:41 PM
A. 018

The Human Heritage feat from Races of Destiny will work for half-humans and human descended (see RoD page 150), but not for your Gnome.

I do not think there is anything that comes closes save the option below or similar type changing maneuvers.

A0000000018

It is problematic when the spell duration is up and you lose the benefit of the feat not to mention that you need to be shapechanged into a human at the time you level up, which require some DM goodwill.

Edit: Ninja'ed by Douglas.

Bulwer
2008-12-10, 07:23 PM
Q19

In 3.5, can you charge, overrun someone in your way, and bull rush someone else at the end?

If not, you can just charge, overrun, and attack at the end, right? Can that attack be on someone you just overran?

Jasdoif
2008-12-10, 07:26 PM
A019

No. PHB errata removed the ability to overrun while charging.

Mushroom Ninja
2008-12-10, 10:33 PM
Q20

With Improved Trip, can you attempt to trip the target on a charge? On an AoO? As part of a Flurry of Blows?

monty
2008-12-10, 10:38 PM
A 20

Yes, you can use special attacks (trip, grapple, sunder, etc.) on any melee attack.

Defiant
2008-12-11, 01:22 PM
Q. 021

Could someone please point me to a resource telling me how Gestalt works? I know the idea behind it, but am unsure of the details.

Fax Celestis
2008-12-11, 01:24 PM
A021 Look no further than the SRD. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/gestaltCharacters.htm)

Jasdoif
2008-12-11, 01:58 PM
A021 comment

A021 Look no further than the SRD. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/gestaltCharacters.htm)Do note that the gestalt rules are not in the official SRD.

I mention this because if you already have a copy of the SRD that you use for reference (such as the documents from WotC's site), it may not have the gestalt rules in it; and I wouldn't want anyone to spend a lot of time looking for it if it's not there.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-12-11, 02:03 PM
A021 comment
Do note that the gestalt rules are not in the official SRD.

I mention this because if you already have a copy of the SRD that you use for reference (such as the documents from WotC's site), it may not have the gestalt rules in it; and I wouldn't want anyone to spend a lot of time looking for it if it's not there.

It is a good point.
However, note that it is part of the OGL, so the site Fax is linking to is not violating the intellectual property rights of WotC in this instance, it is just the name they have chosen that is a little misleading in this case.

Defiant
2008-12-11, 02:22 PM
Q. 022

How does level adjustment and racial hit dice work with Gestalt?

Laharal
2008-12-11, 02:35 PM
Q.023

D&D 3.5

a)How do I calculate the CR of an NPC with an NPC class?
b) In A, if we are talking about a lvl 1 Orc warrior (CR 1/2), what happens to the CR of that guy if I give him another lvl of warrior? (1.5? round down? up?)
c) Does NPC get an hit dice at each lvl ?

Many thanks

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-12-11, 02:37 PM
A. 022

I do not think any details is given, so you should treat it like any other class.

Defiant
2008-12-11, 02:38 PM
A. 023

a) Each NPC class level adds 0.5CR
b) His CR will be 1
c) Yes, but bear in mind that NPCs with NPC classes do not get maximum hit dice at first level. They do only with a PC class.

For more information check out http://www.d20srd.org/srd/improvingMonsters.htm

Defiant
2008-12-11, 02:40 PM
A. 022

I do not think any details is given, so you should treat it like any other class.

Q. 022 continuation

Wait, so I could have for an ECL6 Gestalt character (Pixie is LA+4)

Pixie/Rogue 2//Sorcerer 6 ?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-12-11, 02:41 PM
A. 023

A)

Levels in NPC classes are always treated as nonassociated.

Non-associated classes add 1/2 CR.

B)

CR 1

C)
NPC classes like all other classes that list a HD type grants a HD for each level taken.

Fax Celestis
2008-12-11, 02:43 PM
Q. 022 continuation

That's generally how it's done.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-12-11, 02:44 PM
Q. 022 continuation

Yes.
Gestalt requires more careful DM adjudication wrt to balance.

EDIT: OK, no more ninja'ing me! Where is Jasdoif when you need him.... :smalltongue:

Duke of URL
2008-12-11, 03:03 PM
A 22, clarification

There is NO RAW method for applying level adjustment or racial hit dice to Gestalt.

A 22, additional commentary

While it is an extremely reasonable assumption to treat a racial hit die identically to a class level, even there you have the question of how to apply it, i.e., all on one side, split as evenly as possible over both sides, etc.

Level adjustment is not as clear-cut. In addition to where it is placed, the question arises as to whether or not it affects the entire level (the most reasonable RAW interpretation) or just one side (the most reasonable RAI interpretation).

In short, this becomes the province of the DM's discretion.

On a personal note, I'd recommend:

Treat RHD as class levels; RHD must all be applied on one side and applied prior to class levels on that side.
LA should either be applied to one side only, or split as evenly as possible between both sides; in both cases before RHD and/or class levels are taken on the respective side(s).

For your Pixie example, the first method gives LA 4 / Rogue 2 // Sorcerer 6; the second method is LA 2 / Rogue 4 // LA 2 / Sorcerer 4.

An Ogre (4 RHD, LA +2 ) could be built as LA 2 / RHD 4 // Cleric 6 or RHD 4 / Fighter 2 // LA 2 / Cleric 4. (Or LA 1 / RHD 4 / Fighter 1 // LA 1 / Cleric 5 if using the second method.)

theterran
2008-12-11, 03:16 PM
Q24

when using the Astral Construct power to create an astral construct, if I have the Ectopic Form feat from Complete Psionic, can I apply that feat to the construct as well as a special ability found here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/monsters/astralConstruct.htm)?

Defiant
2008-12-11, 03:37 PM
Q. 025
(22 continuation kind of)

How does leveling up work with a LA Gestalt build?

Suppose that by level 5 I have Pixie(4)/Rogue1//Sorcerer5 (the DM has ruled that all LA and RHD go on one side). What happens at levels 1 through 4?

a) i) I am assuming that I will get hit dice as normal from the Sorcerer through those levels, yes?
ii) Likewise with the Base Attack progression?
iii) Saving throws?

b) i) As I gain class skills, do I get the Intelligence bonus from the Pixie for levels 1, 2, and 3? 4? Definitely 5 though.
ii) Do I only get the quadruple skill points at my very first level ECL1? So in order for me to want good Rogue skills maxed, I will have to do a lot of catching up at level 5?

c) Feat progression goes normally since I have a class going on while I also have an LA, yes?

I'll probably need a pen and paper to figure out everything when actually building this character :smalltongue:

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-12-11, 03:42 PM
A. 024

Yes, you also get the menu choice.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-12-11, 03:46 PM
A. 025

There are no levels 1-4 unless you use a savage progression (See Savage species) in which case the non-HD levels are detailed as well.

When playing a character with RHD and/or LA and not using savage progressions you have to start at the minimum playable level. (level 5 in this case)

Jasdoif
2008-12-11, 04:07 PM
EDIT: OK, no more ninja'ing me! Where is Jasdoif when you need him.... :smalltongue:Here, have some popcorn.

A025 additional detail

Suppose that by level 5 I have Pixie(4)/Rogue1//Sorcerer5 (the DM has ruled that all LA and RHD go on one side). What happens at levels 1 through 4?The Popcorn Tyrant is indeed correct; without a special progression you can't play this prior to level 5 (or I guess level 4 if you don't have the rogue//sorcerer level). However, here's some details on the process in general, given that your LA all goes on one side as ruled by your DM.

a) i) I am assuming that I will get hit dice as normal from the Sorcerer through those levels, yes?
ii) Likewise with the Base Attack progression?
iii) Saving throws?Correct. In gestalt, you get the better of the two sides' progressions. Since LA has no progression of any of these, you get what sorcerer offers you.

b) i) As I gain class skills, do I get the Intelligence bonus from the Pixie for levels 1, 2, and 3? 4? Definitely 5 though.
ii) Do I only get the quadruple skill points at my very first level ECL1? So in order for me to want good Rogue skills maxed, I will have to do a lot of catching up at level 5?i) Yes, you always apply your Int modifier when you get skill points.
ii) Yes. This is no different then a standard character, you get x4 skill points on your first level or hit die only.

c) Feat progression goes normally since I have a class going on while I also have an LA, yes?Yes.

theterran
2008-12-11, 04:39 PM
Q26

Following Q24

An astral Construct lasts for 1 Round/Level, when its time is up, is it destroyed, or does it just cease to be? Basically, there's a Ectopic Form with a "destroy" trigger and I was wondering if it would be triggered at the end of its "time" if it isn't destroyed otherwise...

Defiant
2008-12-11, 04:54 PM
Q. 025 continuation

Wait, I'm still uncertain now.

So let's take my Pixie(4)/Rogue1//Sorcerer5 (working with fractional results). Suppose an INT of 20 (+5). Edit Clarification: An INT of 14(base)+6(pixie).

Correct me wherever I am wrong. (Italicized is the actual result)

1.a) i) I get the hit dice even if I didn't go through those levels. I would have 4d4+1d6 (ignoring max1st, CON).
ii) I get the BAB even though I didn't go through those levels. I would have +2.0 BAB from Sorc (4 levels) and +0.75 from Rogue (better level at ECL5), giving me a total BAB of +2.75.
iii) I get the better bonus from either, thus rendering a new class multiclass always the favourable side of the save Gestalt (for the aspects it improves). I would have +1.66/+1.66/+4 from the first sorc4, then at ECL5 -/+2.5*/- from the rogue 1 and +0.33/-/+0.5 from the 5th sorc, yielding a save bonus grand total of +2/+4.16/+4.5 for my ECL5 character.
* - Seeing as the progression goes from 2 to 12 in 20 levels, it behooves us to assume that it adds 0.5 each level. Seeing as it goes from +2 to +3 from 1st to 2nd level, it behooves us to assume that at level one, it is +2.5.

b) i) This is the one that has me confused. At level 5 would I completely ignore the 4 sorc levels in regards to skill points? I would have 4*(8+5) skill points to spend across my class skills (derived from both sorc and rogue), while never having had skill points before.
ii) Huh?

c) Would I have 2 feats or 1 feat, ignoring classes and races? I would have 2 available feats from the regular feat progression happening at level 1 and level 3 (next being level 6).

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-12-11, 05:14 PM
Q. 025 continuation

Wait, I'm still uncertain now.

So let's take my Pixie(4)/Rogue1//Sorcerer5 (working with fractional results). Suppose an INT of 20 (+5).

Correct me wherever I am wrong. (Italicized is the actual result)

Gestalt can be a little confusing.

1.a) i) I get the hit dice even if I didn't go through those levels. I would have 4d4+1d6 (ignoring max1st, CON).

Yes. But the order is actually reversed. Rogue(1)+4 LA// Sor 5

1d6 (maxed) +4d4 + 5xcon

ii) I get the BAB even though I didn't go through those levels. I would have +2.0 BAB from Sorc (4 levels) and +0.75 from Rogue (better level at ECL5), giving me a total BAB of +2.75.

Yes. (See above)

iii) I get the better bonus from either, thus rendering a new class multiclass always the favourable side of the save Gestalt (for the aspects it improves). I would have +1.66/+1.66/+4 from the first sorc4, then at ECL5 -/+2.5*/- from the rogue 1 and +0.33/-/+0.5 from the 5th sorc, yielding a save bonus grand total of +2/+4.16/+4.5 for my ECL5 character.
* - Seeing as the progression goes from 2 to 12 in 20 levels, it behooves us to assume that it adds 0.5 each level. Seeing as it goes from +2 to +3 from 1st to 2nd level, it behooves us to assume that at level one, it is +2.5.

Good saves start at 2.33333... adding +2/3
Bad saves start at 0.33333... adding +1/3

I am sure you can work with that.

b) i) This is the one that has me confused. At level 5 would I completely ignore the 4 sorc levels in regards to skill points? I would have 4*(8+5) skill points to spend across my class skills (derived from both sorc and rogue), while never having had skill points before.
ii) Huh?

Again you have to consider the order reversed for the level adjusted side. Your 5th level is just a sorcerer level with nothing on the side.

c) Would I have 2 feats or 1 feat, ignoring classes and races? I would have 2 available feats from the regular feat progression happening at level 1 and level 3 (next being level 6).

2, next at 6th level.

KevLar
2008-12-11, 05:24 PM
Q. 027

If I have Pounce, and use the Bounding Assault maneuver, can I make a full attack after the double move? (And why, if it's not too much to ask. Thank you. :smallsmile: )

Defiant
2008-12-11, 05:27 PM
Q 022/025 continuation

Good saves start at 2.33333... adding +2/3

That doesn't add up. A 5th level rogue should therefore have reflex: 2.33+4*(2/3)=2.33+2.66=5. But the rogue has 4, and only gets 5 at the next level. It doesn't work in any other way than 2.5+0.5 (other than obscure fractions resulting in the same results for the first 20 levels).

Again you have to consider the order reversed for the level adjusted side. Your 5th level is just a sorcerer level with nothing on the side.

So was I correct? Would I start gaining skills at my 5th level, also quadrupling at that time (drawing on my Rogue skill points since it's 8 rather than 2)?

Also, thanks a lot to everyone in helping me figure all this out.

Q. 028

Removed

kjones
2008-12-11, 05:32 PM
Q 29

Wall of Stone and Wall of Iron can be made twice as big by making them half as thick. Is the opposite true? Can I make my stone wall twice as thick by making it half as large?

Defiant
2008-12-11, 05:41 PM
Q. 030

Can you use Eschew Materials while immobilized or otherwise denied the use of your hands? Thinking Still Spell here.

I'm not sure if the feat means that you can conjure up out of nothing a (insignificant) material component, or that you simply don't need one.

Duke of URL
2008-12-11, 06:32 PM
A 25, addendum

I'll repeat again, level adjustment and racial hit die are not covered -- at all -- in gestalt by the RAW. Further questions along this line should probably be directed to other threads.

Fax Celestis
2008-12-11, 06:50 PM
A030 You simply don't need them. See also: definition of "eschew":

es⋅chew   /ɛsˈtʃu/ –verb (used with object)
to abstain or keep away from; shun; avoid: to eschew evil.

In short, you don't need them.

Curmudgeon
2008-12-11, 07:11 PM
A 027

Assuming you mean the Bounding Assault feat (Players Handbook II), this is incompatible with pounce (full attack on a charge). A charge is a special full-round action. Bounding Assault lets you attack twice as part of Spring Attack, which allows you to split a move action around an attack. As a charge uses up all of your actions in a round, you just don't have available the move action and separate attack that Spring Attack and Bounding Assault require.

With pounce alone you can make a full attack after the double move of a charge. You'll just be stuck in easy retaliation reach of your opponent.

KevLar
2008-12-11, 07:14 PM
Q. 027 - cont.

Terribly sorry I didn't make that clear, I meant the Bounding Assault maneuver from ToB (double move and attack, considered a charge).

Defiant
2008-12-11, 07:14 PM
RAW or not, I'd still like an answer to my last question in regards to skill points. If it's truly ambiguous, I'll just ask the DM.

A030

My bad, I thought "Eschew" meant something else.

Q. 031

Is there any spell that reduces the size of an object? For example, a Quicken Metamagic Rod being reduced in size (and can it be reduced multiple times)?

Q. 032

Can a rod be made out of mithral? (it seems kind of a special item so I'm not sure)

Rods weigh approximately 5 pounds.

They range from 2 feet to 3 feet long and are usually made of iron or some other metal.

Curmudgeon
2008-12-11, 07:23 PM
A 029

The answer is yes for Wall of Stone; there are few restrictions on the shape with that spell -- but it must be anchored to natural stone. Wall of Iron doesn't need to be anchored, but it isn't as free to shape as you like. I'd say the answer is yes, but only to the extent that you can still make the Wall into 5' squares as stipulated in the spell's Effect: line.

Curmudgeon
2008-12-11, 07:24 PM
A 031

Shrink Item (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/shrinkitem.htm) is what you want.

Curmudgeon
2008-12-11, 07:26 PM
A 032 Yes.

A rod can be used as a weapon.
An item made from mithral weighs half as much as the same item made from other metals. In the case of weapons, this lighter weight does not change a weapon’s size category or the ease with which it can be wielded (whether it is light, one-handed, or two-handed). It will cost more, of course.

Curmudgeon
2008-12-11, 07:34 PM
A 027 (2nd time) Yes.

As part of this maneuver, make a double move. After you move, you can also make a melee attack. You gain a +2 bonus on this attack. This maneuver is considered a charge attack when determining if feats and other abilities apply to your attack. Pounce allows you to charge and make a full attack. The Diamond Mind Bounding Assault maneuver lets you (essentially) charge with a +2 to the single attack. The combination will let you charge and full attack with a +2 to the first strike of your full attack (but not the others because the bonus is to "a melee attack").

Talic
2008-12-11, 07:52 PM
A 027 (2nd time) Yes.

Pounce allows you to charge and make a full attack. The Diamond Mind Bounding Assault maneuver lets you (essentially) charge with a +2 to the single attack. The combination will let you charge and full attack with a +2 to the first strike of your full attack (but not the others because the bonus is to "a melee attack").

A 27 (redux): No.

The diamond mind maneuver only counts as a charge for determining whether feats and abilities apply to your attack. Singular.

Pounce is not an ability that applies to an attack, such as leap attack, or Shock trooper. It's an ability that modifies an entire action.

But that first attack? It doesn't alter, change, or affect it in any way. Thus, it cannot apply to that one attack.

Since Bounding Assault does not count as a charge for any other purpose, it doesn't qualify for pounce.

Fax Celestis
2008-12-11, 07:55 PM
Q033 Is the Harrow deck (http://paizo.com/pathfinder/pathfinderChronicles/v5748btpy80sv&source=search) made by Paizo covered under the OGL, or is it proprietary? What about the Ravenloft Tarokka deck (http://paizo.com/store/byCompany/w/wizardsOfTheCoast/featuredBrands/ravenloft/roleplaying/aDD2/v5748btpy7mpp&source=search) from Sword and Sorcery? Are there any OGL tarot decks existent within the 3.5/d20 System?

Laharal
2008-12-11, 08:09 PM
Q034

D&D 3.5

I was previously told that a npc class adds a CR of 1/2. When my Orc warrior is at lvl 3 his CR is 1.5. What do you do with that when calculating challenge rating for an encounter or splitting XP ?

Curmudgeon
2008-12-11, 08:27 PM
A 027 dispute:

Pounce is not an ability that applies to an attack, such as leap attack, or Shock trooper. It's an ability that modifies an entire action. The specific ability being modified here is a charge attack, which term is distinct from the charge special full-round action that you seem to be confusing it with. Pounce doesn't change the movement part of a charge -- just the attack part. Thus it does fit in the "other abilities apply to your attack" stipulation of Bounding Assault.

Curmudgeon
2008-12-11, 08:39 PM
A 034

For a CR that's halfway between two levels, use the geometric mean of the rewards those two levels yield (the square root of the product of the two rewards). Calculating challenge ratings is trickier, and I don't have a good answer for fractional CRs above 1.

Bulwer
2008-12-11, 11:22 PM
Q35 A so designated because of the other 35 below me

Is there a way to make an orc not be dazzled in sunlight? I was thinking sunglasses.

Q36

If something can be drawn as a free action, can it be put away as one, too?

Laharal
2008-12-11, 11:23 PM
Q35

How come a 4th level ogre barbarian p.199 as a CR of 7

I understand he gets 4 CR because of his 4 lvls as a Barbarian and a + 2 as a level adjustment.... Where is the + 1 from? Because it's a monster class?

Jasdoif
2008-12-11, 11:29 PM
A036

Not with the same ability, no. Even if you can draw it a weapon as a free action with Quick Draw, sheathing it is still a move action (unless something else indicates that putting it away is a free action).

Q35

How come a 4th level ogre barbarian p.199 as a CR of 7

I understand he gets 4 CR because of his 4 lvls as a Barbarian and a + 2 as a level adjustment.... Where is the + 1 from? Because it's a monster class?This is actually Q037.

A037

The basic ogre (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/ogre.htm) has a CR of 3. Adding four PC class levels increases it by 4, for a total of 7.

LA, and ECL factors in general, have no direct effect on CR.

Defiant
2008-12-11, 11:59 PM
A. 037 comment

Indeed, LA is just a measure to help Player Characters.

Q. 038

Suppose that I have a base strength of 2. I have an item that grants me +4 to strength, and thus have 6. Suppose a strength-damaging effect drains 3 strength out of me.

a) Am I helpless?
b) What is my strength?
c) What is my strength if the item is removed and then put back?

Q. 039

Is it possible to cast spells while helpless, assuming you have the appropriate metamagic feats? You'd obviously require Eschew Materials and Still Spell, but would Silent Spell also be required?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-12-12, 01:09 AM
Q 022/025 continuation
It doesn't work in any other way than 2.5+0.5 (other than obscure fractions resulting in the same results for the first 20 levels).

Yes sorry, that is correct.

So was I correct? Would I start gaining skills at my 5th level, also quadrupling at that time (drawing on my Rogue skill points since it's 8 rather than 2)?

Also, thanks a lot to everyone in helping me figure all this out.

Your 1st level is a rogue level, your 5th level and every other level until that point is a sorcerer level, with respect to skill points.
You gain skills points at every level.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-12-12, 01:14 AM
Q. 038

Suppose that I have a base strength of 2. I have an item that grants me +4 to strength, and thus have 6. Suppose a strength-damaging effect drains 3 strength out of me.

a) Am I helpless?
b) What is my strength?
c) What is my strength if the item is removed and then put back?

Ad a) no

Ad b) 3

Ad c) 3 (Even though your str score cannot drop below 0 you still track the total damage.)

Q. 039

Is it possible to cast spells while helpless, assuming you have the appropriate metamagic feats? You'd obviously require Eschew Materials and Still Spell, but would Silent Spell also be required?

Yes.
You are only allowed to take purely mental actions. Speaking requires movement.

Defiant
2008-12-12, 02:24 AM
Q. 025 clarification and continuation

By "your 1st level is a rogue level", you mean that I get quadruple points at my first rogue level?

So then I would have 2+5=7 skill points to spend at 1st ECL level, 7 at 2nd, 7 at 3rd, 7 at 4th, and 4*(8+5)=52 skill points to spend at 5th ECL level, when the Rogue level kicks in?

Would my max ranks for the first 4 levels be equal to (level) or (level+3)? Or is that not applicable since I automatically start everything at 5th level, and would thus just get 7*4+52=70 skill points?

I'm sorry if I keep getting this wrong :smalleek:

If I'm still wrong, could you please just outright say how many skill points I get at what level? Examples tend to work rather well.

Q. 040

How can you move yourself while helpless?

- Levitate can work depending on the situation, although it can only be done vertically -> is there a levitate-like spell that can do it horizontally as well?
- Fly probably gives the character the ability to fly, and based on the blurb, it probably doesn't work while helpless (probably same with overland flight)
- Can you move while in Gaseous Form while helpless?
- Telekinesis seems like it has a good chance of doing this... could you perform telekinesis on yourself and just move yourself around?

Any other spells that would enable you to move yourself around while helpless?

Defiant
2008-12-12, 02:33 AM
Q. 041

What classes have sneak attack (and please also list the level they start getting it)? I could have sworn there are more, but after going through my books, I could only find:

Rogue (1)
Assassin (1)
Mountebank (2)
Arcane Trickster (3)

{Also, sorry for asking so many questions here}

RTGoodman
2008-12-12, 02:41 AM
A 041

From the Lists of Stuff (http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=662842) thread on the Wizards forum (which is a handy tool for this kind of question):

Sneak Attack

Sort of alphabetical, campaign settings books at the bottom of the post

Updated: 7 October 2007

PHB
Rogue 1, 3, 5, 7.../20

DMG
Arcane Trickster: 2, 4, 6, 8, 10/10 (full caster advancement)
Assassin: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9/10 (Death Attack at level 1, gain minor arcane casting)
Blackguard: 4, 7, 10/10 (gain divine casting at level 1, full BAB)

Psionic
Pionic Rogue: 1, 4, 7, 10, 13, 16, 19/20
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040723b

Book of Exalted Deeds
Slayer of Domiel: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9/10 (Death Touch at level 1, gain divine casting at level 1)
Sacred Strike, feat, against evil creatures roll d8 for damage instead of d6

Book of Vile Darkness
Cancer Mage: 1, 5, 9/10
Disciple of Baalzebub: 2, 5, 8/10

Complete Warrior (all full BAB)
Dark Hunter: 3/5 (Death Attack at level 5)
Darkwood Stalker: 3, 6, 9/10 (Death Attack at level 10)
Invisible Blade: 1, 3, 5/5 ("dagger" only, faint as free action 1/round)
Justiciar: 1, 4, 7, 10/10 (nonlethal strike)
Ronin: 1, 4, 7, 10/10

Complete Divine
Black Flame Zealot: 3, 6, 9/10 (Death Attack at 1, advances divine half)
Temple Raider of Olidammara: 2, 5, 8/10 (gain divine spells at level 1)

Complete Adventurer
Ninja: 1, 3, 5, 7.../20 (Sudden Strike)
Spellthief: 1, 5, 9, 13, 17/20 (gains arcane casting at level 4)
Daggerspell Mage: 3, 6, 9/10 (advances arcane 9/10)
Daggerspell Shaper: 3, 6, 9/10 (advances divine 9/10)
Dread Pirate (dishonourable): 3, 7/10 (full BAB)
Ghost-Faced Killer: 2, 5, 8/10 (Sudden Strike, full BAB)
Nightsong Enforcer: 1, 4, 7, 10/10 (full BAB)
Nightsong Infiltrator: 4, 8/10 (Teamwork Sneak Attack)
Shadowbane Inquisitor: 4, 7, 10/10 (full BAB)
Shadowbane Stalker: 3, 6, 9/10 (advances divine 8/10)
Shadowmind: 2, 5, 8/10 (advances manifesting class 7/10)
Spymaster: 3, 6/7
Streetfighter: 3/5

Complete Psionic
Lurk: 2, 7, 12, 17/20 (psionic sneak attack, only functions while psionically focused)
Ebon Saint: 3/5 (sneak attack or psionic sneak attack)

Complete Mage
Unseen Seer 1, 4, 7, 10/10, ecl 6 (either sneak attack, sudden strike, or skirmish; full arcane advancement)

Complete Scoundrel
Avenging Executioner: 1, 3, 5/5 (sudden strike, gain abilities to make opponent flatfooted)
Cloaked Dancer: 2, 4/5 (suprise strike, 3/5 arcane advancement)
Mountebank 2, 5, 8/10, ecl 7, Complete Scoundrel
Psibond 3, 6, 9/10, ecl 8, Complete Scoundrel
Master of Masks 1, 4, 7, 10/10, ecl 6, only while wearing the Assassin Mask
spellwarp sniper 2, 4/5, ecl 8, (sudden raystrike, see text)

Complete Champion
Mythic Examplar (Dardallion): 3, 5, 7, 9/10 (early entry ecl 5, advances casting 4/10)

Deities and Demigods
Justiciar of Taiia: 1, 4, 7, 10/10, ecl 6 (gain minor divine spellcasting at level 1)

Draconomicon
Dragonstalker: 2, 4, 6, 8, 10/10 (gains 2d6 sneak attack each time, only effective against dragons, full BAB)

Dragon Magic:
Hand of the Winged Masters: 2, 5, 8/10, ecl ?? (sneak attack or sudden strike or skirmish)
Dragon Descendant 3 (subtle ancestor), ecl 8: gain 2d6, see text (also stacks for certain monk abilities)

Fiendish Codex II - Tyrants of the Nine Hells:
Hellbreaker 3, 6, 9/10 (can also steal spell-like or supernatural abilities)

Cityscape
Ebonmar Infiltrator: 2, 5, 8/10, ecl 7 (gain minor Int based arcane casting)

Heroes of Battle
Dread Commando: 1, 3, 5/5 (Sudden Strike, full BAB)

Magic of Incarnum
Umbral Disciple: 2, 5, 8/10

Miniatures Handbook
Skullclan Hunter: 3, 6, 9/10 (can "sneak attack" undead at level 2, read "Divine Strike" wording carefully, not actually sneak attack... I think)
Tactical Soldier: read "Flanker" ability

Planar Handbook
Fatemaker: 3, 6, 9/10 (gains minor Cha based arcane casting)

Races of Destiny
Chameleon: see text
Menacing Brute: 3/5 (full BAB)
Scar Enforcer: 3,6,9/10 (advance half caster)

Races of the Dragon
Dragon Devotee 2, 4/5, ecl 7, (either sneak attack, sudden strike, or skirmish; advances sorcerer casting 2/5)

Races of Stone
Blade Bravo: 4, 8/10 (melee only, full BAB)
Stonedeath Assassin: 2, 4/5 (Stonedeath Strike at level 5)

Races of the Wild
Whisperknife: 2, 5, 8/10 (full BAB)

Sandstorm
Scorpion Heritor: 2, 4, 6, 8, 10/10
race: Marrulurk, small Monstrous Humanoid, 3 HD, +1 LA (ECL 4), 2d6 sneak attack

Stormwrack
Scarlet Corsair 2, 6, 10/10 (full BAB, faint as free action once per 2d4 or 1d4 rounds)

Tome of Battle:
Assassin's Stance, Shadow Hand Stance - gain 2d6 sneak attack

Tome of Magic:
Andromalius vestige - see text
Malphas vestige - see text (sudden strike)
Shadowblade 2, 4, 6, 8, 10/10 (sudden strike, at level 3 gain ability to deny opponent their dex bonus)

Expedition to Castle Ravenloft
Rogue 3: "Penetrating Strike" - exchange trapsense for the ability to do half you sneak attack damage against undead

Eberron: Five Nations
Dark Lantern: 2, 4, 6, 8, 10/10

Magic of Eberron
Vigilant Sentinal of Aerenal: 2, 4/5

Eberron: Secrets of Xen'drik
Scorpion Wraith: 1, 3, 5/5 (sudden strike, full BAB)

Eberron: Secrets of Sarlona
Fist of Dal Quor: 1, 3, 5/5 (sudden strike, also gain stunning attacks)

Eberron: Faiths of Eberron
Thief of Life: 2, 6, 10/10

Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting (3.0)
The Divine Seeker: 2, 4/5
Guild Thief: 1, 3, 5/5

FR: Champions of Ruin
Justice of Weald and Woe: 3, 7/10 (death attack at level 10, gain minor diving casting)
Night Mask Deathbringer: 4, 8/10
Shade Hunter: 4, 8/10 (gain minor arcane casting)

FR: Unapproachable East
Thayan Slaver: 4, 7, 10/10

FR: Lords of Darkness
Darkmask: 3/5

FR: Lost Empires of Faerun
Cultists of the Shattered Peak: 2, 4/5 (Death Attack at level 5, gain minor arcane casting)
Magelord: 1, 5, 9/10 (full arcane advancement)

FR: Races of Faerun
Warsling Sniper: 1, 3, 5/6, ecl 6, warsling only

FR: Player's Guide to Faerun
Shadow Thief of Amn: 1, 3, 5/5
Zhentarim Spy: 2, 4/5

FR: Serpent Kingdoms
Fang of Sseth: 1, 4, 7, 10/10

FR: Shining South
Crinti Shadow Marauder: 2, 4/5 (Sudden Strike, gains a "Shadow Pounce" at level 5)

FR: Silver Marches
Orc Scout: 3/5
Peerless Archer: 1, 4, 7, 10/10 (ranged only)

FR: Underdark
Imaskari Vengeance Taker: 3, 5, 7, 9/10 (half arcane advancement)

FR: Drow of the Underdark
Dread Fang of Lloth: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9/10 (sudden strike, full BAB)
Eye of Lloth: 2, 5, 8/10 (half caster)

That also includes PrCs, but you can probably figure out which are which. (Hint: The PrCs are the ones that indicate less than 20 levels, and the number after the "/" in each description is the number of levels.)

Bulwer
2008-12-12, 03:37 AM
Q 042

What 3.5 books have come out after the Spell Compendium that have more or updated spells?

Eloel
2008-12-12, 03:41 AM
Q 043
What classes have 8+Int skill points or more per level? (Including PrCs)

Curmudgeon
2008-12-12, 05:26 AM
A 040 partial

A Still, Silent Gust of Wind spell would, in conjunction with Levitate, let you blow yourself around.
Effect: Line-shaped gust of severe wind emanating out from you to the extreme of the range

In addition to the effects noted, a gust of wind can do anything that a sudden blast of wind would be expected to do. There are also plenty of teleportation spells, like Dimension Hop (Players Handbook II), that will relocate you.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-12-12, 05:42 AM
Q. 025 clarification and continuation

By "your 1st level is a rogue level", you mean that I get quadruple points at my first rogue level?

So then I would have 2+5=7 skill points to spend at 1st ECL level, 7 at 2nd, 7 at 3rd, 7 at 4th, and 4*(8+5)=52 skill points to spend at 5th ECL level, when the Rogue level kicks in?

Would my max ranks for the first 4 levels be equal to (level) or (level+3)? Or is that not applicable since I automatically start everything at 5th level, and would thus just get 7*4+52=70 skill points?

I'm sorry if I keep getting this wrong :smalleek:

If I'm still wrong, could you please just outright say how many skill points I get at what level? Examples tend to work rather well.

Your calculations are correct, except that the rogue level is your first level. You get 4xskill points at 1st ECL, which is a rogue level. This influences your max ranks for your rogue skills when spending your skill points at first level.

With respect to skill points:
ECL 1: Rogue
ECL 2-5: Sorcerer

You have to observe the max ranks limitation as you go along.

I hope that was clear enough:)

Curmudgeon
2008-12-12, 05:45 AM
A 043 partial

Rogue (Players Handbook)
Scout (Complete Adventurer)
Uncanny Trickster Prc (Complete Scoundrel)

Curmudgeon
2008-12-12, 05:49 AM
A 042 partial

The most noticeable subsequent spell additions are in:
Players Handbook II
Complete Mage
Complete Scoundrel
Complete Champion

theterran
2008-12-12, 07:23 AM
Q26

Following Q24

An astral Construct lasts for 1 Round/Level, when its time is up, is it destroyed, or does it just cease to be? Basically, there's a Ectopic Form with a "destroy" trigger and I was wondering if it would be triggered at the end of its "time" if it isn't destroyed otherwise...

This was skipped over on the last page...just reposting

Defiant
2008-12-12, 07:28 AM
Q. 044

With facing removed in 3.5ed, does that mean that while helpless, I can still see just as well in all directions? i.e. I am aware of all enemies within sight.

Curmudgeon
2008-12-12, 08:24 AM
A 044 Yes.

The RAW answer is simple. But if you're looking for a rationalization, perhaps this will help. While you cannot move to a different square or act, some motor functions still operate normally. You breathe, swallow (you don't choke on your own saliva), and have sufficient voluntary muscle coordination to remain standing. You can move your eyes, and with good peripheral vision only a slight amount of head turning is necessary to be aware of your surroundings in all directions.

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-12-12, 08:31 AM
A 44 Expansion

And, when necessary, you can turn on your feet while in the same square, too. It isn't totally limited to those small motions.

Fax Celestis
2008-12-12, 10:25 AM
Q033 Is the Harrow deck (http://paizo.com/pathfinder/pathfinderChronicles/v5748btpy80sv&source=search) made by Paizo covered under the OGL, or is it proprietary? What about the Ravenloft Tarokka deck (http://paizo.com/store/byCompany/w/wizardsOfTheCoast/featuredBrands/ravenloft/roleplaying/aDD2/v5748btpy7mpp&source=search) from Sword and Sorcery? Are there any OGL tarot decks existent within the 3.5/d20 System?

Repost due to not being answered.

Defiant
2008-12-12, 12:28 PM
Q. 045

Is there any way to get more than one contingency (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/contingency.htm)? Any way at all?

Q. 046

Dimension Door

You always arrive at exactly the spot desired—whether by simply visualizing the area or by stating direction.

Can you Contingency Dimension Door? The spell's description implies that you have to decide where you're going, something that might be problematic to decide beforehand with Contingency.

jcsw
2008-12-12, 12:50 PM
A 45

No. But you can try the Contingent Spell item from Complete Arcane.

A 46

Only if you were still in range of the Area. Or if you specified something like "300ft North" for the Dimension Door.

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-12-12, 01:37 PM
A 33

Open Game Content will be labeled as such and must be accompanied by a copy of the Open Game License. As neither a label nor the OGL appear to be present on the free rules download for Harrow, it appears that the game is not Open.

I cannot be sure of the Tarokka, as I am unfamiliar with it. But as it is something that stemmed out of a second edition product (as shown by your link), it would be highly unlikely.

I am unaware of any OGL decks other than those in the d20 SRD (i.e. the deck of many things (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/magicItemsICA.html#deck-of-many-things)).

Fax Celestis
2008-12-12, 01:45 PM
A 33

Open Game Content will be labeled as such and must be accompanied by a copy of the Open Game License. As neither a label nor the OGL appear to be present on the free rules download for Harrow, it appears that the game is not Open.

I cannot be sure of the Tarokka, as I am unfamiliar with it. But as it is something that stemmed out of a second edition product (as shown by your link), it would be highly unlikely.

I am unaware of any OGL decks other than those in the d20 SRD (i.e. the deck of many things (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/magicItemsICA.html#deck-of-many-things)).
Q33Cont The only reason it's a question at all is because there's not only a lack of OGL License--which I could see if it were not an OGL material--but the lack of any copyright/author page at all on the Harrow download. I only downloaded the free 32-page rulebook and not the blank cards download, so the license may be on that, but its still strange.

As for the Deck of Many Things...Hm. I may have to consider that.

rubycona
2008-12-12, 04:21 PM
Q 047

Hate to ask a dumb question, but spells / ranged touch attacks, how do those work again? Wasn't it relevant modifier (IE Int for wiz) + BAB? Or was caster level in there somewhere... I can't seem to find it >.>

Thanks.

Jasdoif
2008-12-12, 04:24 PM
A047

Like any other ranged attack, you use your BAB + Dex (and any relevant modifiers) when making a ranged touch attack roll.

Curmudgeon
2008-12-12, 06:09 PM
A 047 additional
With a ranged weapon, your attack bonus is:

Base attack bonus + Dexterity modifier + size modifier + range penalty
For a ranged touch spell, there can be no range penalty; spells have one fixed maximum range, in contrast to thrown weapons (5 x range increment maximum) or projectile weapons (10 x range increment maximum).
Touch Attacks

Touching an opponent with a touch spell is considered to be an armed attack and therefore does not provoke attacks of opportunity. However, the act of casting a spell does provoke an attack of opportunity. Touch attacks come in two types: melee touch attacks and ranged touch attacks. You can score critical hits with either type of attack. Your opponent’s AC against a touch attack does not include any armor bonus, shield bonus, or natural armor bonus. His size modifier, Dexterity modifier, and deflection bonus (if any) all apply normally.

powerdemon
2008-12-12, 06:42 PM
Q 48

Do PC characters get more than one Craft skill as a class skill or just one?

IE can A character have 2 different crafts as class skills?

Q 49

I know the answer is probably no, but why not.

A shield guardian has store spell. If there is no spell stored in it, and an enemy casts a spell on it, can it store that spell? I ask because spell storing weapons, you just cast a spell on the weapon.

Fax Celestis
2008-12-12, 06:47 PM
A48 The Craft skill, unless otherwise stated as a subtype of Craft, means Craft (any), and multiple versions of it may be purchased. However, ranks invested in one Craft do not affect another, so that Craft (Trapmaking) 6 and Craft (Weaponsmithing) 4 costs 10 skill points.

Curmudgeon
2008-12-12, 07:08 PM
A 049

Assuming you mean a shield guardian, the answer is maybe.
Spell Storing (Sp)

A shield guardian can store one spell of 4th level or lower that is cast into it by another creature. It "casts" this spell when commanded to do so or when a predefined situation arises. Once this spell is used, the shield guardian can store another spell (or the same spell again). Casts "on it" and "into it" are different. Assuming this ability works as defined for magic weapons except where stated otherwise, the spell must be a targeted one that takes 1 standard action to cast. A shield guardian caught in the area of a Fireball could not store that spell, for instance.
Spell Storing

A spell storing weapon allows a spellcaster to store a single targeted spell of up to 3rd level in the weapon. (The spell must have a casting time of 1 standard action.) Any time the weapon strikes a creature and the creature takes damage from it, the weapon can immediately cast the spell on that creature as a free action if the wielder desires. (This special ability is an exception to the general rule that casting a spell from an item takes at least as long as casting that spell normally.) Once the spell has been cast from the weapon, a spellcaster can cast any other targeted spell of up to 3rd level into it. The weapon magically imparts to the wielder the name of the spell currently stored within it. A randomly rolled spell storing weapon has a 50% chance to have a spell stored in it already.

powerdemon
2008-12-12, 07:14 PM
A 049

Assuming you mean a shield guardian, the answer is maybe. Casts "on it" and "into it" are different. Assuming this ability works as defined for magic weapons except where stated otherwise, the spell must be a targeted one that takes 1 standard action to cast. A shield guardian caught in the area of a Fireball could not store that spell, for instance.

Yes I did mean guardian. Thanks. The ability sounds the same as the weapon ability. The description of the ability in the MM says nothing about HOW to store the spell so I assume it is the same as the weapon enhancement.

As a DM I would probably say that you would have to intend to store the spell. I was just curious of the battle capability of that ability. It would be cool to just trap a spell then send it back, though I am 95% sure that that is NOT what it was intended for.

Q 50

My MM says that the vampire template adds LA +8. Is this a misprint? (it's really high!) Would this mean a Lvl 1 Human vampire fighter has an ECL 9?

Fax Celestis
2008-12-12, 07:25 PM
A50 Correct. The Vampire template has a lot of benefits, particularly for sneaky rogue-type characters.

Thankfully, LA only applies to PCs: monsters ignore LA.

powerdemon
2008-12-12, 07:27 PM
Ok, thanks. Yeah my friend has an evil campaign going and a player wanted to be a vampire until they saw the LA :P. I was just double checking for him since I've seen typos in the MM before. Thanks again.

powerdemon
2008-12-12, 08:58 PM
Q 51

Is there a Dire template that you can add to monsters? I can't find one in my MM.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-12-12, 09:02 PM
A 51

No. I'm sure I've seen a homebrew one that tries to do it, but Dire Animals don't compare in any consistent way with normal ones. Some even gain new natural attacks. Sorry.

powerdemon
2008-12-12, 09:03 PM
No problem. A no answer is better than no answer :smallbiggrin:.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-12-12, 09:04 PM
No problem. A no answer is better than no answer :smallbiggrin:.Yep. words

Defiant
2008-12-12, 09:11 PM
No problem. A no answer is better than no answer.

That statement is not confusing at all! :smalltongue:

In regards to Vampires, what I've usually seen done is some sort of homebrew/houserule that nerfs them slightly to bring it down to a more manageable LA.

Defiant
2008-12-12, 09:53 PM
Q. 052

Must a Contingent Spell be drawn from the arcane spell list (Sorcerer/Wizard spells)? Can it be a Cleric spell, for example?

Jasdoif
2008-12-12, 10:03 PM
A052

Nothing in the description of Contingent Spells, nor the feat required for their creation, states that they are limited to arcane spells. So divine spells are also valid.

Douglas
2008-12-12, 10:18 PM
A52 expanded
In the case of Crafted Contingent Spells (Complete Arcane), you must have the Craft Contingent Spell feat and you must be able to cast the spell you want to make contingent. Other than that, there are no restrictions. A Bard, Cleric, Druid, or (just to be weird) Assassin could all make Crafted Contingent Spells.

In the case of the Contingency spell, you have to be able to cast both Contingency and the spell to be made contingent, and the chosen spell must be sufficiently low level and must target you. Satisfying these conditions with a divine spell usually requires either multiclassing or taking the Time domain, but it can be done.

Defiant
2008-12-12, 10:24 PM
Q. 053

How does Contingency and Contingent Spell work on objects? Contingency is "Personal" and Contingent Spell is limited to the amount of Hit Dice... but I hear a lot of people talk about making their spellbooks disappear and stuff if touched by someone else.

Douglas
2008-12-12, 10:35 PM
A53
They don't. For any such discussions to have RAW validity, they must use other things. For example, Explosive Runes, Fire Trap, Sepia Snake Sigil, any of the various Symbol spells, the Spelltrapped spellbook property on page 141 of Complete Arcane, etc.

I wouldn't recommend Explosive Runes for this purpose, though, as the spellbook takes the damage too and would probably be destroyed completely.

Defiant
2008-12-12, 10:48 PM
Q. 054

Can one take a 5-foot step while flying? I.e. moving 5 feet through either dimension as a non-action.

Upon close inspection, it does indeed seem that one can make oneself fall as a free action, since stopping and resuming flight is a free action. But what about while hovering, assuming that you can hover, moving 5 feet horizontally?

Mando Knight
2008-12-12, 11:22 PM
Q. 054

Can one take a 5-foot step while flying? I.e. moving 5 feet through either dimension as a non-action.

Upon close inspection, it does indeed seem that one can make oneself fall as a free action, since stopping and resuming flight is a free action. But what about while hovering, assuming that you can hover, moving 5 feet horizontally?

A. 054 Since you're hovering, I'd assume so... I don't have 3.5 rulebooks, but the 4e DMG is completely silent on the matter of whether you can use its 5' step (shifting) while flying. There's probably rules in a book focused on flying creatures, especially the smaller ones. (dragons probably almost never shift in 4e, possibly 5' step in 3.5 when making a full attack...)

BTW: @ your sig: it's impossible. Was that the point?

monty
2008-12-12, 11:26 PM
A 054

You may not take a 5-foot step using a form of movement for which you do not have a listed speed.

This very strongly implies that you can, in fact, take a 5-foot step while flying, as long as you have a fly speed (how you'd be flying without one, I don't know).

Eloel
2008-12-13, 03:27 AM
Q 0055
Are there rules for combining 2 half races? Half-elf half-orc for example?

Curmudgeon
2008-12-13, 04:30 AM
A 055

You cannot combine half-human races with other half-human races. Half-elf and half-orc are both half-human. There is no orc-elf provision in the rules, so the assumption is that these races may interbreed with humans but not with each other. An offspring of a half-elf and half-human could be any of the following:
nonexistent
human
half-elf
half-orc

You can, however, apply any number of half- templates, such as half-dragon and half-celestial, as long as you meet all the requirements. So a half-celestial half-elf would be possible.

KillianHawkeye
2008-12-13, 08:21 AM
Q 50

My MM says that the vampire template adds LA +8. Is this a misprint? (it's really high!) Would this mean a Lvl 1 Human vampire fighter has an ECL 9?

Note that the vampire template requires a creature with at least 5 HD, so you could not be a vampire at level 1 (with ECL 9).

theterran
2008-12-13, 11:00 AM
Q56

When the length of a summon spell expires, is the creature summoned considered "destroyed", or does it just cease to be? I ask specifically for the feat Ectopic Form (Anathemic Carapace) from Complete Psionic.

powerdemon
2008-12-13, 11:03 AM
A 56

They just go back to their original plane, they do not die.

Q 57

Is natural armor included in touch AC?

EDIT:

A 57

No it's not.

monty
2008-12-13, 12:26 PM
A 055 continued

You can't combine the base half-races without homebrew rules, but you can combine one or more half-templates. According to...I want to say Savage Species, if you have more than two halves, reduce the numbers accordingly. For example, a half-celestial half-dragon human would turn out to be 1/4 celestial, 1/4 dragon, 1/2 human, or some similar combination.

So that you don't make the mathemeticians cry, it's important that you only use fractions with powers of two in the denominator (1/2, 1/4, 3/8, etc.) in your ancestry.

Laharal
2008-12-13, 01:20 PM
Q58

D&D 3.5

When can I find the standard rules for a wall jump/wall backflip after running ? I know there is the wall jumper feat in Complete Scoundrel but I'd like the basic rules...

Thanks

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-12-13, 01:28 PM
A. 058

Wall Jumper is a skill trick and is pretty much the basic rules for such a feat.

You could argue that without the trick you would be treated as not having a running start.

rubycona
2008-12-13, 03:42 PM
Q 59

With a touch attack, such as the spell Shocking Grasp, what's the ATB again? Dex or Str + BAB? I'm like 99% sure it's dex + BAB...

Edit: Holy crap, that is retarded. IMO, anyway.

powerdemon
2008-12-13, 03:48 PM
Q 59

With a touch attack, such as the spell Shocking Grasp, what's the ATB again? Dex or Str + BAB? I'm like 99% sure it's dex + BAB...

BAB + Str. If it's a ranged touch, then it's Dex

Curmudgeon
2008-12-13, 03:58 PM
A 059 additional

If you have the Weapon Finesse feat, you may use either DEX or STR as your modifier for melee attacks with light weapons. Unarmed attacks, including touch attacks, always count as light weapons.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-12-13, 04:20 PM
A. 059 little bit more info

A 059 additional

If you have the Weapon Finesse feat, you may use either DEX or STR as your modifier for melee attacks with light weapons. Unarmed attacks, including touch attacks, always count as light weapons.

That also includes natural weapons.

Zer Kaizer
2008-12-13, 09:14 PM
I have a quick question. In 4th ed, do wizards have different schools of magic they could specialize in?

Mando Knight
2008-12-13, 09:19 PM
I have a quick question. In 4th ed, do wizards have different schools of magic they could specialize in?

Nope. Well, not directly. The closest you can get now is choosing powers related to your preferred school.

However, considering the amount of material in Martial Power, I wouldn't be surprised if something like that appeared in Arcane Power.

Defiant
2008-12-13, 11:28 PM
Q. 060

Is there anything from any book that helps protect against dispel magic? For example, an item that would give you +5 against dispel magic and greater dispel magic (i.e. dispel check of d20+caster level must overcome 11+caster level+5 or whatever bonus the item gives)

Douglas
2008-12-13, 11:45 PM
A60
The Dispelling Buffer (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/dispellingBuffer.htm) psionic power gives a +5 bonus to dispel DCs for an hour per level. The Ring of Enduring Arcana from Complete Mage gives +4.

Other than that, just find ways to increase your caster level in general. There's a pretty comprehensive list (http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=615672) over on the WotC forums.

Magnor Criol
2008-12-14, 01:38 AM
Q61 (DnD 3.5)

I was creating some NPCs when I noticed a curiosity in the rules for creating a familiar.

Use the familiar’s Dexterity or Strength modifier, whichever is greater, to get the familiar’s melee attack bonus with natural weapons.

So do I use the creature's higher Dex mod even if it doesn't have Weapon Finesse as a bonus feat?

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-12-14, 01:40 AM
A61

Yep. wordiness

Laharal
2008-12-14, 04:21 AM
Q62

DnD 3.5

How can you blind somebody? Is throwing sand or pebbles in the ennemy's faces ok? What is the save needed by the target.. Any rules or methods to blind someone?

Curmudgeon
2008-12-14, 04:40 AM
A 062

Falling Star Strike is a feat from Oriental Adventures that gives you a chance to blind your opponent with an unarmed strike. Sand Dancer is a feat from Sandstorm that enables you to blind your opponent with thrown sand. A Flashbang is a combat trap from Complete Scoundrel that has a chance to blind an opponent. Mostly, though, it takes magic to blind someone: the Blindness/Deafness spell is the obvious choice.

Defiant
2008-12-14, 09:40 AM
Q. 063

Can you limited wish for a second contingency spell that works as another contingency on you (I know it would probably be up to the DM, I'm asking if it's reasonable)?

I.e. I cast contingency spell of bull's strength.
I limited wish for another contingency spell that would stack with my previous one, of bear's endurance.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-12-14, 12:11 PM
A. 063

Whether things are reasonable is a little outside the scope of this thread.

I suggest you start a new thread so this does not end up in a page long debate about balance.

Eloel
2008-12-14, 12:41 PM
Q064
How can we find racial traits for monsters from MM2? Particularly Sylph.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-12-14, 12:46 PM
A. 064

WotC published an update booklet (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/20030718a) for the MM II.

Eloel
2008-12-14, 12:50 PM
Q064 continued
Now I can see Sylph is LA+5. I don't see anything else racial-trait-wise. Any chance of help?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-12-14, 01:37 PM
Q064 continued
Now I can see Sylph is LA+5. I don't see anything else racial-trait-wise. Any chance of help?

They are Outsiders with the Air subtype as listed in their entry.

Those traits are given in the MM (and can be found in the SRD also). Other than that all information is available from the booklet and the original statblock.

Outsider Type: An outsider is at least partially composed of the essence (but not necessarily the material) of some plane other than the Material Plane. Some creatures start out as some other type and become outsiders when they attain a higher (or lower) state of spiritual existence.

Features: An outsider has the following features.

8-sided Hit Dice.

Base attack bonus equal to total Hit Dice (as fighter).

Good Fortitude, Reflex, and Will saves.

Skill points equal to (8 + Int modifier, minimum 1) per Hit Die, with quadruple skill points for the first Hit Die.

Traits: An outsider possesses the following traits (unless otherwise noted in a creature’s entry).

Darkvision out to 60 feet.

Unlike most other living creatures, an outsider does not have a dual nature—its soul and body form one unit. When an outsider is slain, no soul is set loose. Spells that restore souls to their bodies, such as raise dead, reincarnate, and resurrection, don’t work on an outsider. It takes a different magical effect, such as limited wish, wish, miracle, or true resurrection to restore it to life. An outsider with the native subtype can be raised, reincarnated, or resurrected just as other living creatures can be.

Proficient with all simple and martial weapons and any weapons mentioned in its entry.

Proficient with whatever type of armor (light, medium, or heavy) it is described as wearing, as well as all lighter types. Outsiders not indicated as wearing armor are not proficient with armor. Outsiders are proficient with shields if they are proficient with any form of armor.

Outsiders breathe, but do not need to eat or sleep (although they can do so if they wish). Native outsiders breathe, eat, and sleep.

monty
2008-12-14, 01:42 PM
A 60

The spellblade weapon enchantment from Player's Guide to Faerun gives immunity to one spell (with the bonus of allowing you to redirect it to another target if it is cast on you). Unfortunately, you can only use this to protect against a targeted dispel magic; the area version would still be able to affect you.

Eloel
2008-12-14, 01:49 PM
They are Outsiders with the Air subtype as listed in their entry.

Those traits are given in the MM (and can be found in the SRD also). Other than that all information is available from the booklet and the original statblock.

Unless we're assuming 10 base for everything, which I don't think we should, it doesn't give us the ability adjustments. (or, do we assume all odds as started at 11, all evens started at 10?)

monty
2008-12-14, 01:52 PM
Unless we're assuming 10 base for everything, which I don't think we should, it doesn't give us the ability adjustments. (or, do we assume all odds as started at 11, all evens started at 10?)

Yes, you are right. 11 for odd, 10 for even.

Eloel
2008-12-14, 01:56 PM
Yes, you are right. 11 for odd, 10 for even.

And how are we supposed to determine skill bonuses?

I found HD, nvm :)

Laharal
2008-12-14, 02:13 PM
Q65

Is there a way (feat, item, book) to enable a rogue to sneak attack when he can do an attack of oportunity which doesn't put the target flat-footed (ex: loading a crossbow, etc...)

Q66

Can I perform a coup de grace on a target which isn't aware of me? Is he/she considered helpless?

ex: The classic sneak behind the guard: He is facing X and I manage to move silently and get right behind him. Logically you could try to twist his neck, cut his throat, pierce his heart, etc.

Defiant
2008-12-14, 02:19 PM
A. 066

Negative. Target must be helpless in some way (such as helpless, paralyzed, etc.). Extra damage from taking advantage of an opponent being completely unaware is reflected by sneak attack damage.

Eloel
2008-12-14, 02:22 PM
A66
No, that's what sneak attack is for.

Edit: Sniped (kinda, was busy :))

powerdemon
2008-12-14, 02:23 PM
Q 67

On damage reduction:

A character with DR 5/Magic, does that mean spells as well?

monty
2008-12-14, 02:26 PM
A 65

There's an epic feat (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/feats.htm#sneakAttackOfOpportunity) that does that, but no other way that I know of.

Jasdoif
2008-12-14, 02:27 PM
A067

Magical effects in general are not subject to DR.
The creature takes normal damage from energy attacks (even nonmagical ones), spells, spell-like abilities, and supernatural abilities.

monty
2008-12-14, 02:30 PM
A 67 continued

Exceptions would be things like launch bolt that actually damage them with a physical object.

powerdemon
2008-12-14, 02:31 PM
Q 67 addition

What about DR/-? Same thing? Just physical?

So in a nutshell, DR is for physical attacks, Energy resistance is for magic?

Does the fire from a flaming weapon count against DR or no?

(thanks in advance.)

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-12-14, 02:37 PM
A. 067 Continued

Q 67 addition

So in a nutshell, DR is for physical attacks, Energy resistance is for magic?

Does the fire from a flaming weapon count against DR or no?

(thanks in advance.)

Yes, and flaming counts as energy damage and is not subject to DR.

monty
2008-12-14, 02:37 PM
A 67 more

Yes, DR /- will only affect physical.

Energy resistance is for energy damage. Magic that does non-energy damage, such as magic missile, is unaffected by either.

The fire from a flaming weapon would be affected by fire resistance, not DR. Hardness is a different story, but it doesn't come up as often, at least in games I've played.

Jasdoif
2008-12-14, 02:39 PM

So in a nutshell, DR is for physical attacks, Energy resistance is for magic?Correct, again in general.

Does the fire from a flaming weapon count against DR or no?No. The fire is energy damage, which isn't subject to DR. Even the single point of nonmagical fire damage caused by using a lit torch as an improvised weapon will bypass DR.

EDIT: ...Double-ninjaed. I'VE BEEN FLANKED! :smalleek:

powerdemon
2008-12-14, 02:39 PM
Thank you very much guys. That helps a lot :smallbiggrin:.

Egiam
2008-12-14, 07:46 PM
Q 68
DND 3.5
Do mage armor and shield spells stack? I don't think they should, but I can't see why they wouldn't. One is a shield AC modifyer and the other is armor.

Defiant
2008-12-14, 07:50 PM
Q. 069

Tower Shield:

However, you can instead use it as total cover, though you must give up your attacks to do so.

Does that mean that you can take a standard action and a move action or a full-round action as long as none of them are attacks?

Q. 070

Charge and Withdraw

May be taken as a standard action if you are limited to taking only a single action in a round.

Does a surprise round count as limited to taking only a single action in a round? I.e. Can you charge in a surprise round?

Q. 071

Suppose that you are a human spellcaster. You have a Permanency Reduce Person applied to yourself (the type that costs 500XP). Your size is now small. Can you cast enlarge person twice to bring yourself up to large?

Enlarge person counters and dispels reduce person, so the first one should have dispelled the Permanency Reduce Person, although only for a limited time. You would thereafter cast it again on your unchanged size.

Q. 072

Can a contingency spell be based on something specific occurring such as a particular spell being cast on you? For example, can you make a spell of Bull's Strength contingent on you being "spelled" with Bear's Endurance? i.e. You get two buffs for the action-price of one by casting BE on yourself, activating the BS strength.

Q. 073

When using the Tower Shield's total cover, can you still see in all directions perfectly unimpeded? I.e. I'm using the shield for total cover as I advance down a narrow hallway, but also want to see what's in front of me.

Defiant
2008-12-14, 07:53 PM
Q 68
DND 3.5
Do mage armor and shield spells stack? I don't think they should, but I can't see why they wouldn't. One is a shield AC modifyer and the other is armor.

A. 068

You are correct. Bonuses of different types stack. Bonuses from/of the same type only receive the highest bonus of that type.

Bear in mind that mage armor does not stack with regular armor such as that worn (since they're both armor bonuses) and shield does not stack with regular shields handled in your hand (since they're both shield bonuses).

Douglas
2008-12-14, 08:34 PM
A69
The RAW on this is not clear. I, personally, would say that the requirement to "give up your attacks" requires spending the action that attacking would require - a standard action at the least - but it could also just be a reminder that total cover goes both ways and you can't attack anything through the tower shield.

A70
Yes. You can charge, but as per the rules for a standard action charge you can only move up to your speed rather than double your speed. Unless you have Quick Draw you would also have to have your weapon already drawn.

A71
Yes, but note that Enlarge Person dispels Reduce Person, it does not merely suppress it. The Permanency Reduce Person would be gone completely.

If you cast the Reduce Person and Permanency yourself and have not increased your caster level since then, the first Enlarge Person would attempt to dispel the Reduce Person and fail due to Permanency's clause about dispelling spells made Permanent on yourself. The second would then also fail for the same reason because the Permanency and Reduce Person are still there.

A72
Yes. The conditions for a Contingency can be as general or specific as you like, though they must be clear.

A73
Total cover blocks both line of effect and line of sight unless you are literally able to see through the shield for some reason. For example, if the shield is made of a transparent material like Glassteel (Champions of Valor page 65), you would be able to use the shield as described. With a normal steel shield you would not.

Lunix Vandal
2008-12-14, 11:14 PM
Q. 74 (47/59 continuation, kinda-sorta) D&D 3.5: I'm a little confused as to what all goes into the touch attacks allowed by Produce Flame, specifically the damage rolls. As I read it, the damage roll is 1d6 + Caster level (max +5) + Str mod (since it's considered either a melee attack or a thrown weapon). Yes/no/maybe so?

Q. 74 B If so, a 1st-level Human Druid with DEX 12 and STR 8 using Produce Flame's ranged touch attack would have an attack roll of 1d20+1 vs. Touch AC and a damage roll of 1d6 (+0) fire damage -- or 1d6+2 with Weapon Finesse, correct?

Q. 74 C Are touch attacks from spells (such as the aforementioned Produce Flame) subject to threats and subsequent critical hits with a natural 20 on the attack roll?

Jasdoif
2008-12-14, 11:29 PM
A074

The spell lists its damage as 1d6 + 1 per caster level (max +5). Therefore its damage is 1d6 + 1 per caster level (max +5). It does not mention adding your strength modifier anywhere, so you do not add your strength modifier.

A074b

A ranged touch attack uses your BAB + Dex, like any other ranged attack roll that doesn't specify an alternate attack roll formula. As a first-level druid with Dex 12, this makes your attack roll 1d20+1 (0 for BAB, +1 for Dex). As mentioned above, you damage roll is unaffected by your strength modifier, so it's 1d6 + 1.

Weapon Finesse only applies to melee attack rolls, so it makes no difference here.

A074c

Yes, spells delivered through touch attacks (melee or ranged) can score critical hits. They threaten on a natural 20, and deal double damage on a confirmed critical.

arguskos
2008-12-15, 09:32 AM
Q75:
Note: This is for D&D 3.5e

Is there a feat that grants Dexterity to damage with thrown weapons in place of, or in addition to, Strength? If so, could you please give a quick description of said feat, and where I can find it for myself?

Thanks.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-12-15, 09:56 AM
A 75

A few methods. There's a Fighter variant from Dragon 310, the Dead Eye feat, Shadow Blade feat, making the weapon Fey-Craft, and a few others. I recommend bookmarking the X Stat to Y Bonus (http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=320889) thread for these questions, it's very complete.

Gorbash
2008-12-15, 10:47 AM
Q 76

Battlefist class ability of the Renegade Master Maker says:

At 2nd level, your battlefist becomes a magic weapon and gains a +1 enhancement bonus on attack rolls and damage rolls. This bonus improves by 1 at 5th level and again at 9th level. A battlefist with a +1 or greater enhancement bonus can be further enhanced or improved with Craft Magic Arms and Armor just as if it were a magic weapon.

Now, since the bonus improves by 1, and it doesn't say that it becomes +2, does that mean that if I enchant my battlefist between levels 2 and 5 to become a +2 Battlefist, does it become a +3 battlefist once I hit lvl 5 of the Renegade Master Maker?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-12-15, 01:25 PM
Q 76

Battlefist class ability of the Renegade Master Maker says:

Now, since the bonus improves by 1, and it doesn't say that it becomes +2, does that mean that if I enchant my battlefist between levels 2 and 5 to become a +2 Battlefist, does it become a +3 battlefist once I hit lvl 5 of the Renegade Master Maker?

Yes, but often one would like to spend gold on special enhancements instead.

Gorbash
2008-12-15, 06:24 PM
That's why God invented weapon infusions. :D

Egiam
2008-12-15, 06:44 PM
Q 77.
DND 3.5
What are the requirements for using a wand without use magic device checks?

monty
2008-12-15, 06:50 PM
A 77

The spell must be on your class spell list, but you can use it even if you cannot yet cast the spell (in other words, a first level wizard could still use a wand with a fourth level wizard spell).

Eternal wands are slightly different, in that they can only hold arcane spells, but any arcane caster can use them. For example, a bard could make an eternal wand of CLW, and a wizard could use it.

Defiant
2008-12-15, 07:02 PM
A 77

The spell must be on your class spell list, but you can use it even if you cannot yet cast the spell (in other words, a first level wizard could still use a wand with a fourth level wizard spell).

Eternal wands are slightly different, in that they can only hold arcane spells, but any arcane caster can use them. For example, a bard could make an eternal wand of CLW, and a wizard could use it.

A. 077 comment

Bear in mind that a wizard cannot use a wand from a forbidden school.

Egiam
2008-12-15, 07:07 PM
Q 78.
What is the effective caster lvl of a wand, the caster or the wand lvl?

Douglas
2008-12-15, 07:16 PM
The caster level of a spell cast from a wand is determined by the wand and is usually the minimum required to cast the spell. The wand's user's level is irrelevant.

powerdemon
2008-12-15, 07:19 PM
Q 78.
What is the effective caster lvl of a wand, the caster or the wand lvl?

The caster decides when he makes the wand. It ranges from minimum required to cast the spell, to the CL of the creator. Like douglas said, it's usually the minimum.

monty
2008-12-15, 07:19 PM
A 78

The cost to buy a wand is 750 x spell level x caster level. Divide the cost of the wand by (750 x spell level), and you can get its caster level.

powerdemon
2008-12-15, 07:53 PM
Q 79
From the Dervish from Complete Warrior:

If a dervish wields a slashing weapon while in a dervish dance...

A dervish may only perform a dervish dance while wielding a slashing weapon...
(Emphasis mine)

Which is it :smalltongue:?

Douglas
2008-12-15, 08:12 PM
A79
Technically those two statements do not conflict. You may only perform a a dervish dance while wielding a slashing weapon, and you get certain benefits if you are wielding a slashing weapon when dervish dancing. The condition for the "if" is always true, but that doesn't make it any less valid - just redundant.

powerdemon
2008-12-15, 08:15 PM
Q 80

First, is there a place to look on a book to find what version it is, mainly 3.0 or 3.5?

Second, what version is Defenders of the Faith?

monty
2008-12-15, 08:19 PM
A 80

Generally, it will say somewhere in the first couple of pages.

Defenders of the Faith is 3.0

powerdemon
2008-12-15, 08:23 PM
Do you have a specific place to look? I've looked a few times on the pages up to the Index.

Q 81

A friend of mine was telling me about a variant rule for wizards and sorcerers that gives up their familiar for other bonuses. It wasn't a feat, just a variant. Any ideas what it is and what book it's in? Thanks again. (It's not the specialist wizard variant from Unearthed Arcana)

monty
2008-12-15, 08:28 PM
Picking a book at random...Complete Arcane has it on the Credits page: "This product uses updated material from the v.3.5 revision."

A 81

There's lots of alternate class features that give up the familiar. You'll need to be more specific than that.

Douglas
2008-12-15, 08:30 PM
A81
That would be PHBII. Specialist wizards can give up their familiar for a fairly weak (except for conjuration, which is brokenly powerful) magical ability. Sorcerers can trade in the familiar for the ability to use metamagic without increased casting time a limited number of times per day.

powerdemon
2008-12-15, 08:31 PM
That's it douglas! Thanks. @ Monty, I couldn't remember anything more specific.

monty
2008-12-15, 08:35 PM
For the future, http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=967118 is good for reference.

powerdemon
2008-12-15, 08:39 PM
Sweet, thanks!

RTGoodman
2008-12-15, 09:12 PM
A 80 Continued

As far as I know, all books published by WotC after June 2003 were for v3.5 (until whenever 4E came out, anyway). You should be able to find the the publication info on one of the first few pages, or online at WotC's site. (Just Google the book title and site:wizards.com).

monty
2008-12-15, 10:41 PM
Q 82

Can a thri-kreen dual-wield two-handed weapons (let's see how many hyphens we can use in a sentence)? If so, what would the associated penalties be, and would it still gain the standard two-handed bonuses (1.5x strength and so on)?

Jasdoif
2008-12-15, 10:59 PM
A082

The Multiweapon Fighting feat references the Two-Weapon fighting section, which doesn't prohibit the use of two-handed weapons. The FAQ also an entry indicating that you can use a two-handed weapon while two-weapon fighting...
If you use the full attack
action, you can use armor spikes as either a primary light
weapon or as an off-hand light weapon, even if you’re using a
shield or using a two-handed weapon.
...so I see no reason why you couldn't wield multiple two-handed weapons if you have the necessary hands for them all.

The penalties would be -4/-4, since a two-handed weapon is not a light weapon (thus you don't get the penalty reduction for using a light weapon in the offhand).

The equipment rules state that light and one-handed weapons only add half your Str modifier to damage when used in the offhand. Since no such text exists for two-handed weapons, two-handed weapons would retain their full one-and-a-half Str modifier to damage when used as an offhand attack.

powerdemon
2008-12-15, 11:18 PM
Each off hand only adds 1/2 strength, and the main hand is full strength. So you would get main hand of times 1 str, plus one offhand (at 1/2 str) for a net 1.5 on your main weapon, then 1 on the other weapon (1/2 + 1/2) if both are wielded 2 handed. I believe this was covered near the Thri-kreen entry in the complete psionic, but I'm not sure.

SoD
2008-12-15, 11:36 PM
Q. 83

How does the CR for a half-ogre (from RoD) work? Is it written anywhere?

[not RAW]I'm thinking of using the same system as it does for a drow, does this seem reasonable?[/not RAW].

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-12-16, 12:52 AM
A. 083

I do not think it is. You might find an adventure featuring one, but CR +1 seems about right in my opinion.

Project_Mayhem
2008-12-16, 12:27 PM
Q 84 Does a Warblade's weapon aptitude apply to exotic weapon proficiency?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-12-16, 12:41 PM
A. 084

Q 84 Does a Warblade's weapon aptitude apply to exotic weapon proficiency?

It depends how you view the standard proficiencies gained from class. If you read them as several separate feats applying to say each martial weapon individually it is possible. However, if you view it as one type applying to all you cannot meet the requirement that the feat you change only apply to one weapon.

Of course, if you had taken exotic weapon proficiency already you could change that to another.

arguskos
2008-12-16, 01:21 PM
Q89:

Does a creature made into a skeleton lose Regeneration? For example, say I have a half-black dragon war troll. If I make it a skeleton (using the Skeleton template from MM1), is it now immune to hit point damage, lethal or otherwise?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-12-16, 01:24 PM
A. 089

Regeneration is lost along with most other special qualities.

Special Qualities: A skeleton loses most special qualities of the base creature. It retains any extraordinary special qualities that improve its melee or ranged attacks. A skeleton gains the following special qualities.

Immunity to Cold (Ex): Skeletons are not affected by cold.

Damage Reduction 5/Bludgeoning: Skeletons lack flesh or internal organs.

monty
2008-12-16, 02:56 PM
A 89

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#regeneration

A creature must have a Constitution score to have the regeneration ability.

'nuff said.

Project_Mayhem
2008-12-16, 03:21 PM
Of course, if you had taken exotic weapon proficiency already you could change that to another.

I think this is where I was coming from. So I only need to take Exotic Weapon Prof. X once, and can then switch it by meditating.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-12-16, 03:27 PM
I think this is where I was coming from. So I only need to take Exotic Weapon Prof. X once, and can then switch it by meditating.

Indeed.:smallsmile:

Defiant
2008-12-16, 03:43 PM
Q. 090

Suppose I am a high level wizard (7th level spell casting). I have the empower metamagic feat, but I don't have maximize metamagic feat. I am holding a lesser rod of maximize (works on 3rd level spells and below). Can I cast an empowered maximized fireball (3rd level spell)? i.e. Does adding metamagic feats to a spell increase the spell level for the purposes of rod usage?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-12-16, 03:52 PM
A. 090

Yes, you can cast it and no, it does not count as a spell of a higher level for the purpose of Rod use.

Effects of Metamagic Feats on a Spell: In all ways, a metamagic spell operates at its original spell level, even though it is prepared and cast as a higher-level spell.

monty
2008-12-16, 04:08 PM
A 90 continued

The exception would be, of course, Heighten Spell.

KillianHawkeye
2008-12-16, 05:07 PM
Q. 91

Each off hand only adds 1/2 strength, and the main hand is full strength. So you would get main hand of times 1 str, plus one offhand (at 1/2 str) for a net 1.5 on your main weapon, then 1 on the other weapon (1/2 + 1/2) if both are wielded 2 handed. I believe this was covered near the Thri-kreen entry in the complete psionic, but I'm not sure.

So would this mean that a Thri-Kreen who somehow wielded a weapon with all 4 hands would be able to add (1 + .5 + .5 + .5) = 2.5 * Str bonus to his weapon damage?? I can just imagine the uber-cheese...

powerdemon
2008-12-16, 06:45 PM
Q. 91

So would this mean that a Thri-Kreen who somehow wielded a weapon with all 4 hands would be able to add (1 + .5 + .5 + .5) = 2.5 * Str bonus to his weapon damage?? I can just imagine the uber-cheese...

Yes, that would be accurate. You have to have the weapon specially made though.

Defiant
2008-12-16, 11:02 PM
Q. 092

"You must wear the focus" is said in Contingency. Can the focus be in an extradimensional pocket held by you, such as a bag of holding?

Q. 093

Are there any spell completion objects unlimited? i.e. No charge limit

Curmudgeon
2008-12-16, 11:24 PM
A 092

You must carry the focus for the contingency to work. Anything you carry and can access is fine. An extradimensional space would not be accessible inside an Antimagic Field, but otherwise you're OK. A saddlebag on your mount is carried by your mount, not you, so that doesn't meet the "carry" requirement even if it counts as an attended item for you.

Nazde Bahatur
2008-12-17, 09:28 AM
Q. 94 In what book may i find the Half-Ogre race?
It's rather late and i do not have my books in here..

Duke of URL
2008-12-17, 09:37 AM
A 94

Races of Destiny.

Dragon #313 also has a half-ogre template.

wasntmerry:|
2008-12-17, 10:29 AM
Q 95
Is it possible to wildshape into another form while in wildshape or to spend another wildshape use to maintain the form, or is it necessary to change back to the original before shaping again ?

Q 96
Say I have Swift Wildshape, can I willingly use wildshape as a move action (as allowed by Fast Wildshape, which is a prerequisite for Swift Wildshape) or as a standard action as per normal.
Can I as such use wildshape twice in the same turn, once as swift, once as movement/standard ?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-12-17, 10:46 AM
A. 094 Additional Source

The Half-Ogre can also be found in the DragonLance Campaign Setting.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-12-17, 10:48 AM
A. 095

You may Wildshape directly from another form.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-12-17, 10:51 AM
A. 096

You can even do it thrice in a round. :smallwink:

jcsw
2008-12-17, 12:55 PM
Q.97

If a creature with no intelligence score gains one, eg through a template, does it gain feats?
Where does it say so? I need to prove it to someone else.

powerdemon
2008-12-17, 01:13 PM
A. 97

Do you have an example? I think that templates say +# int. In which case, the Int would remain "-". A dash means Not Applicable. So 5 + "-" = "-"

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-12-17, 01:15 PM
A. 097

It is probably not written directly, except maybe in one of the templates designed to make, say constructs, intelligent. However, it is specified indirectly in the creature type where it says, if the creature has no intelligence it gains no feats or skill points. From there it follows that when that requirement is not met any longer the normal rules for feats and skills are in place.

Twilight Jack
2008-12-17, 02:51 PM
Q 98.

Is the duration of the summon ability of demons and devils equivalent to that of summon monster spells? If so, is the caster level equal to that of its other spell-like abilities?

Corollary question: If duration is not equal, then how is the duration of the summon ability determined? Is it permanent, and if so, are such creatures still counted as being part of the CR of the original critter?

Corollary observation: I understand that dretches are supposed to be fairly weak opponents, but the ability to summon another dretch once per day with a 35% chance of success is absurdly weak if the summoned dretch only hangs out for 2 rounds (the caster level for all other dretch spell-like abilities). Only a handful of rounds is understandable as a low-level spell, since it always works, but whenthe odds are already crappy, what's the point of having the ability at all?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-12-17, 02:56 PM
A. 098

It lasts an hour and is already part of the assigned CR.

Summon (Sp): A creature with the summon ability can summon specific other creatures of its kind much as though casting a summon monster spell, but it usually has only a limited chance of success (as specified in the creature’s entry). Roll d%: On a failure, no creature answers the summons. Summoned creatures automatically return whence they came after 1 hour. A creature that has just been summoned cannot use its own summon ability for 1 hour. Most creatures with the ability to summon do not use it lightly, since it leaves them beholden to the summoned creature. In general, they use it only when necessary to save their own lives. An appropriate spell level is given for each summoning ability for purposes of Concentration checks and attempts to dispel the summoned creature. No experience points are awarded for summoned monsters.

Twilight Jack
2008-12-17, 03:16 PM
A. 098

It lasts an hour and is already part of the assigned CR.

Good to know. I also didn't know the bit about the summoned critters not being able to summon. I figured the rather crappy chances created a law of diminishing returns on that one.

I should have just looked it up in the SRD. :smallfrown:

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-12-17, 03:19 PM
Good to know. I also didn't know the bit about the summoned critters not being able to summon. I figured the rather crappy chances created a law of diminishing returns on that one.

I should have just looked it up in the SRD. :smallfrown:

Do not be too hard on yourself.
It helps if ones knows where to look. Especially if one already knows the relevant rules. :smallamused:

Thurbane
2008-12-17, 03:41 PM
Q. 94 In what book may i find the Half-Ogre race?
It's rather late and i do not have my books in here..
A. 094

As already stated, Races of Destiny (LA +2). It appeared earlier in Savage Species as LA +1.

Defiant
2008-12-17, 09:49 PM
Q. 099

I'm not quite sure I understand writing spells in a spellbook from another spellbook or scroll.

In most cases, wizards charge a fee for the privilege of copying spells from their spellbooks. This fee is usually equal to the spell’s level × 50 gp.

Materials for writing the spell cost 100 gp per page.

Does that mean I've got it wrong all along thinking it costs 100 per page flat out? It actually costs 150gp per spell level to write a new spell in a spellbook? First 50gp to borrow another wizard's spellbook and 100gp to copy it in?

Exampled questions:
How much does it (lowest) cost to write a 2nd level spell in a spellbook (with or without another wizard)? How much does it cost to write a 2nd level spell in a spellbook with a scroll?

Q. 100

Is there a list somewhere showing what spells don't require verbal, somatic, and material components (one at a time)?

Curmudgeon
2008-12-17, 10:08 PM
It actually costs 150gp per spell level to write a new spell in a spellbook? First 50gp to borrow another wizard's spellbook and 100gp to copy it in?A 099

That's correct, if you're getting access to the spell via another Wizard.

How much does it (lowest) cost to write a 2nd level spell in a spellbook (with or without another wizard)?
Spells Gained at a New Level

Wizards perform a certain amount of spell research between adventures. Each time a character attains a new wizard level, she gains two spells of her choice to add to her spellbook. The two free spells must be of spell levels she can cast. If she has chosen to specialize in a school of magic, one of the two free spells must be from her specialty school. So lowest cost, for the two freely available spells, is just 100 gp/page.

How much does it cost to write a 2nd level spell in a spellbook with a scroll? It's the cost of the scroll (spell level 2 x caster level 3 x 25 gp = 150 gp) + the cost of scribing the spell (100 gp/page x 2 pages = 200 gp), or 350 gp.

Curmudgeon
2008-12-17, 10:10 PM
A 100

I'm not sure what combinations you're trying to find, but you can do a Search with various components included or excluded here (http://www.imarvintpa.com/dndlive/FindSpell.asp).

Defiant
2008-12-17, 10:16 PM
Re 099

Well that's just great. Not even the "free" spells are free. Playing a wizard is much more expensive than I thought then.

This also means that 1st level spells (only) are better scribed through a scroll.

I'm still not sure though...

At each new wizard level, she gains two new spells of any spell level or levels that she can cast (based on her new wizard level) for her spellbook

That sure looks a lot like you get them for free. It says something about you doing it throughout your research (but then again, it does cost ink).

jcsw
2008-12-17, 10:26 PM
Clarification 099.

Those two spells are free, apparently because you came up with them yourself or something.
The costs given for scribing spells and whatnot is for the purpose of scribing additional spells into your book.

Douglas
2008-12-17, 10:27 PM
A99 correction
The 2 free spells per level are just that - free. No charge whatsoever.

Copying from another wizard's spellbook usually costs 150 gp/spell level, 50 of which is for the privilege of access to that spellbook and the other 100 for the special inks. Once the game starts or if your GM is more permissive than most, you may be able to avoid the access charge by trading something equally valuable but free to you - letting the other wizard copy from your spellbook.

If you plan to start with at least 125 spell levels of extra spells in your spellbook, it would save money to get a Blessed Book (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#blessedBook). If you can spare two levels and some skill points for the Geometer class in Complete Arcane, that makes all your spells take just a single page, reducing the cost to 100 + 50/level.

1st level spells are indeed cheaper to scribe from scrolls than to copy from another spellbook.

Thurbane
2008-12-19, 02:05 AM
Two questions about the Factotum ability Cunning Strike -

Cunning Strike (Ex): With a quick study of a vulnerable opponent's defenses, you can spot the precise area you need to hit to score a telling blow. Starting at 4th level, you can spend 1 inspiration point to gain 1d6 points of sneak attack damage. You must spend the inspiration point to activate this ability before making the attack roll. When determining if you can sneak attack against a target that has uncanny dodge, use you factotum level as your rogue level.
Q. 101

I can't see anywhere in this description that says you can spend multiple inspiration points to gain multiple d6 sneak attack (all references are to a single point), yet I often see builds that have multiple sneak attack dice listed. If you can gain multiple dice, is there any limit other than the number of inspiration points you have to spend?

Q. 102

Do you need to meet the normal requirements to sneak attack (i.e. flanking or opponent denied his DEX to AC), or is spending the inspiration point enough in and of itself?

weenie
2008-12-19, 08:07 AM
Q. 103

Not sure this is the right place to ask, but does anyone know where can I find the rogue variant that substitutes Trapfinding with the ability to deal 1/2 SA to enemies who are immune to criticals?

Q. 104

Oh, and I heard there were some rules somewhere, that give you a bonus to damage, that relies on Knowledge skills. Anyone knows in what book can they be found?

Defiant
2008-12-19, 09:56 AM
A. 104

http://www.giantitp.com/articles/paBcfg1YaEccDMQACfu.html

jcsw
2008-12-19, 10:04 AM
A104

You might also be thinking of the knowledge devotion feat in Complete Champion.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-12-19, 10:35 AM
A 103

Penetrating Strike, Dungeonscape.

Curmudgeon
2008-12-19, 12:41 PM
A 103 additional

Penetrating Strike is in Dungeonscape on page 13. However, it replaces trap sense, not the more useful trapfinding; it also only works against enemies that you flank.