PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Eldritch Knight re-write

Greg
2008-12-08, 01:15 PM
I like the idea of the Eldritch Knight, but I feel the class was a bit of a let down, especially compared to the Arcane Archer and Arcane Trickster - which have actual class features. I also think that the class ties in with 2 distinct combat roles and advances both - but leaves the character worse at both roles than if they had stuck to either individual role. There is no attempt made to synergise, I suppose I am trying to say. The class has very little in the way of customisation either - beyond the bonus feat.

Anyhoo, I thought I'd list some of the things a Gish-type might like to be able to do. I'd appreciate any other suggestions.
Cast spells in armour
Cast spells on armour
Cast spells on weapons
Debuff enemies
Mounted Combat (covered by knight phantom)
Casting in Combat

This is my first attempt at homebrew, so be nice :smalltongue:

1st Draft
Eldritch Knight
Hit Die
d6.

Requirements
To qualify to become an eldritch knight, a character must fulfill all the following criteria.

Weapon Proficiency
Must be proficient with all martial weapons.

Spells
Able to cast 3rd-level arcane spells.

Class Skills
The eldritch knight’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Decipher Script (Int), Jump (Str), Knowledge (arcana) (Int), Knowledge (nobility and royalty) (Int), Ride (Dex), Sense Motive (Wis), Spellcraft (Int), and Swim (Str).

Skill Points at Each Level
2 + Int modifier.

{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Spells

1st|
+1|
+2|
+0|
+0|Casting Technique|
-

2nd|
+2|
+3|
+0|
+0|
-|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

3rd|
+3|
+3|
+1|
+1|

4th|
+4|
+4|
+1|
+1|

5th|
+5|
+4|
+1|
+1|Casting Technique|
-

6th|
+6|
+5|
+2|
+2|

7th|
+7|
+5|
+2|
+2|

8th|
+8|
+6|
+2|
+2|

9th|
+9|
+6|
+3|
+3|

10th|
+10|
+7|
+3|
+3|Casting Technique|+1 level of existing spellcasting class [/table]

Casting Techniques
Armoured Caster
Prerequisite - Feat: Armour Proficiency (any)
The Knight increases his ability to form the complex gestures required to cast spells.

If this technique is selected, the knight reduces the Arcane Spell Failure from wearing armour he is proficient in by 35% per level of Eldritch Knight. This does not apply if the knight is wearing armour which he does not have proficiency.

Armour Focus
Prerequisite - Feat: Armour Proficiency (any)
The knight knows that his armour is not just for physical defence.

If this technique is selected, the knight can cast spells on his armour and activate any or all of them as a move action. The total of the spell levels stored on the armour may not exceed his Eldritch Knight levels, and the spells must have "Self" as the target. If unused, the spells fade, and are gone after 24 hours - he may then store more spells on the armour.

He may only cast them on sigilwrought armour (see later).

Weapon Channeling
The knight learns that his weapon can be used in ways others can only dream of.

Every day, when the knight chooses his spells (or whenever spells reset for sorcerers) he can choose to to imbue a number of spell levels (up to his Eldritch Knight level) into a sigilwrought weapon (later). A sigilwrought weapon charged in this manner counts as a magic weapon for the purposes of bypassing damage reduction. The Eldritch Knight can choose to unleash the energy contained within his weapon to deal extra damage on a hit (an extra d6 per spell level imbued) or to bypass damage reduction (1 point bypassed for every spell level imbued, does not apply to DR/epic). The Eldritch Knight can do this a number of times equal to their casting attribute modifier per day.

Melee Caster
Prerequisite - Feat: Combat Casting
Having learned how to keep his cool in combat, the Eldritch Knight learns how to cast his spells in combat to greater effect.

If this technique is selected, the knight gains +1 per 2 levels of Eldritch Knight as an insight bonus to concentration checks due to damage, distracting spells or being grappled. In addition, the knight gains a +1 insight bonus to AC per 2 Eldritch Knight levels against attacks of opportunity while casting spells only.

Strike of Spellbreaking
Prerequisite - Ability to cast Dispel Magic or Dispel Magic, Greater
The knight learns that he is not the only one to deploy spells on himself, and finds that he can break them.

After taking this technique, the Eldritch Knight finds that he can use his sigilwrought weapon to channel his dispelling magics to make a targeted dispel. He does this by perfoming an attack as a standard action. If his attack hits, he may elect to cast either Dispel Magic or Dispel Magic, Greater. He gains +1 per 3 levels of Eldritch knight on his caster level check to dispel any active spells.

Sigilwrought Items
A spellwrought item is a type of craft that can be applied to any item of masterwork quality (so the 300/150gp cost must be paid as well). It allows spells to be channelled and stored within the item as described above.

{table=head]Item|Cost
Armour, Light|+1,000gp
Armour, Medium|+4,000gp
Armour, Heavy|+9,000gp
Shield|+1,000gp
Weapon|+3,000gp[/table]

Any thoughts/criticisms would be appreciated.

Maerok
2008-12-08, 01:26 PM
I like the direction you are taking the EK. Despite the relatively cut and dry nature of it as is, I rather like it as a Core PrC. But adding more options like this is a nice change and addresses some of the shortcomings. I don't believe we need both the EK and the Spellsword (so maybe look into that last one for some stuff). You've also taken on the issue of EKs getting to cast in armor, which I guess was arguable as they got high BAB and almost full casting as it was (could just summon armor and shield to reduce weight as Str probably isn't the highest priority over Int).

Greg
2008-12-08, 03:17 PM
It drops a caster level to compensate, and loses the bonus feat. Is it any more/less balanced? Is it too complex?

Knaight
2008-12-08, 08:15 PM
Armored caster is iffy, make it either 5% per level, or have a light, medium, heavy upgrade at certain levels. Also it should probably be automatic. A d6 hit die is a bit low, and sigil wrought items should be more complex and more impressive, with different sigils and such. Other than that, good job, I'm impressed.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2008-12-08, 09:45 PM
*Cough (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57794)*

I think my most popular class, but not everyone likes ToB.

Greg
2008-12-10, 08:50 AM
Armored caster is iffy, make it either 5% per level, or have a light, medium, heavy upgrade at certain levels. Also it should probably be automatic. A d6 hit die is a bit low, and sigil wrought items should be more complex and more impressive, with different sigils and such. Other than that, good job, I'm impressed.
I'll alter that.

Any other ideas for techniques?