PDA

View Full Version : Its a boy, its a boy, ITS A BOY!!!!!

DaisyGMYAD
2008-12-08, 05:01 PM
Ok, this may be somewhat self-indulgent, but I'm so excited and happy that I'm shouting to the rooftops for anyone who cares to listen:

I'm 17 weeks pregnant, just had my second ultrasound and ITS A BOY!!!!!!!!! The professionals say everything looks perfectly healthy! Huzzah!!!!!!!!!

So yeah, I'd be doing the same thing if it were a girl. I didn't really have a preference. But I'm just so happy to know. It makes it so real.

So for names, I'm kinda thinking Benjamin Courtney (I'm stuck w/ the Courtney b/c it is a family name on my husband's side and quite immutable...I've grown fond of it anyway). But I'm a little torn however, b/c my dad died shortly after I found out I was expecting, and I was thinking of naming him Robin Courtney after my father. It would be an appropriate tribute in my mind, but then my son would be the boy with two names that are kinda girl names...not easy to overcome. I need some objective outsider opinions. Whatdya think???!!! Comments? Concerns? Suggestions?

(Please try not to be mean. I'm hormonal and far more emotional than I would prefer, ie :smallfurious::smallbiggrin::smalleek::smallsmile: :smallfrown: all at once. Thanks)

Magnor Criol
2008-12-08, 05:04 PM
Major congrats, milady. :D

I agree that "Robin Courtney" would be difficult to overcome for the lad growing up.

Don't really have any alternate suggestions...

UncleWolf
2008-12-08, 05:05 PM
First off, congratulations!:smallbiggrin:
Hope we see him in the playground sometime soon.:smalltongue:

I knew plenty of boys named Robin and they never had a problem with it. I also think that Courtney was originally a boys name, so I think you are good on that front as well.

Again, Congratulations.

Flame of Anor
2008-12-08, 05:05 PM
Benjamin, definitely. Can you perhaps think of a more masculine variation on Courtney? Say, "Chucknorris"?

Mr. Mud
2008-12-08, 05:07 PM
Congratulations! They say it takes a village to raise a child, so why not put your child in the responsible hands of us! The Playground! :smalltongue:.*

As for the naming, I sorta like the ring of the Benjamin Courtney, but I have no taste in names, and it appears to run in the family (For example, I was going to be named Julius Caesar, instead of Joe :smallbiggrin:).

*That felt a little too much like a sales pitch... Congratz :smallbiggrin:.

Fawkes
2008-12-08, 05:08 PM
Congratulations!

But I agree, if you're giving him a feminine middle name, you gotta give him a very masculine first name.

Jibar
2008-12-08, 05:10 PM
Congratumalations!

Now name it after Cristo.

'Cos.

Lord Herman
2008-12-08, 05:14 PM
Congratulations! :smallbiggrin:

skywalker
2008-12-08, 05:19 PM
I kinda like "Robin Courtney." Courtney has never been a strictly "girl name" for me, but I'm from the south and we have some weird names down here. Benjamin Courtney kinda sounds like you're trying too hard. You also have to factor in the last name.

I would also like to point out that "Robin" shortens easily to "Rob," which I'm surprised hasn't been pointed out yet.

Also, congrats.

Cleverdan22
2008-12-08, 05:20 PM
Congratulations! I would recommend sticking with Benjamin or any other clear defined "male" names, as the two girl names thing would be pretty difficult.

UncleWolf
2008-12-08, 05:27 PM
I kinda like "Robin Courtney." Courtney has never been a strictly "girl name" for me, but I'm from the south and we have some weird names down here. Benjamin Courtney kinda sounds like you're trying too hard. You also have to factor in the last name.

I would also like to point out that "Robin" shortens easily to "Rob," which I'm surprised hasn't been pointed out yet.

Also, congrats.

I think it is pretty much the same way when you go to the NorthEast.

DaisyGMYAD
2008-12-08, 05:30 PM
Benjamin, definitely. Can you perhaps think of a more masculine variation on Courtney? Say, "Chucknorris"?

Ha Ha! Awesome. As my director says before he shoots down a suggestion, "I'll think about it".

:smallwink:

Thanks though

Zeful
2008-12-08, 05:37 PM
I'd name the kid Talyn, from Farscape (http://photomaniak.com/upload/out.php/i32600_FarscapeTalyn.jpg). But I'm slightly insane, so my advice is always a little off.

As for the Robin Courtney, it seems like an good name. The kid will get teased about it though, so expect some form of drama if you do name him Robin. Other than stupid people being stupid, it seems like a fine decision.

Dragonrider
2008-12-08, 05:52 PM
Congrats!! :smallbiggrin:

You could also go for Robert instead of Robin, which is a similar name but much more masculine. :smallsmile:

Mauve Shirt
2008-12-08, 05:58 PM
Congratulations! :smallbiggrin:
I think Dragonrider's idea is a good one. Robert Courtney has a nice ring to it I think.

Flickerdart
2008-12-08, 06:01 PM
Robert's a good name, yes. Although you're looking at a guy who wants to name his kid Lucifer if I ever have on, just because I think it's a totally awesome name.

RTGoodman
2008-12-08, 06:02 PM
Congrats!

I'm not sure where you're from, but if you're British and have a stuffy-sounding British last name (Lethbridge, Smollet, etc.) I think Robin Courtney would be neat. :smalltongue: Otherwise, I think Robert sounds really good, too.

EDIT: Of course, I just realized why the name Robert Courtney sounds so normal to me - two of my friends from high school just got married (after dating for like 6 years) and are named Robert and Courtney.

Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins
2008-12-08, 06:10 PM
This seems vaguely appropriate. (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=NIMgEEASoWQ)

*cough*

Despite that, Robin Courtney isn't that girly of a name. And with the way naming conventions work, it'll be less so soon enough. If he or others (r both he and others) decide its girly, then he'll just grow up a bit tougher and angrier at the world than would normally occur.

It's good to get angry at the world at a young age. You won't be caught be surprise later.

Mando Knight
2008-12-08, 06:13 PM
If you do name him Robin, teach him archery, not gymnastics. Unless you want to push your luck and possibly have him adopted by a billionaire bachelor with a troubled soul (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Comicbook/Batman) when you are killed by the Mafia rather than fighting corrupt dictators in order to save the girl he loves (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/RobinHood)...

ahzreal
2008-12-08, 06:13 PM
Ok, this may be somewhat self-indulgent, but I'm so excited and happy that I'm shouting to the rooftops for anyone who cares to listen:

I'm 17 weeks pregnant, just had my second ultrasound and ITS A BOY!!!!!!!!! The professionals say everything looks perfectly healthy! Huzzah!!!!!!!!!

So yeah, I'd be doing the same thing if it were a girl. I didn't really have a preference. But I'm just so happy to know. It makes it so real.

So for names, I'm kinda thinking Benjamin Courtney (I'm stuck w/ the Courtney b/c it is a family name on my husband's side and quite immutable...I've grown fond of it anyway). But I'm a little torn however, b/c my dad died shortly after I found out I was expecting, and I was thinking of naming him Robin Courtney after my father. It would be an appropriate tribute in my mind, but then my son would be the boy with two names that are kinda girl names...not easy to overcome. I need some objective outsider opinions. Whatdya think???!!! Comments? Concerns? Suggestions?

(Please try not to be mean. I'm hormonal and far more emotional than I would prefer, ie :smallfurious::smallbiggrin::smalleek::smallsmile: :smallfrown: all at once. Thanks)

Robin Courtney sounds cool to me... I've heard MUCH worse. I wouldn't worry about it.

BizzaroStormy
2008-12-08, 06:17 PM
If Courtney is the last name, you're pretty much screwed as a boy anyway. As for a first name, how about Lance or Vincent?

Mr. Mud
2008-12-08, 06:32 PM
What about Cliff? Or maybe Sue, so he could grow up double tough :smalltongue:.

But seriously, I don't that that Courtney is really that girly... Stacey on the other hand... (Hand some neighbors a few years ago.. Man's name was Stacey, and Wife's was Jerry... Great people though heh :smallbiggrin:)

tribble
2008-12-08, 06:36 PM
Congratulations!:smallsmile:

the french spelling of courtney is pretty manly, "Courtenay". espescially if you put "De" in front of it. say it with me: DeCourtenay.

SurlySeraph
2008-12-08, 06:44 PM
Congratulations!

Micate
2008-12-08, 06:48 PM
I don't see anything wrong with Robin or Courtney... Although, I'm partial to unique or varient names, so naming a guy Robin is actually almost cool to me, so I might not be one to judge...

Edit: actually... Robin is just a cool name in general.

turkishproverb
2008-12-08, 06:51 PM

You could always give him two middle names. I think it'd be kind've appropriate to go with Benjamin Robin Courtney (LAST NAME HERE)

Liriel
2008-12-08, 06:56 PM
Congrats! :smallbiggrin:

I rather like Robin Courtney. However, if you're worried about it you could perhaps use your dad's first/middle name (whichever Robin isn't) if that flows well? I also agree with Skywalker about factoring in the last name with all of this advice.

I'm from the south too, and know quite a few guys with typical "girly" names like Ashley and Stacey.

[Edit: I like ^'s idea of two middle names as well.]

Moff Chumley
2008-12-08, 07:28 PM
Glen. Glen all the way. Or Herb. Or Art. :smallcool:

InaVegt
2008-12-08, 07:31 PM
How about Robespierre?

Agamid
2008-12-08, 07:32 PM
awesome and congrats!
one of my friends just had a little baby boy called michael.

i like the name Ben.

Ash08
2008-12-08, 07:34 PM
Congratulations!
Anyway I think that Robert is pretty good. A bit better than Robin, but theres nothing wrong with Robin.
once again Congratulations and good luck!

Sir_Norbert
2008-12-08, 07:35 PM
Robin is a girl name? Since when? Must be an American thing.

Congratulations, and don't let any of us influence your name choices in the slightest -- it's you that has to live with it for the rest of your life :P

Felixaar
2008-12-08, 07:36 PM
Should totally name it after an Oots Character. Belkar Courtney, why not, why not?

Seriously though, congratulations and I'm glad to hear things are going so well. Robin Courtney sounds like an excellent name, really (I assume Courtney is a middle name? If so then don't worry about any feminine connotations, few people inquire about middle names. Though I do, I like them, especially mine...)

Where was I? Anyway, excellent. Best of luck and I'll keep you in my thoughts :smallsmile:

Also, Director? You work in Movies/Stage? Cool!

Mr. Moon
2008-12-08, 08:02 PM
I like the name Robin Courtney. I mean, who wouldn't want to be named after the worlds most awesome sauce sidekick?
Sure, he's not the paragon of masculinity, but he's awesome nonetheless.

Although, I demand you train him to start all his exclamations with 'holy' and end them with 'Batman', from an early age. But that's just me.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2008-12-08, 08:03 PM
Courtney has always been a bad-ass name for me, ever since I read the Courtney Crumrin graphic novels.

Anyways, I agree that DeCourtenay is awesome.

Raistlin1040
2008-12-08, 08:05 PM
I wish my name was Robin Courtney.

I don't like Benjamin. But that's because there's so many derivative nicknames. Ben's alright, but the others (Benny, Benji, ect.) are not things I'd like to be called.

Ashtar
2008-12-08, 08:07 PM
First of all congratulations! You are going to discover the joys and wonders of parenting. I wish you all the best in the world, loads of laughter, smiles, kisses and an ocean of joy.

Robin is a great name, in France and Switzerland it is a masculine name, in the UK it is most commonly a masculine name too. Also, "Rob" is easy to live with as a diminutive.

FoE
2008-12-08, 08:17 PM
Congratulations.

In naming children, I can stress only one thing: when sounding out your child's prospective name, consider whether it will get your kid beat up. Like "Kal-el", "Moon Unit", "Pilot Inspektor" or "Harley Quinn." Actually, that last one is kind of cool if Quinn is a middle name and Harley is a girl.

But whatever you do, I urge you not to name your child "Talula Does the Hula From Hawaii." (http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2008/07/24/talula-nz-name.html) For your own sake, and for hers/his.

DaisyGMYAD
2008-12-08, 09:04 PM
Some people are asking about last name...I didn't post it originally, but the last name is Hammond...somewhat stuffy I suppose. That's actually why I'm leaning toward names that match stuffy like Benjamin or Robin. I'm usually a big fan of wilder names for other people's kids like Balthazar or Talyn (I'm also a Farscape fan :smallwink:) but they just don't go as well.

As for Robert...I gotta say thanks to the person who first suggested it. "Robert Courtney Hammond" does sound pretty good. I only fear the "Bob" factor...not a big fan of Bob :smallannoyed: We'd have to try keep it to Rob for nicknames.

And I'm pleased at the rather warm reception to Robin Courtney. The girls I work w/ totally shot it down; Referencing Howard Stern's sidekick and noting that the two most famous Robins are most often seen wearing tights (boy wonder AND Mr. Hood). I do really like Robin, but American society is a horrible judgemental beast (I'm not jaded at all...really...cough).

Thanks also for everyone's responses so far. The imput really helps!!

DaisyGMYAD
2008-12-08, 09:42 PM
Also, Director? You work in Movies/Stage? Cool!

Not nearly as cool as it sounds. I'm on stage often, I'm in a Shakespeare Company, but I almost never get paid for it. We are a poor but dedicated troupe of ruffians, misfits, and DnD dorks who must sadly keep day jobs.

But I digress...

Flickerdart
2008-12-08, 10:00 PM
Not nearly as cool as it sounds. I'm on stage often, I'm in a Shakespeare Company, but I almost never get paid for it. We are a poor but dedicated troupe of ruffians, misfits, and DnD dorks who must sadly keep day jobs.

But I digress...
Wait. Poor...troupe...ruffians and misfits...Robin...you see where I'm going with this?

Mr. Moon
2008-12-08, 10:06 PM

Methinks you people should stay away from Gotham City. *nodnod*

someonenonotyou
2008-12-08, 11:15 PM
congrads on the boy

Zeful
2008-12-08, 11:18 PM
And I'm pleased at the rather warm reception to Robin Courtney. The girls I work w/ totally shot it down; Referencing Howard Stern's sidekick and noting that the two most famous Robins are most often seen wearing tights (boy wonder AND Mr. Hood). I do really like Robin, but American society is a horrible judgemental beast (I'm not jaded at all...really...cough).

Robin of Loxley was a badass though. He defied the Prince in the name of the king.

If you do name him Robin, read him Robin Hood when he's five or so, instill pride in his name.

Tichrondrius
2008-12-08, 11:26 PM
Name him Robin, I think its a great name, boo the established society. Make him watch Teen Titans growing up. :P

Coidzor
2008-12-08, 11:49 PM
Hmm, a nice rule of thumb I've always heard is that if a person is to have a family last name as a middle name then it's usually better for it to be the second of two middle names.

Then again, I always try to convince people to take on more than the modern western three names.

Elm11
2008-12-09, 12:16 AM
GRATZ! :smallbiggrin:

What about Tim, i think timothy courtney is a pretty good one, but i'm not great at names.

skywalker
2008-12-09, 01:12 AM
Some people are asking about last name...I didn't post it originally, but the last name is Hammond...somewhat stuffy I suppose. That's actually why I'm leaning toward names that match stuffy like Benjamin or Robin. I'm usually a big fan of wilder names for other people's kids like Balthazar or Talyn (I'm also a Farscape fan :smallwink:) but they just don't go as well.

As for Robert...I gotta say thanks to the person who first suggested it. "Robert Courtney Hammond" does sound pretty good. I only fear the "Bob" factor...not a big fan of Bob :smallannoyed: We'd have to try keep it to Rob for nicknames.

Thanks also for everyone's responses so far. The imput really helps!!

For some reason I recommend highly against Robert.

Benjamin Courtney Hammond has a real nice flow to it. Say that. Yeah, I know, right?

But Robin Courtney Hammond sounds so polished. Just say that one too.

Oh God, next I'll be suggesting Mufasa (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=peEkaiRNZoM&feature=related).

Some good advice might be to imagine what it will sound like on important days. I'm thinking like graduation, wedding, etc. I like the sound of Benjamin more overall, for some reason. I think, when I imagine a man getting married, I don't think he or his (future)wife wants to hear "do you, Robin Courtney Hammond..." I don't know. I think Robin is a really cool name. You did a good job picking Benjamin. I really like it too. Either way. Not like you have to decide right now, tho.

Damn. I'm having a really hard time picking a recommendation.

Felixaar
2008-12-09, 01:38 AM

But I digress...

Hey, that's even cooler than it sounded before! :smallbiggrin:

EmeraldRose
2008-12-09, 09:37 AM
Congrats to you :smallbiggrin:

evisiron
2008-12-09, 09:58 AM
Congrats!

If it is too be a two part first name, perhaps go with something like Uber or Mega. Few will argue with Ultra-Courtney! :smallbiggrin:

Evil DM Mark3
2008-12-09, 09:59 AM
Remember, despite all the hype about bouncing babies it is far safer not to drop them [/bad joke]

Seriously though, congrats!

Trog
2008-12-09, 10:01 AM
Very important, the business of picking out a name. I've done it a couple of times already so here's my advice: make sure its not something the kid will get picked on for. Other than that you're fine. If you must have a name that can be picked on be sure it's the middle name. That said, here are a few nifty sites to help you pick out names for the little rugrat:

pick the traits, it suggests a name (http://www.whatalovelyname.com/)
or use a wizard to explore naming trends (http://www.babynamewizard.com/voyager#prefix=&ms=false&sw=f&exact=false)
or view by popularity in your area (http://www.babynamemap.com/)

or you could just name him Trog. *nod nod nod*