PDA

View Full Version : [Portrait] Ulrich the Bitter

Ilover_Juventad
2005-12-03, 10:42 AM
Wow, my first time in a contest.

Appearance:

Ulrich is quite haggard. He has ruffled black hair and skin tanned by the sun. He wears black leather armor which could easily be mistaken for cloth on the outside. He also wears a brown cloak and hide boots. His physique is slim, and he is about 5”8 in height. On his belt are two valuable weapons that seem to be in excellent condition.

Background:

Ulrich’s first memory as a human being was a cold mountain peak, the blizzard almost blowing him away. Then came the thin and pallid figures draped in cloaks that took him away. His keepers, a band of cruel elves that call themselves the Oromandin, made the human child do things that could kill a paladin legion. Stand back and be whipped, or eat the gruel that was raw bear guts…that was the way Ulrich lived. “A cold and bitter life is what awaits me…no hope, no light. A sullen darkness that lies in the peaks of nowhere.”

However, one day, his keepers were slain by a band of enraged gnolls who stole their cave. Finding the 5 year old human child a worthy slave, they let him live…though less miserable than the elves treated him. He was treated more tribally and less sadistically, as he was allowed to eat with the gnoll warriors and even talk with the chieftain. However, Ulrich had enough one day. As he was walking with the gnolls, a band of elven rangers ambushed the gnolls. Taking his chance, Ulrich ran as fast as his legs could carry him. Just fainting before a hut, he lay satisfied of his deed.

He woke up on a warm, furry bed, a man smoking a pipe near him. “Ye fainted, dincha? Ye seem an able lad, makin’ it tha’ far. Need some place to stay? If so, then I'll give ye a new name...Ulrich...jez like me granpappy." These were the opening lines of his new life. Ylazor was a patient yet firm mentor, grizzled throughout his entire life. He was never quite able to subdue the deep rage that was buried deep within Ulrich’s heart. Soon, Ulrich learned to commune with outside forces in his contemplation. Though never finding true calm, he avoided using his unearthly powers. That was also when his master taught him how to speak an ancient tongue called Draconic...which though Ulrich learned, was still uncomfortable for him.

These things, however, saved his master’s life.

“Ulrich, hand me the…unggh!”

“Master? Are you…oh by the-”

“Unnnnggghhh!” Ulrich rushed to his master and examined the problem…it was something in his drink, a poisonous substance that was not fully refined. Closing his eyes and thinking of grave consequences, he held his hands over his master. Green light emitted from his hands, and the window burst open, letting forth snow and ice. His master soon recovered after the poison was delayed.

As his master slept, Ulrich left the house, knowing he could pursue revenge now. Traveling the northern wastes as an elf and gnoll hunter, Ulrich has always acted the way he was treated: bitter, silent and cold…just like the icicles that lay silently, waiting to drop in order to kill the one who lay beneath them.

Statistics:

Name: Ulrich the Bitter (CR 5 I think)
R, L, C: Human 5th Level Ranger
Initiative: +3
Senses: Listen +9, Spot +0
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
Size: Medium
Languages: Gnoll, Elven, Draconic, Common

AC: 17
T: 14
FF: 14
Hit Points: 45 (HD 8)
Resistance: Cold 10, Lightning 10
Fortitude, Reflex, Will: 5, 7, 2
Weakness: Antisocial and Narrow Minded

Speed: 30 ft. (6 Squares)
Melee: +1 Cold Iron Longsword +4 (1d8+3/19-20x2), + 1 Shortsword +0 (1d6+2/19-20x2)
Base Attack +5, Grapple +7
Attack Options: Favored Enemy (Humanoid, Elf) +4 Damage, Favored Enemy (Humanoid, Gnoll) +2 Damage
Combat Gear: Ice (Longsword), Frost (Shortsword), 4 Cure Moderate Wounds Potions, 6 Cure Light Wounds Potions

Spells:
Level 1
Detect Poison: Detects poison in one creature or object
Longstrider: Increases Speed
Delay Poison: Stop Poison from harming an object for 1 hour/level
Spells Prepared: None

Abilities: STR 14, DEX 17, CON 12, INT 14, WIS 12, CHA 10

Special Abilities: Style (Two Weapon Fighting), 1st and 2nd Favored Enemy, Track, Wild Empathy, Combat Style, Animal Companion (Light Horse)

Feats: Blind Fight, Two Weapon Defense, Quick Draw, Armor Proficiency Light, Endurance, Martial Weapon Proficiency, Shield Proficiency, Simple Weapon Proficiency, Track, Two Weapon Fighting

Skills: Climb + 6, Handle Animal +6, Hide +16, Jump +10, Knowledge (Local) +6, Move Silently +11, Ride +7, Search +10, Survival +9

Possessions: Cold Iron Longsword +1, Short Sword +1, Studded Leather Armor +1, Cloak of Elvenkind, 4 CMW Potions, 6 CLW Potions, Rations, Water Flask. He also has his master's ring (+10 lightning resistance) and a gnoll ice amulet. (+10 cold resistance)

During battle, Ulrich prefers to be the secondary warrior. He takes on whatever did not take on the lead warrior and finishes them off just as quickly. When wounded, he often doesn't retreat and tries to spark cold fury and fear into the hearts of his opponents.

Alone, however, he goes for the mages first, then the cleric. He tries to avoid the warriors until he has neutralized the spellcasters and archers.

I'm not certain with the making, but I do think that some of this is at least decent.

Ilover_Juventad
2005-12-03, 10:43 AM
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c338/Ilover_Juventad/Self/Ulrich.gif

Ulrich the Bitter, seeking out his prey, his blades prepared to soak in their blood.

HempRope
2005-12-14, 10:07 PM
Not a bad character story. I really like the concept, and the pic is excellent.

However, you might add something to his story tht clarifies that he lives is a snowy environment... I don't think I see that anywhere.

Vaynor
2005-12-15, 12:47 AM
Background:

Ulrich’s first memory as a human being was a cold mountain peak, the blizzard almost blowing him away. Then came the thin and pallid figures draped in cloaks that took him away.

It says so right there. ;D

Ilover_Juventad
2005-12-16, 10:58 AM
Thanks for the comments HempRope. Appreciate it. And you too, Vaynor. ;) Any more comments or criticisms, anyone?

Vaynor
2005-12-17, 12:33 AM
Not really, it's a great concept, and the stats are just as good! ;)

Except that, where the HD is listed, there's a smiley! Not a big deal, but something you might want to fix. ;D