PDA

View Full Version : The multimage (3.5 PrC)

Chronos
2008-12-08, 05:24 PM
The Multimage

There are many forms of magic in the world, but all are magic. Through detailed study of multiple forms of magic, the multimage has learned to tease out the threads of commonality between many different forms of magic, and by following those threads, to advance in the understanding of all of them.

Hit Die: d4

Requirements
To become a multimage, a character must meet the following requirements:
Skills: Knowledge (any two) 8 ranks each; Spellcraft, Psicraft, True Speech, or Use Magic Device 5 ranks

Three or more of the following:
Arcane spells: Ability to cast 2nd-level arcane spells
Divine spells: Ability to cast 2nd-level divine spells
Psionics: Ability to manifest 2nd-level psionic powers
Invocations: Ability to use two different least invocations
Meldshaping: Ability to bind a soulmeld to a chakra
Pact magic: Ability to bind a 2nd-level vestige
Shadowcasting: Ability to cast 2nd-level shadow mysteries
Truenaming: Ability to speak 2nd-level utterances

Class skills
The multimage's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Autohypnosis (Wis), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Decipher Script (Int), Knowledge (all skills taken individually) (Int), Profession (Wis), Psicraft (Int), Spellcraft (Int), True Speech (Int), Use Magic Device (Cha), Use Psionic Device (Cha)

Skill points at each level: 4 + Int modifier

{table=head]Level | Base Attack Bonus | Fort Save | Ref Save | Will Save | Spells per Day/ Powers Known/ Meldshaping/ Soul Binding/ Utterances
1|0|+0|+0|+2|+1 level of existing classes
2|1|+0|+0|+3|+1 level of existing classes
3|1|+1|+1|+3|+1 level of existing classes
4|2|+1|+1|+4|+1 level of existing classes
5|2|+1|+1|+4|+1 level of existing classes
6|3|+2|+2|+5|+1 level of existing classes
7|3|+2|+2|+5|+1 level of existing classes
8|4|+2|+2|+6|+1 level of existing classes
9|4|+3|+3|+6|+1 level of existing classes
10|5|+3|+3|+7|+1 level of existing classes[/table]

Class Features
All the following are class features of the multimage prestige class
Weapon and Armor Proficiency
Multimages gain no proficiency with any weapon or armor

Spells per Day/Spells Known
When a new multimage level is gained, the character gains new spells per day (and spells known, if applicable) as if he had also gained a level in every spellcasting class he had before adding the level. He does not, however, gain any other benefit a character of those classes would have gained. This essentially means that he adds the level of multimage to the levels of all other spellcasting classes the character has, then determines spells per day, spells known, and caster level accordingly. A multimage with no levels in any spellcasting class does not gain any benefit from this feature.

Powers Known
When a new multimage level is gained, the character gains additional power points per day and access to new powers as if he had also gained a level in every manifesting class he belonged to before he added the prestige class level. He does not, however, gain any other benefit a character of those classes would have gained. This essentially means that he adds the level of multimage to the levels of all other manifesting class the character has, then determines power points per day, powers known, and manifester level accordingly. A multimage with no levels in any manifesting class does not gain any benefit from this feature.

Meldshaping
When a new multimage level is gained, the character increases his meldshaper level, the number of soulmelds he can shape, the number of chakra binds he can create, and his essentia pool as if he had gained a level in every meldshaping class to which he belonged before taking the multimage level. He does not, however, gain any other abilities of those classes, such as new tiers of chakra binds. A multimage with no levels in any meldshaping class does not gain any benefit from this feature.

Soul Binding
At every multimage level, if the character has the soul binding class ability, it improves as if he had also gained a level in the binder class. Thus, his multimage levels and binder levels stack for the purpose of determining his bonus on binding checks, the effectiveness of his vestige-granted abilities, his ability to bind higher-level vestiges, and the number of vestiges he can bind. He does not, however, gain any other benefit a binder would have gained. A multimage with no levels in any class with the Soul Binding class feature gains no benefit from this feature.

Utterances
At every multimage level, the character gains new utterances known as if he had gained a level in every utterance-speaking class he belonged to before taking the prestige class level. He does not, however, gain any other benefits of those classes. Effectively, he adds his multimage level to all of his utterance-speaking classes, and determines utterances known accordingly. A multimage with no levels in an utterance-speaking class gains no benefit from this feature.

Ascension
2008-12-08, 05:28 PM
Yikes. Is it even possible to build a non-epic, non-gestalt character who has all forms of casting at second level?

DracoDei
2008-12-08, 05:43 PM
He just said three forms were required... or did you mean for ultimate cheesing of this?

Innis Cabal
2008-12-08, 05:45 PM
This is still a rather weak class. Level 6 at least, with 4 levels missing from each class.....eh.

Ascension
2008-12-08, 05:48 PM
He just said three forms were required... or did you mean for ultimate cheesing of this?

Argh. Sorry, I missed that.

Lochar
2008-12-08, 05:49 PM
Level 9 actually. 2nd level powers come at 3rd level, and you need three of them.

So at level 10, you're a 4th level Archivist, 4th level Wizard, 4th level Psion.

Pass please.

DracoDei
2008-12-08, 06:00 PM
Pass please.
What does this mean? I don't get it...

Innis Cabal
2008-12-08, 06:01 PM

My math was off, opps. Still the point remains

And it means, wouldn't take it. Which, I agree with.

Lochar
2008-12-08, 06:25 PM

Means I'll pass on taking this class. I lose entirely too much to take it.

Taking the first level of this class means I'm 10th level with 2nd level spells/psi/whatever. Where if I was a single class, I'd have access to 5th level spells/psi/whatever.

If there aren't benefits to being able to access only lower level abilities, I won't hamstring myself this badly.

AgentPaper
2008-12-08, 06:34 PM
I would suggest making this a 5-level PrC, with a capstone: Choose 3 classes from the list that you have levels in. For each, calculate spells per day, powers known, meldshaping, soul binding, or utterances (whichever is applicable) as if the other two classes were this class.

Then load up the other levels with other powers that would fit the theme. Spellcasting progression for the 4 levels before the capstone should be +1 for a single class of your choice.

Draz74
2008-12-08, 06:49 PM
*Ahem*

Azurin Ardent 3/Binder 1/Incarnate 1/Cleric 1
Feats: Improved Binding, Open Least Chakra, Practiced Manifester, one other

There, he's Level 6 and already ready for this PrC. And has an extra Cleric level, to boot. (The latter doesn't help him qualify for the PrC, except that he needs a sixth level to take Open Lesser Chakra; but it will still get advanced by the PrC.)

So you don't need 9 levels before you can enter this PrC. You may even need less than 6, if your optimization skillz are better than mine.

Granted, this is still a pretty weak character at this point -- though not too bad, since Ardents who multiclass for 1-4 levels and take Practiced Manifester can still have full Manifester Level and Powers Known and know powers of the maximum level. (They do lose out on PP and on Mantles Known.)

But ...
Azurin Ardent 3/Binder 1/Incarnate 1/Cleric 1/Totemist 1/Multimage 10/Cerebremancer 4.

OK, now you've got a character with Manifester Level 20, 21 powers known in 3 Mantles, and 221 base PP/day. That's not exactly bad, already. And you can use feats to gain access to more Mantles or Powers.

Plus, you know, you are like an 11th-level Binder, Incarnate, and Totemist. And like a 15th-level Cleric. Better in some ways, worse in some ways, but that's a basic measure of the character's power.

Too MAD? Nope, just CON, WIS, and maybe CHA.

Yeah. Powerful (in the long run)!

And I didn't even get into exploring Invocations yet. Hmmm ...

EDIT: Er. Chronos, were Invocation casters supposed to gain any benefits from taking Multimage? Or are they useful only for qualifying?

If they are supposed to be advanced by Multimage, then does the DFA gain breath effect improvement, too? Or only Invocations and caster level?

'Cuz if breath weapons improve, then I want:

Azurin Dragonfire Adept 1/Warlock 1/Binder 1/Incarnate 1/Totemist 1/Soulborn 1/Multimage 10

with Improved Binding and Open Least Chakra, and no high scores except maxxed CON (and somewhat decent CHA).

EDIT AGAIN: For my first build, hmmm, I guess Cerebremancer doesn't work with Cleric, does it? :smalltongue: Meh, I wasn't worrying too much about the last 4 levels. Pick something that advances Psionics and something else (Meldshaping?).

Chronos
2008-12-08, 06:51 PM
Quoth Lochar:
Level 9 actually. 2nd level powers come at 3rd level, and you need three of them.That depends on what classes you're going for, and the right feats can lower the requirements. You can enter after five levels of base classes, by using (say) one level of Binder and the Improved Binding feat, plus one level of Incarnate and one of the Open Chakra feats, and three levels of something else.

Quoth Innis Cabal:
This is still a rather weak class. Level 6 at least, with 4 levels missing from each class.....eh. The theurge-type classes are all pretty weak compared to the full casters, but some folks like them anyway. This is just a logical extension of the idea. And straight casters aren't the best baseline for balance, anyway.

Innis Cabal
2008-12-08, 06:52 PM
Thats still alot of powes your missing out of

We're not saying that its not versitle. But with d4 your not really going to be going toe to toe with anything and unless you dump all of your feats to get spells up to their full DC you'll be casting way lower then you actually are. Which sucks. Big time.

Edit: Don't get me wrong. MT is my favorite class. With the proper build they can be hellishly powerful. But throwing in a third class makes an already weak build weaker.

Draz74
2008-12-08, 06:58 PM
You can enter after five levels of base classes, by using (say) one level of Binder and the Improved Binding feat, plus one level of Incarnate and one of the Open Chakra feats, and three levels of something else.

Not quite -- you can't take an Open Chakra feat until Level 6.

FMArthur
2008-12-08, 07:48 PM
And you really shouldn't design a class's usability around sourcebook mastery; is the average player who sees this going to know exactly which classes to go for to minimize your starting level?

I'm not even sure if this can be a workable concept. If you gain too much, you overshadow the component classes and rival prestige classes, but if you gain too little, then no matter how many options you can choose from with your combat turn usage, you won't be able to offer anything useful for encounters scaling with the party's level. This character class was created on the assumption that there is some attainable middle ground between these unfortunate possible outcomes, but it's entirely possible that there simply isn't any middle ground unless you add something to the class that can overcome the handicap or reduce the advantage, whichever way you go.

Chronos
2008-12-08, 07:53 PM
Not quite -- you can't take an Open Chakra feat until Level 6.Oops, forgot about that. A five-level entry is still possible, though: Binder 1 (Improved Binding)/Incarnate 2/Warlock 2 still works. Or even better, Warlock 1/Dragonfire Adept 1 instead of Warlock 2.

EDIT: Er. Chronos, were Invocation casters supposed to gain any benefits from taking Multimage? Or are they useful only for qualifying?Invocations and Shadowcasting can be advanced by prestige classes that advance spellcasting, so they're covered. I'm not sure offhand if the Dragonfire Adept gets breath advancement from PrCs, but Warlock does get Eldritch Blast advancement.

And you really shouldn't design a class's usability around sourcebook mastery; is the average player who sees this going to know exactly which classes to go for to minimize your starting level?Well, it's really not usable at all without some combination of Expanded Psionics Handbook, Magic of Incarnum, and Tome of Magic, so I'm pretty much assuming that anyone interested in this class would already be using some or all of those. And there's no rule that says that you have to enter a PrC as quickly as possible.

Draz74
2008-12-08, 09:13 PM
Oops, forgot about that. A five-level entry is still possible, though: Binder 1 (Improved Binding)/Incarnate 2/Warlock 2 still works. Or even better, Warlock 1/Dragonfire Adept 1 instead of Warlock 2.
Good call, I'd forgotten that Incarnates got chakra access that early.

Invocations and Shadowcasting can be advanced by prestige classes that advance spellcasting, so they're covered. I'm not sure offhand if the Dragonfire Adept gets breath advancement from PrCs, but Warlock does get Eldritch Blast advancement.
Ah, makes sense. I'd forgotten that too. You might want to clarify this in your headings, though, since they just say "Spells/Day or Spells Known" in them.

Darn, I'm pretty sure Breath Weapons aren't advanced by spellcasting PrCs. So if you're not changing that, the Multimage is pretty awful for DFA's. Guess my Ardent-based build is still the best thing to come out of this PrC.