PDA

View Full Version : Recomend me some comedic anime, please!

Ebonsword
2008-12-08, 07:50 PM
I used to be massively into anime, but I haven't picked up anything in, like, four years. (I think that it was a combination of not seeing any series that looked interesting and getting tired of dropping $30 for a four-episode DVD that burned me out). Recently, however, I've gotten the itch to return to the crazy world of Japanese cartoons, but I have little clue about most of the newer series.

For the most part, I like series that start comedic and STAY COMEDIC (yes, I'm glaring harshly at YOU, Trigun:furious:). My all time favorite series is Magical Project S, but I also really enjoyed the following:

The Slayers (all three seasons)

Nurse-Witch Komugi

Tenchi Universe

El Hazard TV (aka The Wanderers)

Card Captor Sakura

Bludgeoning Angel Dokuro-chan (the only somewhat recent series I've seen--I tracked down a fansub years ago as soon as I saw a description of the series :wink:.)

So, can anyone recommend anything recent along the same lines? Preferably in an affordable box set? :smile:

Revanmal
2008-12-08, 08:14 PM
I would go with:

FLCL

Lucky Star (the Seinfeld of anime)

Azumanga Daioh

Grave of the Fireflys

JeminiZero
2008-12-08, 08:17 PM
Not sure if these are licensed, but here you go:

Ouran Highschool Host Club (get past the highly setup-ish 1st episode, and the rest of the series should be gold)

Full Metal Panic: Fumoffu (not to be confused with Full Metal Panic (original), or Full Metal Panic-The Second Raid. Its a bit jarring to watch this without watching the original Full Metal Panic, but you should be able to pick up the premise quite fast.)

Potemayo (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1czIZgt-VA) (aka Adorable Chibis from the Fridge. AFAIK this one hasn't been licensed yet. The ending gets a bit more drama, or as much drama you can fit into an everyday normal high school with no aliens, espers or time travellers.)

Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi (This on the other hand has all the above, plus a sleeping God. I personally didnt find it that funny, but it has attained a cult following for some reason.)

Nerd-o-rama
2008-12-08, 08:19 PM
Azumanga Daioh
Azumanga Daioh
Excel Saga (over-the-top for me personally, but highly regarded)
Azumanga Daioh
Martian Successor Nadesico (has a lot of Mood Whiplash, but on average stays pretty upbeat through the end of the series. Ignore the movie).

Ravens_cry
2008-12-08, 08:37 PM
I found Ranma 1/2 consistently silly of what I have seen.

Haruki-kun
2008-12-08, 08:42 PM
The more people mention it, the more you'll feel compelled to watch it, I hope...

AZUMANGA DAIOH.

Also, School Rumble is pretty funny, too, but I never finished the second season, so I can't speak much for it.

Haven
2008-12-08, 09:18 PM
Grave of the Fireflys

:smalleek:

13_CBS
2008-12-08, 09:34 PM
I
Grave of the Fireflys

Now that's not nice. :smallyuk:

For lulz, Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei might work, though it's on and off wonky at times.

Texas_Ben
2008-12-08, 10:12 PM
I would go with:

FLCL

Azumanga Daioh

Grave of the Fireflys
:smallfrown: I see what you did there...

Excel Saga. That is all. [/thread]

(Also second recommendations for Azumanga Daioh and Lucky Star)

Hunter Noventa
2008-12-08, 10:23 PM
I suggest Irresponsible Captain Tylor. Best. Captain. Ever.

Lemur
2008-12-09, 01:17 AM
Minami-ke (the first season, anyway)

Panda Z

Pugyuru

Usavich

Full Metal Panic: Fumoffu

Come to think of it, I'm not actually sure of the licensing status of these. I'm pretty sure that FMP and Panda Z are, at least. Also note that the middle three are all 3-5 minute shorts, so they have less total viewing time (on the other hand, you may be able to find episodes on youtube if you wanted to preview them).

LurkerInPlayground
2008-12-09, 01:36 AM
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya

I think it rather merits the hype it gets.

Nerd-o-rama
2008-12-09, 02:19 AM

I think it rather merits the hype it gets.Nothing merits the hype or hype backlash Haruhi Suzumiya gets. But it is pretty good.

Tengu_temp
2008-12-09, 02:41 AM
Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
FLCL
Excel Saga
Azumanga Daioh

Genshiken and Lucky Star require a bit more anime knowledge to be enjoyable than someone who hasn't seen anything in 4 years probably has (you should watch at least Haruhi and FMP before watching LS, if you ask me). Full Metal Panic Fumoffu requires watching Full Metal Panic to know everything that's going on, and the first series is comedic as often as it's dramatic, just like Martian Successor Nadesico.

Closet_Skeleton
2008-12-09, 06:00 AM
Genshiken and Lucky Star require a bit more anime knowledge to be enjoyable than someone who hasn't seen anything in 4 years probably has (you should watch at least Haruhi and FMP before watching LS, if you ask me).

Hayate the Combat Butler is in that same area.

The Vorpal Tribble
2008-12-09, 06:07 AM
Comedic anime... isn't that redundant?

Hermit
2008-12-09, 06:11 AM
Hayate the Combat Butler is in that same area.

Mmm, I'd recommend Hayate as well but quite a lot of the comedy requires knowledge of other shows.

I watched PaniPoniDash some time ago too, which is probably best described as Excel Saga in a high school. Very random, but rather entertaining.

That said though I'd start with Azumanga Daioh, Excel Saga, and Haruhi.

kamikasei
2008-12-09, 06:12 AM

No. (c.f. "Grave of the Fireflies".)

Rettu Skcollob
2008-12-09, 06:20 AM
I always liked the first series of Steel Angel Kurumi, personally. It mixed an interesting storyline with some occasionally hilarious pieces of humour... Admittedly it does get a lot more heavy later on, but I always find it great every now and then. The second series is... Well, let's just say I prefer the first, wonderful cello music or not. Be warned it does contain some measure of nudity, however.

Ebonsword
2008-12-09, 07:41 AM
I always liked the first series of Steel Angel Kurumi, personally...Be warned it does contain some measure of nudity, however.

LOL. Warned? More like, "in another big plus for the series, it does contain some nudity". :biggrin:

Oh, and thanks for the recommendations everyone!

I actually have seen both Azumanga Daoh and Excel Saga, though.

I liked Azumanga Daoh quite a bit but, for some reason, I never grew to love it, if you know what I mean. Maybe I should try watching it again...

As for Excel Saga, that series tended to be more weird than funny (although, from what I remember, the last episode was completely over the top and about the funniest thing ever).

Ebonsword
2008-12-09, 07:43 AM

Someone has obviously never seen Serial Experiments Lain.

JabberwockySupafly
2008-12-09, 07:44 AM
Several people have already mentioned Excel Saga, which is by & far my favourite comedic anime in recent memory.

Ravens_cry mentioned Ranma 1/2, which is a good one, but only for the first 3 or 4 seasons. After that it gets inundated with filler episodes and a lot of rehashes of previous episodes. The premise of the show, unfortunately, wears quite thin after a while. Except for Ryoga. Ryoga is, and forever shall be, one of the greatest characters in anime history.

Now, for Rumiko Takahashi at her best (she made Ranma, and Inu Yasha, which I consider an affront to my eyes, but hey, tow-may-tow, tow-mah-tow...), try to find some Urusei Yatsura, also called Lum or Those Annoying Aliens. There is a great deal of laughter to be had. Mind you, it's a bit old, with the anime starting in the early 80's, but it has, barring the odd episode, aged incredibly well in this old man's opinion. Funny enough, there are a lot of Lum references in Excel Saga as well,showing where the show took some of it's inspiration.

Another one that tends to fly a bit under the radar is Gokudo, which I found quite funny because of the way it satires most "Adventure" or "Sword & Sorcery" style of anime and culture. It helps to have a bit of knowledge about fantasy elements or have a background in RPGs of any nature, but it's still an all-around funny show.

WarriorTribble
2008-12-09, 08:48 AM
I liked "Sensei no Ojikan," and "Nerima Daikon Brothers" along with the others mentioned here, but I do think the two are licensed.... Also you might be tempted to watch the sucessor (of sorts) to "Card Captor Sakura," "Tsubasa: Reservoir Chronicle." Please don't, it's pretty like anything CLAMP, but the pacing is terrible, meandering for a very long time on a fetch quest, and unlike it's predecessor it's ends up being ungodly depressing, doesn't really start out happy either.

Closet_Skeleton
2008-12-09, 08:53 AM
Mmm, I'd recommend Hayate as well but quite a lot of the comedy requires knowledge of other shows.

I wasn't recommending Hayate. I was saying that is was similar to what Tengu was saying about Lucky Star and Genshiken.

Don't try and contradict someone only to agree with them, actually read what they posted. I'll admit to not explaining my position but still.

Now, for Rumiko Takahashi at her best, try to find some Urusei Yatsura,

Nonsense. Rumiko Takahashi at her best is called Maison Ikkoku.

DomaDoma
2008-12-09, 09:19 AM
Thirding Fumoffu. Absolutely side-splitting.

Tengu_temp
2008-12-09, 09:31 AM
Yu-Gi-Oh The Abridged Series (http://yugiohtheabridgedseries.com/) is not 100% what you're looking for (since it's fan-made... sorta), but it's hilarious too. And you can watch it for free on the net!

Hermit
2008-12-09, 10:06 AM
I wasn't recommending Hayate. I was saying that is was similar to what Tengu was saying about Lucky Star and Genshiken.

Don't try and contradict someone only to agree with them, actually read what they posted. I'll admit to not explaining my position but still.

Hold on there, I wasn't directly contradicting or agreeing with you. I throughly enjoyed Hayate (roll on season 2), and was saying that I'd happily recommend it but that Ebon probably wouldn't get as much out of it. I was merely carrying on since you'd brought it up, I'd have mentioned it regardless.

Haruki-kun
2008-12-09, 02:38 PM

Most definitely not. (See also: Elfen Lied/Higurashi/Grave of the Fireflies.)

Poison_Fish
2008-12-09, 02:40 PM
For one that hasn't been listed yet, Kannagi.

Closet_Skeleton
2008-12-09, 02:44 PM
Most definitely not. (See also: Elfen Lied/Higurashi/Grave of the Fireflies.)

Elfen Lied has light moments and Higurashi no naku koru ni can be hilariously rediculous at points as well as sometimes trying and (often) failing to be amusing.

For one that hasn't been listed yet, Kannagi.

Yeah, that one.

Haruki-kun
2008-12-09, 02:48 PM
Elfen Lied has light moments and Higurashi no naku koru ni can be hilariously rediculous at points as well as sometimes trying and (often) failing to be amusing.

Yeah, when the walls aren't splattered with blood and no one's limbs are flying through the air, that is.

Texas_Ben
2008-12-09, 03:19 PM
Eh I personally thought Elfen Lied was pretty funny at points, especially in the manga, because although it is trying to get across that the character in question is not sympathetic, they turn it up to 11, and it comes across as ridiculous. The special-ops guy suffered particularly from this (I forget his name... bando? Banto? Something like that)

Same applies to Saikano... first time I watched it I was extremely depressed for like a week, then I watched it again and it all came off as contrived.

Haruki-kun
2008-12-10, 01:10 AM
Yeah, I remember that, but even then I didn't laugh... (I read part of the manga).

But there is a scientifically a splanation! Anything sounds less funny and more dramatic with Ominous Latin Chanting (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/OminousLatinChanting) playing in the background.

Closet_Skeleton
2008-12-10, 08:04 AM
Yeah, when the walls aren't splattered with blood and no one's limbs are flying through the air, that is.

Nah, the limbs falling off are crutial to one of the most hilarious scenes.

Revlid
2008-12-10, 08:16 AM
Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei
Azumanga Daoh
...I rather enjoy the Bleach Omakes.

Kato
2008-12-10, 08:17 AM
Addotional to those mentioned already (Really gotta see some of them) I'd like to add 'Yakitate! Japan' (okay, you can actually learn something, but it'spretty silly anyway) and Ouran High (nice parody on Dating/Harem manga), maybe even Sekirei, but it's more Ecchi than anything else.
Hm... also some main stream stuff like Naruto or One Piece have a great part of comedy in them, as well as good old Dragon Ball. And one might argue if G Gundam should be advised, but since the writer's made it on purpose 'so bad it's good' it's definitely worth watching it if you like over the tops clichčes.

Joran
2008-12-10, 04:35 PM
I particularly liked Yakitate!! Japan. In the vein of something like Prince of Tennis, it's about a natural genius at... baking. He ends up in a lot of baking competitions and the series is rife with very bad Japanese puns.

You have to get the fansub version which includes a lot of citations to understand the Japanese puns thrown around. It's a pretty self-aware Shonen parody and it works very well.

Nevrmore
2008-12-10, 05:35 PM
This fills me with rage.

late for dinner
2008-12-10, 05:39 PM
I always thought "Louie the Rune Soldier" was really funny and good.

I dont know if you count this as Anime, but "Avitar, the Last Air Bender" is hilarious and the story and animation are great.

Joran
2008-12-12, 03:29 PM
I dont know if you count this as Anime, but "Avitar, the Last Air Bender" is hilarious and the story and animation are great.

It is very good; it also just wrapped up and can be seen for free at Nickledeon.

The debate over whether or not something not originating in Japan counts as anime was already an extremely long thread and probably not a good use of our time ;)

Oregano
2008-12-12, 03:34 PM
I didn't like Avatar when I first saw it but it really is good once you get into it, but some of it is corny(it is actually for kids after all).

Closet_Skeleton
2008-12-12, 05:41 PM
(it is actually for kids after all).

So is most anime. Just because there's plenty of stuff aimed at older audiences doesn't mean that half the stuff mentioned here wasn't meant for kids.

Oregano
2008-12-12, 05:43 PM
So is most anime. Just because there's plenty of stuff aimed at older audiences doesn't mean that half the stuff mentioned here wasn't meant for kids.

Oh yer, I know that, I was just mentioning that sometimes it can get a bit childish.

Nerd-o-rama
2008-12-12, 07:41 PM
This fills me with rage.It is a show about nothing, though. Just cuter nothing than Seinfeld.

Nevrmore
2008-12-27, 02:10 AM
It is a show about nothing, though. Just cuter nothing than Seinfeld.
Seinfeld was a show that had plot and continuity intermingled perfectly with surreal, nonsensical conversations of trivial topics, both of which complimented the other and made one of the most successful sitcoms in history.

Lucky Star is a show that looks like the writers said, "Okay, guys, this week we pulled the words 'food,' 'sick,' and 'lesbian' out of the hat. Let's get to work making next week's episode. Oh and remember, add as much horrible music and annoying dialogue, voices, and characters as you possibly can."

Talkkno
2008-12-27, 02:19 AM
It is a show about nothing, though. Just cuter nothing than Seinfeld.

/argee with this statement
On that topic, You are my Master is pretty funny, depending on your opinion of fan service though.

Talkkno
2008-12-27, 02:23 AM
Lucky Star is a show that looks like the writers said, "Okay, guys, this week we pulled the words 'food,' 'sick,' and 'lesbian' out of the hat. Let's get to work making next week's episode. Oh and remember, add as much horrible music and annoying dialogue, voices, and characters as you possibly can."
If you are going to make such a harsh judgmental statement, at least bring some evidence and analysis.

Nevrmore
2008-12-27, 04:52 AM
If you are going to make such a harsh judgmental statement, at least bring some evidence and analysis.
Alright, then. I present to you, as evidence, this:

Every episode of Lucky Star.

Nerd-o-rama
2008-12-27, 05:01 AM
Lucky Star is a show that looks like the writers said, "Okay, guys, this week we pulled the words 'food,' 'sick,' and 'lesbian' out of the hat. Let's get to work making next week's episode. Oh and remember, add as much horrible music and annoying dialogue, voices, and characters as you possibly can."Clearly, you don't know what you're talking about.

They use manatees to pick the keywords.

Nevrmore
2008-12-27, 06:01 AM
Clearly, you don't know what you're talking about.

They use manatees to pick the keywords.
I should have expected that.

Talkkno
2008-12-27, 06:29 AM

Substantive Analysis?

Setra
2008-12-27, 08:26 AM
Azumanga Daioh is pretty good, very funny.

This has already been mentioned but I'm just seconding it.

The Evil Thing
2008-12-27, 09:56 AM
Lessee...

Hayate the Combat Butler
Azumanga Daioh
Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei (Farewell, Mr. Despair)
Minami-ke
Lucky Star (watch last)

Ebonsword
2008-12-27, 11:08 AM
Well, after multiple recommendations from folks here, I went out and purchased The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. I just finished watching it this morning.

My reaction is "um, where's the rest of it?".

Seriously, in the first six episodes or so, much is made of the fact that Haruhi may be able to alter reality at will yet this rather important point goes completely nowhere. In fact, the entire series goes completely nowhere. I mean, who thought it was a good idea to have the last episode consist mostly of Nagato sitting alone in the clubroom reading with nothing else going on?!

Now, I certainly wouldn't call it a bad series, in fact, overall, it's quite good. But it is an extremely frustrating series, and not as funny as it could be.

The characters are certainly endearing, though. Too bad that they're mostly criminally underdeveloped (especially Tsuruya).

Terraoblivion
2008-12-27, 11:17 AM
That is because some infinitely brilliant person decided that it would be a good idea to put them in chronological order on the DVD, instead of the order they were broadcast in and that the narrative structure was created for them to be shown in. Episode 6 of the chronological order is in fact the last episode of the broadcast order. The last eight episodes chronologically were written to be foreshadowing episode 6, giving you hints at what happened there and how it affected Haruhi and Kyon, putting the importance of that episode clearly there without really explaining what happened.

Tengu_temp
2008-12-27, 11:17 AM
Ah, you see, you fell victim to the American release - in normal broadcast, the episodes went in a different order! Order that purposely wasn't chronological. When they dubbed the series, they changed the order to chronological, thus making the series end in a very unsatisfying way. Extremely moronic decision.

And where's the rest of it? In the light novels. Or the further seasons - second season comes out in 2009.

Ninja'ed by Terra, of course.

Drascin
2008-12-27, 11:22 AM
Well, after multiple recommendations from folks here, I went out and purchased The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. I just finished watching it this morning.

My reaction is "um, where's the rest of it?".

In the other eight novels, mostly :smalltongue:. The story is nowhere near finished - from ten novels, the anime series covers mainly the first, and bits and pieces of some others. And the result of the second (ie, the movie). There is a second season projected, and I'm sure there will have to be at least one or two more.

Plus... wait a second...

Haruhi may be able to alter reality at will yet this rather important point goes completely nowhere. In fact, the entire series goes completely nowhere. I mean, who thought it was a good idea to have the last episode consist mostly of Nagato sitting alone in the clubroom reading with nothing else going on?!

...Oh, Goddess, you watched it in chronological order? I see why you could think the ending was horrible. That last ending was suppossed to be the ninth episode in the original broadcast, and the original finished with episode 6.

EDIT: Damn, double-ninja'd. Well, Terra and Tengu also explained it, so no matter.

Though... are you people really telling me that chronological is really the default order of the official DVDs in America? Who thought that one up? It screws the flow of the whole thing! :smallconfused:

Cubey
2008-12-27, 11:26 AM
Though... are you people really telling me that chronological is really the default order of the official DVDs in America? Who thought that one up? It screws the flow of the whole thing! :smallconfused:

I assume the execs thought fans would be easily-confused idiots who'd feel lost if exposed to a deliberately achronological order of episodes.
As a reaction, I suggest a Kyon-type facepalm.

Poison_Fish
2008-12-27, 02:33 PM

http://www.brutalrpg.com/gallery_images/Imperial%20Flail.jpg

I can rage too over the comparison. But that's worthy of a major flail.

Nevrmore
2008-12-27, 02:54 PM
Substantive Analysis?
First, I'm pretty sure "substantive" is not a word.

Second, what exactly are you expecting me to give you as evidence or analysis? "Well I placed thirteen monkeys into separate cages. One listened to pleasant light jazz while the other twelve listened to the same voice clip from the main character of Lucky Star. All twelve of the monkeys began to howl, screech, and bang on their cages. This proves, scientifically, that the characters of Lucky Star have annoying voices"? Do you want me to go through each episode and provide bullet points for every thing in them that I hated (Now that'd be a long list)? I don't need to give an analysis for an opinion, you can't factualize that. My opinion is that Lucky Star sucks, everything about it is annoying, and it's only comparative to Seinfeld in the same way that fecal matter is comparative to the food that you ate to create it.

Nerd-o-rama
2008-12-27, 03:00 PM
And where's the rest of it? In the light novels. Or the further seasons - second season comes out in 2009.Official source on this? I thought it was still languishing in limbo.

Anyway, what I find funny is that Haruhi in chronological order was set up to have an unsatisfying ending (ah, Someday in the Rain, you are so pointless). But what can you expect? A good localization from Bandai USA? Sorry, they used up all their actual talent years ago on Cowboy Bebop.

Which, by the way, isn't really a comedy, but it has some hilarious episodes.

kamikasei
2008-12-27, 03:07 PM
First, I'm pretty sure "substantive" is not a word.

It wouldn't have taken much effort not to set yourself up for this (http://www.google.ie/search?hl=en&q=define%3Asubstantive&btnG=Google+Search&meta=).

Nevrmore
2008-12-27, 03:11 PM
It wouldn't have taken much effort not to set yourself up for this (http://www.google.ie/search?hl=en&q=define%3Asubstantive&btnG=Google+Search&meta=).
Oh God, I'm so embarrassed. Look what my carelessness has wrought. I'm the one with egg on my face, now. This completely defeats my entire point of view and only a stalwart hero brazen enough to face me like you, kamikasei, had the bravery and the cunning to engineer my defeat. I'd go on but oh lordy I'm just so ashamed I can't go on.

Poison_Fish
2008-12-27, 03:15 PM
Oh God, I'm so embarrassed. Look what my carelessness has wrought. I'm the one with egg on my face, now. This completely defeats my entire point of view and only a stalwart hero brazen enough to face me like you, kamikasei, had the bravery and the cunning to engineer my defeat. I'd go on but oh lordy I'm just so ashamed I can't go on.

There is nothing left for you now other then to go on a rampage of clever language thinly disguised as an attempt to say something is bad without any real basis at all other then personal preference.

Oh wait, that's be done already.

In that case, the second option would be to hang your head in shame and retreat to your fortress of solitude while plotting your next endeavour.

Nevrmore
2008-12-27, 04:02 PM
There is nothing left for you now other then to go on a rampage of clever language thinly disguised as an attempt to say something is bad
So we're not allowed to use good diction when we're criticizing things anymore? Oh, okay.

LUKKY STAR IS MAJOR SUCK!!!!

without any real basis at all other then personal preference.
Pray tell, what exactly should I base my opinion on Lucky Star being bad, if not personal preferance? How many episodes it has? The alignment of the stars? Should I travel up to the highest mountain of the Eastern world and ask the mystical guru on what my opinion of something should be? Please, guide me, Poison_Fish. I'm adrift in a sea of confusion.

Tengu_temp
2008-12-27, 04:16 PM
It wouldn't hurt if you precised what makes you dislike it so much, instead of saying "I hate it because it sucks!", only in a more verbose form.

Nevrmore
2008-12-27, 04:20 PM
It wouldn't hurt if you precised what makes you dislike it so much, instead of saying "I hate it because it sucks!", only in a more verbose form.
Did you miss the part where I said it has trite, meaningless stories with annoying characters, dialogue and voices, or are you just purposely ignoring that to pretend that you have a point?

Tengu_temp
2008-12-27, 04:25 PM
But what you're saying is basically "everything about this show annoys me". We know that already. Say something more specific.

And stop being so aggressive, while we're at it. It doesn't make anyone look smarter.

Trizap
2008-12-27, 04:30 PM
ok, look I may not have watched Lucky star, but I do know when someone is being a jerk and troll. Nevrmore, stop it.

Nevrmore
2008-12-27, 04:39 PM
But what you're saying is basically "everything about this show annoys me". We know that already. Say something more specific.

And stop being so aggressive, while we're at it. It doesn't make anyone look smarter.
I'm not really sure how exactly you expect me to be more specific than "The writing is bad, the jokes are bad, the plots are bad, the opening theme is bad, the characters are bad, the dialogue is bad, and the voices are bad." What do you want from me? Examples? Do I need to make a flow chart or something? Seriously, help me out here.

Also, I'm noticing a trend here of whenever I get into it with people on this board, they seem to fall back on this whole "You use big words!" thing. I suppose I should take it as a compliment.

ok, look I may not have watched Lucky star, but I do know when someone is being a jerk and troll.
Also noticing the trend of people labeling me a troll when I start arguing. That's just getting tedious, really.

Nevrmore, stop it.
Nah.

kamikasei
2008-12-27, 04:43 PM
annoying characters, dialogue and voices

Surely you must recognize that "annoying" cannot be an objective judgement. Obviously others in this thread are not annoyed by the characters or voices, so the fact that they grate on you does not make them bad.

When you mix in subjective judgements ("the voices annoy me") with objective ones ("the writing is poor"), even valid criticisms are diluted.

Nevrmore
2008-12-27, 04:57 PM
Surely you must recognize that "annoying" cannot be an objective judgement. Obviously others in this thread are not annoyed by the characters or voices, so the fact that they grate on you does not make them bad.
How exactly do you expect me to present an objective argument when presenting my opinion? The term "bad" itself is subjective, so yes, to me, the fact that the voices are annoying makes them bad.

When you mix in subjective judgements ("the voices annoy me") with objective ones ("the writing is poor"), even valid criticisms are diluted.
I think you ought to consult a dictionary if you think that "the writing is poor" is objective.

kamikasei
2008-12-27, 05:04 PM
How exactly do you expect me to present an objective argument when presenting my opinion? The term "bad" itself is subjective, so yes, to me, the fact that the voices are annoying makes them bad.
I think you ought to consult a dictionary if you think that "the writing is poor" is objective.

Hey, I don't know critical theory, but apparently a lot of people have spent a long time claiming that you can compare two works on at least some objective grounds. I assumed you were claiming to come from that same foundation.

If what you've actually been saying is simply "I didn't like the show" then, firstly, there's no point discussing that further and, secondly, you made rather a hash of getting your point across.

It also seems rather pointless to chastise others for comparing a show you like to one you don't if you won't even try to claim any objective difference in their qualities.

Trizap
2008-12-27, 05:05 PM
I'm not really sure how exactly you expect me to be more specific than "The writing is bad, the jokes are bad, the plots are bad, the opening theme is bad, the characters are bad, the dialogue is bad, and the voices are bad." What do you want from me? Examples? Do I need to make a flow chart or something? Seriously, help me out here.

Also, I'm noticing a trend here of whenever I get into it with people on this board, they seem to fall back on this whole "You use big words!" thing. I suppose I should take it as a compliment.

Also noticing the trend of people labeling me a troll when I start arguing. That's just getting tedious, really.

Nah.

ok then. :smallyuk:

The Evil Thing
2008-12-27, 05:06 PM
OK, can we all be big boys and girls and just drop this? In his opinion Lucky Star sucks on the grounds that he dislikes everything about it. His reasons for disliking everything about it are purely academic since his opinion is in a minority and thus shouldn't really reflect overly poorly on the show, especially since others have taken such exception to his remarks.

Poison_Fish
2008-12-27, 05:12 PM
And suddenly

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y286/Flib/MinoruHijack.png

It's lucky channel time.

The Evil Thing
2008-12-27, 06:14 PM
Live Action Sebastian is better.

Talkkno
2008-12-27, 09:37 PM
A good localization from Bandai USA? Sorry, they used up all their actual talent years ago on Cowboy Bebop.

I bought a few of their Lucky star DVDs, and i found the dubbing to be pretty good actually.

Nerd-o-rama
2008-12-28, 10:34 AM
They get credit for picking the right voice actors, at least. I'm mainly complaining about Gundam dubs anyway, which are almost universally So Camp It's Awesome.

Ebonsword
2008-12-29, 12:10 PM
That is because some infinitely brilliant person decided that it would be a good idea to put them in chronological order on the DVD, instead of the order they were broadcast in and that the narrative structure was created for them to be shown in. Episode 6 of the chronological order is in fact the last episode of the broadcast order. The last eight episodes chronologically were written to be foreshadowing episode 6, giving you hints at what happened there and how it affected Haruhi and Kyon, putting the importance of that episode clearly there without really explaining what happened.

Ah, that makes sense. I kind of wish that one of the half-dozen people who recommended the series had pointed that out, though. :smallconfused:

Anyway, on a different topic, I started rewatching Azumanga Daioh again. I must have been momentarily insane when I said that I liked this series but didn't love it. :smallredface: AD has to be one of the best series ever!

I would totally love to see a show devoted to just Yukari and Minamo. I find them endlessly entertaining.