PDA

View Full Version : Revenant Blade and Two-weapon fighting

Bassikpoet
2008-12-08, 09:35 PM
So, it seems to me that the reason two-handed weapons win out over two-weapon fighting is that two handed weapons get double damage from power attack, which seems to be the main way to deal damage (excluding sneak attack and other precision damage).

However, there is a class called the revenant blade in the Player's Guide to Eberron. In addition to giving you specific bonus feats that you can change everyday with meditation, the capstone ability is the ability to treat both ends of the double scimitar as a two handed weapon for the purpose of power attack and adding 1.5 str to regular damage. Ignoring fluff restrictions, such as required race and being specific to the double scimitar, is this the answer to a non-sneak attacking two-weapon fighter? Or is there something that I'm missing?

EDIT: Realized this would be ineffective for any play below 10th level. Therefore ignore these levels in your analysis, please.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-12-08, 09:45 PM
There are several issues with TWF. It needs MAD stats, requires several feats, it involves massive money investment into the gear, and after all of that it still isn't as good for damage as THF. This mitigates exactly one of those issues, and may raise others(not having seen the class). At the least, it takes up levels that could easily go into anything else.

Eldariel
2008-12-08, 10:06 PM
Of course, Revenent Blade is awesome. When C. War came out, Fighter 2/Swashbuckler 3/Dervish 10/Revenant Blade 5 was one of the big builds. Most people just don't have access to Revenant Blade though due to the fact that it's in a campaign settings accessory (from what I understand, that's the rarest kind for people to acquire) and has a heavy fluff component associated. Anyways, yes, it allows TWFers to hit for massive damage, but and it even helps the feat issues somewhat, but you still need something to tackle the mobility issue (back then, Dervish was the best option; nowadays, Lion-totem Barbarian and ToB offer alternatives that don't require 3 crappy feats).