PDA

View Full Version : Campaign crashed to a halt, need advice

mikethepoor
2008-12-08, 10:14 PM
I just got thrown out of a 7th-level game by the DM, for refusing to heal the party's frenzied berserker right away after she critted me in her frenzy and dropped me from 60 to negatives. [I did get a potion afterward, from the party member that struck me down.] Since then, arguing has pretty much derailed the campaign. Did I do something wrong, and if so, what?

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-12-08, 10:16 PM
This is why all right-thinking DMs ban the Frenzied Berserker. And I don't think you did anything wrong, I think it was a reasonable in-character decision to not help the guy who nearly killed you, though without knowing more about how you refused, I can't be sure.

mikeejimbo
2008-12-08, 10:18 PM
I'd like some more information about that. When did it happen, and when did you refuse to heal her? Was it immediately afterward? I wouldn't think it would be very easy for you to heal her if you're in the negatives! Also, was it in-character for you to refuse that?

mikethepoor
2008-12-08, 10:24 PM
Considering my character is (or was) quite the accomplished healer (a class level in Radiant Servant of Pelor, even), he's normally ready to volunteer his healing magic. Considering he nearly got killed by the woman who's now demanding healing from him, he kinda put that on hold for a minute in his rage. This is not normally in character for him, but then he usually doesn't almost get teamkilled either.

EDIT: Apparently, the DM's going to try to continue without me, and simply let another player create a 7th (or possibly 8th; the party apparently leveled) level cleric.

Oracle_Hunter
2008-12-08, 10:25 PM
Whatever you did, it doesn't sound like a banning offense. Yes, if you had said "I'll never heal you again" that might have been over the line, but unless you were a problem player before, I don't see why you'd get bounced.

In any case, it might be good to just kill the campaign, start over with fresh characters, and maybe a new DM. If that doesn't work then, I'm sorry to say, it looks like you've lost a gaming group.

BRC
2008-12-08, 10:27 PM
I would say that was a legitimate in-character decision. Perhaps later your character would regret it and apologize, but at that moment your thought wouldn't be "I am a servant of Pelor, it is my job to heal and aid the rightous" it would be "This Crazy B**h almost KILLED ME!"

mikethepoor
2008-12-08, 10:27 PM
I did screw up at 1st level, by not being close enough to heal the party bard before he stepped on an explosive tile that nearly killed him. I hung back, thinking the party didn't need my healing spells as they'd taken very little damage. Stupid mistake, I know.

BRC
2008-12-08, 10:28 PM
I did screw up at 1st level, by not being close enough to heal the party bard before he stepped on an explosive tile that nearly killed him. I hung back, thinking the party didn't need my healing spells as they'd taken very little damage. Stupid mistake, I know.
An honest mistake, nothing to get hung up about.

mikethepoor
2008-12-08, 10:29 PM
An honest mistake, nothing to get hung up about.

Unless you're my DM, who thinks I'm useful as a healing battery and nothing more. This belief is only reinforced by the party's main tank, the berserker that nearly killed me.

Mando Knight
2008-12-08, 10:30 PM
but at that moment your thought wouldn't be "I am a servant of Pelor, it is my job to heal and aid the rightous" it would be "This Crazy B**h almost KILLED ME!"

I don't think even a Paladin should fall for thinking that.

Consider it the "Fall Test." If your character is good, and he does something that a Paladin, within reason, would not fall for attempting, there is no logical reason to ban the character.

Go ClericZilla. That might change your DM's opinions on Clerics.

Oracle_Hunter
2008-12-08, 10:32 PM
Unless you're my DM, who thinks I'm useful as a healing battery and nothing more. This belief is only reinforced by the party's main tank, the berserker that nearly killed me.

Yeah, when your DM is telling you how to play your character, it's time to either have a chat or leave.

Particularly if said DM is going to throw a fit when you act against his will.

mikethepoor
2008-12-08, 10:32 PM
I don't think even a Paladin should fall for thinking that.

Consider it the "Fall Test." If your character is good, and he does something that a Paladin, within reason, would not fall for attempting, there is no logical reason to ban the character.

Go ClericZilla. That might change your DM's opinions on Clerics.

I was actually planning on something similar, before I got thrown out.

Flickerdart
2008-12-08, 10:35 PM
You should have asked your DM who was playing your character: you or him?

Recommended course of action: Ask the DM what he would do if you gave him a medkit as a present and some time later, beat him within an inch of death, then asked for the medkit back.

mikethepoor
2008-12-08, 10:36 PM
You should have asked your DM who was playing your character: you or him?

Recommended course of action: Ask the DM what he would do if you gave him a medkit as a present and some time later, beat him within an inch of death, then asked for the medkit back.

I tried that line of logic. He didn't care. Supposedly I've always been an awful cleric.

The Glyphstone
2008-12-08, 10:38 PM
And you're playing under this loser why?

mikethepoor
2008-12-08, 10:39 PM
And you're playing under this loser why?

I'm not any more. He can burn in the lowest layer of the Abyss as far as I'm concerned.

The Glyphstone
2008-12-08, 10:40 PM
Good - he was an idiot and a jerk, and so were your fellow players for taking advantage of your character like that. Find a new group and you'll be much better off.

Mr.Bookworm
2008-12-08, 10:40 PM
I tried that line of logic. He didn't care. Supposedly I've always been an awful cleric.

I believe the appropriate response is to "accidentally" burn his campaign notes, and then find yourself a new gaming group.

Seriously, this guy sounds like an 11 on the Tool-O-Meter.

EDIT: If you can't find a group immediately, might I suggest PbP?

We have a pretty excellent community of PbPers here.

mikethepoor
2008-12-08, 10:44 PM
I believe the appropriate response is to "accidentally" burn his campaign notes, and then find yourself a new gaming group.

Seriously, this guy sounds like an 11 on the Tool-O-Meter.

EDIT: If you can't find a group immediately, might I suggest PbP?

We have a pretty excellent community of PbPers here.

He's also a rookie, and it's all online, so no notes to burn.

Mr.Bookworm
2008-12-08, 10:46 PM
He's also a rookie, and it's all online, so no notes to burn.

Virus. Set it so it replaces his background with the symbol of Pelor, too.

Mando Knight
2008-12-08, 10:48 PM
so no notes to burn.

Blast. I was hoping to recommend various acidic powders...

Or detcord. That always works. (My university even sponsors a "Blow S#!t Up Day...)

Mr.Bookworm
2008-12-08, 10:53 PM
(My university even sponsors a "Blow S#!t Up Day...)

Please tell me where you go.

Any university that sponsors a Blow **** Up Day has to be awesome.

Mando Knight
2008-12-08, 11:07 PM
Missouri S&T, formerly known as UMR, and before that, MSM. It's an engineering university, primarily, but also has extensive science and mathematics programs, and also offers MBAs and History and English (I think) majors...

"Blow S#!t Up" is how they spell the event on the poster...

It's also got a FLGS that sells OotS books only a few blocks away, and a fencing club.

mikethepoor
2008-12-08, 11:12 PM
Thanks guys. I'm pretty sure I won't play with this DM again.

jguy
2008-12-08, 11:16 PM
sounds like the time I was yelled at for threatening not to heal characters after I was forcibly dropped into a dark pit that an entire tower fell into. Oh, and the pit suddenly ended into utter blackness. It was the "halfling yo-yo" situation. Idiots.

mikeejimbo
2008-12-08, 11:24 PM

Why isn't that the bard's fault for stepping on the tile?

turkishproverb
2008-12-08, 11:34 PM
Wow. Crappy Online DM. I recommend starting another group and sending all the other people besides the DM invites in a chatroom. Loudly. with the DM present.

mikethepoor
2008-12-08, 11:37 PM
Why isn't that the bard's fault for stepping on the tile?

You tell me.

mikeejimbo
2008-12-08, 11:40 PM
You tell me.

Oh, I think I know. Because Clerics are Rodney Dangerfield. They don't get no respect.

mikethepoor
2008-12-08, 11:49 PM
Oh, I think I know. Because Clerics are Rodney Dangerfield. They don't get no respect.

Indeed. I'm now tempted to shatter this DM in half with an optimized wizard.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-12-08, 11:57 PM
Indeed. I'm now tempted to shatter this DM in half with an optimized wizard.Yeah, if I wasn't going to the middle of Montana for a week I'd ask you to refer me to him so I could join, go massively Zilla, and leave.

mikethepoor
2008-12-09, 12:16 AM
Oh fantastic. I just found out I've been replaced by a cleric who has no idea how to play a cleric, simply so the DM can have a healer without me.

EDIT: The new guy seems to be a quick study. Still, I advised him and our party's ranger, who's just as sick of that DMing as I am, to simply not play. They disagreed.

Elm11
2008-12-09, 12:29 AM
awww, how cute.

give the new guy pms on how to f**k over the group with bad healing, and eventually get him to go evil on their butts, just when they need him :smallamused:.

Raum
2008-12-09, 12:53 AM
I just got thrown out of a 7th-level game by the DM, for refusing to heal the party's frenzied berserker right away after she critted me in her frenzy and dropped me from 60 to negatives. [I did get a potion afterward, from the party member that struck me down.] Since then, arguing has pretty much derailed the campaign. Did I do something wrong, and if so, what?The DM sounds like a ****. I suspect you're better off finding a different DM to game with.

Thanks guys. I'm pretty sure I won't play with this DM again.Bad gaming is not better than no gaming. Don't waste your time on people who can't show basic respect for their friends and associates.

Oh fantastic. I just found out I've been replaced by a cleric who has no idea how to play a cleric, simply so the DM can have a healer without me.So what? Pity the guy if anything. He's got to deal with that DM.

Who_Da_Halfling
2008-12-09, 11:04 AM
yeah this is really just a case of bad DMing. not to toot my own horn, but when the party Ninja (I know, i know, I warned him) got knocked down to 3 HP in the 1st round (in which he acted first and ran into melee), the party cleric was like "I'm not wasting healing on you if I have to heal you every round!"

I thought that was hilarious.

That Ninja survived a session and a half at 1HP (although that time wasn't his fault, he backstabbed someone who had Electric Vengeance and Kelgore's Firebolt prepared. His reflex save saved his life, both from Firebolt and from the actual flames from the tent he was in, which the party wizard set on fire by accident).

Just gotta go with the flow a bit more. Seriously, unless you were like actively trying to totally screw the Berserker (like saying you'll heal her and using Inflict instead of Cure), you shoulda gotten some RP points for that. That'd be like a field medic getting almost killed by an ally's full-bore machine gun fire and then getting bitched out for not giving the dude a bandage.

-JM

Frerezar
2008-12-09, 03:00 PM
Ok that is just fhuckign disrespectfull towards clerics. They are one of the better most flavorfull classes around, not just some freaking bandaid box. And to get banned for refusing to heal a frednzied berserker (who btw souds like also a douchhebag) is just assanine. Last time I got banned from a ame it involved me turning the entyre party towards evil acts wich included devastating the island of LANTAN with earthquakes, tsunamis and all around destructive magic. Making the air posonous and salting the land. Of course y then every single inhabitant had eoter fled or been terminated. NOW that is more like it on a campaig that had as a requirement by the dm GOOD ONLY.
Just find a group tat plays face to face nstead of some computer,

mikethepoor
2008-12-09, 05:59 PM
So what? Pity the guy if anything. He's got to deal with that DM.

I do. I pity the fact that he, and our ranger, are so D&D deprived that they're willing to put up with this. We've had four players stop playing under our last DM (who is now the berserker in this game) already.

Flickerdart
2008-12-09, 06:23 PM
Berserkers always fail Balance checks when Frenzying, I do believe. Grease is a 1st level spell. Enjoy.

mikethepoor
2008-12-09, 06:27 PM
Berserkers always fail Balance checks when Frenzying, I do believe. Grease is a 1st level spell. Enjoy.

No sorcerers/wizards in the party. Bardarian said he'd try Calm Emotions. I'm gonna laugh the first time the berserker succeeds on her Will save against that and grinds him into paste.

Ethdred
2008-12-10, 09:26 AM
Just reading this makes me want to start DMing another Pbp campaign! You are definitely better off out of there. Good luck with your next game.

KKL
2008-12-10, 09:31 AM
Your plight reminded me of playing a Priest in RO.

My heart extends to you in synpathy for the terrible experience, and thank whatever deity pokes it's nose aorund this corner of the internet that you're off of his game.

KevLar
2008-12-10, 10:10 AM
I didn't quite understand if you were kicked out because:

1) You did something completely out of character (a healer who doesn't heal? preposterous!), therefore broke everyone's immersion or something. In short, poor role-playing.
-or-
2) You did something that impedes the game (if you don't heal your tank, your group won't survive, buddy). In short, poor team-work as a player.

If it's the former, I'd say it depends on the circumstances, and it's pretty harsh even so. Kicking someone out for poor role-playing should be done after repeated offenses, methinks, and after a talk that will help him realize what he's been doing wrong, and have the chance to correct it. Not out of the blue.

In any case, a healer who, at one time, is so pissed off at someone that -for the moment, at least, in the heat of the moment and all- doesn't heal, is not so irrational. I could justify it in character (though I have no information on what kind of person it is you were playing, so I can't be sure). Your only problem is that Frenzied Berzerkers can't control themselves, therefore it wasn't her fault, technically. Still, it could be justified, and even be an opportunity for good role playing, if you would later come to your senses and forgive her etc. "Pelor, forgive her, for she did not know what she was doing".

If it's the latter, again it depends on how you act as a rule, and what you had in mind to do from now on. If you meant to stop healing that crazy chick all together, the game would be very difficult to play. That is, indeed, poor teamwork. Even if it was in character to do so, the wise thing in such cases is to find a reason for your character to act to everyone's benefit.

But if you meant to refuse healing just for this one, very particular case, and would proceed normally from then on, I see no problem at all. And it was a very, very poor choice for your DM to kick you out.

Talic
2008-12-10, 10:34 AM
Level 7? Why go ClericZilla? Yeah, you could DMM Persist a few spell, have some Nightsticks...

Or you could go Tauric. You can take the base setup below, and it's a valid ECL 7 Character. Add in 1 level of Barbarian, and BE the party.

On One side of the Tauric Template:
Mommy: Human. (per PHb)
On the other:
Daddy:Shadow/Paragon/Half Celestial/Half Dragon/Half Earth Elemental/Pseudonatural/Legendary Unicorn (Magical Beast)

No Tijuana jokes, please. He's sensitive.

Daddy's modifiers:
HD 4d8, Quadruped, Large.

Base Stats:
Str 78, Dex 50, Con 62, Wis 52, Cha 48

Final Blend:

Type: Monstrous Humanoid
Size: Large, Quadruped
HD: 4d8
AC: Not calculating, +25 or higher
Attacks and damage: Not calculating, not important to challenge
Special attacks: Not calculating, too many to list without receiving college credit for the thesis.
Special Qualities: See above.
Saves: Not Calculating, +10 insight, and more
Abilities: Str +68, Dex +50, Con +52
Skills: Not calculating.
Feats: 2
LA: As base humanoid +3 (or +3)

4 Racial Hit Dice, +3 LA... But those aren't the sweet numbers.
+26 Constitution modifier. Yes, your modifier will likely be higher than anyone else in the party's actual score.

+20 Dex modifier... Unless you have a really high dex rogue, the same applies.

+34 Str Modifier... Yeah, the Frenzied Berzerker will likely be able to get his score past your modifier... Who cares?

You get luck, insight, sacred, profane, and untyped bonuses to everything. You have a buttload of spells.
You get hella fast healing, the ability to give yourself total concealment, the ability to ignore miss chance from concealment...
You set yourself up for a brutal hulking hurler build. I mean, you're a large quadruped with an off the table strength.

Assuming you get 1st HD max, and the rest averaged?
163 hp. Good times.

KevLar
2008-12-10, 10:48 AM
Ah, powergaming advice in a thread about role-playing and general behavior between DM and players.

Talic, I missed you. :smalltongue:

Talic
2008-12-10, 11:12 AM
Ah, powergaming advice in a thread about role-playing and general behavior between DM and players.

Talic, I missed you. :smalltongue:

I'm sorry, KevLar. I suppose the advice hidden within the chunk of Gouda I posted up there is "revenge is good".

More specifically, the OP's DM seems to have a problem with being a slave to party roles.

So shatter the concept.

mikej
2008-12-10, 11:29 AM
Idiotic reason to get kicked out of a gaming group, but I do understand the feeling when playing a healer-type character. In my group the Cleric is thought to be the first aid kit and that particular player's opinions & playstyle are ignored. Yes healing the party is important but the player has his/her can do whatever they want in the game...not standby to sew the fighters leg back on