PDA

View Full Version : [4e]Feral Spirit

Mauril Everleaf
2008-12-09, 12:04 AM
So I'm building myself a Beastmaster Ranger and would like to use the Feral Spirit Paragon Path. I have run into a snag, though. Two of the powers are a bit ambiguous. The text on Feral Diversion under Hit says, "2[B] + Strength modifier + Dexterity Modifier damage..." and the text on Twin-Soul Strike under Hit for the secondary attack says the same. Other powers using [B] list that the modifier is the "beast's" modifier or "your" modifier. These powers specify neither. So, whose modifier should I use when using these powers?

I asked CustServ and this was their response:
"Unfortunately, there isn’t an official answer for the situation you describe. I’ve passed along this conversation to the game’s developers. Hopefully, we’ll see an update or FAQ entry covering it soon, but until then it’s up to the campaign’s Dungeon Master to decide. The DM is always the final arbiter on how they want their campaign to run. Have fun!"

RTGoodman
2008-12-09, 12:19 AM
For feral diversion, the intent seems to be that your beast companion attacks a target so you can get away. You use the companions's attack, so therefore you should use the companions's modifiers to damage.

For twin-soul strike, the secondary damage should be 2[B] + Beast's Strength modifier + Beast's Dexterity modifier damage. It makes more sense, since the power is supposed to be you hitting a target (the primary attack) and then your companion attacks a target (the secondary attack).

Note: I am in no way a WotC employee or designer, and I can't make any promises as to whether or not that's how any possible errata will work. I just think it makes the most sense to do it the way I suggested.

Mando Knight
2008-12-09, 12:24 AM
I agree with rtg. The beast is the one attacking, so it seems obvious to me that it should use the beast's physical stats, not yours. When it uses your Wisdom modifier in other Beast powers, it's because the beast is following your wise commands.