PDA

View Full Version : Best way to boost a spell DC

La_Carnaval
2008-12-09, 03:57 AM
I would search for this but the function is not working for me. It is stuck on a white screen forever.

But yes, what is the most effective way to boost the spell DC for a one-time use only spell? I'm against a wizard who will probably make his will save against the spell. (An illusion, will save to disbelieve)

Thank you

jcsw
2008-12-09, 04:44 AM
Try the
1. Metallic Dragon's Heart, Optional Material Component, Book of Vile Darkness. 7gp, 30% chance spell DC increased by 1.
2. Yugoloth's Brain, Optional Material Component, Book of Vile Darkness. 5gp, 10% chance no save, 10% chance affects you with no save(this part is irrelevant)
3. Potion of Harmonic Chorus (Check with your DM if concentration spells can be made into potions) or get your bard friend to cast the spell off a scroll for you. +2DC, +2CL to your spells for the duration of the spell.

weenie
2008-12-09, 05:11 AM
Take a look at the feat Spellcasting Prodigy from FRCS too, if you have the time to level up.

BobVosh
2008-12-09, 05:37 AM
Is it "one time spell" as in a scroll?

La_Carnaval
2008-12-09, 05:54 AM
It can be off a scroll, yes. I do have the spell, it is just not something that will be used often. It is permanent image.

Iku Rex
2008-12-09, 06:10 AM
Have an ally cast mystic surge (PHBII) (perhaps from a scroll) on you. Then you cast spell enhancer (SpC) followed by the spell you want to boost.

End result: +3 DC, +3 CL.

BobVosh
2008-12-09, 06:15 AM
It can be off a scroll, yes. I do have the spell, it is just not something that will be used often. It is permanent image.

Oh. That is easy then. They don't get to make a save until they interact with it. So you don't need to boost the DC on it. Unless you want it to keep fooling them the fifth time they walk into it or something O.o

kme
2008-12-09, 09:00 AM
Well, you can use limited wish to technically "boost" your DC by 7, but it is high level and is a single target spell in this case.

Darwin
2008-12-09, 09:41 AM
Sounds like the metamagic feat "Heighten Spell" will do the trick for you in this case. It depends on your level though, If all you can cast is 6th level spells it's not gonna be of much use to you.

Other than that maybe you should try and lower the wizard's will save instead, it seems like it would be a lot easier than trying to boost your own DC for a one time spell. :smallwink: A few suggestions could be: Doom, Curse of Ill Fortune, or possibly Unluck.

jcsw
2008-12-09, 10:08 AM
How much can you afford to spend on this?

You could try buying an epicly heightened scroll instead.

(Scrolls don't seem to have that pesky x10 for epicness...)

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/magicItems/scrolls.htm

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-12-09, 10:17 AM
Of course, if you get the chance, you can also try and soften him up by piling on penalties to his save. A few negative levels from enervation might do the trick. Each one gives a -1 penalty to the save.

Unfortunately, a number of other save-decreasers have Will saves of their own. So you got to dig deep for others.

Immutep
2008-12-09, 03:03 PM
The DC of a spell is affected by the relevant attribute (i.e. Cha for sorceror) modifier so first cast owls wisdom or eagles splendour (whichever is relevant) on yourself then cast the spell.

Frerezar
2008-12-09, 03:15 PM
If it's a one time thing. Get the feat PIOUS SPELLSURGE (complete divine). It can make ONE higher than a college student.

La_Carnaval
2008-12-09, 06:16 PM
I might do the trick with Fox's Cunning plus the Spell Enhancer. That would make the DC good. There is no way to enhance the Cunning or enhancer is there? I would like my image to walk in with the rest of the party and interact with the bad guy for at least a few rounds.