PDA

View Full Version : [4E] optional slot items

Orzel
2008-12-09, 04:58 AM
After your main weapon/implement, your armor, and your neck item; it's really jst your gold. A PC is supposed to have "wealth" about equal to 1 item of their level +1, 1 item of their level, 1 item of level -1, and gold equal to the value of an item of the level -1.

How do you afford back up weapons and other slot items?
What is the intended spending habits of an adventurer?

If i spend 1/2 my gold on 1 item it's like 3 levels down.
My head slot item will alway be about 5-6 levels down because I can't sacrifice my weapon, armor, neck item, arm item and back up weapon. No Christmas tree indeed.

2 rings? I can't afford one!

Tengu_temp
2008-12-09, 05:02 AM
4e characters don't need a crapload of magic items to be effective - you only need one weapon, one armor, and one amulet. Everything else is extra.

AgentPaper
2008-12-09, 05:22 AM
If you could get everything, then it wouldn't be "options", now would it? :smallamused:

Kurald Galain
2008-12-09, 05:27 AM
4e characters don't need a crapload of magic items to be effective - you only need one weapon, one armor, and one amulet. Everything else is extra.

Actually, depending on your class, you might not even need that. For instance, if you're a ranged striker or a wizard, assuming the defenders are doing their job, you really don't need top-notch magical armor or amulet.

Regarding getting other slot items, at low levels the answer is simply "you don't"; starting from high heroic tier, the answer is that lower level items are very cheap and still very useful (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97322). If you're level 10, buy a bunch of level-3 utility things for a neglegible amount of gold each.

Ceaon
2008-12-09, 06:33 AM
Also, when your character levels naturally from level 1 to level 8, he will get more items than just a level 7, 8 and 9 item, and more gold too. The problem is: he can't choose those items.
When you create a level 8 character, you choose your level 7, 8 and 9 item. So overall, you have less items, but you probably have a better selection.

Orzel
2008-12-09, 06:55 AM
It hurts my half-elf TWF hammer ranger/paladin. I can't afford an level appropiate armor, 2 hammers, a holy symbol, and neck item.

KKL
2008-12-09, 06:58 AM
It hurts my half-elf TWF hammer ranger/paladin. I can't afford an level appropiate armor, 2 hammers, a holy symbol, and neck item.

And I thought standard TWF was bad enough.

Yeesh.

Oracle_Hunter
2008-12-09, 07:05 AM

aaaand that would be one of the disadvantages of multiclassing & high level play. :smalltongue:

But seriously - I'm presuming your Paladin MC is a STR Paladin, right? You're not going to be using your implement so often, so I'd skimp on it. Oh, and where the heck are you stashing that Holy Symbol if you're already wearing something in your Neck slot? :smallconfused:

Also: I have heard that some DMs will grant you gold equal to your LV -1 item as well, which you can use to purchase your mundane equipment and other magical items. I've tried it out on a couple of spec characters and it doesn't seem to overpower anyone (particularly if you invest in potions) and it'll give you some more gadgets to haul around.

But yeah, in 4E you just don't need a ton of magic to be effective, so you don't get a ton of magic.

Kurald Galain
2008-12-09, 07:06 AM

Get a splitting weapon instead of two hammers. You can't really focus on both weapon attacks and implement attacks (well, it's going to be horribly expensive) so you're better off picking either. 4E favors focus over versatility.

Orzel
2008-12-09, 07:12 AM
DM uses tons of flying junk. Everyone needs a bow, throwing wepons, or an implement.

Mercenary Pen
2008-12-09, 07:13 AM

What start level? If the level's right some compromises might be made... For example, with permission from a DM, a 9th level character might acquire a number of Lv6 magic items (ie. Just enough for +2s) with one or two Lv7 items for greater effect, and convert the difference in price into money to spend on other magic items. Also, how many powers do you have that provide a secondary attack with the off-hand weapon? If there aren't very many, you might consider taking a less-expensive second weapon to start with to free up your money for use elsewhere.

As much as anything else, these solutions depend on how willing your DM is to bail you out, and how willing you are to make small trade-offs for the sake of the overall result...

Oracle_Hunter
2008-12-09, 07:15 AM
DM uses tons of flying junk. Everyone needs a bow, throwing wepons, or an implement.

:smallconfused: How about you let the Wizard, Archer, Rogue, or Warlock handle the stuff while it's flying far away, and you just ready an action to attack it when it comes nearby.

Honestly, most of those Paladin powers only have a range of 5 (25'); you're not really going to be able to do much to the flying things if they stay a reasonable distance away.

Artanis
2008-12-09, 01:34 PM
Throwing Hammer, maybe? They're pretty close to the Warhammer in melee effectiveness (2 less damage, +1 on the to-hit), and they're Heavy Thrown, meaning that magic ones return to you after use and your ranged basic attack uses STR instead of DEX. Hell, if you get a Paired Throwing Hammer (AV page 74), you could even Twin Strike with it, albeit with DEX for the to-hit.

I sorta agree with KKL though. I'm no fan of needing to optimize a build, but yours is about as screwed as it gets when it comes to ranged attacks.