PDA

View Full Version : [3.5e] Entirely Core Cleric

Uin
2008-12-09, 06:23 AM
Moving on from the Entirely Core Sorceror (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97358&highlight=core+sorceror) I've got another game coming up where I'm going to be the Entirely Core Cleric. I'll include Cloistered Cleric in this as well (the less stick whacking and more castery thing fits the character and might be available) but other than that it is stuff from the PHB once again.

This time I know a bit more about the world and the character I'll play however, some of which has developed from pbp RP. Its likely fairly high magic, at least full of casters. My character was an average priest until being thrust into the limelight in a ceremony which made him one of five heads of his church, much to his surprise. I was thinking of making him more of a caster than showing up any fighters at their own job and it'll probably start from level 8.

Feats-
Humans: Improved Initiative (as always)
1: Extra Turning
3: Extend
6: Something (Leadership is a possibility, although I'm not clued up on my Leadership cheese)
(9: Quicken)
I hate picking feats in core, after level 9 I'm struggling to think of any good ones.

Domains-
Magic, Travel
These can possibly be changed, but seemed like solid choices, and they've been run by the DM and are fine for RP.

Spell-
This is one of the things I've least sure of, I'm much more familiar with arcane casters. Normally being a god's grunt doesn't appeal to me, however the position of clerics in this campaign was attractive. (I wish I had the option of domain spontaneity)

So, can you help me pick a generic useful everyday spell list? Any advice on Core Cleric matters is welcome.:smallsmile:

Jack_Simth
2008-12-09, 06:29 AM
It'll depend at least partially on whether or not you get the Cloistered Cleric (For the Cloistered Cleric, Identify is a 1st level no components spell, for instance, and certain spells are much less needful due to the prolific skill points). Also, what's the rest of the party like? You generally want to avoid overlap in utility spells - what's the party Arcanist's spell list look like?

Tehnar
2008-12-09, 06:36 AM
I would go with these choices:

Empower spell: usefull for cure spells, especially if used out of combat to convert (you can convert a lvl 5 slot to empowered cure serious wounds). but beware on how your DM rules empower; For example for a lvl 9 cleric, is empowered cure serious [3d8+9]x1.5 or (3d8)x1.5 + 9?

Scribe scroll: or other craft magic item feats

Shield and/or armor proficiency

Skill focus: concentration

Augument summoning: if you go that route

As for spells, general utility and buffs. Id advise against divine power and righteous might. While useful in some situations I found its generally not worth it. I played a cleric in a campaign from lvl 2 to lvl 15, and unless you got a way to quickly get those combat buffs running (or staying on a long time) its not worth it. Anyway this is what I would suggest for spells:

1st:
Protection from X
Bless
Hide from undead*
Entropic shield

2nd
Aid
Shield other
Silence
Sound burst
Restoration, lesser
Hold person*
Delay poison*
Resist energy

3rd
Dispell
Bestow curse
Prayer
Daylight

4th
Freedom of movement
Death ward
Restoration
Divination
Air walk
Dimensionl anchor

5th
Flame strike
Spell resistance
True seeing
Greater command
Slay living
Commune
Wall of stone

6th
Heal
Harm
Greater Dispell
Heroes feast (yey immunity to poison for the whole party)
Blade barrier

7th
Word of your aligment (beware if party is not aligned as you, however by this time you are doing a poor job as a cleric if you didnt get the party converted to your god :) )
Destruction
Control weather
Repulsion

8th
Holy aura
Firestorm
Spell immunity greater*
Antimagic field

Not so many great higher level spells in core. Suggest you fill them with metamagic lower level spells. Summoning spells are always good, but I didnt use them with my cleric so dont know which ones are really good. *next to a spell denotes a situational spell; great if you know what is coming

Uin
2008-12-09, 06:55 AM
It'll depend at least partially on whether or not you get the Cloistered Cleric (For the Cloistered Cleric, Identify is a 1st level no components spell, for instance, and certain spells are much less needful due to the prolific skill points). Also, what's the rest of the party like? You generally want to avoid overlap in utility spells - what's the party Arcanist's spell list look like?

I don't think the other party member plan as far ahead as I do, but there will be a Wizard, Ranger, Barbarian and possible another Arcanist on top (least likely player to show). I'm going to assume I'll be the regular brand of cleric, its more likely, the DM isn't using much of the d20srd, he could just leave it all together.

Jack_Simth
2008-12-09, 07:51 AM
I don't think the other party member plan as far ahead as I do, but there will be a Wizard, Ranger, Barbarian and possible another Arcanist on top (least likely player to show). I'm going to assume I'll be the regular brand of cleric, its more likely, the DM isn't using much of the d20srd, he could just leave it all together.
Okay. Assuming a fairly standard cleric...

Useful feats:
Craft Wondrous Item means most of your equipment is customized (sell for half, craft for half).
Craft Wand means not having to worry overly much about non-combat healing (Cure Light Wounds*50 - about the cheapest healing you can get, Core).
As a Cleric, you've got the armor proficiency to make decent defensive use of Craft Magic Arms & Armor
(in that order of importance)

Spells:
Domain spells: With Domains Magic and Travel, you probably want Longstrider, Identify, Fly, Dimension Door (and Teleport when you hit 9th).
Other spells:
0: Detect Magic, Light, and Read Magic do the most for an adventurer's day
1: Shield of Faith is a nice defensive spell; Sanctuary is decent for when you're facing hordes of mooks, and Endure Elements is handy for flavor. Take Comprehend Languages if the party Arcanist doesn't.
2: As 8th is relatively low wealth, the assorted animal attribute spells are handy here. Shield Other is a useful buff for the party tank, Shatter and Silence are useful against spellcasting opponents; otherwise, just load up on Spiritual Weapon (it gets better the longer the combat runs, if you keep spamming it)
3: This will depend on what you want to do. Magic Vestments saves on your armor budget (and your entire party's armor budget, once you have a lot of 3rd level spell slots); Invisibility Purge is great for when the arcanist forgets to bring both See Invisibility and Glitterdust. The Magic Circle line is very helpful when you're up against something that uses Domination effects. Wind Wall stops archers cold.
4: Air Walk and Freedom of Movement are very handy here - the first gets you out of combat (when there is a high ceiling), the second keeps the party arcanist from being shut down by a mook that gets in melee range. A few copies of Greater Magic Weapon are handy for your party Skillmonkey and Meatshield once you reach the point where you've got extra slots of this level - that'll be a while, though.

Uin
2008-12-09, 08:22 AM
Thank you for the suggestions on craft feats, normally I don't consider taking them, the games I play are generally not that way inclined. However in absolute core its a better option and my DM may like me making things for the benefit of others (the character will be in partly leadership role).

Looking at Improved Turning feat (+1 on turn checks) makes me sad.