PDA

View Full Version : Does Power Word: Sleep exist in 3.5?

Hannibal
2008-12-09, 08:18 AM
I realize this question may be a popular one, but forum searches have been unfruitful. Please forgive my negligence if I've overlooked an answer in plain sight.

Kaiyanwang
2008-12-09, 08:36 AM
Other "power word: something" spells other than the core ones are in Races of Dragon.

They should be pain,maladroit, deafen, nauseate, sicken, and weaken. If other exist, I don't remember.

Sinfire Titan
2008-12-09, 08:54 AM
Why waste the slot, when you can give the Fighter a blunt object and cast Gratuitous Amounts of Pain and Violence (http://http://www.d20srd.org/srd/classes/bard.htm) instead? Then just tell him to knock the bastard out.

kamikasei
2008-12-09, 09:00 AM
Well, there're sleep and deep slumber...

Kristoss
2008-12-09, 09:06 AM
Well, there're sleep and deep slumber...

Try sleep and meta-magic still spell. Thats probably why theres no Power eord Sleep spell.

Desilva
2008-12-09, 09:34 AM
I'm more interested in more powerful ways of putting targets to sleep. I had pondered just creating my own spells for it, and the idea of a Power Word: Sleep is very interesting. But how to balance it?

kamikasei
2008-12-09, 10:09 AM
Try sleep and meta-magic still spell. Thats probably why theres no Power eord Sleep spell.

Oh right, different components. I was wondering why you'd need a power word for it.

trehek
2008-12-09, 10:48 AM
Oh right, different components. I was wondering why you'd need a power word for it.

To increase the effect cap.

Person_Man
2008-12-09, 10:49 AM
No. Power Word covers Blind, Kill, Stun (SRD), plus Deafen, Disable, Distract, Fatigue, Maladroit, Nauseate, Pain, Petrify, Sicken, Weaken (Races of the Dragon).

Note that Sleep is a very potent effect, on par with Petrify or Paralyze. So I'm sure a DM would let you research such a spell, though it would have to be 8th-ish level.

LibraryOgre
2008-12-09, 11:40 AM
The Pseudo-3rd edition game Icewind Dale 2 had a spell Power Word: Sleep (and Power Word: Silence).

It was a Bard 2, Sor/Wiz 2 spell. Medium Range (at a guess; it says "Sight of Caster", but that wasn't that far in IWD2), Will Negates spell that would put any creature, of any HD, asleep if it failed a will save. It lasted for 5 rounds, but I'd be inclined to make it 5rnds/level in PnP.

Power Word: Silence was a Brd 5, Sor/Wiz 6 (a couple specialty priesthoods had it, as well), Medium range, 2 round complete, no save, silence.

Emperor Tippy
2008-12-09, 12:54 PM
No. Power Word covers Blind, Kill, Stun (SRD), plus Deafen, Disable, Distract, Fatigue, Maladroit, Nauseate, Pain, Petrify, Sicken, Weaken (Races of the Dragon).

Note that Sleep is a very potent effect, on par with Petrify or Paralyze. So I'm sure a DM would let you research such a spell, though it would have to be 8th-ish level.

Don't forget Power Word: Orgasm :smallbiggrin:

BobVosh
2008-12-09, 01:03 PM
Don't forget Power Word: Orgasm :smallbiggrin:

Can't we? PLEASE?

Tokiko Mima
2008-12-09, 01:39 PM

Exactly correct. Sleep has also gotten the moniker "Create Slaughterhouse" (http://blog.wired.com/underwire/2008/04/alt-text-video.html) at various times. Never underestimate a power that makes it's victims completely unable to defend themselves, escape or attack in any way, even if it sounds benign.

The Glyphstone
2008-12-09, 02:14 PM
Even if it were limited in the maximum HD it could affect, a la the standard Sleep or Deep Slumber?