PDA

View Full Version : Snow, and lots of it

Zakama
2008-12-09, 10:40 AM
I just got back from shoveling snow for about an hour and 45 minutes... And I'm gonna have to go back and do it again, as it's still coming down. Thankfully though, a guy came by with a snowblower and cleared the sidewalk for me. :smallbiggrin: I'm getting paid $10 and hour shoveling snow for someone this winter, so at this rate I'll be filthy rich by spring. :smallcool:

Anyone else getting cubic miles of snow?

AKA_Bait
2008-12-09, 10:44 AM
Not yet. I hope we do here in NYC though. I'm looking forward to a real snow. I always make mulled wine for the first real snowfall of the year.

Zakama
2008-12-09, 10:46 AM
That reminds me...

*prepares for people in the UK complaining like they did last year about not getting snow*

Jack Squat
2008-12-09, 11:01 AM
@^ Ha. I'm not in the UK :smalltongue:

I'm hoping we get some decent snow here. So far, we've had a couple light flurries. It stuck once...for an hour.

Dr Legostar
2008-12-09, 11:03 AM
snow/rain here, it can't make up it's mind, but at least it warmed up slightly.

Cristo Meyers
2008-12-09, 11:06 AM
Ugh, you can keep your snow...hate hate hate it, especially since it only snows just enough to make the morning drive a living hell...

Neko Toast
2008-12-09, 11:07 AM
Madison got a lot of snow too, Zakama?

We got a lot up here in Point, too.

I just hope it's not like this at the end of next week. That's when I have to drive back.

mangosta71
2008-12-09, 11:09 AM
Snow? What is this thing?

captain_entropy
2008-12-09, 11:12 AM
i love snow. if for no other reason than it allows me to catch up on classic movies and rent new ones. And . . . . hot chocolate with 5 little marshmallows!

Mauve Shirt
2008-12-09, 11:23 AM
Snow is best when I'm at school. It cancels classes sometimes, and I'm not stuck with the chore of driveway shoveling.
We've had a really light dusting in the past week, it's gone now. I hope we get more, despite the fact that I'm going home this weekend and so would be stuck shoveling the driveway.

Mephibosheth
2008-12-09, 11:28 AM
Snow is best when I'm at school. It cancels classes sometimes, and I'm not stuck with the chore of driveway shoveling.

I would be excited about that, except the schools/districts I've always been associated with (Brookfield, WI and UW-Madison) have long traditions of sucking it up and going to school despite the snow. Grrr Wisconsin! :smallfurious:

Dr Legostar
2008-12-09, 11:30 AM
I would be excited about that, except the schools/districts I've always been associated with (Brookfield, WI and UW-Madison) have long traditions of not having snow days. Grrr Wisconsin! :smallfurious:

that is the trouble with living in places that are used to snowy weather. After moving from Iowa to Kentucky I was amused at how quickly things shut down when they got an inch of snow.

Cristo Meyers
2008-12-09, 11:31 AM
I would be excited about that, except the schools/districts I've always been associated with (Brookfield, WI and UW-Madison) have long traditions of not having snow days. Grrr Wisconsin! :smallfurious:

Get's worse when you're no longer in school. In order for the office to close down we need a phenomenon someone much funnier (and stranger) than I dubbed "Thudding Snow."

It's when you get 8-10 inches of snow all at once in one big drop.

That happens and then maybe, maybe, they'll close the office for the day...anything and you're driving.

Deathslayer7
2008-12-09, 11:33 AM
it only snowed once here in Las Vegas. :smallfrown: That was about 6 years ago. Even then the snow only lasted from 6-8 am. By then, it had all melted again. :smallsigh:

Neko Toast
2008-12-09, 11:34 AM
I would be excited about that, except the schools/districts I've always been associated with (Brookfield, WI and UW-Madison) have long traditions of sucking it up and going to school despite the snow. Grrr Wisconsin! :smallfurious:

You're going to UW Madison?

I pity you.

UncleWolf
I wish I had snow, right now, it is just really cold rain.

Dirk Kris
If there's ice on the roads, everything closes here. Not even snow - the threat of snow. This place turns into a ghost town. It's hilarious.

Mephibosheth
2008-12-09, 11:36 AM
You're going to UW Madison?

Graduated last December. Why the pity? *derails thread*

Get's worse when you're no longer in school. In order for the office to close down we need a phenomenon someone much funnier (and stranger) than I dubbed "Thudding Snow."

It's when you get 8-10 inches of snow all at once in one big drop.

That happens and then maybe, maybe, they'll close the office for the day...anything and you're driving.

I know. I'm typing this post from my office, which of course remains open. It's not so bad since I can take the bus in to work and don't have to drive, but still...

It's the principle of the thing! :smallwink:

UncleWolf
2008-12-09, 11:37 AM
UCM doesn't close at all. My brother still had to go to class in a foot of snow and freezing rain. It was worth it though, he earned a lot of extra credit for it.
The rain from last night is starting to freeze, so I'm going to have to be careful when I leave in 3 minutes.

Dr Legostar
2008-12-09, 11:38 AM
i just hate driving in snowy/icy weather. Not because I mind the ice and snow, though they are often less than fun, it just seems to me that when the weather gets bad people's IQs drop dramatically.

"Ice! Oh no! I'll go faster! That'll help!"

captain_entropy
2008-12-09, 11:44 AM
you got to love when you are driving, and not fast at all, almost entirely stopped really, and you just slowly glide into something. but you're moving like 4 miles an hour; straight into a ditch.

Cristo Meyers
2008-12-09, 11:46 AM
you got to love when you are driving, and not fast at all, almost entirely stopped really, and you just slowly glide into something. but you're moving like 4 miles an hour; straight into a ditch.

Now imagine you're on your first date with a new girlfriend and that happens...

...just one of many lovely occurances that night...

Dr Legostar
2008-12-09, 11:50 AM
Now imagine you're on your first date with a new girlfriend and that happens...

...just one of many lovely occurances that night...

Was she still your girlfriend after that?

Cristo Meyers
2008-12-09, 11:51 AM
Was she still your girlfriend after that?

She's my wife :smallbiggrin:

Mordokai
2008-12-09, 11:51 AM
If there's ice on the roads, everything closes here. Not even snow - the threat of snow. This place turns into a ghost town. It's hilarious.

I love me a good ghost town. You have vacancies, by any chance?

As far as snow is concerned... we had it, it's gone already. From the looks of it, there will be none, at least not until March or April. You gotta love the crazy weather.

Dr Legostar
2008-12-09, 11:52 AM
She's my wife :smallbiggrin:

well then, it went fine, quit complaining!

Cristo Meyers
2008-12-09, 11:53 AM
well then, it went fine, quit complaining!

I refuse!

*complaincomplaincomplain*

Dr Legostar
2008-12-09, 11:55 AM
I refuse!

*complaincomplaincomplain*

That's it. I'm putting your name on the list!

Jack Squat
2008-12-09, 12:02 PM
i just hate driving in snowy/icy weather. Not because I mind the ice and snow, though they are often less than fun, it just seems to me that when the weather gets bad people's IQs drop dramatically.

"Ice! Oh no! I'll go faster! That'll help!"

We've got the opposite. One snowflake/raindrop/whatever and no one goes above 35 (45 if you're on the highway).

Also, if someone mentions the word snow in passing conversation, everyone flocks to the grocery stores to stock up like they're going to be trapped in a bunker for 3 months....we're lucky if there's any snow left the next day.

purple gelatinous cube o' Doom
2008-12-09, 12:13 PM
Here in the Twin Cities, we got 3-5 inches yesterday/last night. Which is not quite as bad as the southern part of the state, which got about 10.

Ego Slayer
2008-12-09, 12:17 PM
I had snow for a while. And then it rained.
And then I had snow again for like... two days. And now its raining again. :smallsigh:

Apparently over the next week the temp range is going jump around between 32 and 48 (0 and 9 for you crazies). WTF. Dx

Do not want.

purple gelatinous cube o' Doom
2008-12-09, 12:22 PM
Apparently over the next week the temp range is going jump around between 32 and 48 (0 and 9 for you crazies). WTF. Dx

Do not want.

32 would be a heat wave here for us. It's 16 with a windchill of 4 at the moment, with the temp going below zero at night for the next few days. So we've got teens/single digit temps to look forwards to for about the next week.

Dr Legostar
2008-12-09, 12:28 PM
We've got the opposite. One snowflake/raindrop/whatever and no one goes above 35 (45 if you're on the highway).

that's really far more preferable.

UncleWolf
2008-12-09, 12:44 PM
Heh, I just won some pizza off of a friend. I told him that we would get freezing rain instead of snow today.:smallamused:

I have a knack for telling what the weather is going to be.

Dr Legostar
2008-12-09, 12:50 PM
have you considered using this power for evil? or more evil as you're getting food from people, so it's a little evil.

UncleWolf
2008-12-09, 01:09 PM
have you considered using this power for evil? or more evil as you're getting food from people, so it's a little evil.

Nah, It is a regular thing between us. I've only lost once. I was 1 hour off.

Dr Legostar
2008-12-09, 01:10 PM
Nah, It is a regular thing between us. I've only lost once. I was 1 hour off.

well, you know, think about the evil thing.

mangosta71
2008-12-09, 01:13 PM
Indeed. Superpowers should always be used for evil.

Back on topic, it was actually cold enough here for it to snow a couple days ago. Of course, there wasn't a cloud to be seen. Soon as the clouds moved in, the temperature shot up to the 40s again. So now we have lots of cold rain soaking shoes and socks and pant legs and generally making life miserable. I'd rather have snow. At least you can brush the stuff off once you get inside.

Morty
2008-12-09, 02:00 PM
No snow here. It's preety cold, but still above 0 degrees, and it doesn't look like we'll get any snow in a while.:smallannoyed: Christmas is going so suck again.

T-O-E
2008-12-09, 02:06 PM
Haven't had any snow for two years.

Trog
2008-12-09, 05:00 PM
Yup. We got 9 inches of snow I think. The schools were closed (and there was much rejoicing from the kids) and I called into work today because I couldn't get the snowblower to start in the morning and thus could not get my car out past the foot and half drift in front of the garage. :smallsigh:

Finally did get it started though and I'm all cleared out again. Thankfully. The new set of Dunlop tires will help a lot too. Yay traction! :smallsmile:

TRM
2008-12-09, 05:15 PM
Yes, snow here too. More than I wanted. Fortunately, all my friends were off school because of the snow and I got to go sledding with some of them. Unfortunately, I had to walk 3 miles each way to get to the sledding hill.

I like snow for about... 2 weeks; but I end up having it for... about 16 months. :smallannoyed: Then I remember summer and how much more fun my life was when I had mobility and didn't have to wear a shirt. Really, anything below 12° (that's 55° for you crazies) is too cold for me; but, I have to struggle through terrible winters—at least until I move out of the parents' house.

An Enemy Spy
2008-12-09, 05:18 PM
Where I live there is virtually no snow at all. *sob*

Calanais
2008-12-09, 06:22 PM
No snow here! (Pesky Gulf Stream). 3-6 Celsius and lots of rain :smallsigh:, still, winds below 50mph all week!

RTGoodman
2008-12-09, 06:34 PM
After moving from Iowa to Kentucky I was amused at how quickly things shut down when they got an inch of snow.

Jack Squat had it pretty much right HERE. In NC, as it apparently is in TN, people FREAK OUT as soon as there's any sort of weather worse than cold rain. Seriously, even if there's a 20% chance of freezing rain, there's a run on grocery stores and people literally buy as much bread, milk, and eggs are they can carry. I'm still not sure why, seeing as how, well, if the power goes out, your stupid mass-hysteria-fueled purchase is going to spoil pretty fast with no refridgerator.

I'm jealous of all you snow-laden people - I haven't seen good snow in about 5-6 years. As in, most everything I've seen since then has been flurries or maybe an inch or two total, which is usually gone in a day or two. Back my sophomore year of high school (December 2002 - I feel so old! :smallsigh:), we had a foot or two, we were out of school for a full week almost, and a lot of people were without power for almost two weeks. It was glorious (especially since we were poor-ish at the time, living in a house with the only means of heating being a fireplace and occasionally an oil-powered furnace).

Extra_Crispy
2008-12-10, 04:51 AM
ARG.. keep the snow, I want NOTHING to do with that white stuff. It is bad enough when I had to turn the heater on in the house 2 weeks ago. I would rather it be 110 F, then even 60 F. That is why I live in Arizona, and will never move.

thubby
2008-12-10, 05:53 AM
i think my weather is bipolar or something. over the weekend we got some light flurries, and it was close to 60 today :smalleek:

i wants my snow for boarding :smallfurious:

Lorn
2008-12-10, 07:44 AM
That reminds me...

*prepares for people in the UK complaining like they did last year about not getting snow*
Northeast England here.

Last Thursday I had two and a half inches when I woke up, and it got to four inches by half ten in the morning.

Climbing the obscenely steep hill to 6th form was not fun. Especially to find that it was still open, despite about a third of the teachers and a quarter of the pupils getting in...

Alien
2008-12-10, 09:40 AM
It's just snowed twice here this far, and only once did it even stay on the ground for a while.

I've just once had a school day cancelled from snow. I lived at the tip of a windy island then (and when I say windy, well, the storms there have been known to strip the asphalt off the roads), above the polar circle, and there'd been a blizzard all night. It was still raging when I went to school, I even wore a jacket, and had to hold on to fences, light poles and the like to not be blown away, and couldn't see more than a meter ahead of me. When I eventually reached the school, it turned out that the storm had blown off a heap of power poles and there was no light to teach by. They tried lighting candles, but that didn't nearly illuminate enough (and there was no sunlight, since this was over the polar circle). After a few hours, they gave up on the power coming back on that day, and sent us back out into the blizzard to go home.
'Course, since the power was out, we couldn't even spend the rest of the day playing computer games or watching tv.

Cynan Machae
2008-12-10, 04:01 PM
We got a crapload more of snow this morning. Bus ride took 2 hours to the lab instead of the usual 40 minutes. Yay.