PDA

View Full Version : Gothic (the PC game) themed adventure

powerdemon
2008-12-09, 11:34 AM
If anyone has played the PC game Gothic by Pirahna bytes, I need your help. I am running an adventure based on the game and need to make up some monster stats.

I need:

Scavangers
Molerats
Bloodflies

And I also need help finding the CR of some of the NPCs I've made.

I need CRs for:

A lvl 1 commoner

a lvl 2 warrior

a lvl 3 warrior

and a CR for any NPC with Class levels, IE a lvl 2 fighter, lvl 3 fighter, etc, etc.

I'm not sure how to calculate CR so any help would be appreciated. As always, if there are any questions, post them here, and I will get back to you ASAP.

Thanks again all :smallbiggrin:

DracoDei
2008-12-09, 12:07 PM
The CR thing is covered in detail in the MM and DMG, but off the top of my head I think it is:
CR should be equal to CR without class levels + class levels assuming you give it purchased, rather than randomly rolled, equipment, with value off of the NPC equipment table, and an elite ability score distribution.

Baron Corm
2008-12-09, 12:10 PM
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/improvingMonsters.htm#advancedMonsterChallengeRati ng

Never played Gothic.

powerdemon
2008-12-09, 12:11 PM
My problem is they are humans, so I don't know the base CR. I will look into it more. Thanks for the suggestion. CR has always been my weekest point in DMing.

I used point buy, 22 points for NPC classes, and 25 points for PHB classes.

Baron Corm
2008-12-09, 12:23 PM
For that you would just have to look at the Monster Manual entry for humans.

...there isn't one, but every other starting race is in there, at 1/2 CR. I think it's safe to assume the same for humans.

22 and 25 point buy would require the +1 CR for elite array, because standard array is basically 12 point buy.

DracoDei
2008-12-09, 12:27 PM
I beleive that Elite Array gets subsumed in the class levels.. not 100% sure, and it the info may be scattered around, so just because you didn't see it at first doesn't mean I am calling you blind or whatever... and I could be completely mis-remembering... anyway, yeah, human's race doesn't count toward their CR... basically 1/2 NPC class levels + Full for PC levels.

powerdemon
2008-12-09, 12:28 PM
So start with 1/2 CR for the base, +1 for the point buy abilities, then +1 per PC level and +1/2 per NPC level?

So lvl 3 Human Warrior is CR 2? and a lvl 3 Human Fighter is CR 3 1/2?

Baron Corm
2008-12-09, 01:02 PM
Ah yeah... "Do not apply this increase if you advance a monster by class levels. (Monsters advanced by class levels are assumed to use the elite array.)"

So Human Warrior 3 is 1/2 x 3 = 1.5

Human Fighter 3 = 1 x 3 = 3

The reason you don't add 1/2 to the base is because there's no such thing as a creature without HD or class levels... the base races listed in the Monster Manual are level 1 Warriors.

powerdemon
2008-12-09, 03:09 PM
So any NPC with PC levels has a CR = to their level, and NPC classes = 1/2 level?

DracoDei
2008-12-09, 03:32 PM
Well, assuming they are of a race that is weak enough, yes...
In other words, for humans, elves (not drow), standard dwarves, standard halflings, standard gnomes, orcs, half-orcs, kobolds, goblins, etc, etc that formula applies... Pit Fiends and Great Wyrm Dragons? Not so much...

powerdemon
2008-12-12, 04:25 PM
Any takers on the creatures? I was hoping that more people had played this game.

The scavengers (http://www.mondgesaenge.de/G2DB/screens/monster/Scavenger.jpg) are medium sized flightless birds. They have no arms and attack with their beaks. In the game, they charge and hit you very quickly trying to knock you off balance. I was planning on giving them a charge attack with multiple attacks.

The molerats (http://www.worldofgothic.com/images/g1monster/molerat.jpg) are basically mediums sized, overweight hairless rats. Ugly things with almost no combat ability. They fight in groups as that is the only way they can kill anything.

Bloodflies (http://www.worldofgothic.com/images/g1monster/blutfliege.jpg)are nasty flying insects that are about the size of a halfling or gnome (so "small"). They have very sharp stingers that pack a punch. They don't have any poison in the game, but I'm not against adding it here.

powerdemon
2008-12-13, 01:58 PM
OK, I made up the Scavenger and the Bloodfly. Please let me know what you think and if the CRs seem right.

Bloodfly
Bloodfly
Small Vermin
Hit Dice: 5d8+5 (23)
Initiative: +4
Speed: Fly 30 ft. (6 Squares)
Armor Class: 20 (+1 size, +4 Dex, +5 natural), touch 15, flat-footed 16
Base Attack/Grapple: +3/+0
Attack: Sting +8 melee (1d6+1 plus wound)
Full Attack: Sting +7 melee (1d6+1 plus wound)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./ 5 ft.
Special Attacks: Bloody Sting
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft.
Saves: Fort +5, Ref +8, Will +2
Abilities: Str 13, Dex 19, Con 12, Int -, Wis 12, Cha 6
Skills: -
Feats: Weapon Focus (Sting), Weapon Finesse
Environment: Temperate hills and forests
Organization: Swarm (3-8)
Challenge Rating: 5
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always Neutral
Advancement: 6-10 HD (Small)
Level Adjustment: -

Bloodflies are vicious flying insects that have very dangerous stingers attached to their tails. About the size of a Halfling, these insects are very dangerous, especially in groups.

Combat
Bloodflies attack anything that gets too close and always attack in groups if possible.
Bloody Sting (Ex): In addition to regular damage, anyone hit by a bloodfly’s tail sting is wounded and takes 1 hp of damage per round until they benefit from a healing spell that heals at least 1 hp of damage, or receive a successful heal check DC 15. This ability stacks up to three times on each victim.

Scavenger
Scavenger
Medium Animal
Hit Dice: 3d8+6 (19)
Initiative: +2
Speed: 50 ft. (10 Squares)
Armor Class: 15 (+2 Dex, +3 natural), touch 12, flat-footed 13
Base Attack/Grapple: +2/+5
Attack: Bite +6 melee (1d8+4)
Full Attack: Bite +6 melee (1d8+4)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./ 5 ft.
Special Attacks: Frenzied Charge
Special Qualities: Low-light Vision, Scent
Saves: Fort +4, Ref +5, Will -1
Abilities: Str 16, Dex 15, Con 12, Int 1, Wis 7, Cha 4
Skills: Listen +0, Spot +0, Survival +6
Feats: Weapon Focus (bite), Improved Natural Attack (bite)
Environment: Temperate hills and forests
Organization: Flock (4-10)
Challenge Rating: 2
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always Neutral
Advancement: 4-6 HD (Medium); 5-9 HD (Large)
Level Adjustment: -

Scavengers are medium sized flightless birds. They have two clawed legs and no arms. Their beaks are sharp and good for ripping apart whatever meal they have found as well as their foe.

Combat
Scavengers travel in packs and will attack in packs unless they are separated from the flock. If a scavenger notices a threat, it will crow at it to try and warn them away, then it will use their Frenzied Charge ability to try and kill the foe as fast as possible. Scavengers will fight to the death.
Frenzied Charge (Ex): When a scavenger charges an opponent, it can make three melee attacks at the end of the charge.
Skills: Scavengers are very oblivious to their surroundings and have very poor listen and spot skills.

Bouregard
2008-12-13, 02:55 PM
I don't know about D&D (want to learn it) but know about Gothic.

Molerats, Scavengers, Wolves, Bloodflies are all in all the same CR I think. One of them is pretty much allways weak and isn't even a really serious treat to a pc. Even at the start. Those enemys gain strength throught numbers. 3-4 are serios. A pack of 6 is lethal for a single adventurer who not wears heavy armor or just firestorm them away at long range.
Those where you have to think about are the higher lvl enemys.
(I play the german version. So names may vary)

Swampshark: extremly slow movement, good health/armor and extremly hard bite.

Shadowwalkers(?Schattenläufer): fast, hithard, good health/armor They have one weakness: Day, cause they sleep at daytime and run around in the afternoon.

Skelletons: medium-high, very vulnerable to firedamage(remember g2, 2 fireballs= dead skellie, except shadowwarriors)

Trolls: turn extremly slow, hit hard and throw targets away, ton of HP. A meleeplayer could easily kill them if they just circlestrafe them. Sometimes too big to fit throught doors. immunity to arrows.

golems: Full immunity to arrows. Hard to hurt with bladed weapons, but easily die by bunt weapons.

I would recomend you look at the gothicinternal lvl of those creatures (b- marvin -target the creature and press "o", works only in g1/g2 to look if you got the challenge right) Alternativly you coud just divide their exp with 10. In G2 there are some "young" versions of scavengers/ molerats/ bloodflies. they make a good starting threat. Don't throw your party into loads of molerats in the beginning.

powerdemon
2008-12-13, 03:11 PM
Well skeletons are already in DnD so I'm not worried about that. The molerats are easy off the bat, but wolves, scavengers, and especially bloodflies are very hard early on.

The shadowbeast (Shadowwalker) is very similar to the Shadow Mastiff in the Monster Manual, so I plan to just use that instead. There are also golems in the MM so I don't need to worry about that.

Thanks for the input though, I appreciate it. (PS it's a sweet game isn't it!?)

I am satisfied with the scavenger and the bloodfly. I just wanted some input on the CR to make sure it looks accurate.

I originally had the scavenger at CR 3 but that was too high, they were not that strong.