PDA

View Full Version : Flyby Attack and Phase Cloak?

MenhirRocksolid
2008-12-09, 01:54 PM
Q: I have a question whether the feat flyby attack (or for that matter spring attack) and a shoulder Phase Cloak (magic of incarnum). The phase cloak states that one may become ethereal if one moves 5 ft, and material again after each movement. Will you become material again duing a flyby attack, or will one remain ethereal?

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Tacoma
2008-12-09, 01:59 PM
You'd really need to give the word for word description unless someone out there has this "book" you're talking about.

(:smallwink: btw)

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-12-09, 02:05 PM
The Q&A by RAW (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98883) thread is good for these questions, but...

Having read "Phase Cloak", it appears you become ethereal during each Move Action that involves at least 5' of travel, and return to material afterward. Meaning that you would remain ethereal for the entirety of both Fly-by Attack and Spring Attack. However, it is confusingly worded, so someone else should probably look at it again.

MenhirRocksolid
2008-12-09, 03:34 PM
The Q&A by RAW (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98883) thread is good for these questions, but...

Having read "Phase Cloak", it appears you become ethereal during each Move Action that involves at least 5' of travel, and return to material afterward. Meaning that you would remain ethereal for the entirety of both Fly-by Attack and Spring Attack. However, it is confusingly worded, so someone else should probably look at it again.

I'm also confused by it, thereby I was asking ;-), I suppose when it does not work one could also solve the problem by somehow giving your weapon the force descriptor (crystal helm). Concerning the exact relevant wording:

When you use a move action to move at least 5 feet, you can
become ethereal during the movement. Among other effects,
this means that you can cross difficult terrain without penalty
and even pass through walls. While moving, you are not
subject to attacks of opportunity except from creatures that
can see into the Ethereal Plane and affect ethereal creatures.
However, you become material after each move. Thus, if you
perform a double move, you must end your first move in a
space where you can return to the Material Plane before
becoming ethereal again for the second part of your move.
If you are within a solid object when your etherealness ends,
you are immediately shunted to the nearest open space, taking
1d6 points of damage per 5 feet that you so travel.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-12-09, 04:45 PM

I agree with your interpretation.