PDA

View Full Version : So, let's talk winter solstice

Haven
2008-12-09, 02:17 PM
Anyone celebrate it? Or know someone who does? Was looking into it and became curious about real-world practice.

wxdruid
2008-12-09, 06:18 PM
A druid moved in across the street from me, so I am assuming he will celebrate the Winter Solstice.

Tichrondrius
2008-12-10, 12:54 AM
Its my own special generic religion free word for the holidays in December.

Coidzor
2008-12-10, 01:12 AM
I revere it without any specific religious significance. Mostly because I like the word solstice. And because I have no idea what my ancestors actually believed in, so I honor them by telling them how much I hope they kicked ass whenever I think of 'em.

That, and the longest night of the year always makes me want to spend it with someone special, if you know what I mean.

@V: What're they cremating?

Agamid
2008-12-10, 01:23 AM
there are summer and winter solstice celebrations held at my local organic public-farm, i'll be on a bus down to my aunt's farm this Summer Solstice, so won't really be able to celebrate it, but i can't wait for our Winter Solstice - it's only the 10th day of summer and already i'm completely over it.

Some of my friends are going to be holding a traditional bonfire, feast and cremation on the night though.

Rettu Skcollob
2008-12-10, 01:28 AM
Eh, it's Summer down here right now, so we wouldn't practice it until around June? I think? It sounds fairly interesting, though I haven't really heard about it in depth before, I admit. You all have fun in your crazy backwards hemisphere up there, in any case. :smalltongue:

SweetLikeLemons
2008-12-10, 01:34 AM
I don't celebrate it in any religious sense, but it is certainly cause for joy. When the days are only about three hours long, it is nice to know that we will be gaining daylight instead of losing it.

Roland St. Jude
2008-12-10, 01:38 AM
Anyone celebrate it? Or know someone who does? Was looking into it and became curious about real-world practice.

Sheriff of Moddingham: Like all the other recent winter religious holiday threads, this is being locked. Real world religion, including celebration of religious holidays, is an Inappropriate Topic on this board. (That the OP is not discussing the scientific solstice is apparent by the use of the words "celebrate" and "practice".)