PDA

View Full Version : Europa Universalis III - Mod Ideas

SolkaTruesilver
2008-12-10, 06:25 AM
Hi there. Anybody here like EU3? It's one of my personnal favorite. It's so deep and intricated, one you get into it, you can do so much..

I have been thinking.. What nice total conversions would be great for that game? And I've had my idea: a Warhammer Total Conversion.

With mountains held by dwarves and greenskins, with a powerful naval powers named the Elves and Dark Elves. With the equivalent of a Holy Roman Empire (The Empire), with the Hordes of Chaos deferling at random everywhere..

Or how about going somewhere else? Play as Lustria, or Araby. Why not Cathay? or Ind?

It would be so great as a game. Most provinces of the Empire could represent 4-5 territories. With special elements representing heroes of the Empire..

Just a thought while passing. I wish I actually knew how to program and mod..

You have good ideas for mod? What I love about EU3 is the realism it approach army build-up and wars. You can spend 5 years preparing for a war, and it still will be over in a few months if you plan well. That is way more realist that having everybody start the war and build-up. If you can re-create your army in totality 5 times during your few years of war, there is something wrong in the mechanics, I'd say. People don't just pop into existence.

I also love the fact that the game is played day-by-day. Hehe.. It adds something.. like scalpel-like precision. It doesn't take a whole year to move across the Alps (like in Civilization 4).

Om
2008-12-12, 01:36 PM
Given that EUIII is extremely moddable (AFAIK everything save the base mechanics can be changed using Excel or notepad) it should be possible to do a Warhammer mod. You might have trouble adding in extra features (such as magic) but I'd imagine that the biggest stumbling block would be the map. You can make a new map but it looks like a very complex and time consuming task

LoopyZebra
2008-12-12, 05:40 PM
Creating new countries and events in EU3 is reasonably easy.... you simply write a couple lines in notepad and stick them in the right place. The eu3 websites have the specific lines. The map requires editing somewhere else, I'm not sure how to do it. It may be done from MS Paint.

So, assuming all you wanted was a new map, events, and countries, it wouldn't be that hard. Specific magic systems or heroes would be much harder to do, although you could simply make the General and Admiral names the names of Heroes.

Om
2008-12-13, 07:32 AM
Your best guide to altering the map is probably this thread (http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?t=283735). It is no easy matter