PDA

View Full Version : [Monster] Weizenfolk

foXXtail
2005-09-21, 03:42 PM
Weizenfolk

As I tried to leave the Drunken Rat, I felt a hand settle on my shoulder. The wall of muscle that was the bartender spun me around forcibly and spat in my face as he spoke. “Laddie, you said you’d buy the bar a round of drinks. I did my part of the bargain. Now it’s time to pay up… unless you’d like me to let you reason it out with that lot.” His thumb jerked back to indicate the crowd behind him, all glaring at me. I couldn’t for the life of me remember ordering the bar a round of drinks. I opened my mouth to protest, but it seemed it was too late. Strangely, the last thing I heard before his meaty fist crushed the teeth out of my head was a tiny voice laughing.

The Weizenfolk can be a rude bunch. They can often be found in bars or taverns… or crashing a large and posh party. Many relish nothing more than embarrassing people and use the inebriated state of humanoids and other creatures to play pranks – or worse. Weizenfolk have been known to cause divorce, ruin bars, or even start a war – sometimes by accident, and sometimes on purpose in the case of a Dunkel Weizen . Many other Weizenfolk use their special powers to become respected entertainers, and the Gueuze are known to run a fine drinking establishment.

It is sometimes thought that the Wyeast are a form of Brownie or Sprite, unrelated to their larger brethren. However, all Weizenfolk share a common bloodline (though only the Wyeast retained the small stature of their Sprite ancestors) . Unlike other fey, they hate the open wilds and instead prefer to stick to urban areas, preferably populated by a species with a penchant for drink.

Gueuze
Medium Fey
Hit Dice: 1d6-1 (2hp)
Initiative: +3
Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares)
Armor Class: 16 (+3 dex,+3 studded leather), touch 13, flat footed 13
Base Attack/Grapple: +0
Attack: Rapier +3 melee (1d6/18-20) or Longbow +3 ranged (1d8/x3)
Full Attack: Rapier +3 melee (1d6/18-20) or Longbow +3 ranged (1d8/x3)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft
Special Attacks: none
Special Qualities: Create drink, High Tolerance, Low-light vision, Throw Voice
Saves: Fort –1, Ref +5, Will +3
Abilities: Str 10, Con 8, Dex 17, Int 13, Wis 12, Cha 16
Skills: Bluff +6, Diplomacy +9, Disguise +3, Escape Artist: +5, Gather Information +5, Jump +2, Hide +4, Knowledge (local) +5, Move Silently +4, Perform (oratory) +9, Sense Motive +5,
Tumble +4
Feats: Weapon Finesse
Environment: Temperate cities
Organization: Solitary, pair, or team (3–4)
Challenge Rating: 1/2
Treasure: Standard
Alignment: Usually chaotic good
Advancement: By character class
Level Adjustment: 1

A Gueuze is about the size of an elf, and is often mistaken for one. They are often strikingly good looking. All Gueuze naturally smell faintly of Ale. Most Gueuze speak Sylvan, and all speak the predominant language of the city they reside in.

COMBAT

Throw Voice (Ex): As a free action, a Gueuze can throw his voice. He can make the sound seem to originate from anywhere within 30 feet. A creature who wishes to discover the ploy must make a sense motive check opposed by the Gueuze perform (oratory) check. The voice made sounds just like the Gueuze’s voice. If he wishes it to sound differently, he must make disguise check to alter the sound.

Create Drink (Su): 3x/day, a Gueuze may turn up to 5.875 cubic feet of water into beer or wine. The type of drink is chosen by the Gueuze, and she may alter the style to fit her liking.

High Tolerance (Ex): A Gueuze is immune to the negative effects of alcohol, no matter how much they drink.

Gueuze rarely pick fights. If attacked, they use their natural agility to dance around foes, preferring to do nonlethal damage to rather then kill.

Gueuze as characters
+2 Dex +2 Cha
Medium size
A Gueuze’s base land speed is 30 ft.
Low-Light Vision
Racial Skills: Gueuze have a +2 racial bonus to Perform and Diplomacy checks
Special Qualities (see above): Create drink, high tolerance, low-light vision, throw voice
Automatic Languages: Common, Sylvan. Bonus Languages: Celestial, Draconic, Dwarven, Elven, Gnome, Halfling
Favored Class: Bard
Level adjustment: +1

Gueuze with levels in NPC classes have a CR equal to their character level. Gueuze with levels in PC classes have a CR equal to their character level +1.

Wyeast
Tiny fey
Hit Dice: 1d6 (3hp)
Initiative: +5
Speed: 20 ft. (4 squares), fly 40 ft. (fair)
Armor Class: 16 (+2 size, +4 Dex), touch 16, flat-footed 14
Base Attack/Grapple: +0/-11
Attack: Short Sword +7 melee (1d3-3/19-20) or Shortbow +7 ranged (1d3-3/x3)
Full Attack: Short Sword +7 melee (1d3-3/19-20) or Shortbow +7 ranged (1d3-3/x3)
Space/Reach: 2-1/2 ft./0 ft.
Special Attacks: Inebriate, Words in the Mouth
Special Qualities: Low-light vision, Damage Reduction 5/cold iron, spell resistance 15, invisibility (at will)
Saves: Fort +0, Ref +7, Will +3
Abilities: Str 5, Dex 20, Con 10, Int 11, Wis 13, Cha 14
Skills: Bluff +5, Diplomacy +4, Gather Information +3, Hide +9, Knowledge (local) +4, Listen +2, Move Silently +9, Perform (oratory) +6, Sense Motive +2
Feats: Weapon Finesse
Environment: Temperate cities
Organization: Solitary, Team (2–4) or band (6–11)
Challenge Rating: 3
Treasure: no coins
Alignment: Usually chaotic neutral
Advancement: 1-3 HP (tiny)
Level Adjustment: -

Wyeast are miniscule creatures that look like very small elves. Wyeast have iridescent wings. They stand 1 foot tall and weigh about 1 pound. Wyeast speak Sylvan. Most speak the predominant language of the city they reside in.

COMBAT

Wyeast prefer to cause others to fight than to do the fighting themselves. They are great pranksters and all-too familiar with the nature of humanoids. They take full advantage of their invisibility to avoid direct combat.

Invisibility (Su): A Wyeast remains invisible until it attacks. It may suppress or resume as a free action.

Inebriate (Sp): Three times per day. a Wyeast can cause a creature to become intoxicated. This effect does not work on creatures without a constitution score. Target must make a fort save (DC 15, Cha based) or become intoxicated. Target receives a –4 to Wis, -2 to Dex, +2 to Cha and a –10 to sense motive checks.

Words in the Mouth (Su): Three times per day, a Wyeast can cause a creature to speak and not remember what she said. The target must succeed at a Will save (DC 15, Cha based). If the target fails, the Wyeast chooses something for them to say, 20 words or less. Upon completing the phrase, the target has no memory of having spoken.

Dunkel Weizen
Medium fey
Hit Dice: 2d6+6 (9)
Initiative: +0
Speed: 30ft (6 squares)
Armor Class: 16 (+4 chain shirt +2 natural), touch 10, flat footed 16
Base Attack/Grapple: +1/+4
Attack: Longsword +4 melee (1d8+3/19-20) or Heavy Crossbow +1 melee (1d10/19-20)
Full Attack: Longsword +4 melee (1d8+3/19-20) or Heavy Crossbow +1 melee (1d10/19-20)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft
Special Attacks: Inebriate, Poison, Words in the mouth
Special Qualities: Create Drink, High Tolerance, Low-light vision, Damage Reduction 10/cold iron, spell resistance 17
Saves: Fort +3, Ref +3, Will + 4
Abilities: Str 17, Con 16, Dex 10, Int 15, Wis 13, Cha 8
Skills: Bluff +10, Disguise +4, Jump +5, Hide +5, Intimidate +10, Knowledge (local) +7, Listen +2, Move Silently +4, Sense Motive +6, Spot +2
Feats: Persuasive
Environment: Temperate Cities
Organization: Solitary, pair, or team (3–4)
Challenge Rating: 4
Treasure: Standard
Alignment: Always Chaotic Evil
Advancement: As character class
Level Adjustment: +3

Unlike their beautiful Gueuze cousins, Dunkel Weizen are not pleasant to look at. They appear as a human, with yellowed eyes. Often they have bulbous red noses and splotches across their cheeks. They smell of deeply roasted malt. Also unlike the kindly Gueuze and the playful Wyeast, Dunkel Weizen are wholly evil.

COMBAT

Dunkel Weizen love nothing more than to make others miserable. They use their powers to cause emotional pain and suffering. If that doesn’t work, they resort to physical pain.

Create Drink (Su): 3x/day, a Dunkel Weizen may turn up to 5.875 cubic feet of water into beer or wine. The type of drink is chosen by the Dunkel Weizen, and she may alter the style to fit her liking.

High Tolerance (Ex): A Dunkel Weizen is immune to the negative effects of alcohol, no matter how much they drink.

Inebriate (Sp): Three times per day. a Dunkel Weizen can cause a creature to become intoxicated. This effect does not work on creatures without a constitution score. Target must make a fort save (DC 17, Int based) or become intoxicated. Target receives a –4 to Wis, -2 to Dex, +2 to Cha and a –10 to sense motive checks.

Poison (Ex): Once per day, a Dunkel Weizen may poison any liquid. He must touch the container, and the resulting liquid must be drunk. The poison produced by the Dunkel Weizen has no taste. If ingested, the target must succeed at a Fort save (DC 17, Int based) or take 1d6 con damage.

Words in the Mouth (Su): Three times per day, a Dunkel Weizen can cause a creature to speak and not remember what she said. The target must succeed at a Will save (DC 17, Int based). If the target fails, the Dunkel Weizen chooses something for them to say, 20 words or less. Upon completing the phrase, the target has no memory of having spoken.

Dunkel Weizen as characters
+2 Wis +2 Int
+2 natural armor bonus
Medium size
A Dunkel Weizen’s base land speed is 30 ft.
Low-Light Vision
Racial Skills: Dunkel Weizen have a +4 racial bonus to Bluff and Intimidate checks
Special Attacks (see above): Inebriate, Poison, Words in the mouth
Special Qualities (see above): Create Drink, High Tolerance, Low-light vision, Damage Reduction 10/cold iron, spell resistance 17
Automatic Languages: Common, Sylvan. Bonus Languages: Infernal, Draconic, Dwarven, Elven, Gnome, Halfling
Favored Class: Rogue
Level adjustment: +3
Racial Hit Dice: A dunkel weizen begins with two levels of fey, which provide
2d6 Hit Dice, a base attack bonus of +1, and base saving throw bonuses of
Fort +0, Ref +3, and Will +3.
—Racial Skills: A Dunkel weizen's fey levels give it skill points equal to 5
x (6 + Int modifier, minimum 1). Its class skills are Bluff, Disguise,
Jump, Hide, Intimidate, Knowledge (local), Listen, Move Silently, Sense
Motive, Spot.
—Racial Feats: A dunkel weizen’s fey levels give it one feat.

Dunkel Weizen with levels in NPC classes have a CR equal to their character level. Dunkel Weizen with levels in PC classes have a CR equal to their character level +1.

foXXtail
2005-09-21, 03:45 PM
As is standard, I'm interested in some feedback!

Cantankerous
2005-09-21, 07:03 PM
Actually looks pretty interesting. A nice spin on the idea of fey as woodsy and inclined to nature.

The Vorpal Tribble
2005-09-22, 12:46 PM
*gapes*

Ok, this is just too wierd. I was just on the Wizard's monster board and was thinking of working on a fey of drink... I come over here and guess what the first thing I click on is? I think I've been playing psions too long...

Anyways, very cool little creatures. The CR of the Dunkel seems jusssst a tad too high, more on par with the Wyeast, but not overly so. Depends on your methods of determining.

I think the Gueuze though gets a bit of shaft. Only 2 HP? Thats like a sick child there, and the Tiny Wyeast is even tougher but much smaller.

And being creatures of drink, without any ill affects from drinking, I'd think they'd have some pretty impressive con scores ;)

But this all is just my opinion. Overall they look well done and balanced.

foXXtail
2005-09-22, 01:04 PM
Yeah, the Gueuze came out rathar emphezemic. That /2 for the first monster level is HARSH. PCs have it sweet! Combine that with fey having d6 HP and a desire to have the high stats in other areas, poor thing got the short end of the HP stick.

Mock26
2005-09-22, 10:58 PM
It seems to me that someone has a wee bit of the Weisse beer on her mind. ;D Granted, that isn't a bad thing! I know an inebriated dwarf who would fit in so well with these guys. Great job!

Take care and have a great day....

ciao,
john.