PDA

View Full Version : Horizon Walker.

Evil DM Mark3
2008-12-10, 04:36 PM
Has anyone ever used this PrC? I don't find much about it that appeals.

arguskos
2008-12-10, 04:38 PM
Horizon Walker is flavorful, and at level 6, you can take the Shifting Planar Trait, giving you Dimension Door 1/1d4 rounds, which is VERY nice.

I like it, even if it has some less than optimal choices. I'd probably rework the choices you can take, just to even it up somewhat.

Occasional Sage
2008-12-10, 04:39 PM
I haven't, but Saph posted rather extensively about it. One moment....

Telonius
2008-12-10, 04:40 PM
Saph made a great build out of it awhile ago, here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80415&highlight=Horizon+Tripper).

Deepblue706
2008-12-10, 04:41 PM
Yeah.

The problem I'm thinking you're having is related to the fact this was one of the earlier PrCs. They weren't based on having powerful abilities - just neat flavor with a few mechanical representations to fit the niche.

You're a Horizon Walker. A wanderer. You can adapt to any environment.

But personally, even if it's considered "dated", I actually like the abilities you can get. Darkvision, Immunity to Fatigue and Dimension Door are all pretty neat. You still get full BAB and decent HP, so it's a way to make your warrior PC a little more of an adventurer, and not just some soldier/pit-fighter/mercenary/whatever.

Eldariel
2008-12-10, 04:42 PM
It's the only strong non-caster PrC in DMG. Getting Dimension Door at will every 1d4 rounds is very helpful. The other bonuses are small, but handy. Yea, Saph's Horizon Tripper is just about the best non-mounted non-caster you can build in Core.

Occasional Sage
2008-12-10, 04:44 PM
Here we are! Saph's Horizon Tripper (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80415).

BRC
2008-12-10, 04:47 PM
It's one of the many PRC's that you wish did cooler things so you could use them.
My favorite example is the Geomater from CompArc, The picture looks really cool, and come on, who DOSN'T love magical runes. However, if I remember correctly, their class features boil down to
1) Adding two cleric spells to their spell lists
2) Being able to spend Gold and Xp in order to cast spells silently
3) Having a spellbook system that makes sense (With one spell per page). My group dosn't even bother with keeping track of pages in spell books, besides, that's less of a "Awsome, I get to do somthing nifty" than it is a "I don't need to pay as much attention to an annoying system anymore"

arguskos
2008-12-10, 04:49 PM
It's one of the many PRC's that you wish did cooler things so you could use them.
My favorite example is the Geomater from CompArc, The picture looks really cool, and come on, who DOSN'T love magical runes. However, if I remember correctly, their class features boil down to
1) Adding two cleric spells to their spell lists
2) Being able to spend Gold and Xp in order to cast spells silently
3) Having a spellbook system that makes sense (With one spell per page). My group dosn't even bother with keeping track of pages in spell books, besides, that's less of a "Awsome, I get to do somthing nifty" than it is a "I don't need to pay as much attention to an annoying system anymore"
Hey, you be nice to the Geometer! I love that PrC (it's better than just taking more Wizard levels)!

Though, I do agree, many of the earlier PrC's are rather... bland. They all need some rewrites and loving so they can be happy and productive PrC's again.

BRC
2008-12-10, 04:52 PM
Hey, you be nice to the Geometer! I love that PrC (it's better than just taking more Wizard levels)!

Though, I do agree, many of the earlier PrC's are rather... bland. They all need some rewrites and loving so they can be happy and productive PrC's again.
Oh, It's a decent PRC, I just felt a letdown. Here was my thoughts
*turn page*
"OOOH, SHINY, Rune-based caster
*Sit there imagining situations where runes are inscribed and used in awsome ways*
*Turns page*
Oh... it gets glyphs...and can spend XP to cast silently...

MeklorIlavator
2008-12-10, 04:52 PM
The spells also cost much less than normal to copy, but yeah, not the most impressive of classes. Of course, it's also one of the more balanced full caster progression PrC's.

Eldariel
2008-12-10, 04:53 PM

For which our Homebrew-forum is an excellent source. There's at least...Arcane Archer (x1000), Assassin, Dwarven Defender and mayhap even Shadowdancer (I can't recall).

Person_Man
2008-12-10, 04:56 PM
Tremorsense, Dimension Door, and the immunity to alignment spells are all quite good abilities. But as a core PrC, they don't really measure up to the later supplements, which have a huge amount of power creep issues.

arguskos
2008-12-10, 04:59 PM
Oh, It's a decent PRC, I just felt a letdown. Here was my thoughts
*turn page*
"OOOH, SHINY, Rune-based caster
*Sit there imagining situations where runes are inscribed and used in awsome ways*
*Turns page*
Oh... it gets glyphs...and can spend XP to cast silently...
Same here, though I DO like Spellglyphs. They're pretty nice, since my group doesn't use XP, we just spend some gold, and it all works out nicely. :smallwink:

I like to blend the Geometer with the Runecaster (shuffling it to be arcane, not divine) for a flavorful character combination. :smallbiggrin:

Eldariel
2008-12-10, 05:02 PM
Tremorsense, Dimension Door, and the immunity to alignment spells are all quite good abilities. But as a core PrC, they don't really measure up to the later supplements, which have a huge amount of power creep issues.

I also wouldn't discount the standard abilities - Darkvision, +2 Spot/Listen (or Hide/Move Silently) and so on are all handy. And really, meleers are generally better off going core classes rather than PrCs with splatbooks anyways, thanks to the feats and ACFs actually worth taking from the other books. PrCs are mostly dips with very few exceptions (and ToB, which actually has PrCs about on par with the core classes).

mabriss lethe
2008-12-10, 05:31 PM
HW is a solid core Prc. I have a few issues concerning it. Mostly the fact that the insight bonuses to attack and damage rolls are hardly worth factoring into the scheme of things for either the DM or the player. Just keeping track of which creatures count for which terrain can be a major hassle.

If there was a way to streamline it in some fashion I'd like it a lot more. maybe exchanging it for some sort of "favored enemy" variant mechanic. Say that each terrain gives you a choice of two or three "favored enemies". You get to select one. each of these grants a +1/+1 bonus that would stack with itself if you take another terrain that had access to that type of enemy. it's much easier to keep track of "goblinoids" that "critters I might run into while in a swamp."

Starbuck_II
2008-12-10, 07:53 PM
HW is a solid core Prc. I have a few issues concerning it. Mostly the fact that the insight bonuses to attack and damage rolls are hardly worth factoring into the scheme of things for either the DM or the player. Just keeping track of which creatures count for which terrain can be a major hassle.

If there was a way to streamline it in some fashion I'd like it a lot more. maybe exchanging it for some sort of "favored enemy" variant mechanic. Say that each terrain gives you a choice of two or three "favored enemies". You get to select one. each of these grants a +1/+1 bonus that would stack with itself if you take another terrain that had access to that type of enemy. it's much easier to keep track of "goblinoids" that "critters I might run into while in a swamp."

Wouldn't it be simpler if Each "terrain" gave global abilities (one terrain gave +1 insight vs all creatutres, +1 hit another, etc)?

Example method give good flavor abilities like the DMG + bonuses (instead of +1 insight etc. to a specfic land type creature):
1) Aquatic: +4 competence swim/+10 swim speed. +1 insight to damage versus all creatures (stacks with Planar bonuses).
2) Desert: Immune fatigue (things that exhuast you instead fatigue you). +1 competence Fort Save.
3) Forest: +4 Hide. +1 Competence Reflex save.
4) Hills: +4 Listen. Higher Ground gives +3 bonus to hit instead of +1.
5) Marsh: +4 move silent. +1 insight to AC.
6) Mountain: +4 competence Climb/+10 Climb speed. +1 insight to hit versus creatures (stacks with Planar bonuses).
7) Plain: +4 Spot. +1 competence Will save.
8) Underground: 60 ft darkvision. 1/encounter (free action), cause an attack to deal 1/2 the amount of damage dealt to you (must be declared before dice are totaled for damage but after attack roll)

The Planar ones are easier to figure out so no need to mess with them.

Yes, that means you want Aquatic and Mountain terrain to have previous bonuses versus all creatures. Possibly Marsh for the AC.

Orzel
2008-12-10, 08:47 PM
Orzel's favorite thing in 3.5 Core.
Hills creature! Teleport! Stab! Trip!

I've played 13+ HW (10 in a campaign setting that had no rez).

Heliomance
2008-12-10, 10:06 PM
I'm playing a Horizon Walker at the moment, mainly because the DD ability is a prereq for a rather shiny homebrew class. As for the terrain bonuses, we play it less as "critters I might run into in those terrains" and more "Am I in a terrain I've mastered at the moment?"

When I remember about them, that is.

Person_Man
2008-12-11, 10:27 AM
I also wouldn't discount the standard abilities - Darkvision, +2 Spot/Listen (or Hide/Move Silently) and so on are all handy. And really, meleers are generally better off going core classes rather than PrCs with splatbooks anyways, thanks to the feats and ACFs actually worth taking from the other books. PrCs are mostly dips with very few exceptions (and ToB, which actually has PrCs about on par with the core classes).

Those class abilities would be very helpful, at ECL 1-5. By ECL 6, you can Darkvision and a variety of Skill bonuses with cheap magic items.

Now that I think about it, the Horizon Walker would be a great base class.

Evil DM Mark3
2008-12-11, 10:49 AM
Those class abilities would be very helpful, at ECL 1-5. By ECL 6, you can Darkvision and a variety of Skill bonuses with cheap magic items.

Now that I think about it, the Horizon Walker would be a great base class.I see what you mean, pad it out with wayfairing abilites like track and easy food finding and give it some more awesome abilties near the upper level and it is a workable base class...

Psionic Dog
2008-12-11, 08:03 PM
I see what you mean, pad it out with wayfairing abilites like track and easy food finding and give it some more awesome abilties near the upper level and it is a workable base class...

Inspiration borrowed, processed, and packaged.
I think I'll call it the Strider (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5458565#post5458565) unless a better name appears.