PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Where's it from?

Jack_Simth
2008-12-10, 05:59 PM
On several occasions (most recently the "+1 Spell Storing Arrows" thread), I've seen posters who argue at least partially on the basis of what amounts to "most recently published book trumps prior books" - so that when, for instance, Spell Compendium reprints a spell that was originally published in the Player's Handbook, it's the Spell Compendium that has the correct version on any fine-print disputes.

Where does that come from? I'm referring to finding an official, WotC source (printed, if possible) that spells that out ... in the general case, not just the specific case of the Spell Compendium. Anyone know?

Mr.Bookworm
2008-12-10, 06:04 PM
I don't have a source, but it seems to me that it's just common sense.

If there's a later version of something, that isn't misprinted, it's the latest version and therefore has the latest errata applied to it.

Fax Celestis
2008-12-10, 06:10 PM
Spell Compendium's prologue states rather explicitly that certain spells have been updated and that the text therein should trump previous publications. I believe the 3.0->3.5 updated material books (like the Player's Guide to Faerún) also contained similar text.

Iku Rex
2008-12-10, 06:11 PM
Unless stated otherwise, any time that a rule appears in two different sourcebooks (other than the Player’s Handbook, Dungeon Master’s Guide, and Monster Manual), the most current sourcebook is considered correct and all previous sources are superseded.

-- From the official FAQ (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/er/20030221a) published by WotC.

Jack_Simth
2008-12-10, 06:16 PM
I don't have a source, but it seems to me that it's just common sense.

If there's a later version of something, that isn't misprinted, it's the latest version and therefore has the latest errata applied to it.

If no errata has been issued on either source (and theoretically WotC puts Errata on their website), and two sources disagree, how does one objectively (not common-sense, as people disagree on such things - need a printed, official ruling here) determine the difference between a misprint and an "official version" - likewise, the point of my question is "where is this stated?" While a "common sense" answer is okay, that's not what I'm looking for.

Am I making sense?

Spell Compendium's prologue states rather explicitly that certain spells have been updated and that the text therein should trump previous publications. I believe the 3.0->3.5 updated material books (like the Player's Guide to Faerún) also contained similar text.
In the specific case of the Spell Compendium? Sure (of course, the "Primary Source Rule" listed at the top of all official errata contradicts that, but that's neither here nor there....) - but that's not the question. Do you know of anything official that covers the general case?

Unless stated otherwise, any time that a rule appears in two different sourcebooks (other than the Player’s Handbook, Dungeon Master’s Guide, and Monster Manual), the most current sourcebook is considered correct and all previous sources are superseded.

-- From the official FAQ (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/er/20030221a) published by WotC.

Cool - so quite officially, anything that contradicts the DMG, PHB, and MM I, is wrong? Good to know.

Tacoma
2008-12-10, 07:13 PM
The answer is that a common-sense result is always okay. The rules are a set of guidelines on how things should be handled, not a straitjacket. If a rule looks funky and is unbalanced, change it. And if two spell descriptions disagree, figure out which one works better and use it. Generally it's worthwhile to choose one book and say that its version is the one you use.

We play 1E/2E so this comes up a lot. Our method is to say that your spellcaster either uses the 1E spells or uses the 2E spells. Which makes a difference in Sleep, Find Familiar, and various others. You could do the same.

But if the spell change was to fix an unbalancing vulnerability in PHB then just outlaw use of that vulnerability.

Sinfire Titan
2008-12-10, 10:16 PM

Also: Any rules reprinted in the Rules Compendium superceed the prior printings by default.

Thurbane
2008-12-11, 02:56 AM
The Rules Compendium--and Chris Sims--are both correct. The Rules Compendium trumps the PHB, DMG, and MM. (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/4ask/20071210a)

Fizban
2008-12-11, 06:01 AM
I believe the Magic Item Compendium has the same stipulation, changing wands to match their stored spell's casting time. Wands of Wraithstrike FTW!