PDA

View Full Version : Dragonball Movie Trailer?

Setra
2008-12-10, 08:22 PM
Dunno if there's been a thread on this yet but...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yo4t8PeqJ6E

I think it's supposed to be real but I dunno.

JadedDM
2008-12-10, 08:47 PM
Unfortunately, this is real. Evidently the people who made this movie were completely unaware Dragonball was a comedy. (Yes, it's based off of Dragonball, not Dragonball Z.) This looks like someone ripped off the Forbidden Kingdom.

Gavin Sage
2008-12-10, 08:54 PM
That thing being in existence at all burns my brain with intelligence numbing fire. No just no, doesn't even come halfway there. It is a crime against existence for that thing to exist.

(Oh and its not hard to rip off Forbidden Kingdom, what with that movie being a cliche storm and all. There needs to be a law against this sort of thing. )

Jayngfet
2008-12-10, 08:54 PM
I think I died a little inside.

Thiel
2008-12-10, 08:55 PM
Sorry 'bout the language, but AWW CRAP!
It was a passable manga, but seriously. A live action film? They've got to be kidding.

RTGoodman
2008-12-10, 09:04 PM
Jeez... I don't know anything about Dragonball, but the quality/tone of the trailer makes me think of this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHY8NKj3RKs&feature=related). :smallsigh: I'm not gonna take this seriously until I see a trailer somewhere besides on YouTube.

Verruckt
2008-12-10, 09:05 PM
If ever there was a need for the =][=nquisition to descend to earth and purge a film from existence, this is it.

well this and everything by Uwe Boll, Emperor damn his name.

Tichrondrius
2008-12-10, 09:31 PM
Dragonball Evolution? Whats it evolving from? Seriously, how is that title possibility revelent. This is going to be the comedy of next year. XD

Piedmon_Sama
2008-12-10, 09:35 PM
I feel like an ass for being so optimistic about the film until this point. T_T

Gavin Sage
2008-12-10, 09:44 PM
Jeez... I don't know anything about Dragonball, but the quality/tone of the trailer makes me think of this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHY8NKj3RKs&feature=related). :smallsigh: I'm not gonna take this seriously until I see a trailer somewhere besides on YouTube.

Me well I WISH that were the case. Truly I do....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragonball_(film)
http://movies.ign.com/objects/479/479331.html
http://dbthemovie.com/

.... despair at the unholy truth!

Innis Cabal
2008-12-10, 09:47 PM
Have to wonder how you guys will react to Eva the movie.

Piedmon_Sama
2008-12-10, 09:49 PM
Since Weta (and possibly Peter Jackson?) is doing it, probably by changing my pants.

RTGoodman
2008-12-10, 09:53 PM
Me well I WISH that were the case. Truly I do....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragonball_(film)
http://movies.ign.com/objects/479/479331.html
http://dbthemovie.com/

.... despair at the unholy truth!

Well, despite the evidence that's in fact real, I still don't think I can take it seriously. :smalltongue: I mean, THIS (http://www.brigidsflame.com/feymorgaina/james_marsters_spike1.jpg) guy playing THIS (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Piccolo_(Dragon_Ball)_photo.jpg) guy just seems weird to me.

SurlySeraph
2008-12-10, 09:54 PM
Needs moar Kamehameha. Needs less being a ridiculously misconceived idea from the very start.

Also: Bulma with GUNS?! Guns are going to be useful in this? Hell, Bulma is going to be useful in this? That completely goes against everything about the show!

By hoping that they take out everything that makes it Evangelion, especially Shinji's personality. Specifically, less "I mustn't run away" and more "RIP AND TEAR."

Piedmon_Sama
2008-12-10, 09:55 PM
[quote=rtg0922]Well, despite the evidence that's in fact real, I still don't think I can take it seriously. I mean, THIS guy playing THIS guy just seems weird to me.[/url]

Actually, it's this (http://www.dragonball-paradijs.com/dragonball-benelux/Characters/piccolo-youth.jpg) guy. And I thought it was, aside from Chao-Yun-Fat, the best casting decision they made. I mean, it doesn't matter how closely an actor resembles the source character (especially with modern special effects), just how good they can play it. And I think James Marsters is pretty good.

Also, Bulma with guns isn't the problem. Bulma turned into a badass action-girl would be, but just because the trailers have her in a badass pose doesn't mean she won't be the goofy character in the film that she was originally.

....Yes, I'm starting to talk myself back into optimism. I have to, really, I think I'm tragically emotionally dependent on believing in this film.

Setra
2008-12-10, 10:39 PM
If you pretend it's not dragonball it makes it look a lot better... Kinda like Resident Evil.

Haruki-kun
2008-12-10, 11:42 PM
If you pretend it's not dragonball it makes it look a lot better... Kinda like Resident Evil.

That's true, I suppose...

I'm mostly disappointed by their choice of cast... Goku did NOT look like that. He would have had to be either a kid or someone with 5 times as much muscle. Bulma wasn't supposed to be badass, and Roshi....... just no.

Innis Cabal
2008-12-10, 11:43 PM
By hoping that they take out everything that makes it Evangelion, especially Shinji's personality. Specifically, less "I mustn't run away" and more "RIP AND TEAR."

Ya...thats how I feel. I won't be seeing either.

Setra
2008-12-10, 11:48 PM
That's true, I suppose...

I'm mostly disappointed by their choice of cast... Goku did NOT look like that. He would have had to be either a kid or someone with 5 times as much muscle. Bulma wasn't supposed to be badass, and Roshi....... just no.
I honestly didn't mind what they did with Bulma, but that's just thinking with my other head.

I wanna see it anyways, just for the laughs... oddly enough the thing I disliked most is what they did to Roshi...

Edit:
I can say I would be honestly happy with this movie if I could see a shot of Fauxku doing an uber OMGWTFBBQPWNT Kamehameha wave.

Maybe my tastes are just too simple

K2
2008-12-11, 12:12 AM
I am going to go cry.....

Nerd-o-rama
2008-12-11, 12:42 AM
Have to wonder how you guys will react to Eva the movie.Will never happen. Development hell is inescapable. I'm saying this to be proven wrong.

Gavin Sage
2008-12-11, 01:38 AM

Probably like fans reacted to American Godzilla.... that said the dreadful topic of this thread is making American Godzilla look good.

(Also Eva is at once more adaptable visually, yet too trippy to be easy corporate vampire bait. So if someone does end up doing it theres a higher chance of doing it right/acceptably.)

Enlong
2008-12-11, 02:01 AM
"Seven Mystics created the Dragonballs"? What?

Aaaaand the rest of it only bears a passing resemblance to Dragonball. Like, the kind of glimpse you'd get if you looked at the original works through its reflection in the ocean during a typhoon at a 78 degree angle. During an eclipse, we'll say.

TSGames
2008-12-11, 02:09 AM
Same way:
I'm gonna go pay money to see it, watch the whole thing, walk out of the theater, never think about or mention it again, and when it comes up in conversation a single manly tear will role down my cheek for the part of youth that has been brutally raped.

*sigh* when I saw "20th Century Fox," I was realling hoping it was all just a lie.

Also, about an Eva movie:There is absolutely no chance it will be done right. Eva was a very existential anime with a substantial amount biblical imagery and references, all, or most, of which will be changed/mutilated/omitted in order to not-offend/draw-support-for the movie. Without the symbolism and references, it is impossible to produce anything that is even Eva-like, but right now, it is nigh impossible to produce anything with such symbolism, and I don't see that changing within the next generation. Eva is destined to be made, and doomed to absolute, black, abysmal failure.

Thiel
2008-12-11, 02:54 AM
Same way:
I'm gonna go pay money to see it, watch the whole thing, walk out of the theater, never think about or mention it again, and when it comes up in conversation a single manly tear will role down my cheek for the part of youth that has been brutally raped.

*sigh* when I saw "20th Century Fox," I was realling hoping it was all just a lie.

Also, about an Eva movie:There is absolutely no chance it will be done right. Eva was a very existential anime with a substantial amount biblical imagery and references, all, or most, of which will be changed/mutilated/omitted in order to not-offend/draw-support-for the movie. Without the symbolism and references, it is impossible to produce anything that is even Eva-like, but right now, it is nigh impossible to produce anything with such symbolism, and I don't see that changing within the next generation. Eva is destined to be made, and doomed to absolute, black, abysmal failure.

Or it could end up in the opposite ditch as a trippy film with giant robots. It would resemble the original EVA as much as a silver dollar does a manhole cover, but they'll be able to make a whole bunch of trailers and posters filled with said giant robots.

turkishproverb
2008-12-11, 02:56 AM
Same way:

I don't know, by the time it gets out of development heck, there's no tellign how much of it will be left/not left and what form it will take. Heck marketing interests might change enough by then to help it.

Raistlin1040
2008-12-11, 04:16 AM
I will be seeing this movie, entirely to mock it and for the lulz.

Inside however, I will be crying at the murder of my childhood.

RabbitHoleLost
2008-12-11, 04:18 AM
Is...is Goku...white?
ITS LIKE SPEED RACER ALL OVER AGAIN D=

Raistlin1040
2008-12-11, 04:32 AM
Is...is Goku...white?

I KNOW! And...and his hair's not spiky enough! And where's Krillin?

turkishproverb
2008-12-11, 04:33 AM
Eh, it evens out. Most characters that should be caucasian in Asian films are not, especially in anime adaptations. I dread the Harlock movie they're working on.

KnightDisciple
2008-12-11, 04:33 AM
Is...is Goku...white?

...:smallconfused:
Why does Goku have to be of Oriental ancestry?
Seriously, of all the things to complain about?

Tichrondrius
2008-12-11, 04:57 AM
I KNOW! And...and his hair's not spiky enough! And where's Krillin?

They said they cut Krillin from the movie and replaced him with their own unique character. Let that sink in... Krillin, one of the most important DB/DBZ characters, will never be in the movie.

Tengu_temp
2008-12-11, 05:33 AM
It's saying something when you feel bad for Dragonball being mangled so badly.

Seriously, they could as well make Excel Saga as a 100% serious action movie. With Excel as a "badass" Lara Croft ripoff.

Nerd-o-rama
2008-12-11, 05:36 AM
They said they cut Krillin from the movie and replaced him with their own unique character. Let that sink in... Krillin, one of the most important DB/DBZ characters, will never be in the movie.I never watched Dragonball, so that part might be right, but I really have to raise an eyebrow at the assertion that he was still one of the most important characters in DBZ.

Tichrondrius
2008-12-11, 05:38 AM
Well... he was still fairly important, but his role in DB was mostly filled by Vegeta in DBZ.

TSGames
2008-12-11, 06:00 AM
I never watched Dragonball, so that part might be right, but I really have to raise an eyebrow at the assertion that he was still one of the most important characters in DBZ.

He definitely was one of the most important for the first two arcs, that is the Vegeta and Freeza arcs, but he quickly became just another Kuwabara, just another mascot who was far surpassed by the power curve.

Lostintransit
2008-12-11, 06:31 AM
This movie will be bad........

Wait, that's an understatement...

If only they had stuck to the original material, would have been a lot better, The original series ( not DBZ) was very enjoyable as a manga, shame they had to ruin it!

Oh and yeah, what was up with Bulma? Guns?? Guns just bounce off them! Goku got shot in the head the first time he meets her!

just RAWR!!!

Ichneumon
2008-12-11, 07:03 AM
I think the fact that they just added a meaningless yet theoretically cool sounding sub-title as "Evolution" says everything about what we can expect from this movie.

KnightDisciple
2008-12-11, 07:08 AM
While not disagreeing with some of the issues raised, I have two questions.
First, what's so jarring about Bulma having guns? It fits. She's a tech-head. She'd probably try to keep upgrading them or something. Not like she's a martial artist who can blink and make mountains explode.
Second, on Krillin. Leaving out does suck. But I wonder, would you all have been moaning if he had been taller than the, whay, 2.5 feet he was in the manga/anime? What if he'd been played by a just kinda-short person? Like, I dunno, 5ft 2 or something?
Just curious. :smallwink:

TengYt
2008-12-11, 07:17 AM
This is gonna be awful. It's like they didn't even watch the source material. Firstly, what's with the DEAD SERIOUS tone of it? From episode 1, Dragonball was an action/comedy. Secondly, "Mystics created the Dragonballs". Err...yeah. :smallannoyed: Thirdly, Bulma being an action girl. I don't think much more needs to be said about that.

Ichneumon
2008-12-11, 08:11 AM
I just have to see the movie now to see if they could actually make it as awful as it seems.

Oslecamo
2008-12-11, 08:11 AM
I never watched Dragonball, so that part might be right, but I really have to raise an eyebrow at the assertion that he was still one of the most important characters in DBZ.

He was quite important in the begining, since he was Goku's direct rival, both trying to get the training of the old turtle master.

The last time he played an important role was in the Namek planet arc, since he had to baby sit Bulma and Gohan for several months, untill Goku arrived.

However as the series advanced he was relegated to a second plane, eventually marrying, setling down and having children, while everybody else kept busy training to be the ultimate warrior.

On the trailer:Well, they really butchered the series, but then, it was pratically impossible to ever make a loyal represantation of DBZ with real people, so I can't say I'm suprised. Not enough violence anyway. Goku was suposed to be bullet proof and able to throw boulders of his size by that time.

On Bulma being a weapong girl: It actually fits her character. In case you don't remember, dragonball starts with Bulma shooting Goku with a gun some minutes after the start. She was an action girl questing for the mythic balls all by herself with a plethoria of high tech equipment.

But as Krillin, she ended marrying, setling down and having children.

Tichrondrius
2008-12-11, 08:19 AM
Bullets which preceded to bounce off, what, five year old Goku at the very beginning of the series? I think he was taking tank rounds by the end of DB. The thing is, its not that Bulma having guns is weird, its that they'll probably make them effective.

Yeah, and not only Krillin. They replaced Goku's best friend with a wise taking joke machine named Weaver. The only characters from the show are Goku, Roshi, Grandpa Gohan, Bulma, and Piccolo Dami. Thats right, kids, no Yamcha, Chichi, Tien, Chatzou, Yajirobe, Korin, Kami, heck even Pilaf or the Red Ribbon Army....

factotum
2008-12-11, 08:27 AM
However as the series advanced he was relegated to a second plane, eventually marrying, setling down and having children, while everybody else kept busy training to be the ultimate warrior.

Well, that was mainly down to him being only human. Let's face it, no human character survived the Freeza arc's power curve in DBZ--after that point it was pretty much entirely Saiyans with a smattering of androids and Piccolo (although even he was totally outclassed by the time Cell showed up).

Smight
2008-12-11, 08:27 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5b7k0-Akug&feature=related

there is Chi Chi in the movie.

JabberwockySupafly
2008-12-11, 08:29 AM
The thing that shocks me most about all of this is that Stephen Chow was one of the producers. He must not been given ANY control over this movie, because he's normally completely about Martial Arts Comedy (Shaolin Soccer, Kung Fu Hustle...). Add the fact one of his biggest influences for making Martial Arts Comedies was, in fact, Dragonball, and you get a headscratching moment of pure "Whuzabuh?". Add in the fact that James Marsters is actually a very capable actor, and is especially good at playing great villains (Milton Fine/BRAINIAC & Spike), and you still feel so confused.

This movie should have been really, really good if Stephen Chow was involved, and I think that's why it hurts me even more. They've not only irrevocably scarred my childhood (okay, more like early adolescence but still...), they used not one, but TWO of my favourite cinema personalities to do it.

Definite sadface moment.

Tichrondrius
2008-12-11, 08:35 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5b7k0-Akug&feature=related

there is Chi Chi in the movie.

Huh, really? Well maybe i'm mistaken about all this and they aren't going to butcher a beloved series. :smallamused: Seriously, though, she wasn't on the list but I guess I was wrong.

TengYt
2008-12-11, 08:57 AM
The thing that shocks me most about all of this is that Stephen Chow was one of the producers. He must not been given ANY control over this movie, because he's normally completely about Martial Arts Comedy (Shaolin Soccer, Kung Fu Hustle...). Add the fact one of his biggest influences for making Martial Arts Comedies was, in fact, Dragonball, and you get a headscratching moment of pure "Whuzabuh?". Add in the fact that James Marsters is actually a very capable actor, and is especially good at playing great villains (Milton Fine/BRAINIAC & Spike), and you still feel so confused.

This movie should have been really, really good if Stephen Chow was involved, and I think that's why it hurts me even more. They've not only irrevocably scarred my childhood (okay, more like early adolescence but still...), they used not one, but TWO of my favourite cinema personalities to do it.

Definite sadface moment.

Agreed. Stephen Chow really knows how to make martial arts comedy movies. Which is what this SHOULD have been. I mean in the Dragonball world, the president of Earth is a talking dog, for crying out loud. Even in DBZ, any serious or dramatic moments were undercut by Rule of Cool, everything being over the top, and hammy yet hillarious dialogue.

Oregano
2008-12-11, 09:08 AM
...There's no Anthropomorphic Animals in the movie either.:smallfrown:

Enlong
2008-12-11, 12:44 PM
They said they cut Krillin from the movie and replaced him with their own unique character. Let that sink in... Krillin, one of the most important DB/DBZ characters, will never be in the movie.

Krillin owned count: 74563

KnightDisciple
2008-12-11, 12:55 PM
...There's no Anthropomorphic Animals in the movie either.:smallfrown:

That...would have been extremely difficult. At least, to pull it off very well. Piccolo can be done with makeup and minor prostethics.
A dog anthro, not as much.

Oregano
2008-12-11, 12:58 PM
That...would have been extremely difficult. At least, to pull it off very well. Piccolo can be done with makeup and minor prostethics.

I know but that means no Oolong.:smallfrown:

Setra
2008-12-11, 01:01 PM
A funny thought is.. if they did add in the Anthro's people would complain about them because a lot of fans forget they existed.

RabbitHoleLost
2008-12-11, 01:05 PM
A funny thought is.. if they did add in the Anthro's people would complain about them because a lot of fans forget they existed.

Puar was one of my favorite characters >>

KnightDisciple
2008-12-11, 01:13 PM
I know but that means no Oolong.:smallfrown:

Personally, I don't see this as a negative. :smallamused:

Setra
2008-12-11, 01:13 PM
Puar was one of my favorite characters >>
I meant aside from those two... like the President or just random anthro people.

Closet_Skeleton
2008-12-11, 02:13 PM
Also, Bulma with guns isn't the problem. Bulma turned into a badass action-girl would be, but just because the trailers have her in a badass pose doesn't mean she won't be the goofy character in the film that she was originally.

Didn't early dragonball already have a gun toting woman anyway?

RabbitHoleLost
2008-12-11, 02:14 PM
Didn't early dragonball already have a gun toting woman anyway?

Launch :smallcool:

bluewind95
2008-12-11, 03:10 PM
Is...is Goku...white?

But... but... I LIKED Speed Racer. One of the most enjoyable movies I have ever seen. :smallfrown:

About this, though... I never was a fan of Dragonball. So Now I just HAVE to watch this see what they did to the concept. Who knows, maybe because I'm not a fan of the original, I might even like this. :smalltongue:

Texas_Ben
2008-12-11, 07:05 PM
Agreed. Stephen Chow really knows how to make martial arts comedy movies. Which is what this SHOULD have been.

Well we can't say for certain that it won't be. You can make any movie look like pretty much anything... I'm sure you've all seen the mock mary poppins trailer cut to look like a horror film, or the shining mock trailer cut to look like an inspirational family movie.

And it's not completely without precedent... Speed racer was by all accounts a pretty fun movie, didn't take itself too terribly seriously. Yet the trailers tried to make it out to be ROXXOR HARDCORE RACZORS.

leafman
2008-12-11, 07:53 PM
It will be "interesting" to see. Ditching Krillin in favor of their own creation was a bad move I think. And I would like to see less people fighting with weapons (swords, shuriken) and more people getting their faces punched in by a small naive child with a TAIL. Seriously did they completely cut out the whole Goku transforming into a giant ape at full moon bit? It is not like we don't have the CGI tech to add in a tail and a giant rampaging ape.

Oslecamo
2008-12-11, 08:27 PM
It will be "interesting" to see. Ditching Krillin in favor of their own creation was a bad move I think. And I would like to see less people fighting with weapons (swords, shuriken) and more people getting their faces punched in by a small naive child with a TAIL. Seriously did they completely cut out the whole Goku transforming into a giant ape at full moon bit? It is not like we don't have the CGI tech to add in a tail and a giant rampaging ape.

Turning into a giant rampaging ape isn't american enough. They want the movie to be sellable in the USA.

Who bets they're gonna put a romance between Goku and Bulma?

Hint:Goku never seems to realize anything about sexuality in the whole series. It's still a wonder to me how he managed to got kids. Guess her wife simply drugged and raped him, and Goku still wonders what exactly hapened in those two nights.

SurlySeraph
2008-12-11, 09:27 PM
Who bets they're gonna put a romance between Goku and Bulma?

Given that there were vague hints of her possibly being interested in him occasionally in the series (well, before she married Vegeta), I'd say the odds are over 9,000%.

Hint:Goku never seems to realize anything about sexuality in the whole series. It's still a wonder to me how he managed to got kids. Guess her wife simply drugged and raped him, and Goku still wonders what exactly hapened in those two nights.

I have seen fanfiction with exactly this premise. It was disturbing.

JadedDM
2008-12-11, 09:54 PM
Given that there were vague hints of her possibly being interested in him occasionally in the series (well, before she married Vegeta), I'd say the odds are over 9,000%.

WHAT?! NINE THOUSAND?!

Gavin Sage
2008-12-11, 10:43 PM

Umm I will just say that you have been WARNED IN STRONGEST TERMS about viewing the following:

http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/kotaku/2008/11/goku_monster.jpg

This was apparently leaked from the set, with the modifier that it was some kinda test piece....

turkishproverb
2008-12-11, 10:46 PM
I have to go weep for humanity now.

Enlong
2008-12-11, 11:25 PM
Umm I will just say that you have been WARNED IN STRONGEST TERMS about viewing the following:

This was apparently leaked from the set, with the modifier that it was some kinda test piece....

Whad da hek iz dat?![/Dhaos]

KnightDisciple
2008-12-12, 01:23 AM

Edit: Yeah, the more I look at and think about that, it looks like some kind of Piccolo-Goku possession-fusion thing. Or maybe generic demon or something. It's green, the eyes are red, etc. I could be totally wrong, I admit.

On tail and monkey transformation: Ok, I'll be honest. No matter what, a tail would be jarring. Our animatronics and/or CGI still isn't quite good enough to pull it off live-action. And the monkey transformation...I bet you most people who weren't already fans would be like "WTF? When did we go from kung fu to King Kong?" Plus, think how a fight between a 50-ft tall monkey-man and a 6-ft tall demon dude would look. Why wouldn't the monkey auto win (and you know he wouldn't)? It's easier to accept in-universe conceits like "greater fighting power" if the combatants are of a similar size and fighting method. Frankly, it was ridiculous not being always an auto-win in the original, too, at least to me. Yes, I know, power levels and such. But it broke stride...anyways.
My point here is that they can't cater solely to fans.
A.) This is a movie, not a new series. You can't include everything. Maybe Krillin will/would be in the next movie?
B.)Some stuff...just doesn't work well in a live action medium. Dog-people are one.
Wall of text alert:
C.) This is an American movie, for an American audience. Now, since we're all honest, we can admit Dragonball isn't high art or anything. That said, some of the stuff from the series wouldn't fly over here. Roshi might be a pervert, but not to the same level. Creepy old man much? There's no way to make him look good/decent, and have the "1-inch around arms and legs old man" look from the cartoon.
Ultimately, this film faces the problem many American comic films face: should we focus more on pleasing fans, or on making this accessible to a wider audience. American comics have the advantage that they're more widely known here, been running longer, and have enough variety to have less focus on specific story elements, and more on general characters, themes, etc. (Like Batman; how many different writers has he had? You can't focus on one, you need to get the "essence" of the character.) Dragonball has a lot of material, but it's one continuous story by one author. You can't really distill it nearly as well.
So it looks like they decided to try appealing to people who had never heard of this before. They do look to be trying to be faithful, but it's a 2.5-ish hour movie. Not a hundreds-of-episodes cartoon series. They're going to miss stuff. Stuff will be different. Step back and realize that A.)they're going to try to make money. That's the industry. After all, they have to pay the bills. B.)They can't make everyone happy. C.)They won't force you to watch this. You can stick with the cartoon.
It's fine to theorize and criticize, but let's try to tone the drama down a tad, okay? :smallannoyed:

Tengu_temp
2008-12-12, 01:51 AM
Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings was how you adapt something into a 2.5-hour movie and show it to people who have never heard about it before. But this thing we have here looks less like Jackson and more like Bakshi.

KnightDisciple
2008-12-12, 03:13 AM
Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings was how you adapt something into a 2.5-hour movie and show it to people who have never heard about it before. But this thing we have here looks less like Jackson and more like Bakshi.

I certainly can't say you're wrong.
I'm just more of a "let's wait a bit and see".
I'll probably see it at some point. Of course, I've no great attachment to the original series or anything. *Shrugs*

Closet_Skeleton
2008-12-12, 06:51 AM
Turning into a giant rampaging ape isn't american enough. They want the movie to be sellable in the USA.

But King Kong is American!

Oslecamo
2008-12-12, 08:11 AM
But King Kong is American!

And he dies, humiliated, all his wishes unfulfilled,hated and hunted by almost everyone, while the normal humans get power, fame and money.

Since Goku has to kick ass during the movie and also be the main hero, he can't turn into a giant monster.

KnightDisciple
2008-12-12, 09:07 AM
And he dies, humiliated, all his wishes unfulfilled,hated and hunted by almost everyone, while the normal humans get power, fame and money.

Since Goku has to kick ass during the movie and also be the main hero, he can't turn into a giant monster.

This is pretty much what I was thinking, too.
King Kong isn't at all seen as a.) a serious character (Giant Monkey! Whee!), or b.) a hero. Which Goku decidedly is.

leafman
2008-12-12, 12:04 PM
But thats the thing though, Goku transforms and becomes a monster ultimatly killing grandpa Gohan. He is hated and feared when he transforms, but he has no control over himself as the ape and no one knows that Goku is the ape until Pilaf captures Goku, Bulma and Yamcha and uses the dragon balls only to be foiled by Oolong's wish for really comfortable underwear.

Just playing out that scenario in the movie would work, playing off a Hulk theme. I think they should stick to the source material for the main characters:

Goku - a child with a tail, capable of amazing feats of strength and speed, unaware that he is responsible for the death of his adoptive grandfather, and has an aversion to the full moon.
Bulma - a teenage-early 20's chick with a head for technology who is on a quest to gather the dragon balls.
Master Roshi - An old man famed for his mastery of the turtle fighting style, a bit perverted but capable of kicking some a's when he needs to.

KillianHawkeye
2008-12-12, 12:28 PM
I just hope they found a giant turtle shell for Chow Yun Fat to wear. :smallwink:

(But I doubt it. :smallsigh:)

Anyway, considering that they're cutting out at least three years of story and mix'n'matching the rest together, it kind of doesn't make sense for Grandpa Gohan's death to occur the same way it did in the manga. Or for Goku to transform into a Great Ape. A movie just isn't long enough to give all that the amount of background that it deserves.

Plus, attributing Grandpa Gohan's death to Piccolo's minions (that's what it seems like is happening, at least) is better for the story of the movie and a good set up for the evil villainy of Piccolo.

Maybe if they do Vegeta and Nappa in the sequel we'll get one or both of them to transform, but I doubt Goku ever will.

Demons_eye
2008-12-12, 06:38 PM
I feel... Violated? Its like my entire childhood is now made fun of for people to watch. Weird and I dont like this feeling.... *goes and crys*

Jack Squat
2008-12-12, 07:28 PM
I feel... Violated? Its like my entire childhood is now made fun of for people to watch. Weird and I dont like this feeling.... *goes and crys*

I'll be the one doing the laughing.

Once I heard the words "Dragonball and Live Action" I knew it'd completely butcher the cartoon. I also wasn't that big a fan of the cartoon.

I'm too lazy to read the whole thread on this, so did anyone already mention that this is supposed to be the first in a trilogy?

Jayngfet
2008-12-12, 07:39 PM
I'll be the one doing the laughing.

Once I heard the words "Dragonball and Live Action" I knew it'd completely butcher the cartoon. I also wasn't that big a fan of the cartoon.

I'm too lazy to read the whole thread on this, so did anyone already mention that this is supposed to be the first in a trilogy?

I'm hoping the next one does the OVER NINE THOUSAAAND bit, which will redeem the entire movie to me.

doliest
2008-12-12, 07:59 PM
This movie has taken my childhood and in the words of mike tyson f***ed them til they loved him, and that's not saying I like this movie. Honestly from what I've heard they are(and please tell me their not)
A.Making goku grow up in a city and is just a normal person with super powers.
B.Setting everything in a world not filled with super-powered martial artists that kill things with their hands.
C.Are making bulma a to quote yahtzee,'Overall now supersidious bad a** action girl'

Alas, dragonball, I knew ye well! You warmed my afternoons with entertainment that I enjoyed more than anything else, more that B:TAS, more than Tom and Jerry, you were my friend, but alas you were brutally murdered in the back of an alley for a cheap buck:smallfrown: You will be missed my dear friend.:smallfrown:

*Breaks down crying*

JadedDM
2008-12-12, 08:36 PM
...only to be foiled by Oolong's wish for a pair of women's panties.

I fixed that for you.

Mr. Scaly
2008-12-12, 09:11 PM
I don't think there's any reason to cry death, doom and destruction. I mean, no matter how hard they try and how faithful they make it, the LA movie is going to be silly.

First of all, it looks like they'll make it a kung fu movie. And as I enjoy them, kung fu movies have to work hard to keep from being silly or just plain bad. As far as I know Bruce Lee has had the best luck at it but he also mixed serious drama and interesting plots in with his movies. Dragonball doesn't really have either.

Second, let's be honest. Dragonball could be really silly at times when it wasn't about punching out demons and monsters. Heck, during the punchings it could get silly.

And third, this is an adaptation. No one is ever going to be satisfied with how an adaptation is done.

With all that in mind, I'm going to enjoy the movie without expecting too much from it. Needless to say, with low expectations it will be enjoyable. :smallwink:

doliest
2008-12-12, 09:15 PM
It should be noted that most people want it to be funny and silly, but they are going for OMG!SERIOUS.

KnightDisciple
2008-12-12, 10:08 PM
Ok. Seriously. The whole "it's violating my childhood!!!" drama? Yeah, not so much, people. It's a movie. Calm down. Breath. Don't go see it when it comes out.
Man. You'd think the people had said they were coming to your home with baseball bats to beat you half to death. Literally. :smallannoyed:

doliest
2008-12-12, 10:42 PM
Ok. Seriously. The whole "it's violating my childhood!!!" drama? Yeah, not so much, people. It's a movie. Calm down. Breath. Don't go see it when it comes out.
Man. You'd think the people had said they were coming to your home with baseball bats to beat you half to death. Literally. :smallannoyed:

I don't know about anyone else, but seriously this show was one of the three shows I actually kept up with and it's the equivilent of seeing my heroes put on screen and mocked. It's mike tysoning my childhood....in the butt.

SurlySeraph
2008-12-12, 11:31 PM

Don't you see that we have no choice but to react like this? Do you not understand that the Internet is Serious Business?! :smallyuk:

Jack Squat
2008-12-12, 11:33 PM
I don't know about anyone else, but seriously this show was one of the three shows I actually kept up with and it's the equivilent of seeing my heroes put on screen and mocked. It's mike tysoning my childhood....in the butt.

But you don't have to watch it. You can pretend it doesn't exist. It's just a movie. Alternatively, you can at least see more than the previews before criticizing it.

I mean, I knew it wasn't really going to be that faithful to the show, I knew that from the words "live action." There's just no way that show could be re-represented faithfully in Live Action. At best, it'll won't completely kill the spirit of the movie, at worst, it's just another bad adaptation. Anyone with higher expectations hasn't seen movies adapted from anything else in awhile (sans Frank Miller/Marvel movies).

KnightDisciple
2008-12-13, 01:05 AM
But you don't have to watch it. You can pretend it doesn't exist. It's just a movie. Alternatively, you can at least see more than the previews before criticizing it.

I mean, I knew it wasn't really going to be that faithful to the show, I knew that from the words "live action." There's just no way that show could be re-represented faithfully in Live Action. At best, it'll won't completely kill the spirit of the movie, at worst, it's just another bad adaptation. Anyone with higher expectations hasn't seen movies adapted from anything else in awhile (sans Frank Miller/Marvel movies).

This right here.

turkishproverb
2008-12-13, 01:25 AM
I don't know, if they did the whole thing as a comedy film it could've worked in LA to a much closer to the origional extent.

They needed Michael Bay on this and not Transformers.

Gavin Sage
2008-12-13, 01:35 AM

Personally this thing has had no effect on my childhood, because I simply cannot reconcile anything I've seen of this into actually relating to Dragonball. Its some kinda mental disconnect.

I don't like this movie because its going to be baaaaad and you can just tell.

turkishproverb
2008-12-13, 02:25 AM
I'll buy the deluxe dvd though.

Commentary:

"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry."

doliest
2008-12-13, 12:57 PM
I'll buy the deluxe dvd though.

Commentary:

"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry."

Schumacher is the only directer so far willing to apologize for his movies....maybe we can get this guy to be the second.

Hopeless
2008-12-14, 03:25 PM

Hey Bakshi tried which is more than whats been described here!

Didn't know they removed Krillin, the guy playing Roshi is probably yhe best choice but rewriting dragonball history given most people who watched the original and would be interested in watching this movie sounds more like they've shot themselves in the foot several times before committing seppuku.

Sorry I do hope they don't mess this up as badly as said especially as I can't see JM as Piccolo doing anything other than a brilliant job, have no problem with Bulma using guns I am surprised she doesn't make a point of packing something nastier than that given what she'll face!

Still no Krillin? Really?

They introduced a character of their own making into a series that spanned quite a lot of years? Seriously?!

turkishproverb
2008-12-14, 05:15 PM
The character of their own is the real issue, I mean even without Krillin they have characters to use.

For example, if keeping realism, how about Yamcha?

TSGames
2008-12-14, 05:22 PM
The character of their own is the real issue, I mean even without Krillin they have characters to use.

Or Tien!--never happen

KnightDisciple
2008-12-14, 10:20 PM

I thought I'd seen a cast/character list that said Yamcha was in there?

turkishproverb
2008-12-15, 01:16 AM
Not my point. THeres a host of DBZ characters. No need to replace an existing one with an original character when they're all going to get so little screen time anyway.

TSGames
2008-12-15, 01:41 AM
Not my point. THeres a host of DBZ characters. No need to replace an existing one with an original character when they're all going to get so little screen time anyway.

The Fungineers have spoken:the is to be no Krillin. Who are you to question them? Do you have a degree in fungineering?

;)

turkishproverb
2008-12-15, 05:19 AM
The Fungineers have spoken:the is to be no Krillin. Who are you to question them? Do you have a degree in fungineering?

;)

Not my point again. Deleting Krillin did not have to involve adding a new character. Give more screen time to an existing one.