PDA

View Full Version : The Mobile Fortress of Oppression

Stupendous_Man
2008-12-10, 10:54 PM
1. Cast Wall of Stone or Wall of Iron many times. (Use the profit generated from selling off one Wall of Iron to fuel the other Walls if necessary.)

2. Cast Fabricate to turn your Walls into a giant walking battle castle.

3. Jack up your caster level and cast Animate Object on it.

4. Christen your Mobile Fortress of Oppression Maurice and take it to town.

5. ???

6. Profit!

So, does this work the way I think it does? Because I kinda want one of these:

http://wildwildwest.warnerbros.com/img/thefilm/tarantbig.jpg

Or maybe one of these:

http://wh40k.lexicanum.de/mediawiki/images/e/e6/Imperator-Titan.jpg

Flickerdart
2008-12-10, 11:12 PM
By RAW, you can only use Animated Objects to attack. So, as long as it has a Commoner to chase after in order to move around, it'll work. But it would probably be cheaper and faster to size increase a Warforged or golem...

Stupendous_Man
2008-12-10, 11:13 PM
By RAW, you can only use Animated Objects to attack. So, as long as it has a Commoner to chase after in order to move around, it'll work.

So, we dangle a commoner on a stick in front of the Fortress of Oppression?

But it would probably be cheaper and faster to size increase a Warforged or golem...

The method I outlined costs no money or XP. In fact, if you abuse Wall of Iron, you gain money...

Not the quickest way of getting the desired affect, I admit...

SurlySeraph
2008-12-10, 11:15 PM
So, we dangle a commoner on a stick in front of the Fortress of Oppression?

Hey, it wouldn't be a Fortress of Oppression without commoners to oppress!

Stupendous_Man
2008-12-10, 11:16 PM
Now do we see the violence inherent in the system.

Speaking of which, what kinds of magical weaponry should this thing be equipped with? Books of Explosive Runes? Barrels of Delayed Blast Fireballs coated in Quintessence? Commoners with chickens?

SurlySeraph
2008-12-10, 11:36 PM
Speaking of which, what kinds of magical weaponry should this thing be equipped with? Books of Explosive Runes? Barrels of Delayed Blast Fireballs coated in Quintessence? Commoners with chickens?

Yes. As in "All of the above."

Stupendous_Man
2008-12-10, 11:39 PM
Can a Book of Explosive Runes also be trapped so as to cast Dispel Magic on itself when it hits the ground and opens? If so....

Fax Celestis
2008-12-10, 11:40 PM
Lightning Ballistae from Heroes of Battle.

arguskos
2008-12-10, 11:46 PM
Decapodians.

Deth Muncher
2008-12-11, 12:03 AM
Decapodians.

That only works if it's made of sand.

But really, do you want decapodians running around in your universe? It's only a matter of time before they start complaining of how much of a shlep it is to get from one place to another.
Yay Yiddish references! They're crustaceans! That's not kosher! Hilarity!

arguskos
2008-12-11, 12:09 AM
That only works if it's made of sand.

But really, do you want decapodians running around in your universe? It's only a matter of time before they start complaining of how much of a shlep it is to get from one place to another.
Yay Yiddish references! They're crustaceans! That's not kosher! Hilarity!
"Zoidberg picks up another piece, and the crowd goes wild! Hurray!"
-Dr. John Zoidberg

Also, Dungeons & Decopodians would be the best game ever.

Deth Muncher
2008-12-11, 12:45 AM

Sig'd.

Fo' sho.

mikeejimbo
2008-12-11, 01:00 AM
Catapults that launch housecats, assuming we want to attack commoners most of the time.

Stupendous_Man
2008-12-11, 01:05 AM
"Zoidberg picks up another piece, and the crowd goes wild! Hurray!"
-Dr. John Zoidberg

Aren't Crabfolk enough?

arguskos
2008-12-11, 01:09 AM
Aren't Crabfolk enough?
There can never be enough Decapodians!

FMArthur
2008-12-11, 01:09 AM
Tippy made a thread a month or so ago about making magical ICBMs, didn't he? With enough tweaking, you could make this into a giant-sized metal gear. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metal_Gear_(weapon))

Stupendous_Man
2008-12-11, 01:15 AM
... So who's up for a DnD campaign involving Crucians and their Mobile Fortress of Oppression?

Grey Watcher
2008-12-11, 01:17 AM
The method I outlined costs no money or XP. In fact, if you abuse Wall of Iron, you gain money...

Thanks to the Mobile Oppression Palace, a few dignitaries can oppress your entire planet for pennies a day!

I love a good Futurama reference.

Deth Muncher
2008-12-11, 01:19 AM
I love a good Futurama reference.

Yeah! Now all the MFoO needs is a hot cocoa maker.

Problem is, nobody knows how to make marshmallows...

Glyphic
2008-12-11, 01:29 AM
I like how the second picture has a HUGE banner declaring "Excelsior" hanging from it's crotch-area.

turkishproverb
2008-12-11, 02:17 AM
I like how the second picture has a HUGE banner declaring "Excelsior" hanging from it's crotch-area.

Stan lee lives in that one.

elliott20
2008-12-11, 02:40 AM
remember, whatever it is you do with it, keep the technology coldblooded!

Fizban
2008-12-11, 06:18 AM
The Stronghold Builder's Guidebook is the standard for this, but to be truly awesome it can only be a couple of rooms, since you have to build it like a magic item.

Since RAW the biggest size it colossal, you can animate any building with Animate Objects if you can jack your CL up to 32. Since you have to be a cleric to cast Animate Objects anyway (seriously wtf?), you have access to Greater Consumptive Field and Beads of Karma, so that won't be too hard.

However, you can only designate the target when you cast it (attacks targets you initially designate), so you'll have to keep the commoner on a stick alive or your fortress becomes permanently immobile. It also has to keep moving unless you hang the commoner above it, in which case the whole thing will keep jumping.

I seem to remember something about infusions that could give a construct living construct traits temporarily. If there are, you could cast one of those on it, then Dominate Monster it, and gain full control. Then you can give it wings of flying, or just cast fly on it while inside. Only problem is that the whole fortress is only one CR 10 creature, so it's pretty much screwed fighting anything.

I'd suggest the simpler, if less awesome and more overdone, flying ship. Not cheap, but much harder to destroy outright. The ship is easy enough to Fabricate, but Stormwrack seems to refuse giving full flight, so you'll have to take a ship from that book and combine it with an item from another book to get flight. And it will probably cost at leasdt 50k on top of the boat.

Seconding the Lightning Ballistae, though Scorching Ballistae are cheaper if you need more shots per minute. Or get an item of Couldburst at will, allowing you to create a stormy environment at will.

Voidhawk
2008-12-11, 09:03 AM
Simplest method to get a suit of power armour, or a mech:

Permanant Animate Object on a suit of Full Plate the required size.
Then Permanant Rary's Telepathic Bond it to the Pilot, making it follow the bond's instructions.

If you do this to Dwarven Mountain Plate, you now have a suit of Terminator Armour.

I've also heard of a spell from somewhere in splat (Spell Compendium I think), called Animate Siege Weapon. Does what is says on the tin.
Man, but the gnomes were on good form that day.

Fishy
2008-12-11, 10:22 AM
I'd suggest the simpler, if less awesome and more overdone, flying ship. Not cheap, but much harder to destroy outright. The ship is easy enough to Fabricate, but Stormwrack seems to refuse giving full flight, so you'll have to take a ship from that book and combine it with an item from another book to get flight. And it will probably cost at leasdt 50k on top of the boat.

Dude, Eberron is way ahead (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20050803a&page=2) of you (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20050803a&page=3).

Drascin
2008-12-11, 10:49 AM
remember, whatever it is you do with it, keep the technology coldblooded!

If you are talking giant mechanical weapons... in fact, I would recommend the opposite. For a giant contraption like that of the second picture to be efficient, Hotblood is almost a requirement! :smallwink:

theMycon
2008-12-11, 10:59 AM
By RAW, you can only use Animated Objects to attack. So, as long as it has a Commoner to chase after in order to move around, it'll work. But it would probably be cheaper and faster to size increase a Warforged or golem...

Combine these ideas. Have a golem capable of moving a tiny bit faster than The Mobile Oppression Palace running in front of it, set as priority #2 to hunt & attack he running golem. Have priority #1 be "what's between me and the golem."

Have the running golem be programmed to bull-rush through crowds/walls, hide inside or behind them, then wait until the crowd of people and/or building materials is dispersed by The Mobile Oppression Palace to move on. Maybe somewhere, way down the priority line, should be "distinguish who we're oppressing, as opposed to whoever's around, and tackle them." So that there's a slight preference towards those you want to oppress.

Stupendous_Man
2008-12-11, 11:33 AM
Can we have an illusionary target to be oppressed instead of an actual target?

Yukitsu
2008-12-11, 12:01 PM
Theory:

1: Shrink object a collosal ++ doom fortress into a merely gargantuan doom fortress.
2: permanency an animate object
3:????
4: Profit.

This method lets you build a doom fortress 320 feet tall. :smallwink:

Bouregard
2008-12-11, 12:06 PM
If you have to order it something to attack to make it move why not say "Attack that rock 500 miles south of here"? I mean does it states somewhere the object to attack has to be alive/ or something that could fight back?

Oh and you won't need any weapons. A castle made of Iron is pretty heavy as I recall. Just drop it on somebody. So. Whats the damage for being hit on the head from a flying ironmade castle?

Stupendous_Man
2008-12-11, 04:14 PM
Theory:

1: Shrink object a collosal ++ doom fortress into a merely gargantuan doom fortress.
2: permanency an animate object
3:????
4: Profit.

This method lets you build a doom fortress 320 feet tall. :smallwink:

You know, this gets better if you Fabricate each individual arm, leg, torso, head, and etc as a Colossal ++ object, shrink them, animate + permanency, then instruct them to grapple one another...

Go Go Power Rangers!

Rebonack
2008-12-11, 04:31 PM
Cast overland flight on the individual pieces and you'll have yourself some regular Voltron action going.

I know that's how I make my giant flying air-fortresses of doom.

Pie Guy
2008-12-11, 04:31 PM
If you have to order it something to attack to make it move why not say "Attack that rock 500 miles south of here"? I mean does it states somewhere the object to attack has to be alive/ or something that could fight back?

Oh and you won't need any weapons. A castle made of Iron is pretty heavy as I recall. Just drop it on somebody. So. Whats the damage for being hit on the head from a flying ironmade castle?

Well, the issue with that is it's a dc 15 to dodge falling objects...

Flickerdart
2008-12-11, 04:33 PM
Well, the issue with that is it's a dc 15 to dodge falling objects...
If the fortress is bigger than the target's move speed, won't help you one bit.

Tacoma
2008-12-11, 04:35 PM
You want your fortress to be able to run in any direction, right?

Well you can't just have one Commoner on a stick, because it would always run toward that Commoner.

Instead, you must have perhaps one Commoner every ten feet. But then the fortress would run in all directions!

So each Commoner must be sealed in a metal cage. You remotely open the cage in the direction you want the Fortress to charge. When that terrified peasant's cage closes you open the other cage to change direction.

It would probably be best if you gave the Fortress of Oppression the ability to smell fear. This way, if you increase the fear of the navi-peasants you increase the movement of the Fortress. This might best be accomplished through liberal use of illusions, psionics, Emotion spells, dripping water, angry letters and calls from bill collectors and parole officers, and verbal abuse from various minions.

It's important that you create a culture of descending verbal abuse among your minions, such that the lowest minions have nobody to abuse (except the navi-peasants and ammo-peasants) and so have reason to work hard to advance themselves through cruelty. Higher-level minions have more opportunities for abuse and fewer opportunities to be abused. Finally your highest level minions get the privilege of being abused directly by you.

As I said, your ammo-peasants will be excellent projectiles, but alone would simply create unsightly blotches on the landscape. Instead, equip each catapult with an ammo-peasant and a book. The book, you tell him, contains a Feather Fall spell of very short duration. You must read it as close to the target as possible. Equip him with spiked armor and a voluminous cloak made of caltrops sewn together by minions. Give him multiple bandoliers of razor-sharp daggers.

The book contains Explosive Runes. The ammo-peasant's equipment is intended for shrapnel value. A direct hit is desirable.

You'll also want some kind of sensor on the feet so you can tell when someone is climbing up and when you squish something. Try to squish something with all eight feet at once! You might have better luck in the middle of town or a field of sheep or cattle, what with all the targets.

Spread rumors that your Fortress sometimes leaves metal scraps and junk in its footprints. One villager even found a discarded spellbook! Include a mechanism for dropping dung and the occasional Explosive Runes book, and vials of poison marked "Healing", to be ejected from the foot assemblies at random.

Fill your treasure rooms with cursed items and guard them with minions armed with ammo-peasant launchers.

Create a resonating "music room" in the center of the Fortress where you will keep backup navi-peasants for when those in service die of fright or the occasional cage mechanism malfunction. Their moans are directed about the Fortress via sound conduits as encouragement.

Your Fortress should also offer mortgages but only to people who have no ability to pay them back.

Tacoma
2008-12-11, 04:37 PM
You know, this gets better if you Fabricate each individual arm, leg, torso, head, and etc as a Colossal ++ object, shrink them, animate + permanency, then instruct them to grapple one another...

Go Go Power Rangers!

I love the fact that the Shrink spell might be dispelled but not the Permanency, resulting in the triumphant Wizard facing a structure ten times the previous size and danger. No reason why it wouldn't still be animate. After all, the requirement of the spell is that you cannot target a larger object with the spell, not that it cannot affect the object.

theMycon
2008-12-11, 07:08 PM
STUFF
You'd have to feed the commoners, eventually. Or at least replace them. Even with infinite chickens, they'll still fall victim to scurvy in a few weeks.

That's why I suggested the recursive targetting and a small golem. A golem has more advanced AI than an animated object, and thus can handle a more complex programming. The Palace itself just needs to have a casting saying "attack that tiny golem that can outpace me", followed by one (to override but not over-write) saying "attack whatever's between him & me."

Thus it can oppress on just pennies a day, with no programming maintenance necessary. Though, you can tell the golem what to do whenever you want to give a more complex order to the golem-palace system.

kopout
2008-12-11, 09:00 PM
1 build fore long tubes facing outward symmetrical from a central turit
2fill the tubes with commoners facing in a straight line
3 give the guy on the inside end of the canon you want to fire a staff
4 have him pas it to the guy in front of him and so on down the line
5???
6 KA-BOOM!

elliott20
2008-12-11, 09:06 PM
If you are talking giant mechanical weapons... in fact, I would recommend the opposite. For a giant contraption like that of the second picture to be efficient, Hotblood is almost a requirement! :smallwink:

Feh! Don't you know that all Decapodian Technology is COLD BLOODED?

[/decapodian ambassador]

Saint Nil
2008-12-11, 09:18 PM
Couldn't you just make a much smaller fortress with the command to attack the ground with it's feet/keep moving to get all the ground, and order the larger fortress to attack it?

Deth Muncher
2008-12-11, 09:26 PM
O HAI. So apparently, the stronghold builder's guide already beat you to this. Under the passage about "Fortress Locomotion."

Stupendous_Man
2008-12-11, 09:27 PM
Couldn't you just make a much smaller fortress with the command to attack the ground with it's feet/keep moving to get all the ground, and order the larger fortress to attack it?

Brilliant.

Oppress the earth as well!

You shall be rewarded.

Yukitsu
2008-12-11, 09:28 PM
The stronghold builders guide is the expensive method, and I in no way endorse it.

Stupendous_Man
2008-12-11, 09:39 PM
So currently, we seem to be at:

1. Cast Wall of Stone or Wall of Iron many times. (Use the profit generated from selling off one Wall of Iron to fuel the other Walls if necessary.)

2. Cast Fabricate to turn your Walls into the parts of a giant walking battle castle. Make them Colossal ++

3. Jack up your caster level and cast Animate Object on all the parts, followed by Permanency.

4. Order your animated parts to grapple one another.

5. Arm with

Quarterstaff rail guns - Infinite ammo, as it costs nothing to make a quarterstaff.
Catapults firing books of Exploding Runes trapped to cast Erase on themselves when they hit the ground
Elemental ballistas
Rickrolls (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0)- A bard stands in the "mouth" and sings Rickrolls, Inspire Courage + Masterwork Drums/Horn/whatever combined with the Haunting Melody feat. This will demoralize the enemy and Inspire Courage to the Fortress and it's Oppressors.

5. Christen your Mobile Fortress of Oppression Maurice and take it to town.

6. ???

7. Profit!

Tacoma
2008-12-12, 04:26 PM
I ... thought someone had to actually read the books of Explosive Runes ...

SurlySeraph
2008-12-12, 04:33 PM
I ... thought someone had to actually read the books of Explosive Runes ...

If you attempt to Erase or dispel Explosive Runes and don't succeed, they explode. What was intended as a consequence for failure became a way for players to make devastating bombs out of paper.

Alternately, for greater oppressiveness, you could throw literate commoners with the Explosive Runes books and force them to read.

Tacoma
2008-12-12, 05:50 PM
Make your Loyalty Posters with Symbols of Pain and a big grinning mustachioed face of Big Brother.

Flickerdart
2008-12-12, 06:15 PM
Yes! We shall have Nesting Dolls of Oppression! From Colossal++ to Diminutive, the Fortresses will Oppress large and small alike! Oppression isn't a size-discriminating field (unless you're oppressing a certain size category).

Doomsy
2008-12-12, 06:20 PM

Thank you, Flickerdart. I will never have the mental image of a wizard having a commoner dangling from a very long stick in front of this monstrosity out of my head again, ever.

Tacoma
2008-12-12, 06:22 PM
Jallarzi Sallivarian's Nesting Dolls of Oppression?

Who remembers old Jallarzi these days ...

Flickerdart
2008-12-12, 06:46 PM
Jallarzi Sallivarian's Nesting Dolls of Oppression?

Who remembers old Jallarzi these days ...

Jallarzi Sallivarian's Nesting Dolls of Oppression
Conjuration (Summoning) [Evil]
Level: Sor/Wiz 8, Clr 8
Components: V, S, M, F
Casting Time: 1 round
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Effect: Ten constructs of various sizes
Duration: 1 round/level
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

This spell calls up ten Animated Palaces of Oppression to fight for you, one of every size category up to Colossal++. They obey the rules of Animated Objects, except for the Explosive Runes ability.

Explosive Runes (Su): A Palace cannot use this ability for 1d10 rounds after it is summoned and 1d6 rounds every time it uses this ability thereafter. Once per round, an Animated Palace of Oppression can use this ability as per Fireball, except the radius of the blast is 10 feet, the damage is Force, and the attack deals 6d6 damage for every round since it was last used (Reflex save half).

Arcane focus: A meticulously crafted miniature version of the kind of Palace you want this spell to produce. A Warhammer figurine is acceptable.
Material component: As many commoners as the Palaces have uses of Explosive Runes.

Tacoma
2008-12-12, 07:02 PM
*Shriek*
That man used Cousin Yojimbo as a spell component and he done disappeared!

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-12-12, 08:42 PM
Alternately, for greater oppressiveness, you could throw literate commoners with the Explosive Runes books and force them to read.Even with this force, you will still need an army. Make them 1st-level Programmed Amnesia'd(yes, trust me, not Mindrape) warriors/commoners and take ranks in Craft:Tattoo. Suicide Bombers who blow up when the enemy tries to free them. We are evil, right?

Yukitsu
2008-12-12, 08:44 PM
Nah, crapsack world. We're the good guys.

You know what this needs? Thousands of animated object arms activating and deactivating immovable rods, such that it can fly.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-12-12, 08:52 PM
Nah, crapsack world. We're the good guys.So Undead and Planar-Bound Demons rather than Commoners. Got ya.

Weezer
2008-12-12, 09:43 PM
or just use illusions so the fortress thinks its attacking something. that solves the problem of getting it to quickly changing direction and is equally usable by evil and good types.

Inhuman Bot
2008-12-12, 09:57 PM
Idea of weapons: would it be possable to program a golem with the locate city bomb, if you advanced it to have the requirments, then awakend it?

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-12-12, 09:59 PM
Idea of weapons: would it be possable to program a golem with the locate city bomb, if you advanced it to have the requirments, then awakend it?Heck, you could make an item that does it at-will.

Flickerdart
2008-12-12, 10:05 PM
or just use illusions so the fortress thinks its attacking something. that solves the problem of getting it to quickly changing direction and is equally usable by evil and good types.
You can't fire Explosive Runes guns with illusions. Evil only.

Collin152
2008-12-12, 11:04 PM
Even with this force, you will still need an army. Make them 1st-level Programmed Amnesia'd(yes, trust me, not Mindrape) warriors/commoners and take ranks in Craft:Tattoo. Suicide Bombers who blow up when the enemy tries to free them. We are evil, right?

Yes Mindrape.
Always Mindrape.
Mindrape!

Seriosuly though, Commoner-on-a-stick navigation unit? Sheer genius.
Forcing commoners to read from an exploding book?
Even better.
Why, if they don't know the book explodes, you could use one of many enchantment effects.

Isn't is just a failed attempt to destroy the runes that sets them off?
Give the commoner a club, tell him to club the book. He's not going to kill it, but the thing'll go off on him.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-12-12, 11:06 PM
Yes Mindrape.
Always Mindrape.
Mindrape!

Even better.
Why, if they don't know the book explodes, you could use one of many enchantment effects.

Give the commoner a club, tell him to club the book. He's not going to kill it, but the thing'll go off on him.Programmed Amnesia because it's weaker. That way when the enemy will try to dispel/disjoin the enchantment, and set off the Runes in the process.

BRC
2008-12-12, 11:09 PM
Yes Mindrape.
Always Mindrape.
Mindrape!

Even better.

Give the commoner a club, tell him to club the book. He's not going to kill it, but the thing'll go off on him.
You could also use a ghost, or any other incorporeal creature that the fortress couldn't actually hit.

Edit: Collin, you scare me.

Collin152
2008-12-12, 11:13 PM
You could also use a ghost, or any other incorporeal creature that the fortress couldn't actually hit.

Edit: Collin, you scare me.

Problem is keeping it on a leash.

And I should. But would you mind explaining why?

SurlySeraph
2008-12-12, 11:43 PM
Presumably because he does not wish to be mindraped?

D Knight
2008-12-13, 01:51 AM
you know you could build your mobile fortress out of a dead dragon skull and have i pulled by phantom steeds. one of my friends did just this with a bard who had 7-8 hp and was the only one who did not die at sometime in game.

Asheram
2008-12-13, 04:52 AM
Even with this force, you will still need an army. Make them 1st-level Programmed Amnesia'd(yes, trust me, not Mindrape) warriors/commoners and take ranks in Craft:Tattoo. Suicide Bombers who blow up when the enemy tries to free them. We are evil, right?

So that's the evil version? is this the good version then? :smallbiggrin:
And this has area of effect! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhmnOpoGAPw)

MattR
2008-12-13, 05:19 AM
/ponders....

If i plan on oppressing people i'd first invite the ringleaders of any rebellion into my Fortress to discuss things.

Of course inside the fortress all the doors would be Japanese shoji or fusuma (paper-covered sliding doors) with explosive runes. They also wouldn't slide open :)

If they somehow survived the subsequent explosions on the way to meet me i'd complain about their lack of manners . I like my doors.

Aquillion
2008-12-13, 07:22 AM
The method I outlined costs no money or XP. In fact, if you abuse Wall of Iron, you gain money...By that logic, nothing costs you any money, because you can always abuse wall of iron. If you're going to abuse wall of iron, just earn a ton of money and buy a flying fortress the old-fashioned way.

Alleine
2008-12-13, 03:13 PM
I think I can fix the complicated navigation problems. Don't Animate the fortress, have some BE the fortress.

Fiend Folio, I believe, has three prestige classes at the back one of which is Fiend of Possession. At a certain level the Fiend of Possession gains the ability to possess and animate objects of colossal size as if with the Animate Objects spell. It can also simply move the fortress with another power of the prestige class that lets it move any parts of the object designed for moving such as the legs/arms/wheels. I actually have a character designed around this concept.

Now you have a sentient Mobile Fortress of Oppression,

hamishspence
2008-12-13, 03:15 PM
sounds like a Chaos Titan, they are usually Daemonically Possessed.

which can make for a slightly 40K-ish flavor. Though there was that Epic Flesh Colossus that is usually possessed by a ghost to animate it.

Deth Muncher
2008-12-13, 03:29 PM
sounds like a Chaos Titan, they are usually Daemonically Possessed.

which can make for a slightly 40K-ish flavor. Though there was that Epic Flesh Colossus that is usually possessed by a ghost to animate it.

I was actually just thinking along this nature: Why not do what Eberron did for the flying ships and just bind an elemental to it?

hamishspence
2008-12-13, 03:51 PM
thats just what a golem is- going by MM and MM2 (MM2 has the Nimblewright- more intelligent than most golems, with Air elemental bound)

I think the normal rule is, for something as big as a true colossus, Epic magic is needed if you want it loyal. Waterdeep: City of Splendours has a slightly smaller stone construct, still more intelligent and bigger than stone golems- doesn't need epic magic to make.

Yukitsu
2008-12-13, 03:56 PM
We found a way around that.

Deth Muncher
2008-12-13, 04:05 PM
thats just what a golem is- going by MM and MM2 (MM2 has the Nimblewright- more intelligent than most golems, with Air elemental bound)

I think the normal rule is, for something as big as a true colossus, Epic magic is needed if you want it loyal. Waterdeep: City of Splendours has a slightly smaller stone construct, still more intelligent and bigger than stone golems- doesn't need epic magic to make.

Also, I still assert that the Stronghold Builders Guide has things exactly for this, like, oh "Fortress Locomotion." You can go from Slowest (which is 1/96 mph) to fastest (10mph). Decidedly, this is more expensive that a commoner on a string though.

Alternative idea for locomotion:

This assumes you can Mindrape or Dominate a ghost. What you do is simply lure the ghost near the almost finished Fortress, then cast something that would have a set barrier it couldn't leave: perhaps something like Circle vs Evil or something? Now it's trapped within the circle. Proceed to Dominate it. Gratz, now you can make it go wherever you want, and it can't smash the ghost.

Those of you who know spells a bit better than I could try to figger out what spells would work for those things.

BRC
2008-12-13, 04:09 PM
Also, I still assert that the Stronghold Builders Guide has things exactly for this, like, oh "Fortress Locomotion." You can go from Slowest (which is 1/96 mph) to fastest (10mph). Decidedly, this is more expensive that a commoner on a string though.

Alternative idea for locomotion:

This assumes you can Mindrape or Dominate a ghost. What you do is simply lure the ghost near the almost finished Fortress, then cast something that would have a set barrier it couldn't leave: perhaps something like Circle vs Evil or something? Now it's trapped within the circle. Proceed to Dominate it. Gratz, now you can make it go wherever you want, and it can't smash the ghost.

Those of you who know spells a bit better than I could try to figger out what spells would work for those things.

I already suggested that.

Alright, now, this fortress needs armaments. I reccomend you get an elite strike force of Hadooze (Flying Pirate Monkeys from Stormwrack who can glide 20ft horizontally for every 5 feet they fall and don't take falling damage, for no L.A.) That jump off the top of the fortress.

Either that, or you take one and engage in what I call, the Best Idea Ever, which operates under a few principles
1. Everything is better with Monkeys
2. Everything is better with Rockets.

You work it out.

Yukitsu
2008-12-13, 04:10 PM
Monkeys with rocket launchers?
Monkeys with rocket packs?
Rockets with monkey launchers?

Deth Muncher
2008-12-13, 04:12 PM
I already suggested that.

Oh, I'm aware. but someone had asked how to keep it on a leash: Thus, Dominate and something that gives it a finite barrier, like CoP: Evil or something.

BRC
2008-12-13, 04:13 PM
Monkeys with rocket packs?

You know that a squadron of Rocket Apes is the best thing ever, don't deny it.

Yukitsu
2008-12-13, 04:14 PM
Only if they have levels in ninja and dread pirate, and hate themselves with the fury of a volcano.

BRC
2008-12-13, 04:16 PM
Only if they have levels in ninja and dread pirate, and hate themselves with the fury of a volcano.

Wait, so ANGRY Rocket Ninja Pirate Apes?

Why not make them Zombie Robots while were at it.

Yukitsu
2008-12-13, 04:19 PM
Zombies and robots can't be angry. Half construct template would still be emotional. Can we get half zombie?

BRC
2008-12-13, 04:20 PM
Zombies and robots can't be angry. Half construct template would still be emotional. Can we get half zombie?
There is the Zombie Arm graft from Libris Mortis.

So, what are we at now, a Mobile Fortress of Opression, with an elite force of ANGRY Half-golem Hadooze Dread Pirate/Ninjas with Zombie arm grafts and Rockets strapped to their backs?

Yukitsu
2008-12-13, 04:37 PM
Maybe we can shape the doom fortress to look like a T-rex. And give it massive goggles of scorching ray. And a mouthguard of meteor swarm.

hamishspence
2008-12-13, 04:40 PM
Ninja-Pirates riding in ship carried by giant Dinosaur were in Nodwick- Dragon 318. Sadly, monkeys, while mentioned elsewhere, weren't in that comic.

For we are the shadow that comes in the night and says "Arrrr!" :smallbiggrin: