PDA

View Full Version : "We are the Supreme Rulers," Lord of Mechanus PrC (Please, PEACH)

Lappy9000
2008-12-11, 03:35 AM
(Ed note: Yay! I finally finished the iconic masters of humanity in the aptly named Lords of Mechanus campaign setting! This my first ever prestige class, so please be sure to apply copious amounts of PEACH in your posts. Prestige classes seem more difficult to balance, and I think it came off as somewhat haphazard. Oh well, enjoy!)

Lord of Mechanus

http://th01.deviantart.com/fs5/300W/i/2004/300/8/f/Mey_Lafeyette_by_Albel.jpg
-Zakhara, Lord of Mechanus and former Legislator of Ladrac.
Image Property of Albel (http://albel.deviantart.com/)

In the midst of humanity's struggle on Dolsaren came the Lords of Mechanus, enforcers of order and self-proclaimed rulers of mankind. Within a few short centuries, the empire of the Mechanal Lords expanded to include the entire continent, encompassing all lands and races. The Lords of Mechanus proceeded to innovate, churning out magical inventions never before seen. However, no domains are eternal, and the empire of the Mechanal Lords eventually fell to destruction. Some lords still remain, biding their time until they once again shall rule over humanity.

Hit Die: d4.

Requirements
To qualify to become a Lord of Mechanus, a character must fulfill all the following criteria.

Race: Human.
Alignment: Any lawful.
Abilities: Charisma 13.
Skills: Knowledge (arcana) 10 ranks, Knowledge (the planes) 10 ranks.
Spells: Able to cast 4th-level arcane spells.

Class Skills
The Lord of Mechanus's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Bluff (Cha), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Decipher Script (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Knowledge (arcana) (Int), Knowledge (the planes) (Int), Profession (Wis), Sense Motive (Wis), and Spellcraft (Int).

Skill Points at Each Level
2 + Int modifier.

Table: The Lord of Mechanus
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Spells|Command

1st|
+0|
+0|
+0|
+2|Supreme Authority| |4

2nd|
+1|
+0|
+0|
+3|Craft Construct|+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class|6

3rd|
+1|
+1|
+1|
+3|Clockwork Restoration||8

4th|
+2|
+1|
+1|
+4|Supreme Authority|+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class |10

5th|
+2|
+1|
+1|
+4|Lawful Sanction| |12

6th|
+3|
+2|
+2|
+5|Methodic Madness|1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class |14

7th|
+3|
+2|
+2|
+5|Supreme Authority| |16

8th|
+4|
+2|
+2|
+6|Vigor of Order|+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class |18

9th|
+4|
+3|
+3|
+6|Timeless Will||20

10th|
+5|
+3|
+3|
+7|Born to Rule, Supreme Authority|+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class |22[/table]

Class Features
Weapon and Armor Proficiency: A Lord of Mechanus gains no proficiency with any weapon or armor.

Command Points: A Lord of Mechanus posses imposing spirit, and are able to bend the wills of others to suit their plans. A Lord of Mechanus gains a number of Command Points as shown on Table: The Lord of Mechanus.

Supreme Authority (Su): A Lord of Mechanus is able to alter reality to better suite the forces of law. At 1st, 4th, 7th, and 10th level, she selects an ability from the list below.
Assert Certainty: By using 2 command points per individual, a Lord of Mechanus can increase the predictability of an individual's actions to any creature within a 30-foot radius for a number of rounds equal to 1 round per point of Charisma modifier. All damage dies change progression to a more orderly fashion as shown on Table: Dice Progression.

Table: Dice Progression
{table=head]Old Damage Dice|New Damage Dice
d4|1d2+2
d6|1d4+2
d8|1d4+4
d10|1d6+4
d12|1d6+6[/table]

Assert Conformity: By using 2 command points per individual, a Lord of Mechanus can free any creature within a 30-foot radius of its type and alignment for a number of rounds equal to 1 round per point of Charisma modifier. The targeted creatures become immune to spells or abilities that affect certain types or alignments, although they still retain all effects of their alignment and types. For example, an individual of an evil alignment target by Assert Conformity would become immune to the effects of a paladin's smite evil ability.

Assert Inevitability: By using 2 command points per individual, a Lord of Mechanus can press the unavoidable unto others within a 30-foot radius for a number of rounds equal to 1 round per point of Charisma modifier. This ability causes beneficial effects currently in use by an individual to halve their current duration.

Assert Innovation: By using 1 command point per individual, a Lord of Mechanus can innovate the manufactured armor of a creature within a 30-foot radius for a number of rounds equal to 1 round per point of Charisma modifier. To constructs or creatures wearing manufactured armor, this ability provides a +1 armor bonus to the creature's armor class. Further command points add on additional +1 bonuses to a maximum of the Lord of Mechanus' Charisma modifier.

Assert Obedience: By using 2 command points, a Lord of Mechanus can force her will over others. This ability functions like mass charm monster (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/charmPerson.htm), except that the ability only affects creatures of the humanoid or construct type. Save DC is 10 + Caster Level + Charisma modifier.

Assert Reason: By using 2 command points per individual, a Lord of Mechanus can implement the knowledge of law into others within a 30-foot radius for a number of rounds equal to 1 round per point of Charisma modifier. This knowledge proves a +2 insight bonus on AC and Attack rolls.
Spells per Day/Spells Known: When a new Lord of Mechanus level is gained, the character gains new spells per day (and spells known, if applicable) as if he had also gained a level in a spellcasting class she belonged to before she added the prestige class. She does not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained. This essentially means that she adds the Lord of Mechanus level to the level of some other spellcasting class the character has, then determines spells per day, spells known, and caster level accordingly.

Craft Construct: At 2nd level, a Lord of Mechanus gains Craft Construct as a bonus feat, even is she does not meet the prerequisites. If she already has this feat, she may select another item creation feat.

Clockwork Restoration (Su): At 3rd level and later, a Lord of Mechanus can spend a command point to repair 1d8 points of damage to all creatures of the Construct type within a 30-foot radius.

Lawful Sanction (Su): At 5th level and later, a Lord of Mechanus can use one command point to turn a single, unenchanted weapon into an axiomatic (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicWeapons.htm#axiomatic) weapon as a standard action that provokes an attack of opportunity. The weapons touched remain as axiomatic weapons for a number or rounds equal to the Lord of Mechanus' Charisma modifier (minimum 1).

Methodic Madness (Ex): At 6th level, the power of the Mechanal Lords becomes a force of pure law so great that others simply can't comprehend its complexity. Anyone who attempts to read the thoughts of a Lord of Mechanus or otherwise study its mind must make a Will save equal to 10 + Lord of Mechanus' Caster Level + Charisma modifier or suffer the effects of an insanity (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/insanity.htm) spell.

Vigor of Order (Ex): At 8th level, a Lord of Mechanus gains DR5/Chaos and spell resistance 15 against chaotic spells and spells cast by chaotic creatures.

Timeless Will (Ex): After attaining 9th level, a Lord of Mechanus no longer takes ability score penalties for aging and cannot be magically aged. Any penalties she may have already incurred, however, remain in place.

Bonuses still accrue, and the Lord of Mechanus still dies of old age when her time is up.

Born to Rule (Su): After attaining 10th level, a Lord of Mechanus can cast Dominate Monster (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/dominateMonster.htm) as a spell-like ability a number of times per day equal to her Charisma modifier with a save DC of 10 + Caster level + Charisma mofidier. In addition, when making a Bluff or Diplomacy check, a Lord of Mechanus may take 10 even if stress and distractions would normally prevent him from doing so.

Lappy9000
2008-12-12, 01:37 PM
Aspiring young threadomancer, Lapay Nin-Thohzand, continued his fearsome battle with a cabal of hombrueationists. Spells were being slung left and right, the fearsome arcane energies ripping through the fetid air of the ancient dungeon. Despite his best efforts, two homebrueationists still remained, creating original monsters that began to gang up on the threadomancer. Realizing that he had to end the battle fast, or perish by the minty hands of the newly-created peppermint golems, Lapay quickly unraveled a scroll containing the most powerful spell of threadomancy he knew. Envoking the power of the scroll, Lapay spoke,

"Ancient topics long since dead, I resurrect my homebrew thread!"

Bursting from the dungeon floor was the thread Lapay had created just the previous night, its weighty contents crushing the peppermint golems forcing their masters to flee. Knowing that his thread would attract even more homebrueationists, Lapay waited for the critique of his work that they would surely bring....

Debihuman
2008-12-13, 12:15 PM
I'm not especially good at assessing prestige classes but this strikes me as off somehow. I think the spell-casting progressing really hurts this as a prestige class. Why do they only gain spells at every even level?

I think creating Command Points unnecessarily complicates the class. Using this ability should be limited to creatures that are chaotic. Also, you should have given this class a CHA requirement of Minimum 13.

Debby

Lappy9000
2008-12-13, 12:24 PM
I'm not especially good at assessing prestige classes but this strikes me as off somehow. I think the spell-casting progressing really hurts this as a prestige class. Why do they only gain spells at every even level?

I think creating Command Points unnecessarily complicates the class. Using this ability should be limited to creatures that are chaotic. Also, you should have given this class a CHA requirement of Minimum 13.

Debby

Originally, I decided I needed to make something that actually sets the Lords apart from other spell casters, and a prestige class seemed like a good way to go about it. However, it quickly devolved into some kinda controller class, and I was afraid the full casting level would overpower things...

Regarding the command abilities, do you mean they should only affect creatures of chaotic alignments?

And yes, that Charisma requirement would make alot of sense. I'll edit that in right now.

EDIT: Gak, the more I've looked at this, the more it screams "Re-write." Fortunately, I have a back-up if the class falls, through.

blackspeeker
2008-12-13, 04:38 PM
Originally, I decided I needed to make something that actually sets the Lords apart from other spell casters, and a prestige class seemed like a good way to go about it. However, it quickly devolved into some kinda controller class, and I was afraid the full casting level would overpower things...

Well why would you worry about overpowering the supreme rulers of your campaign setting, unless of course they aren't as supremely powerful individuals that you've made them out to be.
^
That there is me trying to get you to paint you into some sort of corner.

Glooble Glistencrist
2008-12-13, 04:51 PM
I really like the assert certainty ability. And I think half caster progression makes a lot of sense here.

Night10194
2008-12-13, 09:39 PM
I like the basic concept of the Command Points, but it seems strange that they're mostly used for magical effects. I recognize that these people are supreme symbols of law and arcane innovation, it seems odd that rulers would only have domination spell-like effects and things for their COmmand. Perhaps a few more ally-enhancing abilities would be in order, like Assert Reason? I could certainly see this as a mix of a magical overlord and a bit of Marshal flavor, after all.

Lappy9000
2008-12-13, 09:54 PM
Well why would you worry about overpowering the supreme rulers of your campaign setting, unless of course they aren't as supremely powerful individuals that you've made them out to be.
^
That there is me trying to get you to paint you into some sort of corner.
Well, originally they weren't meant for PC use, as you can imagine. Then I decided, what the heck, how bad could they mess things up? ^That there is me tempting fate.

I like the basic concept of the Command Points, but it seems strange that they're mostly used for magical effects. I recognize that these people are supreme symbols of law and arcane innovation, it seems odd that rulers would only have domination spell-like effects and things for their COmmand. Perhaps a few more ally-enhancing abilities would be in order, like Assert Reason? I could certainly see this as a mix of a magical overlord and a bit of Marshal flavor, after all.
Honestly? I just ran out of ideas :smallredface:
I'm gonna do some brainstorming; if anyone else has some suggestions for powers, I'd love to hear them.

EDIT: Hmm...so would it make more sense to continue use of the command points, or split things up into a continuing effect like the Marshal? I'm currently leaning towards the latter, but I'd like some more opinions.

Debihuman
2008-12-13, 10:26 PM
Regarding the command abilities, do you mean they should only affect creatures of chaotic alignments?

That was what I was thinking but perhaps that's a bit out of line.

Debby

Lappy9000
2008-12-13, 10:48 PM
That was what I was thinking but perhaps that's a bit out of line.

Debby
I actually thought up some reasoning earlier today: The forces of law wielded by the Lords of Mechanus is so great that even lawful creatures are affected by the axiomatic energies.

...or something along those lines.