PDA

View Full Version : [SPOILER for the Giant] I have a bad feeling about this...

Max_Sinister
2008-12-11, 07:43 AM
about Celia, to be precisely.

In the latter strips she acts more and more like a Stupid Good character. Now remember Lawful Stupid Miko Miyazaki, and how she ended.

Poor Roy. Do all the women he loves have to die? I hope not.

Kaytara
2008-12-11, 07:56 AM
She isn't in any more danger now than she was at the beginning of this arc. Actually, I'd say she's in less danger, since she HAS learned a few things.

If she were truly Stupid Good, she would've flown in to save Haley a few moments ago against Roy's urgings and would've been butchered by Crystal and Bozzok. That fact that she realized that there's not a chance in heaven she can save Haley alone in this situation speaks well of her.

factotum
2008-12-11, 08:22 AM
I don't think Roy ever really loved Miko--if he had, he wouldn't have gone off her so quickly after the inn fire. And I really don't see any similarities whatsoever between Celia's characterisation and Miko's, to be honest...

BRC
2008-12-11, 08:25 AM
I don't think Roy ever really loved Miko--if he had, he wouldn't have gone off her so quickly after the inn fire. And I really don't see any similarities whatsoever between Celia's characterisation and Miko's, to be honest...
There was no love involved, Roy just thought Miko was hot and any perieved affection was as a result of the Trouser Titan.

Tempest Fennac
2008-12-11, 08:46 AM
I disagree with the idea that Miko was Lawful Stupid to be honest (while she always attempted to stick to what she thought the Paladin code told her to do, the Ogre incident shows that she was happy to push its boundries in order to get the job done). I also think Celia was just stupid a lot of the time rather then Stupid Good (I'd class wanting to avoid violence as perfectly reasonable for someone who isn't an adventurer, but the fact that she decided to go into Greysky City dispite Haley's warnings was just moronic.

Roderick_BR
2008-12-11, 11:58 AM
I don't see Celia doing anything stupid. She's just acting as a "normal" person, a non-adventurer, would. I remember not long ago someone said she was a DMPC type of character. Far from it. She has some knowledge most adventurers don't have cause they never bothered to learn, and lacks the mindset and specific knowledge your average adventurer have.
Right now she's starting to panic with all the relentless assault, not something she's used to, but managed to keep her wits together long enough to know when to step in, and when to dive to rescue Haley. I'd say she have a good survival chance, unless some plot-device gets her.

NerfTW
2008-12-11, 12:00 PM
Celia isn't "stupid", she's just naive. She doesn't have any prior experience fighting for her life or killing monsters, not to mention as a fairy/pixie/whatever, she falls into that catagory of "non player race designed for XP".

dps
2008-12-11, 01:20 PM

In the latter strips she acts more and more like a Stupid Good character. Now remember Lawful Stupid Miko Miyazaki, and how she ended.

I find it highly unlikely that Celia is going to be chopped in two by destroying a gate. At least, not anytime soon. :smallbiggrin:

omgpeachsnapple
2008-12-11, 02:14 PM
the Trouser Titan.

You call it the...

T-O-E
2008-12-11, 02:32 PM
This is naivete? (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0574.html)

fangthane
2008-12-11, 04:02 PM
Yep. Her reading comprehension is presumably pretty good, but nowhere does anyone explicitly point out the facts of the matter. Her lack of worldly wisdom causes her to misinterpret, which is naivete, a failed Sense Motive, etc.
And hey, maybe the Giant's deliberately brought up her mortality just to make a joke afterward that "Gee, I thought for sure something would happen after we talked about how I can't be resurrected!"

I'd be tempted to do something like that, but I don't have anything like the skill or inclination to do what the Giant does, so who knows. :)

Linkavitch
2008-12-11, 04:06 PM
You call it the...

Well, that's what Roy called it.

Lizard Lord
2008-12-11, 04:29 PM
the Trouser Titan.

You call it the...

Not the point!

Grail
2008-12-11, 05:37 PM

Celia is an annoyance at best in the comic. I think the Giant actually struggles to write well for her, as we can see from the stretched and drawn out attempt at humour in the last strip. Personally, I'd have no problems seeing her croak.

Demented
2008-12-11, 07:08 PM
This is naivete? (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0574.html)

She IS a defense attorney.

That part of her brain was probably surgically removed.

TARINunit9
2008-12-14, 03:44 AM
Now remember Lawful Stupid Miko Miyazaki, and how she ended.

Fair warning, so prepare yourself: you're gonna get a LOT of grief over that, Max_Sinister, from the Miko fanbase, the anti-Miko fanbase, the Roy/Celia fanbase, the Roy/Miko fanbase, the............

Assassin89
2008-12-14, 08:23 AM
Remember that Celia said in #529 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0529.html)?

Sorry about the light show, I thought you were my mom. She likes to summon me home and ask why she doesn't have any grandchildren yet.
Celia being summoned by her mother at the last second may or may not be used by the Giant

Maxdibe
2008-12-14, 05:45 PM

...ok, that's how I think it will end:
(a spoiler code in a spoiler thread, nice!)
Celia will die and ascend, Roy will have to decide: stay with her in celestial realms or get resurrected and never see her again.
I don't hope so but, just in case remember: she can't be raised from the dead (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0603.html)...

holywhippet
2008-12-14, 06:30 PM
Can Celia use the plane shifting power she used to arrive at will? I'm not sure if being grappled stops spell like abilities.

planswalker
2008-12-14, 10:43 PM
spell like abilities are treated very much like spells, including a grapple requiring a concentration check*

*-disclaimer: if someone looks this up in the rules and finds that I am wrong, forgive me, this was off the top of my head.

holywhippet
2008-12-15, 03:50 PM
spell like abilities are treated very much like spells, including a grapple requiring a concentration check*

*-disclaimer: if someone looks this up in the rules and finds that I am wrong, forgive me, this was off the top of my head.

Cast a Spell

You can attempt to cast a spell while grappling or even while pinned (see below), provided its casting time is no more than 1 standard action, it has no somatic component, and you have in hand any material components or focuses you might need. Any spell that requires precise and careful action is impossible to cast while grappling or being pinned. If the spell is one that you can cast while grappling, you must make a Concentration check (DC 20 + spell level) or lose the spell. You don’t have to make a successful grapple check to cast the spell.

That is for casting spells, but it doesn't list using spell like abilities in a grapple as being a valid action.

Hydro Globus
2008-12-15, 05:48 PM
Using a spell-like ability while threatened provokes attacks of opportunity. It is possible to make a Concentration check to use a spell-like ability defensively and avoid provoking an attack of opportunity. A spell-like ability can be disrupted just as a spell can be. Spell-like abilities are subject to spell resistance and to being dispelled by dispel magic. They do not function in areas where magic is suppressed or negated.

Another excerpt from SRD.

Dublock
2008-12-16, 12:35 AM
although remember Rich does not always follow D&D rules, so she can still shift (or make her concentration check)