PDA

View Full Version : Necklace of Natural Weapons (D&D 3.5)

Maltore
2008-12-11, 09:02 AM
I am looking for input on the price for a Necklace of Natural Weapons (Savage Species). The entry says:

The enhancement bonuses on this necklace are applied to attack and damage rolls involving one or more of the wearer's natural weapons. In addition, any weapon special quality may be applied to this necklace, and the quality then applies to those natural weapons as well. <snip> Market Price: 600gp, plus the cost of the enhancement bonuses, multiplied by the number of natural weapons affected. A +1 Necklace of Natural Weapons that affects one natural weapon costs 2600gp; if the same necklace affect six natural weapons, it costs 15600gp.

One of my players is a werebear. He has two natural weapons: a claw and a bite. On a full attack, he gets two claw attacks and one bite attack. I would like to give him the above necklace for his claw attacks, and am not entirely sure whether to count the cost once or twice.

Reasons to feel it should be counted twice: First off, even with the cost applied twice, this necklace is significantly cheaper than an Amulet of Mighty Fists (DMG, and the 'standard' item to improve natural attacks), especially at higher enhancements. Not to mention that you can put any weapon quality on it, where the Amulet is just a +X
Secondly, it will be enhancing both his claws, so later on when he adds flaming shocking what-have-you to it, it'll be there twice. A dual-wielding character needs to enchant both his weapons.

Reasons to feel it should be counted only once: No matter how high level he gets, he'll only ever be getting two claw attacks, whereas with a regular weapon you get to do your flaming shocking painfulness more and more often as your BAB increases.

I am not really looking for other people's interpretations of the RAW here, I'm looking for your opinion as to which is fairest compared to regular characters.

Darrin
2008-12-11, 09:11 AM
I am not really looking for other people's interpretations of the RAW here, I'm looking for your opinion as to which is fairest compared to regular characters.

If it's for a druid, make him pay extra.

If it's for a monk, give him a break, he needs all the help he can get.

BobVosh
2008-12-11, 09:14 AM

Except for cash. Doesn't really need much...

*waits for inevitable joke about partially drunk potions*

Starbuck_II
2008-12-11, 09:20 AM
I am looking for input on the price for a Necklace of Natural Weapons (Savage Species). The entry says:

One of my players is a werebear. He has two natural weapons: a claw and a bite. On a full attack, he gets two claw attacks and one bite attack. I would like to give him the above necklace for his claw attacks, and am not entirely sure whether to count the cost once or twice.

Twice, once for each claw.

Reasons to feel it should be counted twice: First off, even with the cost applied twice, this necklace is significantly cheaper than an Amulet of Mighty Fists (DMG, and the 'standard' item to improve natural attacks), especially at higher enhancements. Not to mention that you can put any weapon quality on it, where the Amulet is just a +X

The Both Necklaces are the wrong slot. This increases price by 30% or 1/3.
So if Item cost 3K for +1 as example: the Guantlet price is only 2K for +1.
A cheaper item, would be Guantlet of Natural Weapons.

Secondly, it will be enhancing both his claws, so later on when he adds flaming shocking what-have-you to it, it'll be there twice. A dual-wielding character needs to enchant both his weapons.

Again, it should be twice.

I feel RAW is the fairest.

Maltore
2008-12-11, 09:23 AM
If it's for a druid, make him pay extra.

If he were a druid, I'd be laughing in his face for taking the 3 racial HD and +3 LA, delaying his spellcasting and weakening his animal companion, for a damage reduction 10/silver, scent, and attacks he could have with wildshape anyway.

But anyway, fighter.

BobVosh
2008-12-11, 09:26 AM
If he were a druid, I'd be laughing in his face for taking the 3 racial HD and +3 LA, delaying his spellcasting and weakening his animal companion, for a damage reduction 10/silver, scent, and attacks he could have with wildshape anyway.

But anyway, fighter.

It is an amulet...how does he get LAs and HDs?

Oh and don't forget SS is 3.0, mighty fists is 3.5.

Different names but...similiar.

Maltore
2008-12-11, 09:38 AM
It is an amulet...how does he get LAs and HDs?

Oh and don't forget SS is 3.0, mighty fists is 3.5.

Different names but...similiar.

My OP clearly says we're talking about a werebear. Are you telling me the SS was never updated? I admit my book is old, I just assumed it would've been reprinted. Hmm.

Rebonack
2008-12-11, 09:52 AM
Charging people out the nose for magic weapons is already pretty ridiculous. Personally I'm all for making a magic weapon confer its enhancements temporarily onto a masterwork or better weapon in the other hand. Y'know, help make TWF suck slightly less.

As such I really wouldn't have any problem with making the cost of the amulet only cost the fellow who is already eating a level adjustment count once.