PDA

View Full Version : 4E Question: Weapon and Armor Levels / Running a Shop

Tenshin
2008-12-11, 11:15 AM
I've run 2 or 3 sessions now, mostly based on combat, lots of dialogue, it's been great! But now comes the time to let my players spend their hard earned cash and... I don't know what to sell!

Should I sell magic potions, rituals, 1 or 2 Magic Armors and Weapons in the smithy or make it available to them in some way?

They're still just level 3 and I don't even understand what this "armor level" means, I assume armor gets better with level, but... who's level? Does the armor have it's own XP chart? Is there a minimum level to wear the armor? How come the same armor costs 500gp at level 3 and 200000gp at level 27, does it evolve by itself or needs manual upgrade?

Is it still too early for them to find a +1 armor at the end of a dungeon? Is it a bad idea to put these magical armors for sale in a shop for 500gp+?

Mercenary Pen
2008-12-11, 11:20 AM
Needs a manual upgrade.

It's never too early for them to find +1 armour at the end of a dungeon.

Also, I recall that the DMG states that a party should expect to find items up to a couple of levels higher than them- as well as some that are slightly lower.

juggalotis
2008-12-11, 11:23 AM
armour level is just a relevant level to how good the armour is. example generally level 21 armor may have properties more useful then level 20 but thats not always the case and their both still plus 4 i think. Really it's not that relevant. if you wanted a level 1 char can use a level 30 item. i just generally use it as an idea of the level the characters should be at when it's aquired. the only place i saw it really useful was "starting at a high level" in the dmg.
It doesnt evolve on it's own by level though. think of the level as.i guess quality. a level 12 magic item and the same magic item at level 24 the only real differance is it's enhancement bonus and occasionally a stronger property. fluff wise think of it as the quality of the armor. and level three is a great time for +1 armor

Tenshin
2008-12-11, 11:26 AM
Thanks a bunch for the fast reply, guys. :smallsmile:

Mercenary Pen
2008-12-11, 11:27 AM
example generally level 21 armor may have properties more useful then level 20 but thats not always the case and their both still plus 4 i think.

Incorrect: Level 21 is the first batch of +5 armour

But if we assume you were talking about level 19 and 20 armour, that would correct matters.

juggalotis
2008-12-11, 11:28 AM
level three prolly they would be good having a plus 1 armour and weapon and maybe soon find a random item each (ie belt gloves boots)

juggalotis
2008-12-11, 11:29 AM
thanks mercenary. i appologize for my miscalculation my books were slightly out of reach and im tired.

Artanis
2008-12-11, 11:54 AM
When in doubt, look at the rules for starting at a higher level (DMG 143) and what the PCs have. Subtract the PCs' existing loot from what's recommended for that level, and have about that many options per PC.

I would give an example, but it is apparently a bit too hard to do in 30 seconds, so I'll give one in a little bit :smalltongue: .

Mando Knight
2008-12-11, 11:59 AM
If they've reached level 3 and haven't gotten any magic items yet, you're holding them back. The DMG (page 126) recommends that by then the party should have found two items each of levels 3, 4, and 5, as well as a level 6 item and a level 2 item... and 1760 gp.

Gaining access to level 1-3 magic items at shops and such is expected, and indeed, assumed, at this point by the DMG and WotC's Living Realms.

The first three magic items your adventurers will need are weapons or implements, armor, and neck slot items (cloaks, chokers, amulets, etc.), as these will give bonuses to defenses and offenses. Follow the DMG's guidelines for wealth and you'll probably be fine.

Hal
2008-12-11, 12:28 PM
This is how our DM did it: When we found "treasure," he would have us roll as a group for who got first access. If there were 3 magic items, it went in order of who rolled highest compared to who had the need.

By the time we'd had a few encounters, everyone in the party would have at least one magic item of their level, one +1 level, and one -1 level.

If you got to have a magic item, the DM basically let you decide what you'd get. This is seriously unrealistic stuff, but it lets people build their character however they want without having to pass out heaps of gold and then trying to be realistic about what's in the shops.

Oracle_Hunter
2008-12-11, 03:53 PM
Also: use the Treasure Packet guidelines in the DMG. These are great at helping you figure out what magic is appropriate to give out at each level.

That doesn't mean you have to stick by it, of course, particularly if your PCs spend all their money on wine and whores (true story! :smalleek:)